" Timing is right for Jets to take fresh approach on offense " ~ ~ ~

kelly

Timing is right for Jets to take fresh approach on offense

As expected, the New York Jets are in the market for a new offensive coordinator, as Chan Gailey announced his retirement Tuesday. A few thoughts:

1. Timing is good: The Jets will have their fifth coordinator in seven years, hardly the formula for long-term success. If you're going to change direction, however, this is a good time to do it because the offense is about to undergo an overhaul. The Jets could have at least seven or eight new starters in 2017 -- a massive turnover, even by NFL standards. They will have a new starting quarterback because neither Bryce Petty nor Christian Hackenberg is considered a viable option for the job. Unless Todd Bowles promotes from within, it'll be a new system and a bunch of new players -- a fresh start.

2. Tough for the QBs: The biggest downside to replacing Gailey is that Petty and Hackenberg, both still in the early stages of their NFL education, will have to go back to square one. It'll be a total reboot because quarterbacks coach Kevin Patullo, a Gailey protege, was fired, along with four other assistants. It'll be a new playbook, a new approach and a new philosophy. Hackenberg, in particular, could be affected by the change because this will be his third offensive system in three years, counting his days at Penn State. This could be a case of taking one step backward before taking two steps forward.

3. Adios, Fitz: Not that there was much doubt about Ryan Fitzpatrick's future, but Gailey's departure underscores the Jets' desire to move on from Fitzpatrick, a free agent. He and Gailey were joined at the hip; he was a nice fit in Gailey's spread offense even though the results didn't show it this season. On Monday, Fitzpatrick spoke glowingly of Gailey as a coach and as a person.

4. Bad year: Gailey was a good coach, but he failed with largely the same cast of characters as last season, the team's best offensive year since 1998. Forget about the last few weeks; he was playing with a preseason lineup. No, the die was cast in September and October, when Fitzpatrick was an interception machine and the team began 1-5. Gailey stuck with his system and didn't adjust well. He was too pass-happy. He failed to maximize Matt Forte's versatility. He under-utilized Bilal Powell until Forte was injured. He never found a way to incorporate the tight ends into the passing game. He rarely used the no-huddle as a change of pace. The red-zone efficiency was terrible. The two-minute offense was ineffective. You get the picture.

5. Pushed out? Gailey said in a statement that he informed Bowles before the season he was planning to retire. Until last week, when he made cryptic comments about his future, it sounded as if he wanted to be back. On Dec. 8, Gailey was asked if the poor season had affected his desire to coach with the Jets. His response: "No, it hasn’t. You’re a competitor. I don’t care who you are, you wouldn’t be in this business, or stay in this business if you weren’t. People are competitors. I am." Asked that day about returning in 2017, he said, "I’m looking forward to everything that we can do to make this thing the way it needs to be." A month later, he's out, headed home to Georgia to play golf.

>       http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/66165/timing-is-right-for-jets-to-take-fresh-approach-on-offense

Here's what Jets' Eric Decker wants from new offensive coordinator's scheme

Jets host Seahawks in NFL week 4
Eric Decker was out for almost all of 2016. (Andrew Mills | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)
Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.comBy Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on January 04, 2017 at 7:00 AM, updated January 04, 2017 at 7:12 AM

Another year, another offensive coordinator for the Jets

The 2017 season will mark the Jets' fifth coordinator in seven seasons, now that Chan Gailey has retired after spending two seasons in that job.

His predecessors: Brian Schottenheimer (2006-11), Tony Sparano (2012), and Marty Mornhinweg (2013-14). 

The Jets' new coordinator will try to repair the issues of 2016, and get back to the success of 2015. And he could have plenty of new faces.

These initial 2016 starters could (or will) be gone: wide receiver Brandon Marshall, quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, left tackle Ryan Clady, right tackle Breno Giacomini, center Nick Mangold, right guard Brian Winters, and tight end Kellen Davis. 

Receiver Eric Decker will return, and he spoke Tuesday about what he'd like to see from the Jets' new offensive coordinator.

Here's what Decker said during a regular appearance on ESPN New York radio: 

"When we had success in 2015, it was running the football. That was kind of what we did to get guys in the box. It opened the passing game for us and some play-action stuff that worked for us. So I guess your prototypical pro-style [offense] where it's run first, play-action plays off that.

