Has the defensive line underperformed?

Matt39

Just saw their adjusted sack rate on the season ranked them at 21st in football. I've been somewhat on the fence with Mo, but it's gotta be a no-brainer at this point to bring him back...as he's clearly our best pass rusher.

Need an edge guy obviously. Get a couple more cheap seasons out of Sheldon but I'd imagine he's the odd man out.

With the amount of picks we've spent on our DL over these past few years, we should have had far and away both the pass pass rush and the best run stopping. Talent-wise, we have the best DL in the league, and it's not even close. But it hasn't resulted in the dominance that we expected. Granted, a lot of it was due to no LB support, but we've invested enough in the DL for them to be self-sufficient.

It'll probably only get worse if they let Snacks go. Him not on the line occupying blockers will lower the effectiveness of the other players. He's the key piece to that line, not Mo. 

if they both hit the open market, who signs first, and who gets more offers, and who gets the better deal ?

if they both hit the open market, who signs first, and who gets more offers, and who gets the better deal ?

Snacks would probably be paid more versus what most nose tackles make versus what Mo will get on the open market for what most defensive ends make. The most important position in a 3-4 defense is the nose tackle. 

If they don't bring back Snacks, they'll have a massive hole in the front seven. If they let Wilkerson go, they won't.  

Snacks would probably be paid more versus what most nose tackles make versus what Mo will get on the open market for what most defensive ends make. The most important position in a 3-4 defense is the nose tackle. 

If they don't bring back Snacks, they'll have a massive hole in the front seven. If they let Wilkerson go, they won't.  

lol

nice try.  I think you meant to say a NT who can rush the passer

snacks value on the open market will be very average because he can't rush the passer for sh*t and he is basically a 2 down player

mo is a 3 down player who stuffs the run and rushes the passer.  if he hits the open market he will get a jaw dropping deal

how do you advance in the pass happy AFC, stopping the run or rushing the passer ?

its weird, I didn't see snacks on that top 20 FA list.  there was a NT tho.  he was there because of his pass rush

run stuffers are very 1975

lol

nice try.  I think you meant to say a NT who can rush the passer

snacks value on the open market will be very average because he can't rush the passer for sh*t and he is basically a 2 down player

mo is a 3 down player who stuffs the run and rushes the passer.  if he hits the open market he will get a jaw dropping deal

how do you advance in the pass happy AFC, stopping the run or rushing the passer ?

its weird, I didn't see snacks on that top 20 FA list.  there was a NT tho.  he was there because of his pass rush

run stuffers are very 1975

Then let someone else overpay for Mo. He's a good player. He's not a game changer. He's not worth a contract that he'll get. He's also coming off a significant leg injury. People on this board massively overrate him. I'd like him back, but the Jets went through long stretches against bad teams with no real pressure and paid for it on the back end a lot.  

Then let someone else overpay for Mo. He's a good player. He's not a game changer. He's not worth a contract that he'll get. He's also coming off a significant leg injury. People on this board massively overrate him. I'd like him back, but the Jets went through long stretches against bad teams with no real pressure and paid for it on the back end a lot.  

so let the best pass rusher go ?

got it, lol

the cap is going up

letting the teams best player (considering age) walk over dollars at the age of 26 would be a huge mistake

if you think his replacement is already on the roster, you are mistaken.  the jets would have a huge hole to fill at a key position

the guy that needs to go is sheldumb.  in a perfect world they keep snacks and mo in my  opinion

but if I have to pick between mo and snacks is mo 100 times out of 100

this team needs to be built to beat the cheatahs, needs to punish the passer. 

Keeping MO, unless he is sub $10M per year is just dumb. He is a pro bowl level player but not a game changer like Watt.And we have Shedon and Leonard still. Snacks on the other hand despite being a 2.5 down player is a difference maker. 

Snacks, 1st or 2nd round pick, and $8-10 million in cap space is FAR more valuable than Mo at $14-$15 million and it is not even remotely close.

so let the best pass rusher go ?

got it, lol

the cap is going up

letting the teams best player (considering age) walk over dollars at the age of 26 would be a huge mistake

if you think his replacement is already on the roster, you are mistaken.  the jets would have a huge hole to fill at a key position

the guy that needs to go is sheldumb.  in a perfect world they keep snacks and mo in my  opinion

but if I have to pick between mo and snacks is mo 100 times out of 100

this team needs to be built to beat the cheatahs, needs to punish the passer. 

