GM Candidates

sourceworx

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can't fire the scouting department right away.  There simply isn't enough time to assemble a staff, get full scouting reports, etc.

Start with the GM and coach, and work your way down from there.

as if their reports are worth a damn. they should let the fans make the picks via real time internet voting. i bet we could do better.

I said that Rex had sat in on GM interviews, not that one specifically. But given your recollection of the events surrounding Gamble, I'm not surprised that you got that wrong, too. 

Gamble had an initial interview that went well by all accounts. He had a 2nd interview lined up, and went so far as to cancel an interview with Jacksonville to focus on the Jets job. Then, in the 2nd interview, he made it known to Woody that he wanted to bring in "his guy" (Jim Tomsula of the 49ers), which Woody vetoed. Realizing he wouldn't have the kind of control a GM should, he then declined, and all of a sudden a flurry or reports come out that he "interviewed poorly"? Really? Then why have him back for a 2nd interview to begin with, with everyone acknowledging that his hire was basically fait accompli at that point, if his first interview went so poorly? Because it's all bullsh*t.

Gamble had an initial interview that went well by all accounts. He had a 2nd interview lined up, and went so far as to cancel an interview with Jacksonville to focus on the Jets job. Then, in the 2nd interview, he made it known to Woody that he wanted to bring in "his guy" (Jim Tomsula of the 49ers), which Woody vetoed. Realizing he wouldn't have the kind of control a GM should, he then declined, and all of a sudden a flurry or reports come out that he "interviewed poorly"? Really? Then why have him back for a 2nd interview to begin with, with everyone acknowledging that his hire was basically fait accompli at that point, if his first interview went so poorly? Because it's all bullsh*t.

Christ Almighty, give it up already. Let's worry about what they do now.

I'd love to read an article from that time recounting these facts as only you seem to remember them. I'll wait here. 

Th only qualification I care about for the GM is if he can identify talent. We can find cap guys anywhere. It's seems Idziks here to make Woodys financial decisions and nothing else...

The players have given up. When that happens, the coach needs to be removed.

The QB doesn't take his job seriously and its trickled down. Rex fears discipline and the GM is a figurehead that was brought in to utter buzz words. He's underestimated the fan base...

The players have given up. When that happens, the coach needs to be removed.

Everything needs to be blown up, but I dont think the team has given up.  They were in the game at the half and had no business at all being alive after that start. They're trying, they're just not good.  I dont think its fair to sh*t on the players like that. They're bad enough as it is, calling them quitters seems unfair.

Darrin Walls shouldnt be in the league and he's covering Sammy Watkins.  Couple that with 6 turnovers from your QB's...you could give all the effort in the world and you aint winning.

Get rid of Rex, and get the best GM candidate out there. Get a true football guy in here, let him oversee all football operations.

GM's that are personnel guys hire cap guys to fill in the blanks.  GM's that are financial guys either have strong head coaches to "pick the groceries" or personnel guys to evaluate talent.  Idzik "might" be successful if he had a coach who could evaluate talent on both sides of the ball and a head of player personnel who could organize the draft for him and manage free agent evaluations.  In Bradway and Rex, Idzik has neither...

Everything needs to be blown up, but I dont think the team has given up. They we're in the game at the half and had no business at all being alive after that start. They're trying, they're just not good. I dont think its fair to sh*t on the players like that. They're bad enough as is it, calling them quitters seems unfair.

Darrin Walls shouldnt be in the league and he's covering Sammy Watkins. Couple that with 6 turnovers from your QB's...you could give all the effort in the world and you aint winning.

I'd agree the team plays hard or whatever for Rex. They just don't play smart. The talent isn't good...but every week it's sloppy football and sloppy discipline with the penalties, timeouts etc.

I'd agree the team plays hard or whatever for Rex. They just don't play smart. The talent isn't good...but every week it's sloppy football and sloppy discipline with the penalties, timeouts etc.

