Starting Fitzpatrick

SR24

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Oh and another thing. Look on the bright side. At least they didn't give Fitz a multi-year deal like he wanted. Maybe management knows what their doing. Kinda.

That's because we were bidding against ourselves

If another team like the Rams showed interest we probably give Fitz a 3-4 year deal

Just look at all of these Qb injuries. Brian Hoyer was just put on IR. I think Fitz can turn it around for himself because he has shown he's better than that. But he has to play much smarter football and for a guy with moderate talent that was supposed to be his best attribute. Bowles and Gailey just cannot allow him to F up in the red zone any more. Take the 3 over a turnover any time. Evem if trailing before the last six minutes do not force the ball into coverage. 

13 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Petty and Hack are not ready. Give Petty a few more weeks of practice and if things don't go right (we're not officially out of the playoffs yet) then give him starts in Dec. btw according to something I read on ESPN.com the Jets were going to give Geno at least 4 starts. It's not impossible that Fitz can't play better than he did. Odds are he will. Maybe this was a wake up call for him in terms being careless and making stupid plays. 

No disrespect, but Fitz has had 12 years to "wake up".  Last time I looked, he was still sound asleep.  Maybe that explains why he leads the NFL in INTs.  He continues to sleep walk through NFL seasons.  Plus he is not the answer at QB for us on any level.

19 hours ago, SR24 said:

Makes not 1 bit of sense for this team and organization. He's on a 1 year deal the season is lost we're destined to have a high draft pick let these young qbs play so we can see what we have before we go blow another draft pick on a qb! Petty should start and Hack should get in after him against the Browns. Fitz will probably have a decent game because the browns are awful then will keep starting. end rant

Fans need to come to terms with something:

Until the team is mathematically eliminated from post-season contention, they are simply NOT going to start benching Vets and playing rookies/unknowns instead.

It isn't going to happen, no matter how may posts, no matter how many threads.

When the Jets are out of the race, we MIGHT see those rookies/unknowns.  Like Petty.

Till then, the team, coaches, players, etc. are going to try and win games, and play the players they believe will help them do that best.

So get used to it, Fitz will almost assuredly be starting for a number of weeks (same as Geno would have been had he not been hurt, despite being equally pointless for 2017 and beyond).

The last few weeks, we'll get our "take a look".  Presuming we continue to suck.

It is what it is, collective complaints will not change it. 

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

Oh and another thing. Look on the bright side. At least they didn't give Fitz a multi-year deal like he wanted. Maybe management knows what their doing. Kinda.

You have it backwards. The Jets wanted to give him a multi-year deal (3 yrs $24M with a chance for that to go up if they stuck with him).

It's Fitz that wanted it to be 1 year $12M, because no one - not even Maccagnan - was going to give him a multi-year deal at starter money.

Leave it to the Jets to get into a 4+ month contract stalemate with a lousy player and then cave.

Just look at all of these Qb injuries. Brian Hoyer was just put on IR. I think Fitz can turn it around for himself because he has shown he's better than that. But he has to play much smarter football and for a guy with moderate talent that was supposed to be his best attribute. Bowles and Gailey just cannot allow him to F up in the red zone any more. Take the 3 over a turnover any time. Evem if trailing before the last six minutes do not force the ball into coverage. 

Theres nothing to "turn around," Fitz has shown us he is good against lousy defenses, decent against average defenses and awful against Top defenses, end of story...

20 hours ago, SR24 said:

Makes not 1 bit of sense for this team and organization. He's on a 1 year deal the season is lost we're destined to have a high draft pick let these young qbs play so we can see what we have before we go blow another draft pick on a qb! Petty should start and Hack should get in after him against the Browns. Fitz will probably have a decent game because the browns are awful then will keep starting. end rant

It's easy for you, me, and everyone else to sit on a message board, social media, or just BSing with friends and say that the season is over for the Jets. But the Jets can't operate that way. You shouldn't want the Jets to operate that way either.

They aren't going to give up on the season at 2-5 with Cleveland, Miami, and the Rams coming up before the BYE week. The Jets are going to try and roll off some wins and be 5-5 going into the BYE with NE coming up after it. They can't give up on the season.

When they lose game 7 or 8 they will turn things over to Petty.

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

No disrespect, but Fitz has had 12 years to "wake up".  Last time I looked, he was still sound asleep.  Maybe that explains why he leads the NFL in INTs.  He continues to sleep walk through NFL seasons.  Plus he is not the answer at QB for us on any level.

