Last post from me on Fitzy

Jetster

What did we do to deserve this as Jet fans? We're waiting on a journeyman QB looking for 2nd & 3rd year compensation. The only reason this is even a story is because of the proliferation of NFL shows, NFL network, Sirius NFL radio. It's ridiculous! This f*cking team! no matter who is running it always comes up smelling like sh*t & players are always pissing on them.

I'd be completely behind Macc if he just set a deadline & drew a line in the sand on Fitz. I don't care how well he plays this year, I highly doubt we're winning the Super Bowl & I damn sure don't want him QBing this team in 2017 & 2018. 

Just this headline tells you everything you need to know about being a Jet fan.

"FITZPATRICK HOLDING NY JETS HOSTAGE" ugh.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really really hate to think along these lines but it's beginning to feel like the circus is back in town.  Tebow, the Sanchez extension, Idzik's failure to spend, Rex the baffoon, it's not there yet but it feels close.  Mac, resolve this now!!!

9 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

I really really hate to think along these lines but it's beginning to feel like the circus is back in town.  Tebow, the Sanchez extension, Idzik's failure to spend, Rex the baffoon, it's not there yet but it feels close.  Mac, resolve this now!!!

Not sure how trying not to overspend on a journeyman qb is like Tebow or remotely close to anything circus like . 

21 minutes ago, Section 333 said:

Not sure how trying not to overspend on a journeyman qb is like Tebow or remotely close to anything circus like . 

It's not just that Fitz is holding them hostage.  It's also the surrounding circumstances....

HC declaring him the starter (even though he's not on the team)

GM declaring that he's their most important free agent (even though you have an all-pro DT)

WR's holding out, in an unprecedented move, from OTA's in solidarity of their 33 year old, journeyman QB, who was offered $12mm.

This is why it's a Circus.  

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

What did we do to deserve this as Jet fans? We're waiting on a journeyman QB looking for 2nd & 3rd year compensation. The only reason this is even a story is because of the proliferation of NFL shows, NFL network, Sirius NFL radio. It's ridiculous! This f*cking team! no matter who is running it always comes up smelling like sh*t & players are always pissing on them.

I'd be completely behind Macc if he just set a deadline & drew a line in the sand on Fitz. I don't care how well he plays this year, I highly doubt we're winning the Super Bowl & I damn sure don't want him QBing this team in 2017 & 2018. 

Its simple, stop waiting. 

Some of us are content with seeing Geno Smith after sitting and learning a new system under better coaching and with a better team around him on both sides of the ball. 

The Fitz situation is ridiculous, only from the perspective that people are waiting on him as if he's the answer. He's never been the answer. He's a nice guy, you can tell from how he handles himself. But Fitz is in no way holding the Jets hostage. Its Jets fans that need to move forward with the QB's currently on the roster. Given the fact that you're highly doubtful that we'll win the SB, I would suggest having that same amount of doubt for even making it to the Playoffs with Fitz, since he's never done it. 

Bottom line - a team cannot be held hostage by a journeymen QB.  The fact that the Jets brain trust has let this drag on for this long and has allowed the public perception to sour on them a little signals one of two things to me - either they are bumbling fools, or they have absolutely no faith in Geno Smith.  Pick your poison.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

He did set the date. 9/11 

He either signs or he doesn't. Why in the world would you give an ultimatum? This hostage thing is all a matter of perception.  

58 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It's not just that Fitz is holding them hostage.  It's also the surrounding circumstances....

GM declaring that he's their most important free agent (even though you have an all-pro DT)

WR's holding out, in an unprecedented move, from OTA's in solidarity of their 33 year old, journeyman QB, who was offered $12mm.

Holding hostage. That's a good one. He doesn't like the deal. If the Jets want him let them raise their offer. 

19 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Bottom line - a team cannot be held hostage by a journeymen QB.  The fact that the Jets brain trust has let this drag on for this long and has has allowed the public perception to sour on them a little signals one of two things to me - either they are bumbling fools, or they have absolutely no faith in Geno Smith.  Pick your poison.

