Pats not picking up Wilforks option

frankiepapa

To me this is what makes the Pats a strong organization they know when to let their overvalued/overpriced players walk.

This was all about money.

Pats will sign him to a 2-year, lower salary contract and he will retire as a Patrioit.

The news was expected, as Wilfork, 33, was due a $4 million roster bonus on March 10. Had the Patriots picked that up, Wilfork also would have earned a $3 million base salary and counted $8.9 million against the salary cap.

The Patriots create $8.06 million in salary-cap space with the move. Wilfork and the Patriots could still reach a new agreement to extend Wilfork's career in New England, where he's played since the club selected him in the first round of the 2004 draft.

"I'm in a good place," Wilfork wrote in his statement. "I have a great relationship with the Patriots organization. Please know how blessed my family and I have been to be able to play 11 years in New England for an amazing organization. "

"New England has been and always will be my home," he added later in the statement.

Pats will sign him to a 2-year, lower salary contract and he will retire as a Patrioit.

The news was expected, as Wilfork, 33, was due a $4 million roster bonus on March 10. Had the Patriots picked that up, Wilfork also would have earned a $3 million base salary and counted $8.9 million against the salary cap.

The Patriots create $8.06 million in salary-cap space with the move. Wilfork and the Patriots could still reach a new agreement to extend Wilfork's career in New England, where he's played since the club selected him in the first round of the 2004 draft.

"I'm in a good place," Wilfork wrote in his statement. "I have a great relationship with the Patriots organization. Please know how blessed my family and I have been to be able to play 11 years in New England for an amazing organization. "

"New England has been and always will be my home," he added later in the statement.

Does he still want to play? That's not a very easy positron and he is not a small person

He has a $12.5 mil roster bonus due at the end of this league year. What is that the 6th of March? His base salary is $7.5 mil. That's $20 mil hes dued right there. He sign a $10 mil signing bonus so $5 mil is prorated to each year which makes his cap charge $25 mil.

wonder if they are trying to clear space so they can pickup the 20m option on Revis

Not happening. They'd rather bid for Revis in the open market and pay 30mil over 2 years rather than 20 over one year and not have him the next year.

He has a $12.5 mil roster bonus due at the end of this league year. What is that the 6th of March? His base salary is $7.5 mil. That's $20 mil hes dued right there. He sign a $10 mil signing bonus so $5 mil is prorated to each year which makes his cap charge $25 mil.

Your figures are totally off. Totally.

Edit: Didn't realize you were talking about Revis and not Vince Whatthe****.

Sounds like something Revis always said...And then he signed with the most hated rivals of his "my home (team)".

What is the date they have to pay Revis or cut him?   What day does the 20 mil become guaranteed?

The pats will not cut revis, they will not pick up an option for the 2nd year. The difference is that they will get a comp pick for both Wilfork and Revis as they are just not exercising an option, not cutting him.

Archived