Movies We've Seen Thread

It's supposed to be predictable and washed out. That's why the cat is there, because they realized that people in the theater would be incapable of letting go of the fact that the movie doesn't have a plot. The Coens are smarter than you are, if you can predict something that's going to happen in any of their films, it's because they let you.

I meant that I found the actions of the character "predictable" because he, like me, is a narcissistic A-hole who ritually burns bridges. I loved the movie. Didn't mean that the plot was predictable. Just playing off of Thor's joke.

I meant that I found the actions of the character "predictable" because he, like me, is a narcissistic A-hole who ritually burns bridges. I loved the movie. Didn't mean that the plot was predictable. Just playing off of Thor's joke.

Not buying this. I guess I have a hard time believing that you actually enjoyed a movie.

I've been on a big late 60s thru early 80s Sci-Fi kick lately because of Oblivion, (by far the most unappreciated movie of the year, $1 million says it becomes way more admired over time). This past week I caught Silent Running and Westworld. Such an incredible era for the genre that seems to have been forgotten about which Kosinski did a very fitting tribute to.

You know what sucks? During the cyber sex scene, all I wanted to do was yell out "AM I NOT MERCIFUL!?!?"in the theater. Would have brought the house down. I chickened out.

Hahaha... yeah, that wouldv'e been epic.

I was at a local improv show and the bar was at the back of the room. Coming back to my seat the guy on stage puts me on the spot and says, "Sir, what would you do with a million dollars?"

Without skipping a beat, and in the appropriate voice, I say, "Two chicks at the saaaaaame time."

Biggest laugh of the night. 

Sometimes you just gotta let it fly!!! :D

Was this in a hospice care center?

No, it was in a local improv show - everything is relative smarty pants. I know it wasn't "ground breaking comedic moment of the year", BUT it was the best laugh of the night relative to how awful the improv group was. LOL

No, it was in a local improv show - everything is relative smarty pants. I know it wasn't "ground breaking comedic moment of the year", BUT it was the best laugh of the night relative to how awful the improv group was. LOL

I can actually vouch for this. I've been to Second City a few times now, and what inevitably gets the biggest laughs are recycled Office Space lines.

I can actually vouch for this. I've been to Second City a few times now, and what inevitably gets the biggest laughs are recycled Office Space lines.

I think Chicago kind of overrates its comedy scene because of its history. Nowadays I think it's on the weak side. Certainly not remotely on par with NY. When the biggest standup club in town is The Laugh Factory that's a problem.

I think Chicago kind of overrates its comedy scene because of its history. Nowadays I think it's on the weak side. Certainly not remotely on par with NY. When the biggest standup club in town is The Laugh Factory that's a problem.

It's a troupe city, not a standup city. I've actually never been to a standup show here.

I sat and watched Jack Reacher the other night. I just remembered hearing how it was Cruise's best film in a while, and I have no shame admitting that I like most of his brainless action movies.

This was awful. 

I'm sitting on the couch and we were literally calling out what's going to happen next, and next, and next... and when the female lead, who is attractive, but has a horrible voice, is shoving her cleavage at the camera, my wife and I simultaneously laughed and said, "oh wow, she was totally coached to do that by the director". 

Mind you, I love me some boobies... but there are ways you can accomplish adding subtle sexiness to a scene, without doing it like a first time director. It wasn't artistic, and is a microcosm of the bigger issues I had with this whole pitiful movie.

I sat and watched Jack Reacher the other night. I just remembered hearing how it was Cruise's best film in a while, and I have no shame admitting that I like most of his brainless action movies.

This was awful. 

I'm sitting on the couch and we were literally calling out what's going to happen next, and next, and next... and when the female lead, who is attractive, but has a horrible voice, is shoving her cleavage at the camera, my wife and I simultaneously laughed and said, "oh wow, she was totally coached to do that by the director". 

Mind you, I love me some boobies... but there are ways you can accomplish adding subtle sexiness to a scene, without doing it like a first time director. It wasn't artistic, and is a microcosm of the bigger issues I had with this whole pitiful movie.

Tom Cruise and George Clooney each are now basically telling directors they will simply be Tom Cruise and George Clooney in their movies. nNeither will play a bad or even complicated person, and never a villian.Cruise plays smart alec heroic guy, Clooney world weary smart guy.Clooney in "Gsvity" is the same as in "The Descendants", "Michael Clayton", you name it. They are each the same person in every movie. At a loss why they both keep doing this as  they may be well paid and in demand but it's pretty boring.

