Jets doing their best to scare away Chan Gailey replacements

Ken Schroy

Jets doing their best to scare away Chan Gailey replacements  By Brian Costello

The Jets’ search for a new offensive coordinator has been a lot like their 2016 offense so far — not making much noise. There has been a lack of action surrounding the team’s quest to find a replacement for the retired Chan Gailey. The only known candidate is Broncos running backs coach Eric Studesville, whom the Jets plan on interviewing soon, according to a source. The view in league circles is the Jets are going to have a tough time convincing any candidate with options to take the job because of how they compare with other teams looking for an offensive coordinator. There have been no reports or any indication that any candidates have turned down an interview request from the Jets, but the view around the league is their job is unattractive for a few reasons. The first reason is Todd Bowles’ job security. He has two years remaining on his contract, but virtually no head coaches coach the final year of their contract without an extension. That means next year is decision time for owner Woody Johnson — either extend Bowles or fire him. The feeling around the league is the Jets won’t be able to turn things around in one season, meaning Bowles is likely a goner. Then, there is the team’s quarterback situation. Simply put, they don’t have one. Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty are the only quarterbacks the Jets have under contract. It seems unlikely either will be the starter when the 2017 season begins, meaning the Jets either have to sign, trade for or draft the starting quarterback. There are just 32 offensive coordinator jobs, so the Jets will find someone, but any candidate with options is not looking at the Jets as one of his top destinations. Someone like Mike McCoy, who is expected to take the OC job with the Broncos, probably did not have the Jets’ job at the top of his list. That means Bowles is likely going to hire someone with limited coordinator experience. Studesville fits that mould. He was the running-game coordinator for the Bills in 2008-09. He also spent four games as the Broncos interim head coach after Josh McDaniels was fired in 2010. Studesville, 49, has been with the Broncos since 2010 and worked under three different head coaches — McDaniels, John Fox and Gary Kubiak. He also has worked for the Giants and Bears. Studesville is the only candidate for the job that has been reported. The Eagles denied the Jets permission to interview quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo for the job last week. DeFilippo, who was offensive coordinator with the Browns in 2015, was thought to be Bowles’ first choice. The Jets are competing for coaches with the six teams who have hired new coaches and the Redskins, who lost offensive coordinator Sean McVay on Thursday when he became the head coach of the Rams.

The Jets have the “Help Wanted” ad out there, but the pool of candidates may be a shallow one.

5 minutes ago, Ken Shroy said:

Jets doing their best to scare away Chan Gailey replacements  By Brian Costello

The Jets’ search for a new offensive coordinator has been a lot like their 2016 offense so far — not making much noise. There has been a lack of action surrounding the team’s quest to find a replacement for the retired Chan Gailey. The only known candidate is Broncos running backs coach Eric Studesville, whom the Jets plan on interviewing soon, according to a source. The view in league circles is the Jets are going to have a tough time convincing any candidate with options to take the job because of how they compare with other teams looking for an offensive coordinator. There have been no reports or any indication that any candidates have turned down an interview request from the Jets, but the view around the league is their job is unattractive for a few reasons. The first reason is Todd Bowles’ job security. He has two years remaining on his contract, but virtually no head coaches coach the final year of their contract without an extension. That means next year is decision time for owner Woody Johnson — either extend Bowles or fire him. The feeling around the league is the Jets won’t be able to turn things around in one season, meaning Bowles is likely a goner. Then, there is the team’s quarterback situation. Simply put, they don’t have one. Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty are the only quarterbacks the Jets have under contract. It seems unlikely either will be the starter when the 2017 season begins, meaning the Jets either have to sign, trade for or draft the starting quarterback. There are just 32 offensive coordinator jobs, so the Jets will find someone, but any candidate with options is not looking at the Jets as one of his top destinations. Someone like Mike McCoy, who is expected to take the OC job with the Broncos, probably did not have the Jets’ job at the top of his list. That means Bowles is likely going to hire someone with limited coordinator experience. Studesville fits that mould. He was the running-game coordinator for the Bills in 2008-09. He also spent four games as the Broncos interim head coach after Josh McDaniels was fired in 2010. Studesville, 49, has been with the Broncos since 2010 and worked under three different head coaches — McDaniels, John Fox and Gary Kubiak. He also has worked for the Giants and Bears. Studesville is the only candidate for the job that has been reported. The Eagles denied the Jets permission to interview quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo for the job last week. DeFilippo, who was offensive coordinator with the Browns in 2015, was thought to be Bowles’ first choice. The Jets are competing for coaches with the six teams who have hired new coaches and the Redskins, who lost offensive coordinator Sean McVay on Thursday when he became the head coach of the Rams.

The Jets have the “Help Wanted” ad out there, but the pool of candidates may be a shallow one.

Costello and Manish are laying it on crazy thick lately. 

3 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

They're right. Any OC candidate with options is not coming here. It's a dead end job. No QB, dead man walking at HC. It's a 1 year job no doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

It would have either been no HC with options or no OC with options, I think. 

Someone said it earlier. Damned if you do, Damned if you don't

What a disgrace .. I mean who does this? This (dis)organization is undoubtedly the laughing stock of all sports, even worse than the Knicks...

Unless they are waiting for Houston's season to end tomorrow and for OB to be fired....I give Woody too much credit for brains, but maybe, just maybe he is waiting for that to get rid of Bowltite and bring OB in???

Wishful thinking on my part I think....

Not knocking the the Jets however..

As I said in another thread, it is doubly difficult in this impatient market to get an OC in here, when you are replacing a guy In Gailey who two short years ago was leading the offense to record breaking and setting achievements, who was then undermined the next year by poor QB play.

