Interesting stuff on Plaxico from ESPN SportScience

T0mShane

If you're not familiar with the show, it's basically a Mythbusters-esque deal where they break down plays and players using physics, kinesiology, etc. They're the dudes who worked out Jason Pierre Paul and raved about his freakish explosion, and then Pierre-Paul went out and showed freakish explosiveness.

Anyway, they worked out Plaxico a few weeks after he got out of prison and ran him through a battery of tests and came away impressed:

--Apparently, Plax spent his prison time working out his core muscles and his legs--things he'd never focused on before. The results are that he has increased his explosiveness, so much so that his vertical leap has actually improved. Pretty crazy, considering he could already sky.

--They tested his route-running by making him run routes twice--once without, then with a blindfold. He ran them exactly the same with or without the blindfold. Sounded like a weird test, but they said it's a unique athletic ability.

--Basically, they said that Plax is essentially a better athlete now (because of his increased leg and trunk strength) than he was before he went into the joint.

Just some minor tidbits, but it's great to hear that Plax wasn't sitting in his cell trying to buy anally-imported heroin balloons.

If you're not familiar with the show, it's basically a Mythbusters-esque deal where they break down plays and players using physics, kinesiology, etc. They're the dudes who worked out Jason Pierre Paul and raved about his freakish explosion, and then Pierre-Paul went out and showed freakish explosiveness.

Anyway, they worked out Plaxico a few weeks after he got out of prison and ran him through a battery of tests and came away impressed:

--Apparently, Plax spent his prison time working out his core muscles and his legs--things he'd never focused on before. The results are that he has increased his explosiveness, so much so that his vertical leap has actually improved. Pretty crazy, considering he could already sky.

--They tested his route-running by making him run routes twice--once without, then with a blindfold. He ran them exactly the same with or without the blindfold. Sounded like a weird test, but they said it's a unique athletic ability.

--Basically, they said that Plax is essentially a better athlete now (because of his increased leg and trunk strength) than he was before he went into the joint.

Just some minor tidbits, but it's great to hear that Plax wasn't sitting in his cell trying to buy anally-imported heroin balloons.

He kind of has that Randy Moss makes it look easy attribute.

I forgot how much of a beast Plax was....hell we should have drafted him back in 2000. Hopefully this sports science rings true.

The bolded only made me say "holy sh*t". That's impressive. Thanks for the info man, all great stuff to hear. Let's hope this signing works out as well as it could, because it could be huge for Sanchez and this offense.

I've never seen that show.

I think it's on opposite "Finding Bigfoot" on Animal Planet.

Did they do any tests on his down field blocking?

They did 1 with Jenkins i think right before his first career ending injury.

Its good to hear Plax is in such great shape . With his tremendous size he will be a nice threat in the red zone and moving the chains. The Jets need to be really focused on how they use him and not over work his a$$ since at that age it becomes harder to recover from the bumps and bruises of a full season. I would love to see him nice and freash come playoff time.

Honestly, until I see it translate onto a football field I'm not buying anything. I like the pickup as there's such a small risk, but I still can't just ignore the fact that he's been away from football from 2 years, removed from all the top class training facilities that other pro athletes can utilize AND is turning 34 anyways, an age where even the best would generally slow down and decline.

It's promising to hear, but I want to see it. To be fair the guy just raised my interest in pre-season by 100%

Honestly, until I see it translate onto a football field I'm not buying anything. I like the pickup as there's such a small risk, but I still can't just ignore the fact that he's been away from football from 2 years, removed from all the top class training facilities that other pro athletes can utilize AND is turning 34 anyways, an age where even the best would generally slow down and decline.

It's promising to hear, but I want to see it. To be fair the guy just raised my interest in pre-season by 100%

Looks like somebody never saw rocky iii.

Didn't catch it.. Good show though. I think they also profiled the Pats first round drafk pick and came away immpressed.. fwiw

It was an honor and a privilege to watch him avoid risk like crusher avoids vegetables

I don;t avoid them I fry them.

I don't think that's a fair comparison unless somebody forced a years worth of vegetables down Crusher's throat every time the Jets played the Patriots or were in the playoffs.

...I have gravy with that?

This is actually great news. I really haven't been too gung ho about Plex all together replacing Edwards on a one year rental at 34. Still not, but this made me feel a little better. Excited to see if there's any legitimacy. Maybe he's got a good year or two left after this one.

Pats fan chiming in:

I think that two years in prison saves your body from getting hit (not hit on - LOL), so Plax has that going for him. But, c'mon, your timing is 'gonna be off. Not just on the field, everywhere. I have no idea how long ot will take to get the timing back - could be just a month....but to think your timing bounces right back is naive.

There was a half-way house near the college I went to (and yes, these are not elite athletes). The people living in the half-way house were men just released from prison transitioning into the community. You always new who these dudes were. It was almost comical to see these men - who grew up in urban Boston, Worcester - trying to cross a street. It was like they were learning to walk again. Timid, relunctant - their timing was way off.

Pats fan chiming in:

I think that two years in prison saves your body from getting hit (not hit on - LOL), so Plax has that going for him. But, c'mon, your timing is 'gonna be off. Not just on the field, everywhere. I have no idea how long ot will take to get the timing back - could be just a month....but to think your timing bounces right back is naive.

