Cimini expects Jets to target Glennon

AFJF

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, C Mart said:

Adam Caplan (@caplannfl)

1/25/17, 6:19 PM

QB Aaron Murray worked out for the #Jets.

This could be a significant detail because this guy was drafted by the Chiefs and worked under Nagy and Andy Reid >  This kid throws a real nice spiral, but is kind of short .

9 hours ago, Tinstar said:

This could be a significant detail because this guy was drafted by the Chiefs and worked under Nagy and Andy Reid >  This kid throws a real nice spiral, but is kind of short .

Was thinking of the Nagy angle too. 

was on the Eagles PS this season

The New York Jets brought in three players for tryouts on Wednesday including QB Aaron Murray, WR Brian Tyms and WR Kyle Prater.

None of the players were immediately signed to contracts but it’s likely that they’re being considered for future/reserve contracts.

Murray, 26, is a former fifth-round pick of the Chiefs back in 2014. He’s was in the third year of his four-year, $2,402,424 rookie contract and set to make a base salary of $600,000 for the 2016 season when the Chiefs elected to waive him coming out of the preseason.

The Cardinals later signed him to their practice squad but he ultimately lasted less than a week in Arizona. Murray signed on to the Eagles practice squad a day later and finished out the year in Philadelphia but wasn’t signed to a futures deal after the season.

Murray has yet to appear in an NFL game.

14 hours ago, Pcola said:

Well if it wasn't obvious to everyone with a working eye ball that Vinnie was the better option before those games, then I don't know what to tell you.  Parcells did sh*t to push his players buttons.  In Vinny's mind, he was the starter.  It was almost 20 years ago so who gives a crap.  

20 years ago Twitter and Jet messageboards didn't exist

Parcells would have gotten killed for signing the "failed backup" Vinny instead of developing Glenn Foley or trying to trade up for Akili Smith, Shaun King or Cade McNown because y'know the draft is the only way to get a qb.

On 1/14/2017 at 2:30 PM, joewilly12 said:

Im not going to judge Glennon yet but what do the Jets think they are accomplishing if they sign Glennon but bringing in another teams trash who has 0 success in the NFL. 

Glennon will come cheaper than Taylor and allow them to sign other much needed free agents. 

If they do sign Glennon I will support him and hope for the best. 

This move is typical NY Jets, 1000x better than signing the bearded imposter QB. 

Image result for mike glennon pics

Agreed. I am not a big fan of Glennon. The Bucs signed McCown and then drafted Winston while Glennon was there, so I don't think he is a vast improvement over what we already have, but oh well.

On January 26, 2017 at 1:14 PM, Ex-Rex said:

Agreed. I am not a big fan of Glennon. The Bucs signed McCown and then drafted Winston while Glennon was there, so I don't think he is a vast improvement over what we already have, but oh well.

Well ya cuz Lovie Smith knew what he was doing signing McCown to start

And Winston is the best qb to come out of college since Andrew Luck -- maybe better.  Bright idea passing on that

On 1/26/2017 at 2:14 PM, Ex-Rex said:

No the bucs sivned mccown thinking he wohld kill glennon...... But he was worse.  Then came jameis.  The rest is history. 

What jet fans dont know is that glennon was solid and developing.  He looked good he had like 19 tds vs 7 ints when he got pulled.  He should never  had gotten the hook.  Thats what you guys dont get.  Thats why you think hes a second stringer and were searching for other people trash. 

Scoring glennon wohld be HuGE

11 hours ago, HighPitch said:

No the bucs sivned mccown thinking he wohld kill glennon...... But he was worse.  Then came jameis.  The rest is history. 

What jet fans dont know is that glennon was solid and developing.  He looked good he had like 19 tds vs 7 ints when he got pulled.  He should never  had gotten the hook.  Thats what you guys dont get.  Thats why you think hes a second stringer and were searching for other people trash. 

Who's High Pitch?

22 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Exactly. He's a competent respectable qb. It's always "franchise or bust" with fans, which is cool, but until then we might as well put a qb on the field that is better than mediocre. 

Some fans refer to Glennon as if he was terrible based on how he was treated in Tampa. He had no control over management decisions, the only thing he had control over was his play on the field, and based on what I've seen I would most certainly support signing him. 