Who are you going to hire who is going to do better than Chan did in 2015 and may even do worse than 2016 with Petty or Hack under center?  

That is the definition of a tough job in the NFL...

Also IMO before you let Chan "retire" you should have someone lined up to take his place.

58 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

When have you seen a head coach win 10 games his first year and then get fired after his second?

Rich Kotite went 10-6, 11-5, 8-8, and then 7-9 and got fired. Are you saying the Eagle's didn't give him long enough? Bowles would kill to have that stat line.

Use your eyes. Tell me Bowles is doing a good job as Coach.

He went 10-6 not on his coaching acumen, but because Fitz stumbled into a career year playing a soft schedule. That's not coaching, that's happenstance.

Wake up.

But hey, if we get a shot at Sam Darnold with this sh*t staff Chubby Herm is putting together, I'm all for it.

57 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

It would have either been no HC with options or no OC with options, I think. 

Someone said it earlier. Damned if you do, Damned if you don't

Actually Buffalo fired their HC after 2 years after their other coach quit and they didn't have any trouble getting candidates to interview.

Just now, Jet_Engine1 said:

Rich Kotite went 10-6, 11-5, 8-8, and then 7-9 and got fired. Are you saying the Eagle's didn't give him long enough? Bowles would kill to have that stat line.

Use your eyes. Tell me Bowles is doing a good job as Coach.

He went 10-6 not on his coaching acumen, but because Fitz stumbled into a career year playing a soft schedule. That's not coaching, that's happenstance.

The Eagles did give him long enough. It is fair to point out that that 7-9 season was the worst collapse in NFL history. I think they started 7-1.

It doesn't matter how the ten wins were gained. The bottom line is that coaches are judged by their record above all else.

Good first year, bad second year.

2 minutes ago, Joejet said:

Actually Buffalo fired their HC after 2 years after their other coach quit and they didn't have any trouble getting candidates to interview.

Yes but Buffalo has a QB. Plus they didn't fire their GM after two years two years prior like Woody did with Idzik. The reputation of a quick trigger would be tough to beat

18 minutes ago, Joejet said:

yeah, talk about a bad situation.  are they still moving to toronto?

as for the jets, the solution is simple, just dangle a 2 year contract in front of any oc.  that will at least give him as much time as bowles has on his contract.  and if bowles gets extended so does the oc.

53 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Costello and Manish are laying it on crazy thick lately. 

The article title is idiotic because it implies that the Jets are actively attempting to make it difficult to hire a new HC.  That's completely different than what the article discusses that the Jets are in a tough state with the QB situation and Bowles job status.  There's nothing the Jets can do to eliminate those issues prior to hiring the HC.

43 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The Eagles did give him long enough. It is fair to point out that that 7-9 season was the worst collapse in NFL history. I think they started 7-1.

It doesn't matter how the ten wins were gained. The bottom line is that coaches are judged by their record above all else.

Good first year, bad second year.

If you believe that, then you are stupid. I'm sorry, but thats the only word for it. Herman Edwards rode a Parcells built core for 6 years. LOL You think Herman was a good HC?

Barry Switzer has a SB ring. He may be among the worst Head Coaches the NFL has ever seen. The Bowles led Jets are undisciplined. Unaccountable. The Locker Room is completely divided. He stands there with a confused look on his face like the damn RCA dog, wondering whats happening. The fact that Kacy ROgers was retained, but most of the assistants were canned tells me everything I need to know about the man. Hes the definition of the Peter Principle. He was hired to the point of his own incompetence.

I would have fired him mid season, when it was apparent that the team had completely quit on the man, and players were just looking out for themselves. Pathetic performance. 

6 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

If you believe that, then you are stupid. I'm sorry, but thats the only word for it. Herman Edwards rode a Parcells built core for 6 years.

You use Parcells who also said "You are what your record says you are."

I did not say that Bowles is a great coach. What I am saying is that his success the first year allows him a mulligan. He had his mulligan and now he is on the chopping block for this year.

If you are going to blame him for losses, then it is only fair to credit him for wins.

You mention Herman Edwards. He was allowed some mulligans and then he was fired. I never said Herman Edwards was a great HC. He had some great year and he was let go after some bad years

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Please do not give Parcells credit for building the Jets post 2000.  Do not make me put the effort into that ******* post.  Just do a search.  **** him and his overspending. 

Stop it. We had the same core of players from 1997-2005. But hey, for the time between Parcells getting hired and the Buttfumble, The Jets managed to not be a laughingstock.... high times indeed 

33 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Stop it. We had the same core of players from 1997-2005. But hey, for the time between Parcells getting hired and the Buttfumble, The Jets managed to not be a laughingstock.... high times indeed 

This franchise is headed to another very dark period.  10-15 more years with no playoffs

5 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

What a disgrace .. I mean who does this? This (dis)organization is undoubtedly the laughing stock of all sports, even worse than the Knicks...

Unless they are waiting for Houston's season to end tomorrow and for OB to be fired....I give Woody too much credit for brains, but maybe, just maybe he is waiting for that to get rid of Bowltite and bring OB in???

Wishful thinking on my part I think....

No matter what these clowns right, they know there is a contingent that will suck it up totally.

Congrats

2 hours ago, thadude said:

So Craptello, the same clown Giants fan who thinks Bowles should get another shot, is crapping on him and saying he's the reason we can't get an OC

And after Woody told all that there isnt a mandate to make the playoffs or else next season, its now being reported ny some that Bowles needs to win to keep his job.

Archived