You KNOW Bowles and Mac have no faith in Geno. They have BOTH called Fitz the starting QB even though HE ISN'T ON THE TEAM. Geno Smith is going through the motions and little else. He will not be a Jet in 2017 and will backup Fitz when he finally DOES sign. Jets just need to make it a one year deal worth 12 million and then if Fitz wins the starting job in 2017 against Petty and Hackenberg, then deal with it when that time comes. Pretty simple.

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

Resolve this now, how is he supposed to do that? Overpay (that would be the Sanchez extension)? Withdraw the offer and have Geno start and cut off his nose to spite his face? Panic to solve it now - that would be a circus.

Mac has his plan, and he appears to be following it and making adjustments along the way. He goes after people in FA he feels are quality but doesn't overspend but still doesn't cheap out of fail to act when needed. He tried to get Brick to lower his price, and when he retired, he traded for his replacement. This team was a mess when Mac took over, did anyone really think it would become whole in 1 season, or 2?

There was so a lack of circus around the Fitz stalemate, that when some info was leaked - everyone assumed it was a move by Mac to force Fitz's hand. That is careful, patient, strategic thinking - not a circus.

We as fans have a right to want to see progress and we can afford to 'panic' or want a change to see progress, but a FO can't. They are being methodical; that is pretty much the opposite of a circus of feel good, win the moment and loose the cause.

They fell Fitz gives them the best chance to win now - hence the 12 millions, but likely feel that next years starter is on the team (thus the 2 years as backup), but are hedging their bet with incentives in case he starts. That is smart. They tried to trade up to get their QB this year, but wouldn't give up the farm for it. If QBs grew on trees, every NFL team would have one. This is a thoughtful, yet aggressive approach, not a circus.

They told Fitz (and everyone else ) IF Fitz comes back, he would be the starter - he earned that. And others would have to win the job away. That should have motivated Fitz to sign - and should motivate other players to succeed.

They aren't wearing the son's team's helmets to press conferences, hiring QBs that are not NFL capable but who bring a media frenzy with them; they aren't handing out fat contracts to players who either haven't made it or who are divas at the end of their careers to avoid hurting their feelings, or promising super bowl victories

-- I think many forget what the circus was indeed like.

There aren't any guaranteed ways to build a championship team, but their are many guaranteed ways to destroy a team, and changing front offices every two years is one of them.

1 minute ago, bostonmajet said:

There aren't any guaranteed ways to build a championship team, but their are many guaranteed ways to destroy a team, and changing front offices every two years is one of them.

Like paying a journey QB who has never been to the playoffs $12mm.   

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Like paying a journey QB who has never been to the playoffs $12mm.   

12 mm pays him as the 23rd ranked QB in the league - maybe a little high but not ridiculous. He is a good fit for the Jets and has good chemistry with the WRs. I would say he played somewhere in the 25-28th position. So, no I don't think it is ridiculous. QBs are expensive. Starting QBs are more than expensive. Just because he isn't a top 10 QB, doesn't mean you can pay him backup pay.

Offering 6 and instead Having to start a guy who ranked at the bottom of the list would be ridiculous. Even if he is the worse starting QB in the league, you would still likely have to pay 10, no? Not saying Geno can't play better, but do you want him to be your only option? What happens if he gets hurt (or beat up by another team mate). Would you rather the team throw away the year just to save 6 million? Is 12 really that outlandish pay for a starting QB? Telling him to F.. off because you want to underpay the most important position - that would be a circus.

19 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Resolve this now, how is he supposed to do that? Overpay (that would be the Sanchez extension)? Withdraw the offer and have Geno start and cut off his nose to spite his face? Panic to solve it now - that would be a circus.

Mac has his plan, and he appears to be following it and making adjustments along the way. He goes after people in FA he feels are quality but doesn't overspend but still doesn't cheap out of fail to act when needed. He tried to get Brick to lower his price, and when he retired, he traded for his replacement. This team was a mess when Mac took over, did anyone really think it would become whole in 1 season, or 2?

There was so a lack of circus around the Fitz stalemate, that when some info was leaked - everyone assumed it was a move by Mac to force Fitz's hand. That is careful, patient, strategic thinking - not a circus.