Edited by Bugg

This was awful.

Jack Reacher is getting a sequel. Dredd is not. And this is why I hate people.

Tom Cruise and George Clooney each are now basically telling directors they will simply be Tom Cruise and George Clooney in their movies. nNeither will play a bad or even complicated person, and never a villian.Cruise plays smart alec heroic guy, Clooney world weary smart guy.Clooney in "Gsvity" is the same as in "The Descendants", "Michael Clayton", you name it. They are each the same person in every movie. At a loss why they both keep doing this as  they may be well paid and in demand but it's pretty boring.

Very true. Clooney has such a low talent ceiling, it amazes me that he's heralded as an all-time great. It's mind boggling.

Was the new Dredd good? I haven't even considered watching it.

I'm biased because I'm a lifelong 2000 AD fan, but I don't think there's ever been a truer comic to screen adaption of anything. The fact that Urban was able to totally redeem the character after Stallone butchered it speaks volumes.

Edited by RutgersJetFan
  • Upvote 2

This was awful. 

That movie sucked.  We also watched it to the end, but only barely. It was like a lame version of those late 80's Arnold movies. Might have worked as a TV movie. 

I also saw Guilt Trip recently.

How did Seth Rogan become famous? I, uh, I can't even justify having an opinion about this movie. Horrid.

That's easy.  Weed. 

Didn't Cruise play a villian in that movie where Ray Charles drove the cab?  More calculated than pure evil, but not much in the way of redeeming qualities IIRC.

Jack Reacher is getting a sequel. Dredd is not. And this is why I hate people.

Dear God.  Say it aint so!

That movie sucked.  We also watched it to the end, but only barely. It was like a lame version of those late 80's Arnold movies. Might have worked as a TV movie. 

That's easy.  Weed. 

Didn't Cruise play a villian in that movie where Ray Charles drove the cab?  More calculated than pure evil, but not much in the way of redeeming qualities IIRC.

LOL

Cruise was actually pretty good as the bad guy in that movie. Ironically, I was just watching the episode of Workaholics last night where they kick the raccoon and the homeless guy and Ders are talking about that movie.

Which brings us back to weed.

Edited by Integrity28

The odd thing is that there's enough interest in Dredd to justify making the sequel. Garland already had plans for a second script. Urban wants in. It absolutely crushed it on Blu Ray and iTunes sales and the movie still gets great reviews almost 2 years later. And on top of it all there's an online petition with almost 100k signatures asking for it. Hollywood is just gutless.

I'm biased because I'm a lifelong 2000 AD fan, but I don't think there's ever been a truer comic to screen adaption of anything. The fact that Urban was able to totally redeem the character after Stallone butchered it speaks volumes.

I've watched a handful of scenes. I'm having a hard time getting past the stupid helmet the Robocop speech patterns, but I'll check it out. I kinda dig the blonde rookie tagging along with him, she has that sexy overbite and naive eyes thing going on.

I've watched a handful of scenes. I'm having a hard time getting past the stupid helmet the Robocop speech patterns, but I'll check it out. I kinda dig the blonde rookie tagging along with him, she has that sexy overbite and naive eyes thing going on.

Anderson is a key character in 2000 AD and they got her down perfect. They did an interview with John Wagner when the movie was released and he commented a few times that she was his favorite part of the flick.

And a guy in a stupid helmet isn't capable of kicking Batman's ass.

jog1.jpg

• Upvote 1

The odd thing is that there's enough interest in Dredd to justify making the sequel. Garland already had plans for a second script. Urban wants in. It absolutely crushed it on Blu Ray and iTunes sales and the movie still gets great reviews almost 2 years later. And on top of it all there's an online petition with almost 100k signatures asking for it. Hollywood is just gutless.

To be honest I'm not that worried about a Dredd sequel.  I didn't see the one you are talking about because I saw the Stallone version.  I get it confused with Demolition Man and there was nothing redeeming in either except the 4-4-2 and maybe that crappy Police song.  I am much more concerned with the world having to put up with T0m Cruise playing a  6'6" drifter again. 

Edited by #27TheDominator