"I thought we were the best when we were just kind of running the football and throwing it off the running game, to be honest. When we started scheming stuff, that's when we probably didn't have the most success. The prototypical pro offense is going to be what we need, especially if we're going to rely on our defense." 

What do you think of Decker's comments, as he recovers from shoulder and hip surgeries after playing in just three games last year? Sound off in the comments. 

8 Jets cuts, to create $54 million in cap space

8 Jets cuts, to create $54 million in cap space

A rundown here.

And here is some statistical context to just how much the Jets' offense dropped off in 2016, after thriving in Gailey's first season: 

* DVOA: 14th in 2015, 31st in 2016 

* Yards: 10th in 2015 (5,925), 26th in 2016 (5,268)

* Yards per pass attempt: 24th in 2015 (6.9), 25th in 2016 (6.6)

* Yards per rush: 12th in 2015 (4.2), 12th in 2016 (4.3)

* Red-zone percentage: 3rd in 2015 (66), 32nd in 2016 (35.2) 

* Sack percentage allowed: 2nd in 2015 (3.5), 20th in 2016 (6.0)

* Total sacks allowed: 2nd in 2015 (22), 16th in 2016 (35)

* Turnovers lost: 17th in 2015 (24), 31st in 2016 (34)

> http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/01/heres_what_eric_decker_wants_from_jets_new_offensi.html#incart_river_index

It's sounds like it's almost on Mac for not securing a thumper type RB.  Gailey tried using Forte in that role and it failed.  Was it bad luck that Robinson's leg failed or was it wishful thinking on Mac's part that Robinson would hold up all/most of the season and be the thumper?  

15 minutes ago, Happy Clouds said:

Fresh approach on defense wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I'm not sure how 'fresh' it will be, but I think of TB hands the reins over to Rodgers more you'll at least seem a tiny bit more consistency and organization... In my mind a lot of issues on defense stemmed from TB trying to get versatility out of players... It felt like he had guys running around playing out of their natural position. Not only did that not work on the field, I think it caused some of the disgruntled feelings we saw come to light... So I'm hopeful that Rodgers keeps things more organized and lets those guys play where they're best suited.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Who the **** is Eric Decker and why has he anointed himself the spokesman for the Jets?

STFU already.  Nobody gives a **** what you want and what you think. 

I value his opinion (still hate his off season Fitz support though)

Decker is right.

Remember back in September when people were wondering if Forte could handle the load. They ran him alot. I'll never understand why he nor Powell were so underutilized catching balls out of backfield.

If you want to help a young QB get him some kind of running game so it doesn't have to be all on him. A little help is a good thing.

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Who the **** is Eric Decker and why has he anointed himself the spokesman for the Jets?

STFU already.  Nobody gives a **** what you want and what you think. 

that's the problem - there are no jets on offensive side of the ball who are clear carry-overs to the next regime.  at least on defense you have williams, lee, wilk, jenkins, at a minimum - guys who were leaders for major college programs.  on offense you're looking at a near-complete makeover, and with no first round picks on offense in nearly a decade and 2nd rounders failing time and time again, the offense has a leadership void once mangold/decker/marshall/forte are gone.

i'll say it again, i really wouldn't mind focusing the offseason on shoring up the o-line and then taking fournette.  then you'll have the beginning of a foundation to develop a qb.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

that's the problem - there are no jets on offensive side of the ball who are clear carry-overs to the next regime.  at least on defense you have williams, lee, wilk, jenkins, at a minimum - guys who were leaders for major college programs.  on offense you're looking at a near-complete makeover, and with no first round picks on offense in nearly a decade and 2nd rounders failing time and time again, the offense has a leadership void once mangold/decker/marshall/forte are gone.

i'll say it again, i really wouldn't mind focusing the offseason on shoring up the o-line and then taking fournette.  then you'll have the beginning of a foundation to develop a qb.

Well, I disagree to an extent.  I think Decker and Marshall with the right QB can still be deadly for another season or 2 (thats if Marshall learns how to catch the ball again).  They're 2 years removed from one of the most prolific WR duo's in the history of the NFL and both tend to take care of the bodies very well.  Throw in the emergence of Enunwa and Anderson and if ASJ gets his head on right, the offense actually could have quite a lot of options. Powell is just an all around baller.  Pair him with a young stud and you have something.  

But you're right, I'd definitely start building the OL because that's where it all starts.

I just think Decker needs to STFU.  Between this sh*t and the Fitz sh*t and the Petty comments.  STFU.  Bowles needs to step in and put a ******* gag order on this team. 