We have huge question marks at 3 of the 5 Oline positions and yet I've seen Glennon do more with less when it comes to performing with a crap Oline. If the Jets really think that Hack is a 2-3 year project then I'd prefer to have a guy that can still perform with uncertainty on the Oline, and who knows, maybe we could maximize Glennon's potential if we can actually revamp the offense. 

At the end of the day it's about the right 53. With all the nonsense surrounding Geno/Fitz, Glennon had a similar situation yet he handled the situation as a pro and a leader. We need more than just talent, but also character. 

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

He had no control over management decisions

Untrue.  Had he performed to a level the Bucks expected/desired, Management could not have benched him.

the only thing he had control over was his play on the field, and based on what I've seen I would most certainly support signing him.

He's a superior option, resume wise, to the two QB's currently on the roster.

But he is equally as uncertain a thing as both of them.  

The question always asked then is this:  If you're going to go with an unknown, do you want an expensive free agent who failed (right or wrong decision, he did not succeed in Tampa) or do you want an exceptionally cheap draft pick QB as your primary developmental/future QB. 

We have huge question marks at 3 of the 5 Oline positions and yet I've seen Glennon do more with less when it comes to performing with a crap Oline.

Perhaps the focus of the Front office should be on spending our limited cap pool on O-line talent then?  Glennon will be, as you have put it, an NFL-record large contract.  Perhaps the smarter decision is to give our two already-in-place cheap young QB's another year to compete, and build the O-line first.  If QB is still a major need, then the team can look to it in 2018, with a much improved O-line in front of whomever they acquire.

Geno/Fitz, Glennon had a similar situation yet he handled the situation as a pro and a leader. We need more than just talent, but also character. 

What alternative did Glennon have, be like Geno and bitch to the press and make stupid faces and gesticulations on the sidelines?

Glennon is fat smarter than Geno, but thats all it is is smarts, not character.  Glennon knew he only chance was when he hit free agency.  Geno never seemed to get that.

Which is why Glennon will make a goodly sum of money in 2017, and Geno may be fighting for a #3 job somewhere at league minimum.

Brains, not character, but still a positive for Glennon.

18 hours ago, Warfish said:

Untrue.  Had he performed to a level the Bucks expected/desired, Management could not have benched him.

Management fired the coach that named Glennon the starter only to hire a coach that benched Glennon for a QB that Glennon was clearly better than and outperformed that same season. Management allowed for that coach to tank the last game of the year and not put Glennon on the field just so they can maintain the high probability of losing the game just to secure the spot for Jameis Winston.

Glennon's play on the field wasnt the reason for his benching, it was the fact that Lovie wanted to bring in his own guy who completely failed then wanted to draft his own guy. It was the fact that Lovie wanted to have nothing to do with ANY QB that he didnt bring in than it was Glennon playing poorly on the field. Management simply supported this dumb move, something that Glennon had no control over and his play on the field clearly showed that he wasnt the problem with the offense.

He's a superior option, resume wise, to the two QB's currently on the roster.

But he is equally as uncertain a thing as both of them.  

The question always asked then is this:  If you're going to go with an unknown, do you want an expensive free agent who failed (right or wrong decision, he did not succeed in Tampa) or do you want an exceptionally cheap draft pick QB as your primary developmental/future QB.

He's not as uncertain as you're portraying. He has 21 game to evaluate excluding the preseason, meanwhile Petty has only shown to be injury prone and Hack hasnt shown that he was good enough to even participate IN a preseason game let alone a regular season game. Hack couldnt prove that he was good enough to start a game over Fitz, a guy who was benched for every QB on the roster except Hackenberg. No way in the world is glennon "equally" as uncertain as the guys currently on this roster. The question that you said that is "always asked" is only asked when the person speaking about "Glennon" hasnt watched him. You mentioned "September 29th 2013" a week ago in respects to his worst performance. That was his 1st professional game. Have you looked at his overall performance at a career QB? If so then you know that this guy is not as much an unknown as Petty who cant stay on the field and Hackenberg who can barely play preseason games and beat out the worst starting QB in the league...and that happened from the regime that drafted him, unlike Glennon who was benched given that the coach that drafted him and named him the starter was replaced for a guy who wanted to give the franchise to Josh McCown.

