The FINAL, definitive argument on Fitz vs. Geno

JohnnyLV

We will NEVER EVER agree. I think he is a complete JAG, one of the more overrated players in the NFL and a boat anchor to the Jets future. Many think he is the perfect bridge QB, super smart, and a "leader". No argument either side makes will move either opinion (and they are just that -opinions) an iota. Why don't we just talk about the other exciting aspects if the offseason and just stop already. It is SOOO old.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing generates discussion like a QB competition.  Unlike most posters who have a definite opinion on who should start, I am torn as to what the correct course of action is.  I appreciate Fitzpatrick for his performance last season but am not convinced he can do it again.  I also am intrigued with the physical attributes of Geno am but concerned about his decision making in games. My biggest concern is giving up on Geno too early, he never should have started in 2013, but due to a perplexing decision by Rex in the Giants pre-season game in 2013, Geno was forced to start. 

Look I was much happier on this issue before the leak. I thought maybe there were smart reasons behind this long delay in signing our starting Qb that made sense. Like not having the cap space and waiting until they opened some up. Both sides were cool and calm like they knew things would work out. But now I'm starting to witness stupid moves again coming from our FO. And a dumb way of trying to negotiate a contract. And incompetency back in the forefront once again. Like maybe it never left. 

It's not necessarily Fitz v Geno. It's Fitz v Geno, Petty, Hackenberg. If you leave Fitz on the street, you give Geno eight starts with Gailey coaching him. If he sucks, give Petty the next crack. If Petty is embarrassing, you give Hackenberg a few games at the end of the year. What's more likely: that Fitz has some untapped well of talent that he hasn't shown in 11 years or that Geno, Petty, and Hackenberg are just outright horrible talents who can't be coached? Either way, you're not winning the Super Bowl in 2016. May as well save some coin and hope one of your kid QBs steps up. The outright worst case scenario is that they yield to Fitz, he goes out and sucks, and then you're paying him $20 mil over the following two years.

22 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I dont generally like cutups of either highlights or mistakes, but jesus christ this is only over 2 years:

Just non competitive.

42 in 2 seasons.

22 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I dont generally like cutups of either highlights or mistakes, but jesus christ this is only over 2 years:

Just non competitive.

there are a lot of defensive scores in that video

15 minutes ago, AFJF said:

42 in 2 seasons.

In Fitzpatricks prime years in buffalo (2011/2012) Fitz had 51 turnovers in 2 years. If you add in 2010 he had a total of 74 turnovers in 3 years. 

He was a 5th, 6th and 7th year veteran during that time, not a rookie and 2nd year player. 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

In Fitzpatricks prime years in buffalo (2011/2012) Fitz had 51 turnovers in 2 years. If you add in 2010 he had a total of 74 turnovers in 3 years. 

He was a 5th, 6th and 7th year veteran during that time, not a rookie and 2nd year player. 

I know...remember back when defenses were allowed to play defense.  Crazy times.  

Oh, thats what it was. My bad. 

Then Geno stinks. 

I don't know...he might.

Fitz starts this year, Geno next year.

We can re-visit this debate at that time.

It depends. We can only revisit this debate once defenses are once again allowed to play defense. ;)

Nope.  They're not allowed to do it this year and won't be allowed to do it next year.  

Based on the contract offer to Fitz, clearly they only want him to start this year.

So we get Fitz this year, Geno next year.  

First of all, the QBs must be viewed in the context of the system.  In the Chan Gailey system, there is absolutely no question Fitz is more effective than Geno and gives us a better chance to win.  Anyone arguing otherwise is a complete idiot.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Just non competitive.

LOL

WOW, almost 9 and a half minutes of nothing but Picks, picks 6's, and fumbles for TD's.   I don't care if they pay Fitz $60,000,000,000,000,000, a year, I can't do another year of that .

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

We will NEVER EVER agree. I think he is a complete JAG, one of the more overrated players in the NFL and a boat anchor to the Jets future. Many think he is the perfect bridge QB, super smart, and a "leader". No argument either side makes will move either opinion (and they are just that -opinions) an iota. Why don't we just talk about the other exciting aspects if the offseason and just stop already. It is SOOO old.

So what's so final about this thread, then? You have your opinion (stating it) and you suggest other areas for banter. That's it. That's NOT suggesting any final argument in regards to Fitz? I say your opinion is WRONG and you certainly do not have what is best for the NYJ as an organization in mind. Starting Fitz is the Jets bet chance at winning in 2016 and that is what is best for the NYJ.

BTW, I must say I love that dog. I had a Black Lab that I lost last summer, but that avatar of yours makes me think about getting another...:)

1 hour ago, jetscrazey said:

First of all, the QBs must be viewed in the context of the system.  In the Chan Gailey system, there is absolutely no question Fitz is more effective than Geno and gives us a better chance to win.  Anyone arguing otherwise is a complete idiot.

If QB's must be viewed in the context of the system then how is it that you're speaking on Geno Smith when you never seen him in the system? Or was that an idiot question? 

lol. 

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Just non competitive.

And that ladies and gentlemen, is why the Pats trolls want to see Geno Smith as the starting QB of the Jets, keep that in mind while you pos rep your the Sh!t out of the pats trolls.

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

LOL

WOW, almost 9 and a half minutes of nothing but Picks, picks 6's, and fumbles for TD's.   I don't care if they pay Fitz $60,000,000,000,000,000, a year, I can't do another year of that .

Yeah, 9.28 mins in slow-motion so you can see numerous blown protections and hits while throwing. 

You know ... things you notice when it's Fitz.

19 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Yeah, 9.28 mins in slow-motion so you can see numerous blown protections and hits while throwing. 

You know ... things you notice when it's Fitz.

Yeah like Fitz didn't play with Breno Winters, Cumberland, and Ivory all year. He just gets the ball out quicker. Come on man 3 picks in 8 attempts. 5 straight games with no TDs. 2 years running as the reigning worst QB in the NFL as voted by players and coaches. 

Fitz finished the year 5-1. Bowels has said all along that Fitz is the starter when he signs, and still believes that he will. This dream you have is just not reality based. Sorry man. 

1 minute ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Yeah like Fitz didn't play with Breno and Winters all year. He just gets the ball out quicker. Come on man 3 picks in 8 attempts. 5 straight games with no TDs. 2 years running as the reigning worst QB in the NFL as voted by players and coaches. 

Fitz finished the year 5-1. Bowels has said all along that Fitz is the starter when he signs, and still believes that he will. This dream you have is just not reality based. Sorry man. 

Not reality is comparing a rookie/sophomore to an 11-year vet. 

4 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

If QB's must be viewed in the context of the system then how is it that you're speaking on Geno Smith when you never seen him in the system? Or was that an idiot question? 

lol. 

I saw enough in a preseason game and Oakland.

Also, please impart upon us your wisdom.  It seems you know something the entire Jets front office doesn't know about Geno Smith.  Otherwise they wouldn't get pursuing Fitzpatrick idiot.

Archived