Fitz last 16 - very interesting

BlakeSpenceBlockedPunt

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said guys with upside, not star players. I'm sorry but I want more from the QB position than what we have. Fitz is a decent backup but we need to take a chance on somebody with more potential 

Literally none of the guys you listed have upside or potential. Unless they changed the definitions of those words and I didn't know.

the last time fitzy beat a team above .500? 2011. Wow such a bargain. Because padding your stats against garbage teams is what's really important, right?

What's your point? You play who you play.

And you are wrong. The last time Fitz beat a .500 team was last year.  Buffalo was 9-7 and he beat them when they were 2-1.

So you lose, bitch

Repping this just for the use of the term "momo"

Thanks. It was either Momo or Dingus. 

either way the j@ck@$$ is a complete f*cking Clown who has no idea what he's talking about. Peach Fuzz clearly doesn't understand how the QB position truly functions in today's NFL. 

The Jets' best chance for a championship is to land a SOLID vet QB with plenty of experience under his belt to complement a well-rounded team. I may be in the minority, but I prefer the Rich Gannon on the Raiders, Brad Johnson on TB, Dilfer in Balt, Vinny in '98, Chris Chandler in ATL, etc. route. Because UNLESS we are picking top 3 in the draft w/that every 15 years prospect QB sitting there, I see no other superior alternative. Experience is what matters for a QB to succeed in this league, talent helps. JMO.

I said guys with upside, not star players. I'm sorry but I want more from the QB position than what we have. Fitz is a decent backup but we need to take a chance on somebody with more potential 

what exactly do you want?  Fitz ain't perfect but he's giving some pretty good numbers.  I am aware Fitz ain't the answer long term - I'm just curious to hear the specifics re what you want...30 tds 9 ints?  What specifically...

This should shut up the few fans left who think we'd be better off with Geno instead of Fitz.

However, with Fitz lately the offense has not consistently moved the ball.  He still needs to be better, hopefully with the surgery behind him things improve.

I still think Petty could be the guy in 2017, but it sure sounds like they want Fitz back in 2016.

what exactly do you want?  Fitz ain't perfect but he's giving some pretty good numbers.  I am aware Fitz ain't the answer long term - I'm just curious to hear the specifics re what you want...30 tds 9 ints?  What specifically...

like most that complain, he has no answer or suggestions to offer because there are none. It is rather obvious Fitz isn't the LT solution, but he's the best available unless someone better comes along - AT THIS PARTICULAR POINT IN TIME -  that's simply not feasible, ESPECIALLY at a MERE $3.5M for a competent starter who knows what he's doing. We've seen the alternative of a more Talented QB with 2 yrs starting experience and he STILL PLAYS CLUELESS (Geno)

In addition, you are beginning to see that QBs are playing longer into their careers due to their experience which helps them better understand reading defensive schemes. Fitz can easily start another 1-2 years and he would GLADLY relegate himself to back-up duties. 

Took a look at a couple other QB's to see how their last 16 compare to Fitz's.  The conclusion I'm drawing is that outside of a few elite QB's Fitz may not be a bad as we all think.  I'm not tricking myself and my eyes tell me that he's limited because he's prone to making mistakes at the wrong time...but it sure looks like it happens to other QB's too.

• Dalton:  67% completion, 3861 yds, 29 passing and 4 rushing td's for 33 total, 13 int's and 2 lost fumbles for 15 total to's.  He's accounted for 33 tds and 15 to's.
  • Flacco:  63.5% completion, 4429 yds, 26 passing and 5 rushing td's for 31 total, 15 int's and 2 lost fumbles for 17 total to's.  He's accounted for 31 tds and 17 to's.
  • Luck:  56.5%, 4311 yrds, 36 passing and 1 rushing td's for 37 total, 21 int's and 7 lost fumbles for 28 total to's.  He's accounted for 37 tds and 28 to's.
  • Geno:  60.3, 2980, 17td's, 16 to's.
  • Sanchez:  62.1, 3597, 18 tds, 28 to's

Our boy Fitzy has done OK.  He's not elite, but he's proven over the course of his last 16 that he's holding his own compared to the rest of the QB's in the league.

