Why was the draft pushed back ?

JetsFanInDenver

Its getting really really slow on the football front. Last year the draft was held in the last week of April.

So if we still had the draft in the last week of April like we have had forever we would have been in the thick of it, talking about everything draft. But this year it was pushed back by 2 weeks. So there is this lull. No football news, no action on the football front, a void. Somehow not sure if i could passion back up for the draft in May. A few people i know feel the same way. Also as these weeks go by the weather gets better and in May there are always better things to do outside.

Now NFL does not do anything unless they figure out they can make some money. Why was the draft pushed back and was it a smart move ?

I think they wanted to accomplish a few things by moving it back.  It gave teams more time to evaluate players and for injuries to heal for pro days and things like that.  It also provided additional time for teams to devote to free agency instead of dealing with all the draft preparation.  And lastly and probably most important was that it spread out the football timeline and made the offseason go from the Super Bowl into free agency into the draft and then right into OTA's to keep the offseason excitement up all year round.

Pretty sure there was a scheduling conflict at Radio City.

They couldn't move it to MSG or the Nets arena in Brooklyn.

MSG maybe, but the Garden has no relationship with the Barclay's Center in Brooklyn.  They would hate that.  MSG owns Radio City.  That is why they moved it there from the Felt Forum or whatever they call it this days.  I always used to go and stick my head it when it was running concurrent with a Knicks or Rangers game. 

I though the reason was to keep the NFL relevant for every month in the calendar.

I think this backfires. Most people i know dont seem to be as enthused about the draft as they would be.Maybe that changes as we get closer.

$MONEY$ 

How are they making more money ? Care to elaborate.

the networks own the NFL.  when they say move it to primetime, the NFL says "yes master"

Other way around. Between the huge popularity the game is now enjoying and more importantly in the days of dvr/TiVo it is one of the few programming choices the network has where they can guarantee advertisers near 100% live veiwership, which is advertising gold. NFL calls the shots.

Other way around. Between the huge popularity the game is now enjoying and more importantly in the days of dvr/TiVo it is one of the few programming choices the network has where they can guarantee advertisers near 100% live veiwership, which is advertising gold. NFL calls the shots.

without the TV deal, the NFL is soccer.

networks call the shots because they pay the bills

great example is the flex schedule in prime time.  NFL doesn't give a sh*t who plays on sunday night, but the big boss does

The NFL Channel has reported an answer to this conspiracy. Apparently the Rocketts had a show scheduled which conflicted with the Draft dates when it was time to set the Official Draft Date. Rather than move the location they move the date ahead 2 weeks. The NFL also thought the extra 2 weeks would spark more fan interest and give more time for free agents to sign new deals. Then sometime after the new date of May 8th, the Rocketts cancelled the show. Hope this helps.

This blows. I hope the draft date goes back to april next year. There is this huge lull now and frankly, kind kills some of the mojo. May and the first half of june is when Baseball heats up so we need the NFL draft at the end of April to keep the Sports Calendar moving.

Archived