Bowles Decision Gives Jets Fans Fitz

JetNation

Todd Bowles was also called out by Ryan Fitzpatrick following the team's 24-26 victory over the Ravens.

By Glenn Naughton

It’s about as bad as it’s been since the final days of Rex Ryan.

Today, Jets head coach Todd Bowles announced to the media during his post-practice press conference that once again, and despite being in the midst of a lost season at 3-7, that Ryan Fitzpatrick will be under center for Gang Green this Sunday against the New England Patriots.

This, despite being able to make a valid case for Fitzpatrick being the NFL’s worst starting quarterback in 2016 with the 33rd ranked passer rating of 67.6, a second-year quarterback who could gain valuable reps in Bryce Petty and the knowledge that Fitzpatrick is about as likely to come back next season as the Jets winning all of their remaining games by double-digits.

Despite his on-field struggles and pending free agency, Ryan Fitzpatrick will remain the Jets starting quarterback.

Despite his on-field struggles and pending free agency, Ryan Fitzpatrick will remain the Jets starting quarterback.

The announcement didn’t necessarily come as a surprise to all Jets fans, but they were largely united in their reactions.

A quick peek at the team’s official twitter page had responses so graphic and profane that we’ll leave it up to you to go have a look.

Our very own forums on JetNation.com were flooded with hundreds responses almost immediately, with seemingly zero support for the decision.

Even if you wanted to give Bowles the absolute maximum in terms of benefit of the doubt, you would have expected him to announce that Fitzpatrick was on a short leash, but he did the exact opposite.

Connor Hughes of NJ Advance Media presented Bowles with that exact question, to which he replied “He’s the starter”.  So if we take Bowles at his word, Fitzpatrick isn’t just back on the field to take on the Pats, but for the rest of the way as long as he stays healthy.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
6rpIb4yRQLc

Click here to read the full story...

Well, I initially said it's too early to be talking about firing Bowles, but unless this article is an example of the "fake news" trend we've been hearing about, the man is simply clueless. I'm going to sign the firebowles.com page. 

How the hell do you conclude that starting Fitz is the way to go? What possible reason is there to start him over Petty or even Hack? the "gives us the best chance to win" reason was invalidated a long time ago. I don't think he even gives us the best chance to win over Petty at this point.

I think this is the right decision. He will play the best QB until we are officially eliminated. One might say how can Fitz be the best QB...that is fair. But it is quite telling that Fitz is still considered the best. Petty or Hack or clearly not ready. Petty was a project QB who got hurt for the first six games this year. If he did not lose all of those practice reps, there may have been an answer to the question, "Who is the best QB?" There are still 6 games left. Petty has already played one game and I don't see the harm of giving him the last 3-4 rather than the last 6 games particularly if he is not ready. Not fair to the team or player.

This is pure BS.  Anyone who thinks that Fitz would not have started v.s the Rams had we been in the hunt is delusional.  Had he performed exactly the same but our W/L record was magically somehow much better, Fitz would have been out there.  

So, in effect Fitz has already been benched twice this season.  So Petty is the one being benched v.s. NE.  The rest is all coach speak.  OMG I hate Bowles.  

Everyone says Hack isn't ready. Ok, but what better is there to get him ready by starting him in a string of meaningless games (and yes, math aside, the rest are meaningless)??? We used a high draft pick on him and chose him over Prescott - there's no better time than now to play him. Even when he makes rookie mistakes, so what? What do we have to lose?

Where are the Fire Bowles towels?  I need some for Sunday.  Complete garbage as they need to see what they have at QB.  Throw Hackenberg out there to see if he has any clue, or is he just another 2nd round bust joining the likes of Devin Smith, Jace Amaro, Geno Smith, Stephen Hill, Vlad Ducasse and so on.

One thing I would like to see is for the Jets to Trade their # 2 pick for the active best player available via trade, at least you know what you are getting.

I have no big issue with Fitzpatrick staring this week, would prefer Petty but plain and simple the Jets are not out of it yet, you have to keep trying to win.

The one excuse for starting fitz that I find totally laughable is the 'vets will check out if you start petty'  Half of the vets already checked out, if they do check out futher how will we know?  If they have that low of character it just gives us a better reason to dump a bunch of them.

25 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

Everyone says Hack isn't ready. Ok, but what better is there to get him ready by starting him in a string of meaningless games (and yes, math aside, the rest are meaningless)??? We used a high draft pick on him and chose him over Prescott - there's no better time than now to play him. Even when he makes rookie mistakes, so what? What do we have to lose?

