PSL Question

TuscanyTile2

Two things I'm taking from this thread so far:

- I feel like I should now meet the Jints fans with whom I'm sharing my seats. I'd never thought of that, but perhaps we're related via some weird cosmic mojo

- I am going to email my rep about making damn sure I have rights to my seats for any future papal visits. Same thing for any Dalai Lama visits. Good catch on that above

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a PSL holder.  A season ticket holder.  I was promised access to non-Jets live events.  I was told i "owned" the rights to my seat, though so does the Giants fan who sits in them.  i was told they were an "investment" when in fact they are less than valueless, they are a financial burden.  I was told at the time, that seats were filling quickly and i needed to act to get into a decent seat--there are new faces around me every game and they all bought off stubhub.  Half the stadium is filled with opposing fans regularly.  The non-PSL seats in the new stadium require binoculars.  Three friends of mine dumped there tickets and ate the PSL investment just to be rid of the payments.  They go to as many games as i do, pay near face value and sit where they want.  There is no longer a waitlist.  It went from 12 years when I got on it, to the team struggling to sell seats by the game now.  Which makes the "investment" nothing of the sort.  Nobody is locked out of a game.  Anyone can go and they don't need PSL's. Which means PSL's provide nothing but expense.

There are those who like to have consistent seats next to Jets fans that become family friends over the years and there are fans who like it a-la-carte.  Today, you have it both ways.  PSL or StubHub.  Nothing wrong with either approach.

No one said they were an investment.  However, every team that instituted PSL's in the NFL has seen their value rise over time.  The Jets were at their playoff peak during the PSL process, we've been in our depths of despair ever since, the market fluctuations reflect this.  If the Jets get good again, we PSL holders have all the good seats, the next generation of season ticket holders will be eager to get them, you can indeed turn a profit if that's what's important to you.

The waitlist disappeared because all the Giants fans and all the scalpers were put out of business by the PSL financial outlay and StubHub.  The waitlisters all got the seats they wanted.  Justice.

PSL's were amazingly successful of ridding the stadium of squatters and scalpers and getting long-time waitlisters into great seats.  That's Christmas, the Easter Bunny, and sleeping with Scarlett Johanson all wrapped into one for Jets fans.

SAR I

I own two of the best seats in the house now instead of rotting on the wait list and paying the same or more for tickets on the secondary market.

I am thrilled they did it this way. I understand both sides but the only people who really seem to hate psls cannot afford them. Pro teams don't want broke fans filling their seats...

Bingo.

The PSL haters worry too much about how we spend our fun money.  Most of them drink and smoke and eat and have pets.  Let's start a thread talking about how much a pack-a-day smoker spends on cigarettes per year ($4,700), how much a six-pack of beer costs per year ($950), how much a bagel and coffee costs per year ($1,100), and how much a dog costs per year ($3,000) compared to how much our PSL's cost per year ($130).

So much angst about nothing.

SAR I

PSL's were amazingly successful of ridding the stadium of squatters and scalpers and getting long-time waitlisters into great seats.  That's Christmas, the Easter Bunny, and sleeping with Scarlett Johanson all wrapped into one for Jets fans.

SAR I

Exactly.  And that certainly works for me.

what is the market like ?  if you bought season tickets with a PSL year 1, are you basically even, under water or ahead ?

You can't look a form of entertainment that way.

What is the market value of a dance recital your daughter participated in at school?  What is the market value of seeing a Broadway show?  What is the market value of a vacation you took two years ago?  Did it give you a return on investment other than the memories it brought to you and your family?  The $13 uptick per ticket I personally pay for PSL's is there for one thing-  giving me a choice of any seat I wanted in MetLife Stadium.  It's all it cost to move some old fart's ticket scalping grandson Giants fan out of the stadium so that a good Jets fan could take his place.

PSL's were a long-overdue enema of the fanbase and one that's done a whole lot of good.

SAR I

ETA: Seems to me a lot of pro-PSL people are making sh*t up to justify getting scammed.

