Jets to have around $60 mil in cap space in 2015

LAD_Brooklyn

You win by spending out wisely and building through the draft. Two concepts Tannenbaum was as well versed in as his punt returning

you win by getting a really good quarterback, building a line that will give him clean pockets, and some good receiving options.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you win by getting a really good quarterback, building a line that will give him clean pockets, and some good receiving options.

Overspending in FA, extending guys like Sanchez and having 3 picks a year really helped with that. I'm mad that Idzik hasn't got is Andrew Luck also.

Overspending in FA, extending guys like Sanchez and having 3 picks a year really helped with that. I'm mad that Idzik hasn't got is Andrew Luck also.

how not to win:

giving a mediocre quarterback a huge contract extension because peyton manning laughed in your face

Agree  - which is why I think Mosley is a real likelihood at #18 if available.

Not the worst idea (a LB to replace Harris), but wrong prospect. If you're using a first on a pure linebacker go Shazier. Similar size bu way better athlete with a similarly long and decorated playing career.

http://nfltraderumors.co/2015-nfl-free-agents-list/

Mike Iupati is one player I would love to get next off season from the 49ers.

Guys like Dez Bryant, Crabtree, Julio Jone, AJ Green, Jordy Nelson, D. Thomas, Torrey Smith and Cobb along with some other guys like Marshall and White (more so cause of age) don't seem like realistic options. I like Randolph, J. Thomas (TE Denver), Jordan Cameron but can't see them hitting the market either.

If that is the plan, they better be drafting QB's every season. No QB worth a damn is getting into FA ever again. I think Jay Cutler proved that pretty clear. He sucks, and got a ridiculous contract so that he would not be a FA. I don't think this would be a wise strategy at all. Like not working with the hopes of winning the lottery.

I don't think it is an actual viable plan, but I'm sure there are plenty of QBs who would test FA for $60M.  If only to drive their current teams prices up.

http://nfltraderumors.co/2015-nfl-free-agents-list/

Mike Iupati is one player I would love to get next off season from the 49ers.

Guys like Dez Bryant, Crabtree, Julio Jone, AJ Green, Jordy Nelson, D. Thomas, Torrey Smith and Cobb along with some other guys like Marshall and White (more so cause of age) don't seem like realistic options. I like Randolph, J. Thomas (TE Denver), Jordan Cameron but can't see them hitting the market either.

Out of the first eight or so players you mentioned, the only one that I could see making it to free agency would be Crabtree.  As Slats or Dom mentioned earlier, there's only a dozen or so true #1 WRs in the league, they rarely ever hit the open market. The only way to get one is to draft one. I think we finally have the opportunity to do that this year, but we'll see. 

Thank GOD they didn't give CJ that extra mill.

This...I got criticized for suggesting we throw an extra mil at him...i suggested 2 @ 9...hmmmm, pretty close...Now Im just a doosh who falls in with the spend all the money crowd.

#madden

#youdontgetit

#dont****withtehIdzik

#whataboutspecialteams

#etc

#idzikhasabookofplans

#chapter3FAspendingmax

#neverdeviatefromtheplan

#neverevereverEver

#theremainderissplitamoungstfans

I am being sarcastic. I get a kick out of how much love Idzik is getting. It's as though he is a lock to win a few SB's here because he has this unbreakable formula for building a juggernaut.

Don't get me wrong, I am not anti-Idzik, I just think its comical how much love the guy is getting for doing pretty much nuttin.

the "love" was a reaction to the ridiculous whining 30 minutes into FA.   I can only speak for myself, but all I have been saying is I prefer his approach to tanny's.  The results could be better.  I wanted a starting OG and still want one. 

This is my dream of the Idzik plan.   Develop a solid team with a huge amount of cap space and treat it almost like tampering for a QB.  Let them know we will spend on one.  Maybe somebody will want to come here to win when their deal is up.  

you could do worse than a good defense and a running game.  If we get a WR or two, it will be a nice situation for a QB

the "love" was a reaction to the ridiculous whining 30 minutes into FA.   I can only speak for myself, but all I have been saying is I prefer his approach to tanny's.  The results could be better.  I wanted a starting OG and still want one. 