Also, you can have Glennon as the starter while still developing your future QB in Hackenberg. It's not like this isnt impossible. Hackenberg isnt ready, thats proven by the fact that we're even having his conversation.

Perhaps the focus of the Front office should be on spending our limited cap pool on O-line talent then?  Glennon will be, as you have put it, an NFL-record large contract.  Perhaps the smarter decision is to give our two already-in-place cheap young QB's another year to compete, and build the O-line first.  If QB is still a major need, then the team can look to it in 2018, with a much improved O-line in front of whomever they acquire.

I've noticed this statement of yours a couple times. I dont know where you're getting this from. It wouldnt be the first time you either misunderstood/misconstrued my words, but I dont expect Glennon to get a record-breaking contract nor have I said that I would support the Jets giving him such a contract. I clearly remember you asking me my "max price", me giving you that answer then you asking me "would I pay if my max price was exceeded", completely dismissing what I clearly said was my "max price".

Giving Mike Glennon 12 million per is fine by me. Please refer to this here since I've cleared it up.

Also, I dont know if its a smarter decision to move forward with our two unknown QB's. I never liked Petty and he's done nothing to change my mind and outside of Hackenberg's first preseason drive...he's looked totally lost on the field and again, couldnt find his way on the field when we were going through every QB on the roster this season. I'd rather have Glennon given that I have a clearer idea of what he can bring to the offense.

Glennon also outperformed every time he had an opportunity to get on the field after his benching. For example when McCown got hurt Glennon started 5 full games, if you average his yards out over a 16 game season he would have thrown for 4,200 yards and 32 TD's. When Jameis got hurt and Glennon went it he completed 91% of his passes 10-11 for 75 yards, both of his incompletions were drops, threw for a TD and completed a 2pt conversion in his 1 and only drive against an Atlanta Falcons team that is currently playing in the Superbowl...showing that this guy is more than just some unknown guy who doesnt deserve more of a look over guys like Petty and Hackenberg.

What alternative did Glennon have, be like Geno and bitch to the press and make stupid faces and gesticulations on the sidelines?

Glennon is fat smarter than Geno, but thats all it is is smarts, not character.  Glennon knew he only chance was when he hit free agency.  Geno never seemed to get that.

Which is why Glennon will make a goodly sum of money in 2017, and Geno may be fighting for a #3 job somewhere at league minimum.

Brains, not character, but still a positive for Glennon.

Obviously he had multiple alternatives, but he decided to be mature about the bullsh*t he went through, which showed alot about his character, especially dealing with an organization that also released medical information about Josh Freeman and that entire debacle. Someone's character can lead them to making smart or stupid decisions.

Management fired the coach that named Glennon the starter only to hire a coach that benched Glennon for a QB that Glennon was clearly better than and outperformed that same season. Management allowed for that coach to tank the last game of the year and not put Glennon on the field just so they can maintain the high probability of losing the game just to secure the spot for Jameis Winston.

Glennon's play on the field wasnt the reason for his benching, it was the fact that Lovie wanted to bring in his own guy who completely failed then wanted to draft his own guy. It was the fact that Lovie wanted to have nothing to do with ANY QB that he didnt bring in than it was Glennon playing poorly on the field. Management simply supported this dumb move, something that Glennon had no control over and his play on the field clearly showed that he wasnt the problem with the offense.

He's not as uncertain as you're portraying. He has 21 game to evaluate excluding the preseason, meanwhile Petty has only shown to be injury prone and Hack hasnt shown that he was good enough to even participate IN a preseason game let alone a regular season game. Hack couldnt prove that he was good enough to start a game over Fitz, a guy who was benched for every QB on the roster except Hackenberg. No way in the world is glennon "equally" as uncertain as the guys currently on this roster. The question that you said that is "always asked" is only asked when the person speaking about "Glennon" hasnt watched him. You mentioned "September 29th 2013" a week ago in respects to his worst performance. That was his 1st professional game. Have you looked at his overall performance at a career QB? If so then you know that this guy is not as much an unknown as Petty who cant stay on the field and Hackenberg who can barely play preseason games and beat out the worst starting QB in the league...and that happened from the regime that drafted him, unlike Glennon who was benched given that the coach that drafted him and named him the starter was replaced for a guy who wanted to give the franchise to Josh McCown.

