Jets/Skins... Who is going?

Fibonacci

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is going to be my first Jet/ professional football game. It's also kicking off my marriage and honeymoon...so you know..no pressure.

first game you go to will be the first game the jets unveil a dline of williams, snack, wilkerson, and Richardson...sounds like a good game to attend.

TailgateJoe in the house like always! We are doing an Italian/American theme tailgate and raising money for The Breast Cancer Research Foundation, doing our part to save the boobies. We have already raised $1,000!

Going to be serving this for breakfast, and "Italian" version of NJ delicacy Taylor Ham, adding provolone, home made fig jam, baby arugula, and fresh custom baked italian bread rolls. Also will be deep frying rice balls, serving the Jets Pesto Burger, and grilling up Sausage and Peppers. Anyone that wants to join us, we still have availability, get info at http://www.tailgatejoe.com/new-york-jets-tailgate-party-redskin-2015/

italianporkroll3.jpg

I was considering that but the amount of work is ridiculous.  We are doing all pork though.  Pork chops, pulled pork, sausage n peppers, ham n cheese with a butter sauce sliders, etc. etc.

to be honest, although the end product of prepping and cooking a whole hog is quite impressive, it isn't the best way to cook the pork, not by a long shot. And I have had some great whole hog, I even smoked one for 24 hours with Myron Mixon. It is also really expensive for what you end up with. If I am going to end up pulling it all anyway, I can get butts at like 1.20lb, and they will all be cooked to the perfect temp for the cut and with a nice mix of moist meat and crunchy bark. 

Don't get me wrong, doing whole hog is pretty awesome, just not efficient or the best way to put out the best pork. Still cool though and a test for the pitmaster. If I am doing it though, my preferred method is bbq comp style with the hog on its back split open and smoked at 250 low and slow. But that isn't really feasible for most people, especially for a tailgate. 

to be honest, although the end product of prepping and cooking a whole hog is quite impressive, it isn't the best way to cook the pork, not by a long shot. And I have had some great whole hog, I even smoked one for 24 hours with Myron Mixon. It is also really expensive for what you end up with. If I am going to end up pulling it all anyway, I can get butts at like 1.20lb, and they will all be cooked to the perfect temp for the cut and with a nice mix of moist meat and crunchy bark. 

Don't get me wrong, doing whole hog is pretty awesome, just not efficient or the best way to put out the best pork. Still cool though and a test for the pitmaster. If I am doing it though, my preferred method is bbq comp style with the hog on its back split open and smoked at 250 low and slow. But that isn't really feasible for most people, especially for a tailgate. 

Have to concur here. A whole pig is more about the presentation and experience. From a cook's perspective, especially one who's trying to present their best work, I'd rather do a couple butts and some ribs. 10 times out of 10 the spread will be a much bigger hit after it's cut up and served. A whole hog is more for Facebook photos as it's on the spit.

I was at a wedding once where they had a pig.  The skin was great but the rest wasn't worth all the effort.  The amount of work to do it for a tailgate party is definitely not worth it.  Especially since they don't let you in until 8 am.  You know more about this than me but I was told I'd basically have to put it on a trailer and be able to keep it going the entire time from home to the stadium. 

I was at a wedding once where they had a pig.  The skin was great but the rest wasn't worth all the effort.  The amount of work to do it for a tailgate party is definitely not worth it.  Especially since they don't let you in until 8 am.  You know more about this than me but I was told I'd basically have to put it on a trailer and be able to keep it going the entire time from home to the stadium. 

Well, there is 2 ways to do whole hog, low and slow smoking which can take 15-24 hours, and roasting, usually in one of those caja china boxes. Roasting still takes too long to do beginning to end at the game, so you have to do it at home ahead of time. There is enough thermal mass with the hog that you can finish it with an hour or 2 to spare and then transport it to the game. I would definitely not transport it still cooking in the back of a pickup or trailer. That sounds pretty dangerous to me. The draft caused by the wind would turn the lit charcoal bed into an inferno, and do you want to be driving with a giant fire in the back of your truck? Smoking is the best way to do it, and you don't need to spend a lot of money, you can build temporary cinder block pits for next to nothing. There are plenty of youtube videos on building block pits.

Archived