Took a look at a couple other QB's to see how their last 16 compare to Fitz's.  The conclusion I'm drawing is that outside of a few elite QB's Fitz may not be a bad as we all think.  I'm not tricking myself and my eyes tell me that he's limited because he's prone to making mistakes at the wrong time...but it sure looks like it happens to other QB's too.

• Dalton:  67% completion, 3861 yds, 29 passing and 4 rushing td's for 33 total, 13 int's and 2 lost fumbles for 15 total to's.  He's accounted for 33 tds and 15 to's.
  • Flacco:  63.5% completion, 4429 yds, 26 passing and 5 rushing td's for 31 total, 15 int's and 2 lost fumbles for 17 total to's.  He's accounted for 31 tds and 17 to's.
  • Luck:  56.5%, 4311 yrds, 36 passing and 1 rushing td's for 37 total, 21 int's and 7 lost fumbles for 28 total to's.  He's accounted for 37 tds and 28 to's.
  • Geno:  60.3, 2980, 17td's, 16 to's.
  • Sanchez:  62.1, 3597, 18 tds, 28 to's

Our boy Fitzy has done OK.  He's not elite, but he's proven over the course of his last 16 that he's holding his own compared to the rest of the QB's in the league.

Surprised to see Dalton at 67%.  I remember Damien Woody suggesting Geno was as good as Dalton last season when he got killed in the playoffs.  And ya' gotta' figure Sanchez saw his numbers get a bump from throwing a ton of quick screen passes under Chip Kelly.  In a conventional offense he's always been a mid-50's comp pct guy.

the yardage differential is very significant

fitz has to grind out long drives and chan basically doesn't even bother with the 2 minute drill

his deep ball problems are so weird.  he can be laser accurate on a short slant in the redzone in heavy traffic, his deep ones are basically heaves, almost like he has his eyes shut

the jets won't be truly dangerous until they sort that out.  you have to throw the safeties out of the box somehow

Stats do not in any way represent Fitz actual contribution. He is way less effective than his stats suggest largely because so much of it is because of useless dump off passing. But he's white. And from Harvard. Fact is, he is not very good.

Sounds like Chaddy cakes who was a Rhodes scholar finalist.. He also has a degree in journalism..:)

The hipster experts of Twitter love Bridgewater. He's very OK.

I would take him over anything the jets have a million times over, but it would only be 3 weeks before the natives around here started killing him for checking down all the time, lol

chads arm strength really traumatized parts of this fan base

Fitz at least makes us look like a professional football team. The Geno/Sanchez/Rex triumvirate there were many weeks were we didn't. The offense generally looks prepared...as much as Gailey will drive you nuts at times.

Yup, baby steps. We aren't being mocked incessently on Sports Center and are in the hunt past the halfway point. Good year to year improvement. I'll take it.

Last year, Ryan Tannehill completed more passes that Dan Marino ever did in a season.

Ryan Tannehill.

You don't have to be a good QB to have nice looking passing stats in this league any more. Those guys are out there Fan Dueling it up.

Spare me the numbers. Just get me someone who actually beats teams. By himself if need be.

Had a few minutes and was curious so took at look at Fitz's last 16 regular season starts.  Not bad...

• 277 for 458 for 3,410 - 60.5% completion percentage, 27 TD's, 11 INT's, 4 fumbles (2 lost), 63 rushes for 277 yds and 2 TD's.  Overall accounted for 29 TD's and 13 TO's.

I randomly selected Philip Rivers for comparison and his numbers look like this:

• 68% completion percentage, 4968 yards, 30 TD's, 17 INT's, 0 rushing TD's, 4 fumbles lost.  Overall accounted for 30 TD's, 21 TO's.

Fitz's cap charge 2015 is $3.25 Million.  Rivers is $21.1 Million.  