Also, you can have Glennon as the starter while still developing your future QB in Hackenberg. It's not like this isnt impossible. Hackenberg isnt ready, thats proven by the fact that we're even having his conversation.

I've noticed this statement of yours a couple times. I dont know where you're getting this from. It wouldnt be the first time you either misunderstood/misconstrued my words, but I dont expect Glennon to get a record-breaking contract nor have I said that I would support the Jets giving him such a contract. I clearly remember you asking me my "max price", me giving you that answer then you asking me "would I pay if my max price was exceeded", completely dismissing what I clearly said was my "max price".

Giving Mike Glennon 12 million per is fine by me. Please refer to this here since I've cleared it up.

Also, I dont know if its a smarter decision to move forward with our two unknown QB's. I never liked Petty and he's done nothing to change my mind and outside of Hackenberg's first preseason drive...he's looked totally lost on the field and again, couldnt find his way on the field when we were going through every QB on the roster this season. I'd rather have Glennon given that I have a clearer idea of what he can bring to the offense.

Glennon also outperformed every time he had an opportunity to get on the field after his benching. For example when McCown got hurt Glennon started 5 full games, if you average his yards out over a 16 game season he would have thrown for 4,200 yards and 32 TD's. When Jameis got hurt and Glennon went it he completed 91% of his passes 10-11 for 75 yards, both of his incompletions were drops, threw for a TD and completed a 2pt conversion in his 1 and only drive against an Atlanta Falcons team that is currently playing in the Superbowl...showing that this guy is more than just some unknown guy who doesnt deserve more of a look over guys like Petty and Hackenberg.

Obviously he had multiple alternatives, but he decided to be mature about the bullsh*t he went through, which showed alot about his character, especially dealing with an organization that also released medical information about Josh Freeman and that entire debacle. Someone's character can lead them to making smart or stupid decisions.

okay, so if the jets do go for glennon (or even a qb about his age and talent) and pay him around 12m they can still develop hack for about 2 seasons before making the hard deceision as to which qb they want to go with in the future.  if glennon pans out then hack is trde bait.  if hack comes on strong then lennon becomes trade bait or is launched outright.  the key here is that even though the decision could be up to 4 seasons out it's amazing how fast they will come and glennon's contract will need an out after year 2.  it might be a good way for the jets to play this out.

Carson Palmer moved out of Arizona and pulled his kids out of school. Rumors are he is done in Arizona, I can see Arians going after Glennon also. They only have Drew Stanton. Maybe they go after Cutler or Romo. It will be interesting to see what Arians does at the QB position as he seems to prefer the tall pocket passers.

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

okay, so if the jets do go for glennon (or even a qb about his age and talent) and pay him around 12m they can still develop hack for about 2 seasons before making the hard deceision as to which qb they want to go with in the future.  if glennon pans out then hack is trde bait.  if hack comes on strong then lennon becomes trade bait or is launched outright.  the key here is that even though the decision could be up to 4 seasons out it's amazing how fast they will come and glennon's contract will need an out after year 2.  it might be a good way for the jets to play this out.

Exactly. No head coach/GM is going to do the type of rebuild that the Jets fans continue to talk about. The last guy to do that type of rebuild was John Idzik and look at the backlash he received doing what Fans every year say that we need to do. More importantly, just 2 seasons later we're again talking about "doing a proper rebuild". 

No, the answer is getting a solid QB, getting competent coaching and hitting in the draft. Idzik stripped this team down to such barebones I was surprised that we actually had players to put on the football field. 

Pay Glennon the 12 million, try to win football games while developing Hackenberg given that he's a 2-3 year project and continue to draft QB's in the mid-to-late rounds. Cut Petty and call it a day. The roster should be Glennon, Hack, Rookie. 

These contracts arent guaranteed like in the NBA, you can pay Glennon a deal and still get out of the contract in a year or two if need be. 

