Cubs give me hope

kevinc855

Just now, kevinc855 said:

Just made the World Series for the first time since 1945. Shows you just wait long enough and your team just might make the big show again in your lifetime. 

Mac is no Theo Epstein and Bowles is certainly no Joe Maddon. Though maybe the Jets can see if Jon Lester could be a Boomer Esiason for them. 

It gives me hope that baseball will soon finally fall away from American consciousness. The Cubs winning a World Series would be the last compelling story for a mind-numbingly, boring sport.

I haven't watched an inning in many years but I am happy for Cubs fans everywhere nonetheless.

5 minutes ago, YankeeJet22 said:

I'll be 50 in November. I wasn't even 3 yet when we won. I need it. 

4 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

I was 10...and this is the reason I am a Jets fan today.

I remember.

I was 6 still have the #12 Namath jersey the helmet shoulder pads and pants were lost in a flood........

I believe 

32 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

It gives me hope that baseball will soon finally fall away from American consciousness. The Cubs winning a World Series would be the last compelling story for a mind-numbingly, boring sport.

I haven't watched an inning in many years but I am happy for Cubs fans everywhere nonetheless.

If you have a rooting interest in baseball. It's actually very entertaining 

1 hour ago, greenwave81 said:

I was 10...and this is the reason I am a Jets fan today.

I remember.

i was 30 when they won and if they don't do it again soon i doubt i will get to see it.   but at least i got to see one. still remember telling the wife to take the kids to her mothers and don't come back until i call

I was too young to appreciate our Super Bowl win.  Highlight of my adult sports life was the Rangers winning the cup in '94.  Any hockey fan that grew up in the New York area remembers those intense rivalries between the Islanders, Devils, and Rangers.  Rangers for years disappointed their fans. Always came up short.

Meanwhile, the Islanders are winning 4 cups.  Chants of 1940 rang everywhere.  Lots of needling from friends and relatives.  Not easy being a Ranger fan.

But when they finally won...

What an unbelievable feeling. All the suffering seemed to make it even sweeter.

Hang in there guys.  Don't know when, but we'll get there.

And it will be sweet!!

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Just made the World Series for the first time since 1945. Shows you just wait long enough and your team just might make the big show again in your lifetime. 

Ok so 71 years. We have another quarter century to go. yay!

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Dr.-Who.gif

So, were you alive in 68? Or did you like the 2009 season when two teams played dead at the end of the season to let the Jets back into the playoffs?

The 98 Jets were a damned good team, way better than the garbage of the last decade that squeaks it's way into a wildcard spot in a watered down NFL. 

It's not me that's sad, it's the pathetic Jets.

Carry on. Have fun watching the cringeworthy Geno Jets....

1 minute ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

So, were you alive in 68? Or did you like the 2009 season when two teams played dead at the end of the season to let the Jets back into the playoffs?

The 98 Jets were a damned good team, way better than the garbage of the last decade that squeaks it's way into a wildcard spot in a watered down NFL. 

It's not me that's sad, it's the pathetic Jets.

Carry on. Have fun watching the cringeworthy Geno Jets....

I guess you didn't like my profile.

giphy.gif

23 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

The Jets should offer Theo Epstein whatever he wants and make him our GM. I am not joking. The dude is a wizard.

A football team hiring a baseball guy to run things has worked wonders for Cleveland. Oh, wait...

4 minutes ago, Happy Clouds said:

A clip from the Walking Dead, a show based upon an apocalyptic future event, isn't exactly getting me longing for what's ahead for us ?

Hey, you know nothing will ever happen to Rick. In the end, they find the cure. And Glenn dies in the season premiere. Spoiler alert. Oh, sorry, was supposed to warn beforehand. 

8 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Hey, you know nothing will ever happen to Rick. In the end, they find the cure. And Glenn dies in the season premiere. Spoiler alert. Oh, sorry, was supposed to warn beforehand. 

Glenn dies. Wow. Can't  believe you did that.

YOU, deserve to be a Jets fan.

46 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

A football team hiring a baseball guy to run things has worked wonders for Cleveland. Oh, wait...

To be fair, Cleveland is in the early stages of cleaning up. They're just starting over. Let's see what they look like in a couple years

6 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

So using your formula we get to the SB again in 2040?

I plan on being around but don't want to wait that long.

7 hours ago, jetfan39 said:

i was 30 when they won and if they don't do it again soon i doubt i will get to see it.   but at least i got to see one. still remember telling the wife to take the kids to her mothers and don't come back until i call

+1 The Bowl win was 2 days before my 25th birthday that was one of my best presents ever..:)

9 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Mac is no Theo Epstein and Bowles is certainly no Joe Maddon. Though maybe the Jets can see if Jon Lester could be a Boomer Esiason for them. 

THIS!   I have stated emphatically for years. In fact, at the old JI it was my signature. "Players come and go, the only way to a championship is top management doing their job well".  

Great teams dont pass over Russel Wilson in the 3rd and take Geno or Hack in the 2nd and the debacles mount up.  Its not Geno's fault he sucks per se but our fault for anointing him.  

10 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Interestingly, the game is still a great game.  I sat in a bar last night with and talked baseball to a bunch of fans from all over the country.  Its had its problems but field of dreams, a league of their own, Major League, Bull Durham etc.  Great movies are made of this great game.  You may not like it but tens of millions of people still do.

7 hours ago, Happy Clouds said:

Glenn dies. Wow. Can't  believe you did that.

YOU, deserve to be a Jets fan.

Lol thanks. I enjoy the torture I guess. btw, I don't know who dies. My best bet is Glenn. He was supposed to be dead in like the 3rd season in the original comics.

12 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Exactly congrats to the Cubs. 

Keep the faith our day is coming too. 

I turn 55 this February, wondering if I will ever see a home playoff game, let alone a Jet SB win. I was 7 in 1969 and was not conscious of what happened at that time.

Archived