Look he's starting on Sunday. If he plays well he continues. Petty and Hack according to the HC aren't ready to start yet. I'm not for giving up on the season right now on week 8. This has been a crazy year and who knows a 9 win season could get you into the playoffs. As much as you guys hate Fitz right now he still gives us our best chance to win. Too early to start thinking of next season. But give Petty more first team reps so when he does get starts he's ready to play. He's still has injury problems. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You have it backwards. The Jets wanted to give him a multi-year deal (3 yrs $24M with a chance for that to go up if they stuck with him).

It's Fitz that wanted it to be 1 year $12M, because no one - not even Maccagnan - was going to give him a multi-year deal at starter money.

Leave it to the Jets to get into a 4+ month contract stalemate with a lousy player and then cave.

Except Jimmy Sexton wanted more than that. He wanted 16-17m. So in essence, Macc won the negotiations.

Macc has made only one questionable mistake in my book and that is picking Hackenberg high

1 hour ago, Rexorcism said:

Theres nothing to "turn around," Fitz has shown us he is good against lousy defenses, decent against average defenses and awful against Top defenses, end of story...

Look I don't care about the opponent. Buffalo right now is a good team but they lost to the Fins last week. It changes every week. There are only a handful of teams who have been consistently good. One week a team blows out an opponent and the next week they get killed. So there is hope for this year although with a 2-5, a huge longshot but not impossible. And Fitz can turn it around he played much better than this last year and also with Houston in 2014. I can understand the hate he's getting this year but don't understand during 2015 when he was playing well. 

On 10/24/2016 at 1:56 PM, SR24 said:

It makes a lot of sense to start Fitzaptrick, he gives us the best chance to win.  Once we hit 7 or 8 loses than I would go to Petty (or Hackenberg), no reason to quit now. 

1 minute ago, JetsFanatic said:

It makes a lot of sense to start Fitzaptrick, he gives us the best chance to win.  Once we hit 7 or 8 loses than I would go to Petty (or Hackenberg), no reason to quit now. 

No it's a great idea for the team to try and win as many games as possible while failing to make the playoffs! to ensure we get the worst possible draftpick and get an even more limited look at our 2 young qbs on the roster. Cmon man we're 2-5 

2 minutes ago, SR24 said:

No it's a great idea for the team to try and win as many games as possible while failing to make the playoffs! to ensure we get the worst possible draftpick and get an even more limited look at our 2 young qbs on the roster. Cmon man we're 2-5 

Give me a break! If the Chiefs had your mentality they would have quit on the season last year!  While making the playoffs certainly is a long shot, it's not impossible. You have to play the QB that gives you the best chance to win.  Once we hit 7 loses I agree go young at QB, not yet!

Just now, JetsFanatic said:

Give me a break! If the Chiefs had your mentality they would have quit on the season last year!  While making the playoffs certainly is a long shot, it's not impossible. You have to play the QB that gives you the best chance to win.  Once we hit 7 loses I agree go young at QB, not yet!

The chiefs don't have a qb who's thrown 11picks through 5 games and had a defense that played out of its mind last year. But lets do what we did a few years ago win a few pointless mid season games and mid out Mariota. Petty and Hack can't play because they're "developing" total bs. 0-7 Browns is the perfect chance for a rookie qb to get some in game reps and build his confidence not let some jackass moron have a good game against a sh*t team and then earn another start when he throws a td or 2. Wasting chances on these young qbs

3 minutes ago, SR24 said:

The chiefs don't have a qb who's thrown 11picks through 5 games and had a defense that played out of its mind last year. But lets do what we did a few years ago win a few pointless mid season games and mid out Mariota. Petty and Hack can't play because they're "developing" total bs. 0-7 Browns is the perfect chance for a rookie qb to get some in game reps and build his confidence not let some jackass moron have a good game against a sh*t team and then earn another start when he throws a td or 2. Wasting chances on these young qbs

Sorry, still 10 games to go.  Take a look at the standings in the AFC, a bunch of 3-4 2nd place teams,  the Jets would be assholes to quit! 

2 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Sorry, still 10 games to go.  Take a look at the standings in the AFC, a bunch of 3-4 2nd place teams,  the Jets would be assholes to quit! 

Right Fitz will lead us to 11-5 we'll win the Superbowl and draft a franchise qb with the last pick cmon man. Think about the future this seasons a wash we havent even played NE yet this season is done. Its time to find out what are 2 young qbs got Petty's not getting any younger and this offense won't have as many weapons in the next year or two

Just now, SR24 said:

Right Fitz will lead us to 11-5 we'll win the Superbowl and draft a franchise qb with the last pick cmon man. Think about the future this seasons a wash we havent even played NE yet this season is done. Its time to find out what are 2 young qbs got Petty's not getting any younger and this offense won't have as many weapons in the next year or two

Hypothetically, if the Jets win their next three games (@Cleve, @ Miami, & LA), all winnable games, they go into the bye 5-5 with a 5-3 conference record & 2-0 division record. All I'm saying is it's too early to quit on the season.