Early on Tanny had a very similar approach. The only way any approach works is if you bring in talent, either via the draft, via FA or both. If his drafts are not very good, the Jets will suck

You win by spending it wisely and building through the draft. Two concepts Tannenbaum was as well versed in as his punt returning

Say what you wish but as GM Tanny got us to within 1 game of the SB twice. He was far from perfect but should not be dismissed as a waste.

Say what you wish but as GM Tanny got us to within 1 game of the SB twice. He was far from perfect but should not be dismissed as a waste.

He did it short term. His moves were always going to have us suck after 2010. His huge gambles came close but didn't pan out.

Early on Tanny had a very similar approach. The only way any approach works is if you bring in talent, either via the draft, via FA or both. If his drafts are not very good, the Jets will suck

suck ?  why ?  because they didn't bring in DR "business decision"C ?

he has brought talent in via FA

Vick

Decker

Johnson

Breno

lets also consider his key re-sigings, cumberland and colon and Pace.  that's 3 starters right there. McIntyre is a good teams player.  he locked up a clutch kicker and answered many prayers buy flushing sanchez and holmes

he is using the 5th year option on the teams best player, and talking to him about an extension this monday

little signings like patterson and ford give you flexibility and depth

WTF is the problem here ?

suck ?  why ?  because they didn't bring in DR "business decision"C ?

he has brought talent in via FA

Vick

Decker

Johnson

Breno

lets also consider his key re-sigings, cumberland and colon and Pace.  that's 3 starters right there. McIntyre is a good teams player.  he locked up a clutch kicker and answered many prayers buy flushing sanchez and holmes

he is using the 5th year option on the teams best player, and talking to him about an extension this monday

little signings like patterson and ford give you flexibility and depth

WTF is the problem here ?

Who said there is a problem? Certainly not me.

This is the kind of crap I am talking about, it's like if your not giving Idzik a reach around you are claiming there is a problem.

All I am saying is can we wait before we order his Canton induction?

He may turn out to be a genius, he may turn out to be the greatest GM of all time. But as of now he really has not done anything at all, certainly not enough for all the reach arounds he's getting.

His draft from last year looks OK, considering he had a lot of high picks, that is not saying much.

I am not criticizing him, really just criticizing all the reach arounds the guy has gotten for not spending on a team that was 6-10 last offseason and no cap space, and a team that no matter what he does this offseason is not contending seriously.  

Huge difference from saying there is a problem

Who said there is a problem? Certainly not me.

This is the kind of crap I am talking about, it's like if your not giving Idzik a reach around you are claiming there is a problem.

All I am saying is can we wait before we order his Canton induction?

He may turn out to be a genius, he may turn out to be the greatest GM of all time. But as of now he really has not done anything at all, certainly not enough for all the reach arounds he's getting.

His draft from last year looks OK, considering he had a lot of high picks, that is not saying much.

I am not criticizing him, really just criticizing all the reach arounds the guy has gotten for not spending on a team that was 6-10 last offseason and no cap space, and a team that no matter what he does this offseason is not contending seriously.  

Huge difference from saying there is a problem

"If his drafts are not very good, the Jets will suck"

it's just so ignorant.  He upgraded QB,HB,WR,RT through FREE AGENCY

the only real loss was the weak link last years secondary that everybody was hating on all freaking season

please explain how the roster is worse right now than it was last december.

"If his drafts are not very good, the Jets will suck"

it's just so ignorant.  He upgraded QB,HB,WR,RT through FREE AGENCY

the only real loss was the weak link last years secondary that everybody was hating on all freaking season

please explain how the roster is worse right now than it was last december.

He upgraded WR, and by that replaced Holmes with Decker, wooohoooo, huge upgrade. SB time! Vick sucks, Johnson is no better than what we had, and RT is a wash.

You need to learn  to read. I never ever said the roster was worse than last year, I simply said that "ignorants" like you are making him out to be something he has not proven to be, nor anything close.

And the roster sucked last year, sucked balls. It took our all world HC to turn that garbage roster into an 8-8 team, so a slight improvement at WR does not make a world of difference. 