There was a half-way house near the college I went to (and yes, these are not elite athletes). The people living in the half-way house were men just released from prison transitioning into the community. You always new who these dues were. It was almost comical to see these men - who grew up in urban Boston, Worcester - trying to cross a street. It was like they were learning to walk again. Timid, relunctant - their timing was way off.

Okay, its not like since Plexico has been in prison that the world is drastically different. I mean, I know cell phones are big these days and cars can now be hybrids, but I doubt his world is rocked by how different it is before he was locked up.

Timing on the field, sure...but having difficulties crossing the street? Come'on.

Pats fan chiming in:

I think that blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

There was a half-way house near the college I went to and blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Fixed ;)

Okay, its not like since Plexico has been in prison that the world is drastically different. I mean, I know cell phones are big these days and cars can now be hybrids, but I doubt his world is rocked by how different it is before he was locked up.

Timing on the field, sure...but having difficulties crossing the street? Come'on.

You must be unfamiliar with Boston traffic and above ground subways.

riverway3.jpg

This picture shows light traffic, btw.

Okay, its not like since Plexico has been in prison that the world is drastically different.

Dear fellas,

I can't believe how fast things move on the outside. I saw a smartphone once when I was a kid, but now they're everywhere. The world went and got itself in a big damn hurry. The parole board got me into this halfway house called "The Brewer" and a job bagging groceries at the Shoprite. It's hard work and I try to keep up, but my hands hurt most of the time. I don't think the store manager likes me very much. Sometimes after work, I go to the park and feed Randy Moss. I keep thinking Eli or Ben might just show up and say hello, but they never do. I hope wherever they are, they're doin' okay and makin' new friends.

I have trouble sleepin' at night. I have bad dreams like I'm falling. I wake up scared. Sometimes it takes me a while to remember where I am. Maybe I should get me a gun and shoot myself in the leg again so they'd send me home. I could shoot Tom Coughlin while I was at it, sort of like a bonus. I guess I'm too old for that sort of nonsense any more. I don't like it here. I'm tired of being afraid all the time. I've decided not to stay. I doubt they'll kick up any fuss. Not for an old crook like me.

Wait...looks like I'm getting a call from Rex Ryan.

Dear fellas,

I can't believe how fast things move on the outside. I saw a smartphone once when I was a kid, but now they're everywhere. The world went and got itself in a big damn hurry. The parole board got me into this halfway house called "The Brewer" and a job bagging groceries at the Shoprite. It's hard work and I try to keep up, but my hands hurt most of the time. I don't think the store manager likes me very much. Sometimes after work, I go to the park and feed Randy Moss. I keep thinking Eli or Ben might just show up and say hello, but they never do. I hope wherever they are, they're doin' okay and makin' new friends.

I have trouble sleepin' at night. I have bad dreams like I'm falling. I wake up scared. Sometimes it takes me a while to remember where I am. Maybe I should get me a gun and shoot myself in the leg again so they'd send me home. I could shoot Tom Coughlin while I was at it, sort of like a bonus. I guess I'm too old for that sort of nonsense any more. I don't like it here. I'm tired of being afraid all the time. I've decided not to stay. I doubt they'll kick up any fuss. Not for an old crook like me.

Everything made sense untill the call from Rex Ryan. He's been locked up too long to know how to operate a phone.

Yep, I'm sure Plexico after 2 years in the slammer, wouldnt be able to figure out Boston's traffic and how to cross the street.

Good call.

Jiffy, that's not what I am saying. What I am saying is that the transition back onto the field will not be seemless. The example (halfway house, boston traffic) I used to prove a my point sucked. I know.

Dear fellas,

:D excellent

Jiffy, that's not what I am saying. What I am saying is that the transition back onto the field will not be seemless. The example (halfway house, boston traffic) I used to prove a my point sucked. I know.

I know, I was busting on ya shorty. Obviously there will be some timing issues...but I think if there's 1 position that you can be out of in the NFL for a while and still produce...it would be the WR position. Its not as heavily reliant on what others are doing. At the end of the day, you just need to get open and have a QB that can get you the ball.

Hell, if Mike Williams can be a complete and utter bust, quit the NFL, get up to 300lbs and then make the comeback he did last season in Seattle of all places...I'm confident Plexico will be just fine.

yet he can run a pattern blind folded. LOL

Magic

If the people u speak of were allowed to cross a busy street everyday when they were locked up even if it was just 1 crossing do u think they would have the same problem?

Plaxico to my knowledge was allowed to run routes and had other inmates throw him passes just about everyday.

If u want to say Plax needs to get used to the speed of the game again yea fine, but simple sh*t he has done his whole life including when he was in jail no.

Pats fan chiming in:

There was a half-way house near the college I went to (and yes, these are not elite athletes). The people living in the half-way house were men just released from prison transitioning into the community. You always new who these dudes were. It was almost comical to see these men - who grew up in urban Boston, Worcester - trying to cross a street. It was like they were learning to walk again. Timid, relunctant - their timing was way off.

They were just walking slow, ya know, casing the other pedestrians looking for a purse to snatch. Once they got that purse ya should a seen them run their routes

Archived