We as fans have a right to want to see progress and we can afford to 'panic' or want a change to see progress, but a FO can't. They are being methodical; that is pretty much the opposite of a circus of feel good, win the moment and loose the cause.

They fell Fitz gives them the best chance to win now - hence the 12 millions, but likely feel that next years starter is on the team (thus the 2 years as backup), but are hedging their bet with incentives in case he starts. That is smart. They tried to trade up to get their QB this year, but wouldn't give up the farm for it. If QBs grew on trees, every NFL team would have one. This is a thoughtful, yet aggressive approach, not a circus.

They told Fitz (and everyone else ) IF Fitz comes back, he would be the starter - he earned that. And others would have to win the job away. That should have motivated Fitz to sign - and should motivate other players to succeed.

They aren't wearing the son's team's helmets to press conferences, hiring QBs that are not NFL capable but who bring a media frenzy with them; they aren't handing out fat contracts to players who either haven't made it or who are divas at the end of their careers to avoid hurting their feelings, or promising super bowl victories

-- I think many forget what the circus was indeed like.

This is an excellent post; felt slightly better after reading it.  Thanks.   

12 mm pays him as the 23rd ranked QB in the league - maybe a little high but not ridiculous. He is a good fit for the Jets and has good chemistry with the WRs. I would say he played somewhere in the 25-28th position. So, no I don't think it is ridiculous. QBs are expensive. Starting QBs are more than expensive. Just because he isn't a top 10 QB, doesn't mean you can pay him backup pay.

Fitz is a backup QB on 31 teams in the NFL.

That is the market value of his services.

Why should Jets pay him as a "starter"?

5 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Fitz is a backup QB on 31 teams in the NFL.

That is the market value of his services.

Why should Jets pay him as a "starter"?

The league pays for past experience (as well as future potential); He had a respectable year with the Jets last year and would project as a bottom of the league starter, so that is what they are offering. Clearly if he isn't coming off the couch at 12 million, he won't come off the couch at 6. Maybe you are right and he would be a backup on 31 other teams, but for this team, they need a bridge starting QB, and that is what Fitz is, so you have to pay for what you are getting. QBs aren't commodities, there aren't many of them and they are not interchangeable, so you can't price them as such.

This is how negotiation works. You can't draw a line in the sand and throw out an ultimatum unless you plan on honoring it and you feel you have nothing to lose if the ultimatum fails. You know Macc doesn't feel that way, otherwise he would have already moved on from Fitz.

Just now, rex-n-effect said:

This is how negotiation works. You can't draw a line in the sand and throw out an ultimatum unless you plan on honoring it and you feel you have nothing to lose if the ultimatum fails. You know Macc doesn't feel that way, otherwise he would have already moved on from Fitz.

Good point. 

The league pays for past experience (as well as future potential); He had a respectable year with the Jets last year and would project as a bottom of the league starter, so that is what they are offering. Clearly if he isn't coming off the couch at 12 million, he won't come off the couch at 6. Maybe you are right and he would be a backup on 31 other teams, but for this team, they need a bridge starting QB, and that is what Fitz is, so you have to pay for what you are getting. QBs aren't commodities, there aren't many of them and they are not interchangeable, so you can't price them as such.

I agree with you 100% and that is exactly what the Jets are doing.

Guarantee him the $12MM for 2016 and give the team a very easy out in year 2 and/or year 3.

If Fitz is looking for guaranteed money past this season, he needs to put down the crack pipe.

Jets FO has handled this situation perfectly so far. They need to draw a line in the sand time wise and then not cave in to Fitz's ridiculous demands.

Jets have all the leverage here, Fitz's has none.

3 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

Every man is expendable. I woUld have drawn the line already. In his biggest game as a NY Jets QB he choked. He is what he is and some here make him out to be Joe Montana. 

Pretty well not one person makes him out to be montana.  Pretty well not one person makes him out to be the long term starter or answer for the team.

15 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

I agree with you 100% and that is exactly what the Jets are doing.

Guarantee him the $12MM for 2016 and give the team a very easy out in year 2 and/or year 3.

If Fitz is looking for guaranteed money past this season, he needs to put down the crack pipe.