How is paying $7 to $20 more per seat getting "scammed"?  You realize the typical single ticket costs $150 and when you add in food and parking it's a $200 outlay per seat per game, right?

Season ticket holders are already setting a pile of money on fire to watch a 3 hour game live that they can get for free on TV.  So does it matter to us that instead of burning $200 we're burning $220?  Nope.

And here's a news flash that'll flip your noodle:  There are only 14,000 PSL owners in the entire stadium and we were asked to pay for our PSL's in 2008.  Do you remember how much you spent on vacations in 2008?  Movie tickets?  Fast food?  Exactly.  Same for us.  My total PSL outlay was $4,000 and it was in 2008.  That's 7 years ago.  And it cost me about 1/3 of what I spend on a typical vacation in Florida.  The other 13,999 PSL owners feel the same way.  You're arguing a point that had some minor merit last decade.  Today it's a faded memory.

Stop worrying about how rich people spend their fun money, chief.  You'll sleep better at night.

SAR I

Exactly.  And that certainly works for me.

I have 4 PSL's that were $1000 each.  That's $4,000 over 30 years or $133 a year.

I was so duped!  I was so fooled!  Oh, whoa is me, what a dope, what a sucker I am.  That's so much money.  Do you realize what I could have done with that $11 a month?  That's like the cost of 2 magazines!  That $0.37 cents per week?  There's a supersize french fry right there!  Someone shoot me!  The humanity!

SAR I

How is paying $7 to $20 more per seat getting "scammed"? You realize the typical single ticket costs $150 and when you add in food and parking it's a $200 outlay per seat per game, right?

Season ticket holders are already setting a pile of money on fire to watch a 3 hour game live that they can get for free on TV. So does it matter to us that instead of burning $200 we're burning $220? Nope.

And here's a news flash that'll flip your noodle: There are only 14,000 PSL owners in the entire stadium and we were asked to pay for our PSL's in 2008. Do you remember how much you spent on vacations in 2008? Movie tickets? Fast food? Exactly. Same for us. My total PSL outlay was $4,000 and it was in 2008. That's 7 years ago. And it cost me about 1/3 of what I spend on a typical vacation in Florida. The other 13,999 PSL owners feel the same way. You're arguing a point that had some minor merit last decade. Today it's a faded memory.

Stop worrying about how rich people spend their fun money, chief. You'll sleep better at night.

SAR I

The fact that you can't stop telling everyone how rich you are makes me think you're completely full of crap. But hey, that's what the internet is for I guess.

Bottom line: Paying extra money for no benefit other than 'I get to pick my seat' is a stupid purchase. I would say a majority of PSL holders sell their tickets on the secondary market anyway. I know for a fact the majority did in 2012 when I had season tickets and the 49er fans were about 45% of the people in attendance. And before you say the Jets sucked that year, they were 2-1 when that game happened. Plenty of Bills fans there in week 1 as well.

Of course you're free to do whatever you want with your millions upon millions of dollars. And I'm free to call the PSLs what they really are without sugarcoating it so bad that people think we're talking about Frosted Flakes.

I have 4 PSL's that were $1000 each. That's $4,000 over 30 years or $133 a year.

I was so duped! I was so fooled! Oh, whoa is me, what a dope, what a sucker I am. That's so much money. Do you realize what I could have done with that $11 a month? That's like the cost of 2 magazines! That $0.37 cents per week? There's a supersize french fry right there! Someone shoot me! The humanity!

SAR I

You keep justifying the cost. I'm talking about the principle of it. You paid money in order to pay money. But whatever, you've proven time and again that you're a PSL fanboi and that's your prerogative.

