Rex Ryan Wasn't Watching Jets Offense

Vudu

Rex Ryan: I wasn’t watching the Jets’ offense

Asked after the game about his team’s quarterback competition, Jets coach Rex Ryan had an easy way to avoid committing one way or the other: He said he wasn’t paying attention.

Ryan said he was mostly focused on the defense in Friday night’s preseason loss to the Lions, and so he doesn’t have a strong opinion about how the offense played.

“I had my own issues on the other side of the ball, so I really never focused a whole lot when he was in there,” Ryan said of rookie quarterback Geno Smith, according to the New York Post.

When reporters asked Ryan about Mark Sanchez throwing an interception that was returned for a touchdown on the Jets’ first possession, Ryan said he didn’t see that throw, either, although he did look up in time to see Detroit rookie Ziggy Ansah running into the end zone.

“We’ll see it on tape. You guys probably saw more plays than I did,” Ryan told reporters.

You’d think the head coach would want to pay attention to his team’s quarterback battle, which very well may shape the future of the franchise. But perhaps Ryan is just going to ignore the situation and let John Idzik make the decision.

This story is overblown. Why would any lame duck coach waste any time focusing on the only two players that can possibly save his job? It's like, irrelevant.

Rex is going to coach this year like he expects to be a defensive coordinator next season.

the both suck. so what is the only chance he has to save his job ?

c'mon, you can do it....

I've seen coaches all the time talking to units on the sideline.  I've seen Belichick do it, I've seen Andy Reid doing it, etc.  As usual, I think people are blowing this out of proportion again, just like everything with this team.

I've seen coaches all the time talking to units on the sideline.  I've seen Belichick do it, I've seen Andy Reid doing it, etc.  As usual, I think people are blowing this out of proportion again, just like everything with this team.

“I had my own issues on the other side of the ball, so I really never focused a whole lot when he was in there,” Ryan said of rookie quarterback Geno Smith, according to the New York Post.

While I have no problem with him spending more time with the defense, it seems a bit negligent to not pay attention to your quarterback of the future.

He's not a defensive coordinator.  Things like clock management that are not exclusive to the defensive side of the ball are his responsibility and are ignored to the detriment of the team.

While I have no problem with him spending more time with the defense, it seems a bit negligent to not pay attention to your quarterback of the future.

He's not a defensive coordinator.  Things like clock management that are not exclusive to the defensive side of the ball are his responsibility and are ignored to the detriment of the team.

how was clock management ignored ?

just curious

how was clock management ignored ?

just curious

It wasn't in this case.  Rex has done some very strange things with clock management over the course of his tenure.  I was using it as an example of the type of thing that a does not fall under the responsibility of a dc but is part of a head coach's job. 

I don't think that Rex spending 70% of his time with the defense is necessarily a bad thing.  I do think that paying attention to the two players competing to be the starting quarterback is probably something that a head coach should be doing.

It wasn't in this case.  Rex has done some very strange things with clock management over the course of his tenure.  I was using it as an example of the type of thing that a does not fall under the responsibility of a dc but is part of a head coach's job. 

I don't think that Rex spending 70% of his time with the defense is necessarily a bad thing.  I do think that paying attention to the two players competing to be the starting quarterback is probably something that a head coach should be doing.

oh.

so teaching during a pre-season game isn't the end of the world

k

Rex is a DC and will always be a DC.

His comment is damning in its honesty. If he had any self awareness he wouldve said he needed to see the tape first because he didnt get a good view.

Five years and he still doesnt realize he is responsible for every unit on the team.

Rex is a DC and will always be a DC.

His comment is damning in its honesty. If he had any self awareness he wouldve said he needed to see the tape first because he didnt get a good view.

Five years and he still doesnt realize he is responsible for every unit on the team.

no, he does not.  and he is still making the kind of comments no other head coach would even consider making.  he makes himself look like a fool.

rex may be the only valuable asset this team has, outside of cro, mo, Q, mangold and brick

lets get rid of him !!!!!!

the Jets have 4 or 5 good players other teams have 20 good players.  If rex can get this team anywhere near .500 it will be a miracle. The playoffs would be a coach of the year performance. the Jets are talent free right now it's not a good situation for any head coach. Honestly I'd rather have Rex coming up with nasty blitzes cause that's at least something. 

the Jets have 4 or 5 good players other teams have 20 good players. If rex can get this team anywhere near .500 it will be a miracle. The playoffs would be a coach of the year performance. the Jets are talent free right now it's not a good situation for any head coach. Honestly I'd rather have Rex coming up with nasty blitzes cause that's at least something.

I know you can't be serious but I still hate you, with JiF on vacation I have more time to focus my anger on you

Rich Cimini thinks this is no big deal.

1. A Rex-storm: I think people are getting carried away with Rex Ryan's admission that he missed plays on offense -- including a lot of Geno Smith -- because he was too busy with the defense on the sideline. Granted, it was highly unusual for a head coach to admit such a thing; most coaches would've talked around it by saying, "I need to watch the tape." But let's remember one thing: It was a preseason game. If it had been the regular season, yes, he'd deserve criticism.

Presumably, Ryan is using the preseason to fix a defense that has seven new starters. When the real games start, he'll be in head-coach mode, managing the entire game -- at least he'd better be. He took a heavy-handed approach with the defense in 2009 and 2010, and that didn't stop the Jets from making the playoffs, did it?

Rich Cimini.

Archived