He upgraded WR, and by that replaced Holmes with Decker, wooohoooo, huge upgrade. SB time! Vick sucks, Johnson is no better than what we had, and RT is a wash.

You need to learn  to read. I never ever said the roster was worse than last year, I simply said that "ignorants" like you are making him out to be something he has not proven to be, nor anything close.

And the roster sucked last year, sucked balls. It took our all world HC to turn that garbage roster into an 8-8 team, so a slight improvement at WR does not make a world of difference. 

you're totally disregarding the draft as more possible answers to WR, TE, etc...

I fully expect the Jets to draft an offensive playmaker in a draft full of offensive playmakers. I could be wrong, but Idzik has been really smart about money so far. He know the best way to build is through the draft. He wants to build through the draft. Those teams sometimes also win Super Bowls. See: Seahawks, Seattle, 2013-14.

There really seems to be a warped perception of what people say about Idzik. Nobody is annointing him king - what they are saying is that his approach and methodology are good. It's a no brainer that if "his draft sucks" the Jets won't do well ( though that's not necessarily true - the Pats have had an average / below average drafts yet have succeeded thanks to FA / coaching and of course a great QB - the latter which covers a lot of mistakes - just think if Rex had Tom Brady). The point is that Idzik has put the Jets in a position to succeed and to be very good and to be a stable organization - and yes successful draft picks are a key part. That is an important part of his success and him being a successful GM. For now he seemss to be making the right moves and at this moment in time deserves high marks.

There really seems to be a warped perception of what people say about Idzik. Nobody is annointing him king - what they are saying is that his approach and methodology are good. It's a no brainer that if "his draft sucks" the Jets won't do well ( though that's not necessarily true - the Pats have had an average / below average drafts yet have succeeded thanks to FA / coaching and of course a great QB - the latter which covers a lot of mistakes - just think if Rex had Tom Brady). The point is that Idzik has put the Jets in a position to succeed and to be very good and to be a stable organization - and yes successful draft picks are a key part. That is an important part of his success and him being a successful GM. For now he seemss to be making the right moves and at this moment in time deserves high marks.

I don't think that perception is warped at all. its hard to argue with what jetsfanincanada has to say. idzik has upgraded wr, back up qb, and a quicker (high mileage)receiving threat out of the backfield while leaving the jets with financial flexibility. that's the good part. he also has left the jets with a gaping hole at a starting corner back and question marks at guard and tackle. that's the bad part. hardly a ringing endorsement and not the greatest position entering the draft. I would feel much better with a starting cb and at least a guard who can last a full season, entering the draft with no dire needs and a true best player mentality. while I don't think idzik is doing a horrible job, I don't believe he is going a great job, either. building a team thru the draft is a wonderful thing. so far idziks drafting has produced 1 A+ player and 6 question marks, while I have high hopes for some of the picks, I remain VERY cautiously optimistic. I want to see what idzik does with his own scouting department, with 12 draft picks, in a very deep draft. until idzik proves himself, I will criticize or applaud his moves as I see them

I don't think that perception is warped at all. its hard to argue with what jetsfanincanada has to say. idzik has upgraded wr, back up qb, and a quicker (high mileage)receiving threat out of the backfield while leaving the jets with financial flexibility. that's the good part. he also has left the jets with a gaping hole at a starting corner back and question marks at guard and tackle. that's the bad part. hardly a ringing endorsement and not the greatest position entering the draft. I would feel much better with a starting cb and at least a guard who can last a full season, entering the draft with no dire needs and a true best player mentality. while I don't think idzik is doing a horrible job, I don't believe he is going a great job, either. building a team thru the draft is a wonderful thing. so far idziks drafting has produced 1 A+ player and 6 question marks, while I have high hopes for some of the picks, I remain VERY cautiously optimistic. I want to see what idzik does with his own scouting department, with 12 draft picks, in a very deep draft. until idzik proves himself, I will criticize or applaud his moves as I see them

they have 12 picks to fill one, two holes.   You can still get starters out there.  not a guy to impress stoic or willy, but starters.  Cro sucked all last year, he was bailing before the snap for crying out loud