However, if this works, then you have a solid starter and you can STILL have Hackenberg develop so if Glennon wants a mega deal and the Jets feel they can move on to a younger Hackenberg then they can.

29 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Carson Palmer moved out of Arizona and pulled his kids out of school. Rumors are he is done in Arizona, I can see Arians going after Glennon also. They only have Drew Stanton. Maybe they go after Cutler or Romo. It will be interesting to see what Arians does at the QB position as he seems to prefer the tall pocket passers.

I doubt Arians goes after Romo, a highly injury-prone QB. Seasons have gone down the drain due to injuries to Palmer

On 1/25/2017 at 8:40 PM, Tinstar said:

another option, Tyler Bray will be a FA and has been with the Reid system for 4 years... would be way cheaper than Glennon. And would allow for the Hack/Bray/Petty competition at a lower cost to add other key players at need positions instead of dumping another 12-16 mil in an unproven, below 60% completion %, 28 year, has not done enough to warrant that type of money QB.

18 minutes ago, Stark said:

another option, Tyler Bray will be a FA and has been with the Reid system for 4 years... would be way cheaper than Glennon. And would allow for the Hack/Bray/Petty competition at a lower cost to add other key players at need positions instead of dumping another 12-16 mil in an unproven, below 60% completion %, 28 year, has not done enough to warrant that type of money QB.

I have been interested in Tyler Bray since his days at Tennessee .  Kid has a cannon, but was a bit of a problem child at UT .

8 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I have been interested in Tyler Bray since his days at Tennessee .  Kid has a cannon, but was a bit of a problem child at UT .

ha yeah he liked to party... also Lane Kiffin seemed to let the players do as they wish.

2 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

hmmm...drew staton was on the jets for a brief period until he was told he wouldn't get a chance to compete.  he started 8 games for the cards a couple of seasons ago and didn't do too badly.  i wonder if the jets could take another look. he's signed with the cards through next season.

20 hours ago, rangerous said:

hmmm...drew staton was on the jets for a brief period until he was told he wouldn't get a chance to compete.  he started 8 games for the cards a couple of seasons ago and didn't do too badly.  i wonder if the jets could take another look. he's signed with the cards through next season.

If Palmer is not in the Cardinals plans for next year, I would be curious to see what they do. I like Arians he is a good coach, I am not sure they will let Drew go or make him the starter. Who knows though, that would be a bold move. I don't know what his contract situation is.They will have to target a QB in free agency. I agree with the above poster on Romo, I wouldn't  go near him with his injury history. 

On 2/1/2017 at 5:50 AM, Villain The Foe said:

Glennon's play on the field wasnt the reason for his benching, it was the fact that Lovie wanted to bring in his own guy who completely failed then wanted to draft his own guy.

Your opinion.  If you have a legitimate source to back up the claim, feel free to link it.  But NFL Coaches, even Lovie, don't generally bench future franchise QB's who perform and produce just to play "their guy" for sh*ts and giggles.

He's not as uncertain as you're portraying. He has 21 game to evaluate excluding the preseason, meanwhile Petty has only shown to be injury prone and Hack hasnt shown that he was good enough to even participate IN a preseason game let alone a regular season game.

Petty has played far more in recent time than Glennon has.  Glennon's play, it should be reminded, was occuring around the same time we Jets fans were excited to watch Geno Smith's rookie campaign.  That's a long time ago in NFL years. 

Also, you can have Glennon as the starter while still developing your future QB in Hackenberg.

You could indeed, true.

Hackenberg isnt ready, thats proven by the fact that we're even having his conversation.

Wasn't ready in 2016.  We don't know if he'll be ready in 2017 as yet.  Safe bet is not.

I've noticed this statement of yours a couple times. I dont know where you're getting this from.

You should try and remember the things you say.  It was not long after a certain Texan signed a certain large contract, and you were using that to talk up Glennon.

I dont expect Glennon to get a record-breaking contract nor have I said that I would support the Jets giving him such a contract.

Excellent.

Be assured that I will.

