Jason Babin visits then signs with Jets

NYJetsVets91

I am pretty surprised by this... I think we should have corners visiting. Thoughts?

Jason Babin visits with New York Jets
  • 0ap1000000236552.jpg
  •  

print.png
    g-plus.png
    fb-like.png
    share-button.png

• By Kevin Patra
  • Around the League writer
  • Published: July 23, 2014 at 10:56 a.m.
  • Updated: July 23, 2014 at 11:02 a.m.

The New York Jets are toying with adding another pass rusher.

NFL Media's Kimberly Jones reported Wednesday morning that defensive end Jason Babin visited with the Jets on Monday, according to a source familiar with the team's thinking.

The Jacksonville Jaguarstwice this offseason, cut Babin. The 34-year-old was coming off a productive, 7.5-sack season in 2013 but didn't fit with the youth movement in Jacksonville.

Babin can still rush the passer as a situational player. Given Rex Ryan's affinity for getting after the quarterback from multiple levels, Babin could be an intriguing addition to the coach's defense if helatches on in Florham Park.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000367527/article/jason-babin-visits-with-new-york-jets

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it is such a surprise and I think they are just kicking tires.  Older vets that hang around can often come in cheap and it is good to see what they have in the tank while you evaluate younger players.  These guys do not require as much camp time to get ready.  The board has discussed him a few times in the last couple of years.  I think he and Groves are being considered for the Barnes SPR slot.  I think they will have in corners too, if there are any out there, but there are not going to be any corners to fit what we need.  We have enough intriguing players and no sure thing is out on the street in July.

Good depth sign I guess, this might be a red flag for Barnes since they are the same player. Both him and Barnes do nothing but rush the passer. I'm still suspicious of Babin since the Eagles and the Jags unceremoniously axed him despite getting pretty good sack numbers.

Justin Babin

According to Kimberly Jones the Jets have signed defensive end Jason Babin.

The 34 year old Babin had 7.5 sacks for the Jaguars last year. His biggest years sack wise were in 2010 and 2011 when he had 12.5 sacks for the Titans and then 18 for the Eagles. The New York Jets have a solid defensive line, so it is expected that Babin will be used as a situational pass rusher.  This move could have a big impact on Antwan Barnes, especially as he battles back from his injury. Barnes recently said he is probably past 70%, so the worst case scenario is the Jets added an insurance policy.

You can continue the conversation in our forums and discuss with other Jets fans.

Justin Babin

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
_Dvw1CwwuLQ

View the full article

Haven't seen anyone say it yet but it would make sense to me to keep Wilk fresh for later in season, this could be a move with that thought behind it. Someone was sayinbg how Big mo had a sack every game then in the last few only one because he was tired. Im all for making sure Wilk is strong during the PLAYOFFs

Makes sense, To many Unproven OLB's on the roster, plus It looks more and more like Barnes may be done? 

It certainly doesn't seem like the team has much faith in Barnes to return strong. 

At this point if I had to choose I think I'd pick Babin over Barnes. But who says they can't keep both?

At this point if I had to choose I think I'd pick Babin over Barnes. But who says they can't keep both?

Barnes should be well by now. HIs rehab has been taking forever. SO it might not actually be a choice. It might be that Barnes is done. 

Let's say we keep Barnes on the PUP list and he isn't eligible to play until week 6, he doesn't count towards a roster spot right? If so I think that would be a shrewd move because you never know what injuries could come up by week 6. And if he is 70% right now as he says, why bother rushing him?

Let's say we keep Barnes on the PUP list and he isn't eligible to play until week 6, he doesn't count towards a roster spot right? If so I think that would be a shrewd move because you never know what injuries could come up by week 6. And if he is 70% right now as he says, why bother rushing him?

Players on the pup list do not count towards the 53-man roster.

Archived