I've been a season ticket holder for over 30 years and the above is plain incorrect. On the rare occasions that the Jets have had home playoff games, season ticket holders always got the same seat they had all season. I remember watching the Jets play Kansas City, New England, Jacksonville and the Colts all from my end zone section 123 seats that I had for over 20 years. If and when a team seemed likely or possible for the playoffs, by week 13 or 14 of the season, every season ticket holder was given the option to purchase the same seats for a potential playoff game. If the season ticket holder declined, then those seats were put up for sale. The only seats that went into a lottery pool were those that were declined by the season ticket holder.

The same will be true in MetLife if and when the Jets get a home playoff game. it has NOTHING to do with PSLs. Upper deck non PSL season ticket holders will be offered the same seats for the playoff game just as lower level PSL holders will be. If either declines to purchase, then those seats will go into a pool of seats for sale.

Therefore, access to playoffs is not enhanced by owning a PSL. Owning a PSL does not confer any such advantage.

Then I was very lucky in that aspect. during both the Indianapolis in Jacksonville playoff games we were moved.

The fact that you can't stop telling everyone how rich you are makes me think you're completely full of crap. But hey, that's what the internet is for I guess.

Bottom line: Paying extra money for no benefit other than 'I get to pick my seat' is a stupid purchase. I would say a majority of PSL holders sell their tickets on the secondary market anyway. I know for a fact the majority did in 2012 when I had season tickets and the 49er fans were about 45% of the people in attendance. And before you say the Jets sucked that year, they were 2-1 when that game happened. Plenty of Bills fans there in week 1 as well.

Of course you're free to do whatever you want with your millions upon millions of dollars. And I'm free to call the PSLs what they really are without sugarcoating it so bad that people think we're talking about Frosted Flakes.

First off, stop making the 14,000 PSL owners out to be the big-bad rich guys.  Again, PSL's are so cheap this isn't really a conversation.  Typical season ticket holder with 4 seats is spending $5,000 a year just on tickets and another $1,000 a year on parking and tolls and concessions.  The extra $400 on top of the $6,000 isn't significant.  You get that, right?  You get the fact that since the 1980's, through the 1990's and 2000's, people have been spending over $6,000 in today's money for just the season tickets and the PSL is just another few hundred, right?  Sometimes I think you don't get it at all. 

But if you want a real cause to get behind, here's what you should be talking about:  The Jets raised ticket prices from $13 in 1980 to $125 in 2008 but no one talks about that.  That's the outrage if you want to know the truth.  But all those season ticket holders through the Coslet years and the Kotite years and the Edwards years they kept taking it and paying more and more.  And there was no outrage when in a single decade the prices went up $75 so why the hell the outrage now when the PSL only adds as little as $7?

Because it doesn't play as well in the Occupy Wall Street era, that's why.  You don't like people with money.  I'm sorry about that.  In the big picture, PSL's are a beer and a hot dog.  If you can afford it that's great.  If you can't, PSL holders are the ones who put individual seats up on StubHub for you to take advantage of.  Thank us.  It would be nice for a change.

SAR I

You keep justifying the cost. I'm talking about the principle of it. You paid money in order to pay money. But whatever, you've proven time and again that you're a PSL fanboi and that's your prerogative.

I'm not justifying anything.  I'm merely stating fact.  That the motivation behind the PSL for the 14,000 of us who actually bought them is different than your perception. 

You want to think we're a bunch of blithering idiots who agreed to pay a large fee to keep the seats we had and that's not the truth.  We are a bunch of smart businessmen who agreed to a paltry fee in order to pick the seats in the stadium we wanted, unencumbered by the old time season ticket holders who squatted in their great seats and forced us to the upper deck endzones.  For reasons you have yet to acknowledge or explain, it's important for you to act like you're the smart one for running away from PSL's and not falling victim to Selfish Big Business when, in fact, the entire PSL process was Lincoln freeing the slaves to long-time members of the Waitlist who had to scrounge for tickets each season or pay huge upcharges to scalpers.

I'm sorry if the truth doesn't align with your fantasies.  You need to learn to accept it.  The PSL was a dream come true to 14,000 loyal Jets fans who only wanted one thing from the team since 1985:  A fair chance to purchase a great renewable seat where the Jets play their home games.  We were blocked out for 30 years and now its our turn.  That's not justification; that's justice.