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Well, I disagree to an extent.  I think Decker and Marshall with the right QB can still be deadly for another season or 2 (thats if Marshall learns how to catch the ball again).  They're 2 years removed from one of the most prolific WR duo's in the history of the NFL and both tend to take care of the bodies very well.  Throw in the emergence of Enunwa and Anderson and if ASJ gets his head on right, the offense actually could have quite a lot of options. Powell is just an all around baller.  Pair him with a young stud and you have something.  

But you're right, I'd definitely start building the OL because that's where it all starts.

I just think Decker needs to STFU.  Between this sh*t and the Fitz sh*t and the Petty comments.  STFU.  Bowles needs to step in and put a ******* gag order on this team. 

if ASJ is even an average TE, if you fix the LT position (assuming shell can handle RT and they keep winters), if you add fournette you have 2 rbs who can beat you, and that would really open up the passing game even w/o decker.  i think the jets should follow the cowboys blueprint as they continue to try to develop qbs.  

again, with fitz leaving, and the fates of mangold/marshall/forte/decker in limbo the OC gone, the offense has zero identity.  heck, the most talked about player on the jets offense is hackenberg and he's never played a snap.  when do we get lucky on that side of the ball, when?

45 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

It's sounds like it's almost on Mac for not securing a thumper type RB.  Gailey tried using Forte in that role and it failed.  Was it bad luck that Robinson's leg failed or was it wishful thinking on Mac's part that Robinson would hold up all/most of the season and be the thumper?  

It is Gailey's fault for not utilizing Powell

Why is it that all this guy does is produce, yet he never gets the chance to?

32 minutes ago, JiF said:

These guys are grown men getting paid a lot of money.  It is not a coaches job to babysit, motivate, or make them model citizens.

What he and Mac need to do is sit down and set a standard in the clubhouse by CUTTING some of these guys that won't shut-up.  Think this stuff happens in England?  BB would have cut traded Richardson, Mo, Revis, Decker, Fitz, and possibly Marshall by now.  Come to think of it.....

I am so tired of hearing how Bill Belichick would have responded.  Lawrence Taylor was smoking crack on the way to practice for the entire time Little Bill was DC.  They got LT into rehab and he left to go golfing.  Then LT got arrested for pulling over on the GSP to take a nap while driving home drunk one night.  Or was he on the way to another bar or the whorehouse?  I can't remember.  Little Bill's career was made on the back of that crackhead.  Tom Brady deflates balls, lies about it, smashes his phone, fights with players and coaches on the sideline, but hey who is Eric Decker to say he'd like to run some play action?

Little Bill does what it takes to win.  He can get away with more because he has succeeded long enough to have credibility.  If he or Parcells would have stood up to LT in the 80's it would have cost them millions and a hell of a lot of playoff wins.  They can put a muzzle on the team because they are successful, they aren't successful because they put a muzzle on the team. 

This is why you don't want guys like Marshall on the team, no matter how good they are.  No matter what happens he is going to be spouting off on Showtime or whatever sh*t show he is on and that is even if he is on his best behavior.

What type of offense would you like to see the Jets run? I'm not sure how much we can really tell the difference to be honest. A lot of NFL offenses look the same even if they call it something different and I think they all borrow from each other too.

I think technically Gailey ran a spread offense, although it was pretty modified based on what he had to work with as the seasons went on here...

I'm not sure what makes the most sense for the Jets to use the most going forward...

West coast, Vertical, Run-and-Shoot, Power Running, spread again? 

If you base it on the team the Jets have right now, West Coast probably makes the most sense... Short passes and hard running to try and open up deep passes later. Hm.

38 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am so tired of hearing how Bill Belichick would have responded.  Lawrence Taylor was smoking crack on the way to practice for the entire time Little Bill was DC.  They got LT into rehab and he left to go golfing.  Then LT got arrested for pulling over on the GSP to take a nap while driving home drunk one night.  Or was he on the way to another bar or the whorehouse?  I can't remember.  Little Bill's career was made on the back of that crackhead.  Tom Brady deflates balls, lies about it, smashes his phone, fights with players and coaches on the sideline, but hey who is Eric Decker to say he'd like to run some play action?

Little Bill does what it takes to win.  He can get away with more because he has succeeded long enough to have credibility.  If he or Parcells would have stood up to LT in the 80's it would have cost them millions and a hell of a lot of playoff wins.  They can put a muzzle on the team because they are successful, they aren't successful because they put a muzzle on the team. 