Fitz ain't elite and he's not our long term answer.  But his production has been strong his last 16 and he's great value.

Here is the problem with what you posted. Fitz stats are not dramatically better than a first and 2nd year player.

Geno last 16: 273/460 59.3% 3105 yards, 17 TDs and 14 interceptions 79 rushes for 360 yards, and 3 TDs, 8 fumbles 3 lost

Fitz' numbers ARE better but not dramatically better. Most notable are the 10 additional TDs but it has to be said that Fitz has a healthy Brandon Marshall and Decker to throw to and Geno did not, and a much better OC.

Simply by the numbers Fitz and Geno are very similar players. And this is a large part of the reason that I think we mistakenly are playing Fitz and not seeing what we have in Geno. All moot though the Jets FO seems to have moved on.

As much as some posters want it Geno is never going to play for the Jets ever again  unless Fitz gets hurt.  

Some posters here are very butt hurt over that.   So they bash Fitz.    Truth is my eyes tell me that the offense looks and is better then any time since Favre.  

Now I and any sane poster hope that Petty is ready to start next year and he is the QB that some if us have been waiting 40 years for.   

A    Truth is my eyes tell me that the offense looks and is better then any time since Favre.  

Do not see that AT ALL. Our offense is so so limited with Fitz. Reality is that the problems are not as obvious because Marshall and Decker have made some plays, and the offense is getting more chances because of turnovers, But our offense is pretty lame, and even the coaching staff does not really trust it. Also, Fitz has a history of collapsing as the season goes on. I have close to zero confidence in Fitz as the QB, He is the proverbial safe choice though, good guy, team mates like him, he is a veteran and he is smart. Conservative coaches like that because it is less stress and less volatile. But our offense is not good, despite having upgraded weapons. QB remains a gigantic hole. 

Do not see that AT ALL. Our offense is so so limited with Fitz. Reality is that the problems are not as obvious because Marshall and Decker have made some plays, and the offense is getting more chances because of turnovers, But our offense is pretty lame, and even the coaching staff does not really trust it. Also, Fitz has a history of collapsing as the season goes on. I have close to zero confidence in Fitz as the QB, He is the proverbial safe choice though, good guy, team mates like him, he is a veteran and he is smart. Conservative coaches like that because it is less stress and less volatile. But our offense is not good, despite having upgraded weapons. QB remains a gigantic hole. 

None of what you said is remotely true. We are all now dumber for reading it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. 

None of those guys have an ounce more upside then Fitz, and most of them have a much lower downside as well. You remind me of my 4 year old.....

I want a lollipop.

Me, well, I don't have any lollipops, you can have an apple.

I waaaaaant a lollipop.

I understand you want a lollipop, and if I had one, I would give you one, but I don't, so you can have an apple, or a piece of stale bread.

BUT, I waaaaaant a lollipop.

I don't have a lollipop, I know they taste good, but apples have some benefits, they are pretty tasty, and they don't rot your teeth.

APPLES ARE STUPID!!! AND YOUR A DOODY HEAD!

Repeat this sequence indefinitely, replace lollipop with a top 5 QB, replace apple with Fitzpatrick, replace stale bread with some non apple, mediocre qb backup qb, and we have you.

Stats do not in any way represent Fitz actual contribution. He is way less effective than his stats suggest largely because so much of it is because of useless dump off passing. But he's white. And from Harvard. Fact is, he is not very good.

This is idiotic. I am black, and I despise Geno and would far rather see Fitzpatrick in there.  Using that BS is disgraceful, and actually hurts not only your argument, but valid arguments where that is the case.

You want Geno Smith to be the starting QB for this team.  Your opinion is invalid.  All of it.  Go back to playing in the sandbox with Pac and can't wait.  The rest of us have moved on.

I want to make a final decision on Geno, not want Geno to be the starter. Big difference. Fitz sucks and we are just treading water with him, but that is OK seemingly for a lot of people.

I want to make a final decision on Geno, not want Geno to be the starter. Big difference. Fitz sucks and we are just treading water with him, but that is OK seemingly for a lot of people.