SAR I

Ah... You did. "Investment Gold"??? You can never rewrite that.

You can't decide to take a joke seriously and then call me on the carpet for it.

And, for the record, PSL's are investment gold for those of us who paid close attention and chose the right seats.  With all this Jets optimism in the air, if I wanted to unload my $1000 PSL seats I'm sure I could get $1500 or more for them.  There are just so many non-Club mezzanine seats in Row 1 you see.

SAR I

So it sounds to me that the argument is between the rich guys who could not solve a problem (getting good season tickets) by throwing money at it against guys who were lucky enough to have a grandfather who got season tickets in the 70's. I think your both a holes.

I do laugh harder at the rich guys that could finally buy good season tickets no matter how much they had to spend.

It does suck now that there are not real fans at the games now.

So it sounds to me that the argument is between the rich guys who could not solve a problem (getting good season tickets) by throwing money at it against guys who were lucky enough to have a grandfather who got season tickets in the 70's. I think your both a holes.

I do laugh harder at the rich guys that could finally buy good season tickets no matter how much they had to spend.

It does suck now that there are not real fans at the games now.

Real fans have been replaced by suit wearing jerk offs who dont know much about football or how to wipe their own asses they sit in their seats and act the part occasionally clapping or cheering if they happen to follow whats going on and dont have their faces buried in their I-Phones. 

These people hate everything tailgating,Fireman Ed,you name it. 

Real fans have been replaced by suit wearing jerk offs who dont know much about football or how to wipe their own asses they sit in their seats and act the part occasionally clapping or cheering if they happen to follow whats going on and dont have their faces buried in their I-Phones.

These people hate everything tailgating,Fireman Ed,you name it.

Yep.

Ranger games have been like that for a while in what was the pink seats. I had 10th row in the corner years ago. Pavel Bure had just gotten traded to the Rangers. People around me were really not paying attention. The freaking Russian Rocket is right there and you're talking about some other BS.

The 300s and 400s were the best. I would say the same for Met Life but the year I had season tix the people around me changed every game save for one other couple across the aisle from us. Lots of visitor fans.

You can't decide to take a joke seriously and then call me on the carpet for it.

And, for the record, PSL's are investment gold for those of us who paid close attention and chose the right seats.  With all this Jets optimism in the air, if I wanted to unload my $1000 PSL seats I'm sure I could get $1500 or more for them.  There are just so many non-Club mezzanine seats in Row 1 you see.

SAR I

I thought your PSLs were $4K each...

I have 4 PSL's that were $1000 each.  That's $4,000 over 30 years or $133 a year.

I was so duped!  I was so fooled!  Oh, whoa is me, what a dope, what a sucker I am.  That's so much money.  Do you realize what I could have done with that $11 a month?  That's like the cost of 2 magazines!  That $0.37 cents per week?  There's a supersize french fry right there!  Someone shoot me!  The humanity!

SAR I

Your memory must be fading, your PSL's were $4k each. 

the real scam that faces season ticket and psl holders is the preseason games at the same price as regular season games-coachs club $700 a ticket so if you got two tickets-you drop $2800 on tickets-what should be done is preseason tickets should be a free perk to season ticket holders-

the real scam that faces season ticket and psl holders is the preseason games at the same price as regular season games-coachs club $700 a ticket so if you got two tickets-you drop $2800 on tickets-what should be done is preseason tickets should be a free perk to season ticket holders-

They did finally change that this year with dynamic/tiered pricing.

Definitely a good thing for resellers.

I agree that forcing Season Ticket Holders to purchase worthless preseason games is a scam.  But again, this has nothing to do with PSLs. Just like getting home playoff tickets had nothing to do with PSLs.    Purchasing preseason games is required whether you have upper deck non-PSL seating, regular PSL seating or Club seats.  Also, FWIW, the NY Jets were one of the very last teams, if not THE last team, to require its season ticket holders to purchase pre season games.    Now, all 32 teams require it.  It's a regular royal fleecing.