Its easter people

they have 12 picks to fill one, two holes.   You can still get starters out there.  not a guy to impress stoic or willy, but starters.  Cro sucked all last year, he was bailing before the snap for crying out loud

Its easter people

there are things I like about idzik and things I don't. just like tanny,bradway,parcels,etc.I calls them the ways I sees them

your point was if he doesn't bring in players through other means than the draft, his draft would have to be great.  I pointed out that he has

If you choose to ignore the significance of FA signings johnson, vick, breno, patterson, cumberland, pace, colon that's on you

what has flashy signings ever done for anyone ?  I've read the dolphins already regret the deal they gave wallace

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1954437-miami-dolphins-free-agent-spending-spree-in-2013-may-have-negative-effect

but c'mom dude. 2 holes in april ?  2 !

there is really only 1 hole, but there are LOTS  of weaknesses. the starting corner role is a huge hole. it was the Achilles heal of the defense last year. it seemed like a simple enough fix. idzik tried on many occasions to get it done. just didn't do it for one reason or another. is it the end of the world? no. but I am not patting idzik on the back for that failure. could they grab a corner in the draft? absolutely.in fact I am 99% positive that they will. will said corner be affective this year? most likely not. the jets will have more of the same as last year. a leaky back end. as far as guard goes, that should have been a priority upgrade. instead, idzik lost out on Schwartz for whatever reason and signed colon. while I like colon when he plays, he hasn't finished a year since 2009. these 2 positions were simple fixes considering the means in which idzik had at his disposal all the while setting up idziks draft as a reach free zone. again, end of the world? no. but not an optimal position,either

You need to learn to read. I never ever said the roster was worse than last year, I simply said that "ignorants" like you are making him out to be something he has not proven to be, nor anything close.

I might try church today just so I can talk to somebody and be forgiven for how much I hate you.

your point was if he doesn't bring in players through other means than the draft, his draft would have to be great.  I pointed out that he has

If you choose to ignore the significance of FA signings johnson, vick, breno, patterson, cumberland, pace, colon that's on you

what has flashy signings ever done for anyone ?  I've read the dolphins already regret the deal they gave wallace

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1954437-miami-dolphins-free-agent-spending-spree-in-2013-may-have-negative-effect

I don't think anyone is ignoring the "significant" signings as you say. but I think the word "significant" comes into play

1. chris Johnson. aging,high mileage, reciving threat out of the backfield. definitely improves the backfield, but I would have preferred a young guy from the draft

2. mike vick. another aging, high mileage back up quartback. not cheap,either. I would have preferred shaun hill or ryan Fitzpatrick

3. breno giacomini. one can argue that breno was a lateral move. but in the end I think they would lose that argument. a better bargain only. the only thing I like about this signing that once they let howard walk, idzik moved quickly to blan B.

4. Patterson. hardly a genuine replacement

5.cumberland. cheap signing with upside. he will get better. that's my belief. not a complete tight end in which the jets desperetly need

6.pace. ancient edge sealer with no real pass rush. keeping the seat warm for the next guy

7. colon. average starting guard with major injury history. the odds of him finishing a season are not really good at this point

some good signings here, but significant is not the word I would have used here

there is really only 1 hole, but there are LOTS  of weaknesses. the starting corner role is a huge hole. it was the Achilles heal of the defense last year. it seemed like a simple enough fix. idzik tried on many occasions to get it done. just didn't do it for one reason or another. is it the end of the world? no. but I am not patting idzik on the back for that failure. could they grab a corner in the draft? absolutely.in fact I am 99% positive that they will. will said corner be affective this year? most likely not. the jets will have more of the same as last year. a leaky back end. as far as guard goes, that should have been a priority upgrade. instead, idzik lost out on Schwartz for whatever reason and signed colon. while I like colon when he plays, he hasn't finished a year since 2009. these 2 positions were simple fixes considering the means in which idzik had at his disposal all the while setting up idziks draft as a reach free zone. again, end of the world? no. but not an optimal position,either

yeah I wanted schwartz too.  I know I'm in the tiny minority that is willing to wait the 3 drafts it will take to fix this team. 

Archived