This is why you don't want guys like Marshall on the team, no matter how good they are.  No matter what happens he is going to be spouting off on Showtime or whatever sh*t show he is on and that is even if he is on his best behavior.

and how would he have handled it now?  MAYBE he learned something.

We all hate the Pats, and wish we had their success.  One of the things they do well, other than picking obscure 6th round QB's, is shutting sh*t down.  And they shut it down by just getting rid of you as a player.  Michael Floyd has been GREAT so far for them.  Think he will be a Pat though if he gets another DUI?

Just now, CanadaSteve said:

and how would he have handled it now?  MAYBE he learned something.

We all hate the Pats, and wish we had their success.  One of the things they do well, other than picking obscure 6th round QB's, is shutting sh*t down.

That's how Mangini operated.  What was his career record as coach?  You can know everything, but if you don't have players that can execute and will buy in, you will lose and lose regularly.  Cutting grown millionaires and eating $3M because of comments about a non-existent future offense is not generally the way to win over a lockerroom.  Little Bill didn't learn he'd like to have radio silence, he knew it.  He just became respected enough to have it work.  

I'd like to see an offense that doesn't go 5 wide in the redzone with empty backfield on 3rd & 3! I want an offense that has the THREAT of a running game ALWAYS!

The Jets are a massive rebuild, at least 2 more years. If Fournette or Cook are there & they are BPA draft them & get the young Hackster slinging it behind a great running game. F*ck Forte, he should be the 3rd back just to give a breather to Powell & Cook/Fournette.

Forte is gone after 2017 anyway so we're gonna need a stud back.

1 hour ago, shawn306 said:

Decker is right.

Remember back in September when people were wondering if Forte could handle the load. They ran him alot. I'll never understand why he nor Powell were so underutilized catching balls out of backfield.

If you want to help a young QB get him some kind of running game so it doesn't have to be all on him. A little help is a good thing.

agreed !.. i hopin' the new OC will be able to make some " changes "    B)

Bowles denies report that Hackenberg is awful in practice

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ - JANUARY 01:  Christian Hackenberg #5 of the New York Jets watches from the sidelines during the second half of their game against the Buffalo Bills at MetLife Stadium on January 1, 2017 in East Rutherford, New Jersey. (Photo by Ed Mulholland/Getty Images)Getty Images

The Jets spent a second-round draft pick on quarterback Christian Hackenberg and then never put him on the field all season, even as they struggled with injuries and poor play from their other quarterbacks. That led to questions about how bad Hackenberg must look in practice, not to get a chance to show what he can do in a game.

Compounding those questions was a Sunday report from ESPN, attributed to an unnamed Jets coach, that Hackenberg is so inaccurate in practice that he “couldn’t hit the ocean.”

Jets head coach Todd Bowles, however, said it isn’t true that Hackenberg is flailing in practice.

Not at all,” Bowles said. “There’s nothing wrong with Christian. He just needs to play.”

Hackenberg shrugged off the report.

“I really don’t have any opinion on it,” Hackenberg said. “A coach has never come up and said anything to me directly. So, until he does that, I’m really not too concerned about it.”

All we know for sure is that the Jets never thought it was in their interests to put Hackenberg on the field, even in a season in which the quarterback situation couldn’t have gotten much worse. No matter what Bowles says publicly, that’s not a good sign.

>     http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/03/bowles-denies-report-that-hackenberg-is-awful-in-practice/

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Fresh approach?  The OC and the QB they bring in better have same qualities that fitz and gailey had as far as getting the ball out because we've seen what happens when you hold the ball too long with this oline.

I was hoping the Oline is retooled and the new guys would give the Qb some more time back there. If they don't address that in the off season than it won't matter who the Oc and Qb combo are.

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

It is Gailey's fault for not utilizing Powell

Why is it that all this guy does is produce, yet he never gets the chance to?

i'm not sure if simply using powell more would have done much.  to be fair powell has gotten nicked up in past seasons. i do think powell did need to be used more and so did asj or bostick.  gailey didn't really adapt well from last season.  what worked last season did not work this season because teams adjusted.  they basically challenged fitz to go deep and that was something he had little success doing.  once the oline fell apart it was lights out.  but it's on gailey to use plays that take advantage of the players he's got.  fitz was pretty effective using play action or roll outs.  enunwa and anderson were pretty effective the couple of times they ran reverses.