I agree that forcing Season Ticket Holders to purchase worthless preseason games is a scam. But again, this has nothing to do with PSLs. Just like getting home playoff tickets had nothing to do with PSLs. Purchasing preseason games is required whether you have upper deck non-PSL seating, regular PSL seating or Club seats. Also, FWIW, the NY Jets were one of the very last teams, if not THE last team, to require its season ticket holders to purchase pre season games. Now, all 32 teams require it. It's a regular royal fleecing.

Absolutely, 100%, entirely not true. I had season tickets in '12 and NEVER had to buy preseason games. They tried, I'll give you that.

A PSL for Metlife Stadium is very different from other stadiums since it is two teams sharing the stadium.  Usually you don't have that so there are more rights for concerts etc.  Some people feel PSLs were a scam but anyone with half a brain should have known what they were getting themselves into when they signed up for them.  The prices on a lot of these seats jumped 50% and then a PSL cost came in as well.  If you could afford it then it wasn't a big deal.  If you couldn't and financed at 8% interest over 15 years and you have tickets you cannot really afford well then you are ticked. 

Some people who are part time ticket brokers bought PSLs and have remorse.  If you planned on having two seats and selling your second seat to every game you may also have remorse since it is not always easy to sell. 

You could write a book on how poorly the Jets marketed this stadium.  It already was not very impressive but the Jets really dropped the ball with how they priced the place.  There were tons of prices drops and changes.  The Jets basically harassed anyone who took upper deck seats about how terrible their seats were and pulled a quick one by giving orange parking after everyone's season ticket bills were paid.  Now they probably have 15-20k of upper level seats that are not held by season ticket holders.  They also now give yellow parking to upper deckers. 

The Jets did some things that were probably unethical and also irked a lot of fans.  A lot of fans also bought seats they probably couldn't afford long term and add in that the team has not played well in four years and you have a mess.  To tell you what a mess this stadium is, after 2010 despite back to back AFC Championship games there were lots of fans dropping upper level seats. 

A PSL for Metlife Stadium is very different from other stadiums since it is two teams sharing the stadium.  Usually you don't have that so there are more rights for concerts etc.  Some people feel PSLs were a scam but anyone with half a brain should have known what they were getting themselves into when they signed up for them.  The prices on a lot of these seats jumped 50% and then a PSL cost came in as well.  If you could afford it then it wasn't a big deal.  If you couldn't and financed at 8% interest over 15 years and you have tickets you cannot really afford well then you are ticked. 

Some people who are part time ticket brokers bought PSLs and have remorse.  If you planned on having two seats and selling your second seat to every game you may also have remorse since it is not always easy to sell. 

You could write a book on how poorly the Jets marketed this stadium.  It already was not very impressive but the Jets really dropped the ball with how they priced the place.  There were tons of prices drops and changes.  The Jets basically harassed anyone who took upper deck seats about how terrible their seats were and pulled a quick one by giving orange parking after everyone's season ticket bills were paid.  Now they probably have 15-20k of upper level seats that are not held by season ticket holders.  They also now give yellow parking to upper deckers. 

The Jets did some things that were probably unethical and also irked a lot of fans.  A lot of fans also bought seats they probably couldn't afford long term and add in that the team has not played well in four years and you have a mess.  To tell you what a mess this stadium is, after 2010 despite back to back AFC Championship games there were lots of fans dropping upper level seats. 

That's one way to look at it, here's another:

The Jets did right by fans who were willing to pay modern NFL ticket prices but those who got incredibly lucky from 1983-2008 are the ones complaining and never said 'thank you'.  Everyone likes to talk about the big-bad Jets and the big-bad rich fans, but no one talks about the fact that the Jets had the cheapest top-location seats in the NFL for 25 years.  Fans who were simply born lucky and had access to grandpa's seats on the 50 yard line 10 rows up were paying $50 a seat in 1990 and $100 a seat in 2000.  The same seat in any other modern NFL city were converted to Premium's or Club's and were commanding $300 to $500. 