Well, look. You have to give Petty the shot first. Starting him in one game against the Rams is not a fair shot. He wasn't awful in that game. He wasn't great. He played just about as I would expect him to play in his first NFL start against a tough defense. Which is why it is that much more infuriating that Bowles is starting Fitz. The Jets have two QBs that they desperately need to find out about before next season. These guys need as many reps as possible. With six games left you give Petty the opportunity. If he struggles, you go to Hack and let him get some reps. Maybe you start Petty until the Jets are mathematically out of it (regardless of how he plays) and then you let Hack get some NFL reps.

It's so important for these guys to get actual NFL playing time, whether the game is meaningless or not and regardless of the result. Not to mention that it's unlikely the result of the game will be impacted that much if Fitz is benched. Lets we forget that Fitz has been AWFUL this year. Even in Bowles' own old school coaching philosophy, Fitz deserves to be benched b/c of his poor play. Very short-sighted of Bowles to do this. I'm surprised we're not seeing push back from Jets brass to get the young guys more playing time.

We are going to see a situation this offseason, going into the 2017, where the Jets have no starting QB and 2 young QBs that are completely unproven and have had little to no chance to get actual NFL reps. The Jets will themselves in a very difficult situation where they have to decide on drafting another QB or not, signing a vet or not (Hoyer?), making a big trade for a QB or not (Romo?), signing a young QB for big money or not (Glennon? Cousins?). And this decision, regarding the most important position on the team, is heavily dependent on what Hack and Petty are capable of. There is no way you can go into the offseason feeling any confidence in either Hack or Petty without seeing what they can do on the field.

I personally believe Hack is the more talented, more promising of the two and is a very fast learner. I believe he has already improved upon in a number of ways since the pre-season. I believe he COULD be ready to start next season and could easily beat out Petty for that opportunity. But we have to see some of that THIS season is actual NFL games. And in Hack' case particularly, I believe he is a 'game-time' QB. In other words, he plays a lot better once in an actual game where he can get settled in and take control of the offense. Not to mention the importance of developing chemistry and a young QB playing with first stringers- talented vets that can get open for him protect him in the pocket, give him a balanced run game, etc.       

59 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I have no big issue with Fitzpatrick staring this week, would prefer Petty but plain and simple the Jets are not out of it yet, you have to keep trying to win.

The one excuse for starting fitz that I find totally laughable is the 'vets will check out if you start petty'  Half of the vets already checked out, if they do check out futher how will we know?  If they have that low of character it just gives us a better reason to dump a bunch of them.

I disagree RE: starting Fitz. It DO have issue with it. Simply for the fact that he does not deserve to start. He has played awful football and deserves to be benched. Period. As a coach, its fine that you still want to win and you believe there is a slim chance you might make the playoffs and you can't throw in the towel until you are mathematically out of it. Those are all admirable traits of a head coach. But the reality is that Fitz HAS NOT given you the best chance to win, despite what you keep saying every week. There has to be a point where Fitz runs out of strikes. There has to be a point where you realize, at worst, Petty gives you an equal chance to win as Fitz. Where you realize that putting in Petty, making him more comfortable in the offense, giving him more practice reps with the first team and actually letting him air it out is the BEST chance for the Jets to win. 

As far as the vets 'checking out'. I completely agree with you. If you are a vet under contract (not playing for FA) and you decided to 'check out', well, you should be cut or traded because that is unacceptable, and unfair to your teammates, coach and organization that pays you. IMHO. But I think most, if not all, of the vets on the Jets don't think that way and have too much pride to fold. Except maybe Revis- who seems to have checked out before the season even got under way. LOL. I'd love to see Revis cut and Burris be a break out player for us next year on the outside- if not as #1, then as a #2, possibly behind a vet FA like Gilmore or Amukamara.    

I was just as mad as most when I heard the decision so start Fitz this week but let me give this FO a little bit more of the benefit of the doubt.  The Jets see a QB in Petty who simply isn't ready and to me, that's not the worst thing in the world.  You never want to throw away draft picks I get it, but a 4th rd project QB who never played in anything resembling a pro-style offense not being ready in year 2 is not the worst thing to happen.  Petty was taken on the premise that the physical ability is there he just has to learn how to play in the NFL some pick it up sooner than others but regardless it takes time.  Hack on the other hand was drafted much higher and while also a project, should be much further along based on the offense he ran at Penn State especially in his freshman year.  I appreciate Macc sticking to his strategy and drafting a QB every year till you find one but if we look at the situation honestly the Jets didn't pull a move like the Rams and trade their next 3 drafts for either guy, these are guys with tools who need training.  With that being said, one of the two needs to be ready to play next year and this FO can't be scared to throw them into the fire.  That's why I think we end up with a guy like Hoyer or Mccown and basically go into next season with an open QB competition.  It's not exciting and leaves a lot of questions but it's the reality.