I hate to tell you, but YOU don't get the decision. Maybe if you send in your resume to Woody, he will replace Mac with you, but until then, you don't really get to say, sorry. The Jets FO,  who have spent a tremendous amount more time with him than you, and do this for a living, have made their decsion on Geno.

I hate to tell you, but YOU don't get the decision. Maybe if you send in your resume to Woody, he will replace Mac with you, but until then, you don't really get to say, sorry. The Jets FO,  who have spent a tremendous amount more time with him than you, and do this for a living, have made their decsion on Geno.

Wow, really? Does not mean that the decision by the Jets FO is the correct one. Because of the hire/fire cycle many decisions are made by both GMs and HCs that are safe and have less chance to blow up in their face. They often would rather play an over the hill veteran than a young player with upside because they are afraid of the mistakes rookies will make. First round draft pick QBs tend to buck this trend a little bit lately. People can like Fitz and think he is a good QB, and the Jets FO can think the same thing, despite all the history against it. Does not make it right. I think a great amount of fans are OK with just being mediocre, maybe sneaking into the playoffs, playing a lot of close games. I am not. I think that philosophy leads to a long term mediocre team and starting Fitz and continuing to start him is one of those "safe" moves, his stats will look OK, he will make some plays here and there, but at the end of the day he is too limited to actually win games that are competitive and playing him means we will continue to be mediocre. If you are OK with that, good for you. I say piss on that. I want the Jets to do what it takes to build a long term elite team. And Fitz starting and especially extending Fitz does nothing to start that process.

Wow, really? Does not mean that the decision by the Jets FO is the correct one. Because of the hire/fire cycle many decisions are made by both GMs and HCs that are safe and have less chance to blow up in their face. They often would rather play an over the hill veteran than a young player with upside because they are afraid of the mistakes rookies will make. First round draft pick QBs tend to buck this trend a little bit lately. People can like Fitz and think he is a good QB, and the Jets FO can think the same thing, despite all the history against it. Does not make it right. I think a great amount of fans are OK with just being mediocre, maybe sneaking into the playoffs, playing a lot of close games. I am not. I think that philosophy leads to a long term mediocre team and starting Fitz and continuing to start him is one of those "safe" moves, his stats will look OK, he will make some plays here and there, but at the end of the day he is too limited to actually win games that are competitive and playing him means we will continue to be mediocre. If you are OK with that, good for you. I say piss on that. I want the Jets to do what it takes to build a long term elite team. And Fitz starting and especially extending Fitz does nothing to start that process.

I think you should send your resume into Woody, you are clearly more competent than anyone they have on their staff. If you get the job, just do good, I cant take another 10 years of suck.

Here's what you're discounting, though: it is the ultimate leadership position and Geno is not a leader. 

I was all for giving him a fair shot at the job should he prove good enough, because he does have good physical skills and the team would be better off if he could get it together. And then under the guidance of a new HC, OC, and QBC, he started out - on the field - doing really well from virtually all camp reports. But it ends there for another reason. The reason he lost his job in a locker room: he's a spoiled baby and an a-hole. He was handed a job and, without accepting he should appreciate lucking into that after his first 2 years' body of work, he used it to throw his weight around to a backup player just wanting to get paid back. The whole team knew IK was far more in the wrong, but there seemed to be the overall sentiment or tone, from the players, that Geno kind of got what was coming to him. Yet even in acknowledging he was sucker-punched, there was no, "Hey, man. That's our starting QB. He's our leader, and IK is a punk bitch." No Keyshawn/T.O. podium tears for losing their starting QB and team leader. There was no such sense of loss.

Fitzpatrick is not a good QB, but he is a leader (or at a minimum, he certainly appears to be the best one the team has right now). The team likes him, looks up to him, and you know it isn't because of his prowess throwing the football (or even seeing which receiver is open after the ball is snapped). They have confidence in him not purely because he's so good or talented, but because the alternative gives them no confidence and sucks the life out of the team. 