And instead of those lucky fans repaying the Jets for their 25 years of generosity by picking up a PSL and taking a long-overdue price increase, they bolted.  Bolted twice, in fact.  First they used their seniority to get good upper deck seats in 2009.  Second they bailed out completely in 2012 when the AFC Championship runs stopped and the team got weak.  Selfish, spoiled-rotten, entitled cheapskates who were perfectly fine having the best seats in the house for peanuts, now crying quitters when reality strikes.  And don't get me started on the fans I know who had those seats who would sell 4 games for 2x face value and attend the other 4 games for free.  That gravy train ended, and that's why all the Giants fans quit, and that's why all the scalpers quit.  Things get very simple once fair market value is placed on those seats.  Instead of scalpers and fairweather fans getting rich, the Jets let their best customers have them.  Good Jets fans have those seats now.

PSL owners are heroes.  We were stuck on waitlists for 15 years.  No StubHub or eBay to find seats back then.  Sitting through traffic to try to find a scalper in the parking lot.  Finding shady brokers in the back of Newsday.  When after a decade and-a-half our numbers were called we were rewarded with the worst upper deck endzone seats in the league.  We then opened up our checkbooks.  We committed to the team emotionally and financially for 30 years, good seasons or bad.

Shoe is on the other foot now.  Now the crap seat waitlisters get the good seats and the born-lucky squatters are out.  Complain to us in 25 years when you served the same amount of time in Jets seating purgatory like we did.  Justice.

SAR I

What we're all missing: you can buy tickets per game and spend as much or as little as you want depending on where you'd like to sit.  You don't need season tickets, you don't need PSL's.  If like me, you came off a decade-plus waitlist to get into Giants' stadium, you probably took the PSL out of fear you'd lose the good seats you waited so long for.  Then the Jets claimed "seats are running out" and even called and emailed to tell you so.  So you bought the PSL so as not to get locked out of seats you'd waited for and hoped to keep for so long.  Only to find the stadium wasn't sold out, there are seats available all over the place, there is no waitlist, and you could have gone to every damn game you wanted to without having to pay for the right to pay for the tickets.  And then bitter happened.

What we're all missing: you can buy tickets per game and spend as much or as little as you want depending on where you'd like to sit.  You don't need season tickets, you don't need PSL's.  If like me, you came off a decade-plus waitlist to get into Giants' stadium, you probably took the PSL out of fear you'd lose the good seats you waited so long for.  Then the Jets claimed "seats are running out" and even called and emailed to tell you so.  So you bought the PSL so as not to get locked out of seats you'd waited for and hoped to keep for so long.  Only to find the stadium wasn't sold out, there are seats available all over the place, there is no waitlist, and you could have gone to every damn game you wanted to without having to pay for the right to pay for the tickets.  And then bitter happened.

In the 2 years leading up to the PSL sales, STH's were dumping tickets left and right.  So much so, that in the final year at Giants' stadium, there were tremendous blocks of open seats where there were never any before.  The rats had already begun to abandon ship  (and by "rats" I mean the scalpers who owned 20% of the old stadium seats and even the corporations who couldn't care less about the Jets that just had seats to give to clients).  It was quite clear that the true number of Jets fans who had seats was way lower than the number of seats actually sold, including the wait list.  These companies and scalpers had zero intent on buying any PSLs.  Their gig at Jets games was over.  

That should have told us something... that the Jets were going to have issues selling the place out.  So, all I can say is that if you truly believed that "seats were running out", then someone else should probably be handling your finances.  But I do have this bridge in Brooklyn that connects Brooklyn to Manhattan available!  Hurry, the bridge inventory is quickly running out!  (j/k man.  You were duped... but also a tad gullible).

Archived