Matt Flynn Working out for Jets today

AFJF

As the Jets continue to search for an experienced arm at the quarterback position, Ian Rapoport is reporting that Gang Green will work out quarterback Matt Flynn today.

Ian RapoportVerified account@RapSheet 4h4 hours ago

Free agent QB Matt Flynn is working out for the #Jets today, source said. Had spent the early part of camp with the #Patriots.

Recently let go by the New England Patriots, Flynn has played sparingly for the Green Bay Packers, Buffalo Bills, Oakland Raiders and Seattle Seahawks over parts of six seasons.

In total, Flynn has thrown for 2,541 yards, 17 touchdowns and 11 interceptions while completing 61.3 percent of his passes.

Kind of strange. I thought the Pats released him in part because he has a hamstring sprain and can't play the rest of the pre season..

I think they just needed a camp body ASAP and didn't want to wait for him.  They are only carrying 3 guys, so they needed somebody so that Garoppolo's arm doesn't fall off. They signed Lindley.  Flynn had been on the non-football injury list.  You can't have only 2 QBs in camp, so they had to move on. 

Anyone but Grossman.

If he has true potential, and if it would do more harm than good to throw him out there like we did with Geno, I would change that to Anyone but Petty. And "anyone" would include Grossman, Flynn, or Testaverde. Mitzi Testaverde.

As things now stand, we're not winning with Petty anyway, and if that changes then surely he'll have little trouble staying marginally ahead of crappy scrubs spit out by the rest of the league.

If he has true potential, and if it would do more harm than good to throw him out there like we did with Geno, I would change that to Anyone but Petty. And "anyone" would include Grossman, Flynn, or Testaverde. Mitzi Testaverde.

As things now stand, we're not winning with Petty anyway, and if that changes then surely he'll have little trouble staying marginally ahead of crappy scrubs spit out by the rest of the league.

Agreed. Certainly anyone but Petty. I don't want him to see the field in any meanigful game this year. I don't want Round 3 of "Who Wants To Start Their Rookie QB Too Early!"

Flynn has not seen the light of day since being beat out by Russell Wilson.  Who even knows how good or bad he is?   The guy is essentially MIA.  His strongest point is that he is very well rested.

Actually, he played fairly well for Green Bay down the stretch in 2013.  He threw for over 60%, 230 ypg and 7/4 TD/INT.  I'd sign up for that right now.

Actually, he played fairly well for Green Bay down the stretch in 2013. He threw for over 60%, 230 ypg and 7/4 TD/INT. I'd sign up for that right now.

He's only good playing in McCarthy's offense throwing to guys like Nelson and Cobb. I guess physically he's still in playing shape maybe Grossman let himself go.

He's only good playing in McCarthy's offense throwing to guys like Nelson and Cobb. I guess physically he's still in playing shape maybe Grossman let himself go.

Hell, I'd sign up for his numbers in the game he started for Oakland.  64%, over 7ypa, 1/1, 227 yards.  He only put up 7 and they went back to Pryor, but that is not horrible and his supporting cast/coaching was.  He did fumble twice and throw a pick 6, so I can see not hanging with him, but an 85 rating in 2013 is pretty good for a guy you are finding on the street mid-August

At the time i was astonished at how people overrated this guy because he played well in garbage time against what was the leagues worst secondary.

So many dopey GMs/owners in the NFL.  Flynn's NFL body of work was next to nothing.  Yet, because of that game, they paid him over $25 million.  lol  Geez, nice work if you can get it.

So many dopey GMs/owners in the NFL.  Flynn's NFL body of work was next to nothing.  Yet, because of that game, they paid him over $25 million.  lol  Geez, nice work if you can get it.

I think his guarantee was $9M and they got a pick or two back for him from Oakland.   There also may have been some set offs from him signing elsewhere during the contract.  It was bad, but not the Mets still paying Bobby Bonilla bad that people make it out.

Flynn has not seen the light of day since being beat out by Russell Wilson.  Who even knows how good or bad he is?   The guy is essentially MIA.  His strongest point is that he is very well rested.

What if we gave Flynn weapons? So much upside, we just need to give him time. No judgments!

To be fair Nelson and Cobb were really the only two decent WRs the guy has ever played with. He could end up being alright with Marshal and Decker though I doubt he would be able to learn the system in the short 1 month before the regular season. I personally don't want to see this signing though I don't think Flynn is much better than what we currently have and I think we need to let Fitz play out until Geno gets back then it is sink or swim with Geno.

I think his guarantee was $9M and they got a pick or two back for him from Oakland.   There also may have been some set offs from him signing elsewhere during the contract.  It was bad, but not the Mets still paying Bobby Bonilla bad that people make it out.

Good post.  Thanks for filling in the blanks (which I left).

To be fair Nelson and Cobb were really the only two decent WRs the guy has ever played with. He could end up being alright with Marshal and Decker though I doubt he would be able to learn the system in the short 1 month before the regular season. I personally don't want to see this signing though I don't think Flynn is much better than what we currently have and I think we need to let Fitz play out until Geno gets back then it is sink or swim with Geno.

I don't think anybody is saying they should sign him to start over Fitzpatrick.  The idea is: 1. They need another QB so that they can have 4 in camp.  Bowles supposedly likes to split practices and it would be better to lessen the load and allow multiple drills at once.  2. They don't want to rush Petty (or Heaps) out there if Fitzpatrick gets hurt.  Those guys are one play from the field and they are both developmental prospects that would probably have their development stunted by playing too soon. 

I would imagine that they sign a vet, cut him before the first game and then bring him back until Geno is ready.  Fitzpatrick is an older guy coming off a significant injury.  They are almost certainly going to bring somebody in, Flynn or Grossman most likely.  Are you still against it?

Flynn visited for physical only...no workout.  I'm going to stop passing along the tweets from these "insiders" if this happens one more time....lol

Kimberley A. Martin @KMart_LI 5m5 minutes ago

The #Jets brought in Matt Flynn for a physical today, but he did not have a workout

Archived