44 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I disagree RE: starting Fitz. It DO have issue with it. Simply for the fact that he does not deserve to start. He has played awful football and deserves to be benched. Period. As a coach, its fine that you still want to win and you believe there is a slim chance you might make the playoffs and you can't throw in the towel until you are mathematically out of it. Those are all admirable traits of a head coach. But the reality is that Fitz HAS NOT given you the best chance to win, despite what you keep saying every week. There has to be a point where Fitz runs out of strikes. There has to be a point where you realize, at worst, Petty gives you an equal chance to win as Fitz. Where you realize that putting in Petty, making him more comfortable in the offense, giving him more practice reps with the first team and actually letting him air it out is the BEST chance for the Jets to win. 

As far as the vets 'checking out'. I completely agree with you. If you are a vet under contract (not playing for FA) and you decided to 'check out', well, you should be cut or traded because that is unacceptable, and unfair to your teammates, coach and organization that pays you. IMHO. But I think most, if not all, of the vets on the Jets don't think that way and have too much pride to fold. Except maybe Revis- who seems to have checked out before the season even got under way. LOL. I'd love to see Revis cut and Burris be a break out player for us next year on the outside- if not as #1, then as a #2, possibly behind a vet FA like Gilmore or Amukamara.    

Well the deserved to be benched bit doesn't wash because if we were going on that metric revis would have been benched 5 games ago.

Hey, if the Jets had actually managed their Qb situation at all well fitz would be benched right now.  Fitz got all the starters reps, geno got the back up reps and the team has no clue about the other two guys .  Heck even when fitz sat out vs the rams he had most of the starters reps that week. 

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

56-3 Sunday is how we will know. Sunday could be the most embarrassing game in our long history.

22 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

56-3 Sunday is how we will know. Sunday could be the most embarrassing game in our long history.

I think people are going to be in for a huge surprise and for once will truly be upset that the jets do so well.  Just a hunch, the jets win and then the real gnashing will begin as it will guarantee fitz several more games.

7 minutes ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

That would have been the result for sure if Petty had started. Fitz gives us some hope for a more competitive result

Why? How do you assume that from the way Fitz has played so far? So, Petty could not get in the endzone vs a tough Rams defense in his first NFL start. So what. More competitive result? Like what? 56-13? I mean, seriously. If this game turns into a blowout early Fitz will be benched anyway and Petty will do the mop-up work. It just makes no sense to me to start Fitz.   

What do you think it would cost the Jets to outbid the Redskins for Kirk Cousins?

We can basically cut the veterans on defense, extend Winters, draft Cam Robinson, and hopefully one of Quale, Ijalana and Shell can play the other tackle.  We can look for a Center while Johnson and Mangold figure it out (I would cut Mangold if he does not show up in July 25 pounds lighter-why do you think he is getting hurt now?).  

We can play the youngsters on defense, sign Gilmore or anoother CB and allow the WRs to develop.  Need a new OC.  

At least they would be fun to watch.

1 minute ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

Why?

Unlike you we are Jet fans not closet fans of Brady and the pats.

LOL good luck being the minority fan in your own stadium this Sunday many here have sold tickets to Patriots fans trying to send a message to Woody Johnson 

Why?  Because Todd Bowles is a MORON thats why. 

Enjoy the game dress warm. 

LOL good luck being the minority fan in your own stadium this Sunday many here have sold tickets to Patriots fans trying to send a message to Woody Johnson 
Why?  Because Todd Bowles is a MORON thats why. 
Enjoy the game dress warm. 

Not even close to right as usual.

The large majority at MetLife will be Jet fans rooting for the Jets. There will be the usual 10000 or so who, as you do, root for and love Tammy, Belicheat and the Scumbags from Foxboro.

And as for you, of all people, calling Todd Bowles a moron, that may be the biggest joke told in history.

Just now, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

Not even close to right as usual.

The large majority at MetLife will be Jet fans rooting for the Jets. There will be the usual 10000 or so who, as you do, root for and love Tammy, Belicheat and the Scumbags from Foxboro.

And as for you, of all people, calling Todd Bowles a moron, that may be the biggest joke told in history.

You obviously dont go to home games even without the recent mass exodus of fans who sold their season tickets the Patriots always bring a lot of fans. 