I do agree that I'd rather Mo than Sheldon. Sheldon's value is in the gutter. So, they're stuck with him. 

the question hat has to be asked by letting Mo go is....what are you going to do with the savings?  If you can't get a dominating player then why not keep your guy?  The money has to b song somewhere.  

the question hat has to be asked by letting Mo go is....what are you going to do with the savings?  If you can't get a dominating player then why not keep your guy?  The money has to b song somewhere.  

Snacks, Fitz, Powell, Erin Henderson, Douzable, etc. 16 million for one player on defense when you have Revis making 17 is just not doable. 

Mo is a good player, not a dominating one. He's never taken the defense on his back and said I'm doing this. He's never had that game. Steady and reliable doesn't make you dominating. 

Snacks, Fitz, Powell, Erin Henderson, Douzable, etc. 16 million for one player on defense when you have Revis making 17 is just not doable. 

Mo is a good player, not a dominating one. He's never taken the defense on his back and said I'm doing this. He's never had that game. Steady and reliable doesn't make you dominating. 

except Snacks, those are all average at best (and even then you can keep some of them) You need game changing type players.  You win with difference makers.  

Now, if you want to show me a $16mm worthy offensive player - WR or RB I'm all for getting rid of Mo - but getting rid of Mo for the purpose of keeping a bunch of Jags, I don't get it.  

as you watch the cheatahs pass 50 times tomorrow, ask yourselves why a team in the afce would want a run stuffer over a run stuffer/pass rusher and which player brady wants to see out of the division

srsly

And if you were GM what would you pay Mo 16?? 20?? a piece of the team?? Chandler Jones has the same sacks as Mo playing 1 less season..Do you see the Pats paying him 16 million?? Brady isn't making 16 million..

And if you were GM what would you pay Mo 16?? 20?? a piece of the team?? Chandler Jones has the same sacks as Mo playing 1 less season..Do you see the Pats paying him 16 million?? Brady isn't making 16 million..

sigh

we've been through this before dude.  jones isn't any where near the player mo wilk is and the brady thing is just not even worth discussing.  please stop bringing that up

I offer him "less than watt" money in total, but give him a big chunk of it guaranteed in exchange.  He was a good soldier this year and didn't hold out, he is a 3 down player, good leader, reliable, durable and never in the news for doing dumb sh*t, a jets draft pick and good guy playing an impact position.  If any player on this team is worth a big investment risk, it is mo wilk, and thats not even debatable

this is who basically all of these deals go;

year 1 = player is way over paid

year 2 = player is a little over paid

year 3 - player is little under paid

year 4 = player is way under paid

top talents costs more every year, the cap is going up

the jets need to act like a top team put on their big boy pants  and just pay him

sort of.  a lot of dirty work going on that doesn't get love.

that said, I can't remember a game they took over, and the jets played some really banged up o-lines this year

TOOK OVER?  Agreed.  Young fans don't remember the sack exchange.  Took over games.

at times..our d line looks slow.   With all the picks we put in our Dline...  I expected a more explosive front.

We run a hybrid 3-4, Mo's just had a a career year. His first double digit sack season in a contract year.

How would you feel if he resigned for 14 mill per, and went back to his usual 6 sacks. His "dirty work" is not worth the extra money.

I'd resign Snacks, trade Mo, and just plug in Williams. What we need to take the D to the next level, is fast backers.

I love Mo but a luxury we can lose and pick up extra picks to build. We'd also save the 14/15mill to use else where.

A final point is how bad was the leg break, and is he the same player going forward?

We run a hybrid 3-4, Mo's just had a a career year. His first double digit sack season in a contract year.

How would you feel if he resigned for 14 mill per, and went back to his usual 6 sacks. His "dirty work" is not worth the extra money.

I'd resign Snacks, trade Mo, and just plug in Williams. What we need to take the D to the next level, is fast backers.

I love Mo but a luxury we can lose and pick up extra picks to build. We'd also save the 14/15mill to use else where.

A final point is how bad was the leg break, and is he the same player going forward?

100% correct that's what you need in a 3-4 Defense..We have the need for speed..;)

Archived