Jets FO has handled this situation perfectly so far. They need to draw a line in the sand time wise and then not cave in to Fitz's ridiculous demands.

Jets have all the leverage here, Fitz's has none.

Well other than the fact that he played well last year and the Jets are looking at starting Geno friggin Smith at QB instead.  Have a look at that nice thread with the Geno bad plays again and that is one hell of a lot of leverage.  The Jets want him despite the hopes and wishes of some fans.  They also know that the guys we have will be a poor substitute.  Whether they come to an agreement or not is a different issue but Fitz's leverage is retirement and having the jets have to sewer the season before it starts due to their QB situation.

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

No matter how you try to give reasons why, nothing here is circus like

Other than for at least a few more years there will be a certain contingent of the sky is falling group of fans who will say the circus is back in town every time something happens that they don't want to deal with or wait on.  

If you think this has been a circus you need to stay out of off season football.  Teams go through shlt in the offseason.

Eric Decker, Brandon Marshall back at Jets practice

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ - NOVEMBER 12:  Eric Decker #87 of the New York Jets is congratulated by his teammate Brandon Marshall after scoring a fourth quarter touchdown against the Buffalo Bills at MetLife Stadium on November 12, 2015 in East Rutherford, New Jersey. The Buffalo Bills defeated the New York Jets 22-17.  (Photo by Elsa/Getty Images)Getty Images

Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick and the Jets haven’t come to an agreement on a deal that would end their offseason-long standoff, so Fitzpatrick continues to be absent from the team as they kick off this week’s OTAs on Tuesday.

His top two receivers are at the team’s facility, however.

Eric Decker and Brandon Marshall didn’t attend the team’s practices last week amid reports that they were not happy with the fact that Fitzpatrick hasn’t been re-signed yet. According to multiple reports from beat reporters, however, both wideouts are returning to work out with the rest of the team.

Jets players will speak to the media after Wednesday’s session, so we may get some further details from the wideouts about their decision to stay away last week.

As for Fitzpatrick, the deal currently on the table from the Jets would pay him $12 million in the first year of a three-year deal with a base salary of $24 million. There’s no sign that Fitzpatrick is in a rush to accept that deal, which means the status quo will likely remain in place around the Jets a little while longer.

3 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

Every man is expendable. I woUld have drawn the line already. In his biggest game as a NY Jets QB he choked. He is what he is and some here make him out to be Joe Montana. 

Even Joe Montana was expendable... Bill Walsh was looking at options of trading him after he won just his 1st SuperBowl.

http://larrybrownsports.com/football/bill-walsh-trade-joe-montana-john-elway/199883

13 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Fit

True

Surely the reason why he should be paid as a starter is because if he signs, he'll be starting for the jets next season. This is the case irrespective of whether other teams want him to start for them or not.

If other teams were queuing up for his signature then he'd presumably be asking for even more money than he is?

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No matter how you try to give reasons why, nothing here is circus like

Other than for at least a few more years there will be a certain contingent of the sky is falling group of fans who will say the circus is back in town every time something happens that they don't want to deal with or wait on.  

If you think this has been a circus you need to stay out of off season football.  Teams go through shlt in the offseason.

When you leak things out to the media it can be a circus. If you keep things internal then you're being professional. Esp when you negotiate contracts which can be a very touchy and personal thing. You shouldn't via the press try to embarrass the player or make him look bad esp your starting Qb. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

When you leak things out to the media it can be a circus. If you keep things internal then you're being professional. Esp when you negotiate contracts which can be a very touchy and personal thing. You shouldn't via the press try to embarrass the player or make him look bad esp your starting Qb. 

Not if the leak successfully stopped two top WRs from sandbagging OTAs by not showing up.

7 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Yeah, never mind you don't have a clue that the Jets or anyone leaked anything out.  

I don't believe much of what these so called inside guys claim to know.  Cannizzaro says something .  Then Rappaport claims he knew, from March, bullshlt

1 hour ago, rex-n-effect said:

When other team members start making declarations a line may have to be drawn. You cannot let a QB controversy split the team apart. That can be disastrous. I remember the 1978-1980 Jets with Todd and Robinson. Brutal. The team could not unite until 1981

Archived