4 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Hypothetically, if the Jets win their next three games (@Cleve, @ Miami, & LA), all winnable games, they go into the bye 5-5 with a 5-3 conference record & 2-0 division record. All I'm saying is it's too early to quit on the season.

actually, the jets are 15/16 in the AFC and the other teams get to win too

8 hours ago, Rexorcism said:

They are top defenses because they shut teams down...look at Palmer and Wilson in that 3-3 regulation shootout Sunday. The thing Fitz cannot do is force throws against these defenses. If the defense can keep the game relatively close, make the safe throws and take the field goals, if necessary. I've been seeing a lot of quarterbacks around the league struggling to move the football. It's the turnovers that are killers. Defense also cannot give up big plays and 6 or 7 play scoring drives either. Even without turnovers, s couple stalled drives and subsequent punts can lead to a couple scores for the opponent, and put the offense in a big hole. 

The thing Fitz cannot do is force throws against these defenses. If the defense can keep the game relatively close, make the safe throws and take the field goals, if necessary. I've been seeing a lot of quarterbacks around the league struggling to move the football. It's the turnovers that are killers.

Aaaaand Fitz did the opposite of that, he telegraphed his passes, forced balls into unopen receivers and couldn't even make the easy throws in those games against top defenses. That is my point, he can get us through this easy stretch of games coming up but in a big game against a strong defense he will drive the bus off the cliff...

14 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Okay, assuming the Jets win the next three (yes, a large assumption but...), I don't see 4 wins against AFC opponents.  Nor will they have played 8 games against AFC opponents.  They will have had Seattle, Arizona and LA as NFC opponents.  THat leaves only seven AFC opponents (Bengals, Bills, Steelers, Chiefs, Ravens, Browns, Fish).

And of course the three AFC losses they have already may involve tie breakers and playoff berths.

But yeah it's also true that a win against Miami, which is quite doable, will mean a 2-0 division record.  Normally that would be helpful, but I doubt it will mean much going forward.

On 10/25/2016 at 6:33 AM, Warfish said:

Fans need to come to terms with something:

Until the team is mathematically eliminated from post-season contention, they are simply NOT going to start benching Vets and playing rookies/unknowns instead.

It isn't going to happen, no matter how may posts, no matter how many threads.

When the Jets are out of the race, we MIGHT see those rookies/unknowns.  Like Petty.

Till then, the team, coaches, players, etc. are going to try and win games, and play the players they believe will help them do that best.

So get used to it, Fitz will almost assuredly be starting for a number of weeks (same as Geno would have been had he not been hurt, despite being equally pointless for 2017 and beyond).

The last few weeks, we'll get our "take a look".  Presuming we continue to suck.

It is what it is, collective complaints will not change it. 

I do not believe at this point that they think Fitz gives them the best chance to win. I believe they feel Petty needs more recovery and practice time. Big difference.

4 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Okay, assuming the Jets win the next three (yes, a large assumption but...), I don't see 4 wins against AFC opponents.  Nor will they have played 8 games against AFC opponents.  They will have had Seattle, Arizona and LA as NFC opponents.  THat leaves only seven AFC opponents (Bengals, Bills, Steelers, Chiefs, Ravens, Browns, Fish).

And of course the three AFC losses they have already may involve tie breakers and playoff berths.

But yeah it's also true that a win against Miami, which is quite doable, will mean a 2-0 division record.  Normally that would be helpful, but I doubt it will mean much going forward.

+1

You can't get to the Super Bowl just beating crappy teams. 

1 hour ago, August said:

Are there fans that still want to see Fitzpatrick start? I can understand the logic behind him starting but do people want to see him out there? if so why?

I dread watching him but as any true Jets fan would do I will support him and hope he wins us games its all we can do. 

Football season is supposed to be a great time not a miserable time. 

3 hours ago, August said:

Are there fans that still want to see Fitzpatrick start? I can understand the logic behind him starting but do people want to see him out there? if so why?

Because his groupies even know this is it for him.. Next yr he is not only done with the jets but the NFL most likely.. Unless he can find somewhere to be a #3. Either way highly unlikely he ever takes another NFL snap after the jets bench him once and for all..

Archived