With Petty and Hack being the only 2 QB's under contract, I think it's important that whoever they bring in to compete with them, have similar skill sets. They both have strong arms, and have the ability to stretch defenses. I'd like to see a much more vertical attack next year, especially since Anderson has shown he has the speed to get deep.

If we are truly expecting to see growth from our young QB's, we need to put them in the best situation to succeed. Cater the offense to their strengths. I don't think it would be in the best interest of the Jets, to bring in the veteran game manager type, that "dinks and dunks" the short balls.                                                                                                                                                                        The offense needs to have a consistent approach, no matter who ends up starting. 

Jets hardly a destination spot for prospective coordinators

Without an established quarterback under contract and with Todd Bowles' future uncertain, it will be tough for the Jets to pull in a top coordinator. AP Photo/Seth Wenig

Aside from money, the ideal offensive-coordinator job must include two things: Security and a quarterback.

The New York Jets can't offer either one.

Todd Bowles probably is another bad season away from getting a pink slip, so it'll be tough to convince a proven coordinator to climb on board, knowing the Jets could decide to blow it up in a year. They also don't have a proven quarterback on the roster, as both Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg -- the only two under contract for 2017 -- still fall under the "developmental" category.

So, no, it's not a desirable gig from those standpoints. The positives? A young, hungry coach will have the chance to rebuild a unit under a head coach who won't meddle. Some names that figure to be on Bowles' radar:

John DeFilippo, Eagles' quarterbacks coach: The Jets have interest in DeFilippo, according to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Caplan. He has worked with Carson Wentz, Derek Carr and, yes, Johnny Manziel, so he's had experience with all types of quarterbacks. He was the Browns' coordinator in 2015 and actually did a respectable job under tough circumstances. Quarterback alert: His starter was Josh McCown, who could shake free in March. He was the Jets' assistant quarterbacks coach under Rex Ryan in 2009.

Mike McCoy, former Chargers coach: He was fired after compiling a 27-37 record, but he was a successful coordinator with the Broncos. In Denver, he made the playoffs with Tim Tebow and Peyton Manning, which pretty much covers both ends of the quarterbacking spectrum. He'll probably be in demand, so this would be a tough get for the Jets.

Norv Turner, former Vikings coordinator: The former longtime head coach, who stunned everyone by re-signing from the Vikings in November, is said to be interested in getting back into the game -- in the right situation. He did a nice job of developing Teddy Bridgewater. Turner believes in a strong running game and play-action, which appeal to Bowles. The Rams could be a landing spot.

Karl Dorrell, Jets wide receivers coach: He'd be the top in-house candidate. Dorrell is respected for the work he did with the Jets' young receivers, especially Robby Anderson. He was a playcaller in college, but never on the NFL level.

Anthony Lynn, Bills interim coach: If he doesn't land one of the head-coaching jobs, Lynn would be a solid choice. He has play-calling experience, he believes in a strong running game and he knows Bowles. They worked together with the Cowboys. Lynn was the Jets' running backs coach under Ryan.

Chip Kelly, former 49ers coach: Only kidding. A Bowles-Kelly marriage would be a philosophical disaster. An up-tempo offense wouldn't work with a defensive-minded head coach.

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/66181/jets-hardly-a-destination-spot-for-prospective-coordinators

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

i'm not sure if simply using powell more would have done much.  to be fair powell has gotten nicked up in past seasons. i do think powell did need to be used more and so did asj or bostick.  gailey didn't really adapt well from last season.  what worked last season did not work this season because teams adjusted.  they basically challenged fitz to go deep and that was something he had little success doing.  once the oline fell apart it was lights out.  but it's on gailey to use plays that take advantage of the players he's got.  fitz was pretty effective using play action or roll outs.  enunwa and anderson were pretty effective the couple of times they ran reverses.

Thank you!!!!

Folks can't see that Gailey was trying to run plays that would be suitable for his QB??

cimini_rich_m.jpg&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

Jets GM Mike Maccagnan addressed his two young quarterbacks. On Bryce Petty: "I'm not going to speculate on what his ceiling may be. I think Bryce has a lot of potential. ... He has the physical ability to potentially develop into a starter. It's really up to him." On Christian Hackenberg: "We like Christian as a prospect. He's a young player; he's only 21 years old. He has made progress and he does have potential that we're focused on trying to make him develop."

Archived