There will be way more than 10,000 Patriots fans 

Enjoy the game bring home the WIN 

You obviously dont go to home games even without the recent mass exodus of fans who sold their season tickets the Patriots always bring a lot of fans. 
There will be way more than 10,000 Patriots fans 
Enjoy the game bring home the WIN 

I give up. I go to every game and have for decades. There will be the usual number of Pat fans on Sunday as for every game with them here.

The fans there will be rooting and cheering for the Jets, their players and coaches etc

It will be nothing like your household where you will be booing the Jets and cheering for your Pats

14 minutes ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

I give up. I go to every game and have for decades. There will be the usual number of Pat fans on Sunday as for every game with them here.

The fans there will be rooting and cheering for the Jets, their players and coaches etc

It will be nothing like your household where you will be booing the Jets and cheering for your Pats

You better get your vision checked thats your eye site the Patriots fans come in masses you are in denial I understand you should have a good view them from your UD seats. 

My household is NY Jets always has been and always will be even with fans like you on our side we havent given up yet. 

Enjoy the game and dress warm.

You better get your vision checked thats your eye site the Patriots fans come in masses you are in denial I understand you should have a good view them from your UD seats. 
My household is NY Jets always has been and always will be even with fans like you on our side we havent given up yet. 
Enjoy the game and dress warm.

Ignore time for you

Have a good life

3 hours ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

Ignore time for you

Have a good life

Can't say I blame you, but you're going to miss out on some pretty great takes on how Geno is a better leader than Fitz but Mangold isn't a leader at all, and Drew Brees who currently leads the NFL is TD's "isn't that good anymore"....LOL

On November 22, 2016 at 11:07 AM, PepPep said:

Well, look. You have to give Petty the shot first. Starting him in one game against the Rams is not a fair shot. He wasn't awful in that game. He wasn't great. He played just about as I would expect him to play in his first NFL start against a tough defense. Which is why it is that much more infuriating that Bowles is starting Fitz. The Jets have two QBs that they desperately need to find out about before next season. These guys need as many reps as possible. With six games left you give Petty the opportunity. If he struggles, you go to Hack and let him get some reps. Maybe you start Petty until the Jets are mathematically out of it (regardless of how he plays) and then you let Hack get some NFL reps.

It's so important for these guys to get actual NFL playing time, whether the game is meaningless or not and regardless of the result. Not to mention that it's unlikely the result of the game will be impacted that much if Fitz is benched. Lets we forget that Fitz has been AWFUL this year. Even in Bowles' own old school coaching philosophy, Fitz deserves to be benched b/c of his poor play. Very short-sighted of Bowles to do this. I'm surprised we're not seeing push back from Jets brass to get the young guys more playing time.

We are going to see a situation this offseason, going into the 2017, where the Jets have no starting QB and 2 young QBs that are completely unproven and have had little to no chance to get actual NFL reps. The Jets will themselves in a very difficult situation where they have to decide on drafting another QB or not, signing a vet or not (Hoyer?), making a big trade for a QB or not (Romo?), signing a young QB for big money or not (Glennon? Cousins?). And this decision, regarding the most important position on the team, is heavily dependent on what Hack and Petty are capable of. There is no way you can go into the offseason feeling any confidence in either Hack or Petty without seeing what they can do on the field.

I personally believe Hack is the more talented, more promising of the two and is a very fast learner. I believe he has already improved upon in a number of ways since the pre-season. I believe he COULD be ready to start next season and could easily beat out Petty for that opportunity. But we have to see some of that THIS season is actual NFL games. And in Hack' case particularly, I believe he is a 'game-time' QB. In other words, he plays a lot better once in an actual game where he can get settled in and take control of the offense. Not to mention the importance of developing chemistry and a young QB playing with first stringers- talented vets that can get open for him protect him in the pocket, give him a balanced run game, etc.       

Agree for the most part, but I think we both agree that Fitzpatrick should not start. 1) playing him at this point is a total waste, since we're out of the playoff hunt and have two untested QBs that urgently need some NFL reps, and 2) I would argue that he sucks so badly that he truly does not give us the best chance to win, in fact, it's just the opposite based on his play this season (I actually have become desensitized to his red zone pics, as I've come to expect them), and 3) we spent a high draft pick on Hackenberg, and passed up on several good players to get him (many of which have made immediate impacts for their respective teams). If now isn't then tme to give him reps, then when??? Why the hell would we spend a second round pick on smebody who has to sit on the bench for three seasons before he's even ready to step onto the field (or a fourth round pick as well)??????!!!!

Archived