Geno even had a good game for a while against Oakland, hitting a dozen straight completions or something (and it wasn't due to repeated circus catches), and made a long gainer with his feet. No one on the team cared. Not one anonymous grumbling or leak out of the locker room that maybe they should reconsider who the starter is. Not even after the very next loss to Rex/Buffalo, where Fitz started out like 5 of 20 as we got into a huge hole. They all still preferred Fitz and his gimp left hand, and wobbly passes that too often get batted down because he stares down his man and then throws sidearm from his 6'2" tall frame. They still don't want Geno. Moreover, neither does the coach or GM. They're all done with him, and it isn't without reason.

Here's what you're discounting, though: it is the ultimate leadership position and Geno is not a leader. 

I was all for giving him a fair shot at the job should he prove good enough, because he does have good physical skills and the team would be better off if he could get it together. And then under the guidance of a new HC, OC, and QBC, he started out - on the field - doing really well from virtually all camp reports. But it ends there for another reason. The reason he lost his job in a locker room: he's a spoiled baby and an a-hole. He was handed a job and, without accepting he should appreciate lucking into that after his first 2 years' body of work, he used it to throw his weight around to a backup player just wanting to get paid back. The whole team knew IK was far more in the wrong, but there seemed to be the overall sentiment or tone, from the players, that Geno kind of got what was coming to him. Yet even in acknowledging he was sucker-punched, there was no, "Hey, man. That's our starting QB. He's our leader, and IK is a punk bitch." No Keyshawn/T.O. podium tears for losing their starting QB and team leader. There was no such sense of loss.

Fitzpatrick is not a good QB, but he is a leader (or at a minimum, he certainly appears to be the best one the team has right now). The team likes him, looks up to him, and you know it isn't because of his prowess throwing the football (or even seeing which receiver is open after the ball is snapped). They have confidence in him not purely because he's so good or talented, but because the alternative gives them no confidence and sucks the life out of the team. 

Geno even had a good game for a while against Oakland, hitting a dozen straight completions or something (and it wasn't due to repeated circus catches), and made a long gainer with his feet. No one on the team cared. Not one anonymous grumbling or leak out of the locker room that maybe they should reconsider who the starter is. Not even after the very next loss to Rex/Buffalo, where Fitz started out like 5 of 20 as we got into a huge hole. They all still preferred Fitz and his gimp left hand, and wobbly passes that too often get batted down because he stares down his man and then throws sidearm from his 6'2" tall frame. They still don't want Geno. Moreover, neither does the coach or GM. They're all done with him, and it isn't without reason.

Pretty much says it all. Not sure why some people just cant get this. I think its the impact of fantasy football and video games.

Here's some more data to digest with regards to the performance of our offense, regardless of who's playing QB.  It is not perfect.  Fitz isn't the long term answer.  But for a NY Jets offense this group is performing very well.  It's not where we need to be but you can win with this group...and I feel they've been banged up and have fundamental flaws (no TE at all, an aging OL that has injury issues, no depth at RB).  Gailey is making the most of what we have.  Take a look, curious to hear your comments:

• NY Jets have played 47 seasons since winning the Super Bowl.
  • 14 of those years they've been ranked 12th in points or better (our ranking today).
  • 9 of those years were before 1990; 5 of those years after 1990...that means only 5x in the last 25 years we've been ranked 12th or better.
    • 1998 - 5th
    • 2008 - 9th
    • 1991 - 11th
    • 1997 - 12th
    • 2015 - 12th
  • Since the year 2000 only one other time has our offense scored as many points compared to the rest of the league as we have this year.

We do not have a stud QB that can win games by himself or strike fear into opponents the way a Brady, Manning, Big Ben, etc. can but we have an overall offense that is plenty good enough to enable us to win games and be very successful.  We haven't had this type of balance across our team for a while.  

Again - I'm not proclaiming we are good enough to dethrone the top echelon teams but we have an offense that can produce and you have to give some credit where it's due.

Archived