Many variables here:  do they Jets think either Petty or Hack will be legit franchise QB's?  If not, then it's smarter to get another potential legit guy in the mix.  Do the jets think one of the two can bridge to another legit guy in a year or two, or while a 2017 draft pick QB sits?  If so, then they don't need a guy in FA.  

I don't think there is an argument that to-date Glennon > Petty/Hack combined.  The question is one of if Glennon is worth 12 million (or more if the market dictates that) when the alternative is a far cheaper draft pick QB, or a team preference for the far cheaper Petty/Hack development duo.

Glennon also outperformed every time he had an opportunity to get on the field after his benching.

Mop up trash time.  We heard this argument for years about Geno.  Trash time is called trash time for a reason mate.

For example when McCown got hurt Glennon started 5 full games, if you average his yards out over a 16 game season he would have thrown for 4,200 yards and 32 TD's.

Just going to tell you, these "if you take this small slice and make it 16 games" projections are always wrong, and a sign of horrible analytical thinking, and far too many are guilty of using it to prop up weak arguments and weak players (we got this alot for Geno if you recall).  

It's akin to the 'Shoulda Been INT's" fake news stat.  Judge what they did, not some silly projection of what you think they could have done if this, that and this other thing might have happened.

Again, it says absolutely nothing about his character.  it says he was either intelligent enough to know talking sh*t would screw him in FA, or that his agent was intelligent enough to tell him that talking sh*t would screw him in FA.  And this is a VERY low vbarrier of intelligence, don;t let the fact Geno Smith was too dumb to understand this color your judgement.  Any vaguely intelligent person would know not to go sperging and causing problems as a young QB who just got benched.

Warfish u r makimg no sense.  Once again youre chopping every sentence and commenting. 

Gannon has stats.  Go look them up.  They are not bad at all in fact promising.  You cant say why lovie smith benched him.  He did not deserve to be benched.  Go ahead look at his stats and tell me in detail why he was deserving of being benched anx how his stats are bad

1 minute ago, HighPitch said:

Warfish u r makimg no sense.  Once again youre chopping every sentence and commenting. 

Gannon has stats.  Go look them up.  They are not bad at all in fact promising.  You cant say why lovie smith benched him.  He did not deserve to be benched.  Go ahead look at his stats and tell me in detail why he was deserving of being benched anx how his stats are bad

Gannon is too old.  Do not want. ;)

The guy is a NC product.  HES YOUNG and tough..... 

in his 2013 rookie season he took over on week 4. In 13 games he threw for 2608 yards and 19 tds vs 9 picks. 

THIS IS AS A ROOKIE. 

In 2014, Lovie Smith comes in as coach and brings in josh mccown.  Glennon is benched for no reason other than lovies love for mccown. TB is offered 6 different trades for Glennon but no dice

Mccown flops.  Glennon only fills in here and there when mccown goes down with reoccuring injuries playing catch up.  Had some great moments and some bad moments.  Still,  hes in his 2nd year. 

THEN,  jameius winston.  End of story. 

He was a 3rd roynd pick in  2013. Geno and another were selected before him. 

So....... again tell me how he did NOT get a raw deal here and how he is NOT a very interesting option.  Also,  tell me who has better potential/upside

3 minutes ago, prime21 said:

How much better is Winston that Glennon?

Tampa choose Winston instead of having Glennon and a boat load of picks and/or players for that #1 spot.

That says a lot right there. 

Huh? That says nothing. When you have the first pick in the draft and there is a consensus #1 QB available, you take that QB and immediately bench the "prospect" you drafted in the 3rd round the year or 2 before. 

The Skins would have done the same thing despite having Cousins a couple of years ago. Does that "say a lot" about Cousins? When the Chargers had a chance to draft Rivers, they didn't care that Brees looked good. 

I am not saying that Glennon is the answer, but he deserves and will eventually get a chance to prove the doubters wrong. Will he be a Cousins or an Osweiller? No one knows, but I'd take my chances with him. Worst case, he is terrible and we end up with a top 2 pick in next years draft and draft one of the studs coming out in next years draft. 

Signing Glennon is a no brainer provided it doesn't cost us "Osweiller" money. Some of you are acting as if we can just pass on Glennon because there are so many potential franchise QBs sitting in free agency or available in trade. 

Archived