They're just not good.  You're expecting bad players who are barely in the league to do good things.  Could they use better coaching to help them not be so sloppy and make so many mistakes?  Sure.  I guess.  But I dont think thats it.  Rex isnt the only coach in the building and these guys have had success elsewhere.  The talent is just terrible.  Period.  I dont really see any coaching staff doing better with this team.  They're really just that bad.  

And this truly isnt a plea for Rex.  He's got to go but I really dont think you'd see much different with the same roster and this magical great coach out there that Jets are missing out on.

They're just not good. You're expecting bad players who are barely in the league to do good things. Could they use better coaching to help them not be so sloppy and make so many mistakes? Sure. I guess. But I dont think thats it. Rex isnt the only coach in the building and these guys have had success elsewhere. The talent is just terrible. Period. I dont really see any coaching staff doing better with this team. They're really just that bad.

And this truly isnt a plea for Rex. He's got to go but I really dont think you'd see much different with the same roster and this magical great coach out there that Jets are missing out on.

All of the good assistants are gone. Rex has his college buddy next to him all game...the special teams are a disaster...no one has good special teams personnel- that's all coaching. The team is just disorganized. It starts with the owner...but Rex's approach is not a long term answer at HC. Just way too many flaws.

Tom Gamble was our guy, but after we trashed him through the media for supposedly being a "bad interview" after he declined the job because he didn't want to take on Rex ('slats' will be by any minute now to assure everyone this isn't how it went down), I doubt he'd come here now. Maybe if we publicly apologize to him and beg him to reconsider and promise him, in writing, full control of football operations, we'd have a shot. Otherwise, just give Harbaugh the Parcells role and let him have carte blanche to do whatever he wants.

CANNNNN YOUUUUUUUU DIG IT!!!!????

All of the good assistants are gone. Rex has his college buddy next to him all game...the special teams are a disaster...no one has good special teams personnel- that's all coaching. The team is just disorganized. It starts with the owner...but Rex's approach is not a long term answer at HC. Just way too many flaws.

truth is, the jets could do a lot better than rex ryan. they could also do a lot worse

Agreed that this team hasn't quit, they just suck and are wildly inexperienced in most places. sh*tty variance from there...they've taken some quality teams (thanks parity) to the last play of the game, including getting absolutely jobbed in the Packers game.

Team needs to stop playing Pace and let Barnes/Babin play more. It'd be nice for a young LBer to step up, but Barnes/Babin might be able to get them by better than Pace has.

Who else...maybe throw 3 even 4 safeties out there since the safeties are slightly better than the CBs...I'm fine with Geno sitting because we all know he's going to get on the field again later in the year. Getting hurt or sucking are the most real possibilities with Vick, getting hurt probably slight more likely than horrific play...Still really want to see more of the Harvin experiment. If he flahses even a handful of times, guys like Amaro and Decker should have more room to work...Less Chris Johnson, more Bilal Powell (already happening?)...Can "Skull Island" be a good movie? The NFL and all pro sports are run by our reptillian overlords...Do the Jets passive aggressively ignore the pass rusher/OLB need this offseason? Brian Orakpo on a show me deal makes sense...Coples should do more of what he did Sunday, that would go a long way...Any word on Dakota Dozier, Dalton Freeman, or Will Campbell? I think they're all a little interesting until  FA comes.

You can't fire the scouting department right away.  There simply isn't enough time to assemble a staff, get full scouting reports, etc.

Start with the GM and coach, and work your way down from there.

Funny because isn't that exactly what Idziot did over the offseason two years ago? Gutted it to everyone but Terry Bradway? Working out great so far.

The worst move Idzik made was agreeing to keep Rex one more year. Everything else radiates from that.

When Idzik called Rex "An incredible football mind that he learns from every day", I immediately realized that Idzik, too is a clueless suit that has once again taken to leaning on Rex for personnel decisions, hence why we got Sheldon Richardson, and have pretty much failed miserably everywhere else. This is really bad. It's bad to an entirely new level- now there is only one competent football mind left in the building - Terry Bradway- and I bet you he's in charge, at least on an interim basis, not before long.

Archived