Cimini expects Jets to target Glennon

AFJF

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah I thought of listing them, but they weren't relative unknowns. Ditto others who bounced around when they were older, like Gannon.

Warner did win one. He'd have also won another one, perhaps, if he didn't throw that 100-yard pick-6 with his team 1st & goal on Pittsburgh's 2 yard line. Perhaps.

It was a very good play by Harrison

I just don't get the concept that the only place to get a qb is the draft.  The best team we had since SB3 was quarterbacked by a "failed backup"/"retread"

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Unless they think Glennon could be a franchise QB. I am not sold on Glennon but he is young and has shown flashes. The only thing holding him back was that the Bucs ended up with the first pick in the draft the year a consensus #1 QB was available to them so they went with Winston. The Chargers did the same with Rivers when they already have Brees. I am not suggesting Glennon=Rivers, but at least he is a young guy we could conceivably build around. 

If i was running things, I would definitely go with Hack/Petty/Rookie QB and hope one becomes a franchise QB, if not, hopefully get a top 2 pick next year and land a franchise QB. But I am not going to bash Glennon without first seeing him play in a Jets uniform. 

It's hard to think that any team thinks he's a franchise QB because he was basically available for the last two years and the Bucs couldn't give him away.  I'm not knocking  Glennon,  and if the Jets sign him, he'll automatically become the Jets best QB, but I just don't think he's THE guy, and that the money would be better spent elsewhere.  If the Jets sign him, I'll be rooting my arse off to be proven wrong an hope he becomes THE guy. 

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So he's a successful starter then?  Is that why Tampa dumped him, drafted a guy asap after seeing him play, and now will let him walk?

I said it a few posts before, there are times when teams (with good QBs) opt to draft a "franchise QB" at the top of the draft because they think the college kid is going to be much better.  I am sure the Chargers liked Brees, but when given the chance to get Rivers they drafted Rivers and unloaded Brees.

I would rather tank this year and draft Darnold next year, but I am not going to be upset if we spend a few bucks on Glennon. Best case scenario he is a franchise QB, worst case scenario he isn't good and we go 2-14 and get to draft a franchise QB next year. Getting a guy like Glennon is infinitely better than spending half the money on a Jag like Fitz/Hoyer. At least there is some upside. I

If we had to trade a 1st round pick (or even a 2nd rounder) for him I would pass, but I am sure Macc will give him a front loaded deal where we can bail on him after 2 years if he busts out. 

5 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

It's hard to think that any team thinks he's a franchise QB because he was basically available for the last two years and the Bucs couldn't give him away.  I'm not knocking  Glennon,  and if the Jets sign him, he'll automatically become the Jets best QB, but I just don't think he's THE guy, and that the money would be better spent elsewhere.  If the Jets sign him, I'll be rooting my arse off to be proven wrong an hope he becomes THE guy. 

Possibly, or maybe the Bucs asking price was too high. Maybe the bucs said either we are getting back a 1st/2nd rounder for him or we will just keep him around for 2 years as insurance for a young QB. I honestly doubt they were trying to give him away for a 5th round pick and no one wanted  him. 

If that is the case, we should be able to sign him for peanuts because no other team wants him. But I am thinking there will be at least 2 other teams bidding on Glennon. 

18 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

As far as winning SBs? Well, there's Favre and...Favre. Though Hasselbeck and Collins did both make it there. But, like they say, Marino doesn't have any SB rings either. Others played well enough to get there at one time or another. I doubt anyone would hold Trent Green and KC's top-2 offense responsible for the defense's pathetic showings every year. Also I'm sure I'm forgetting someone else who panned out.

I wouldn't care where the QB came from, and doubt you would either.

No doubt, I just want a good QB.  

I have my doubts that Glennon, and especially Tyrod, will ever be legitimate good starting QB's.  

The point I was making is that trading for failed QB's doesn't have a great history of leading to titles.  

But t does have a great history of large contracts, some famously so, for QB's who were "hyped" backups or the like elsewhere, who when given a boatload of cash failed completely in their new homes.

As you say, Favre did it.  Is Glennon or Tyrod a Favre?  I don't think so based on what we've seen.  And Favre, unlike either Glennon or Tyrod, was a total unknown, having near never played at all.  He was not a big-dollar Free Agent signed based on "potential".

13 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Possibly, or maybe the Bucs asking price was too high. Maybe the bucs said either we are getting back a 1st/2nd rounder for him or we will just keep him around for 2 years as insurance for a young QB. I honestly doubt they were trying to give him away for a 5th round pick and no one wanted  him. 

If that is the case, we should be able to sign him for peanuts because no other team wants him. But I am thinking there will be at least 2 other teams bidding on Glennon. 

.That's is exactly what happened. It was reported that Tampa  was asking for a first round pick for Glennon. I am all for bringing in Glennon at the right price, I was also hoping we drafted him but we wound up with Geno in the second . I remember Dick Cimini was sure we were going to draft Glennon when he came out, now he is saying we are expected to target Glennon in FA. I hope he is right, but I have little faith in Dick Cimini's sources.

58 minutes ago, thadude said:

Retreads never win anything just ask Steve Young, Brett Favre, Kurt Warner, Rich Gannon, Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Randall  Cunningham and our own Vinny Testaverde

Or we can stick with Bryce Putrid and Wackenberg

Interesting the QB's you chose to prove your point after calling Petty and Hack busts, and giving them clever nick names to prove how convinced you are they are busts.  Lets look at how the QB's you listed did the first few games they got to play.

Steve Young...1-4  3 TD's 8 Picks

second year   2-12 8 TD's 13Picks

Brett Favre....0 TD's 2 Picks

Kurt Warner...4 TD's 11 Picks

Rich Gannon...0 TD's 1 Pick

Brad Johnson..0 TD's O Picks

Trent Dilfer...1 TD  6 Picks

Vinny....47% completions...5 TD's 6 Picks

Bet you could have come up with some real cool names to prove they were busts. :)

1 hour ago, thadude said:

Glennon and Taylor are so much better than the crap we have on our roster currently.  Frankly it's scary that posters would actually prefer Petty/Hack

Also the Petty/Hack all in crowd don't explain what their risk management plan is.

That is, what happens if Petty and Hack both suck?

Under the Petty and Hack all in crowd you could have THREE more years of horrific football locked in as result of that move. 

7 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Interesting the QB's you chose to prove your point after calling Petty and Hack busts, and giving them clever nick names to prove how convinced you are they are busts.  Lets look at how the QB's you listed did the first few games they got to play.

Bet you could have come up with some real cool names to prove they were busts. :)

Steve Yuck

Brett Fart

Kurt Warty

Rich Gagnon

Brad Justawfulson

Trent D*ckface

Vinny Testicles

I tried.

3 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Also the Petty/Hack all in crowd don't explain what their risk management plan is.

Under the Petty and Hack all in crowd you could have THREE more years of horrific football locked in as result of that move. 

If Petty and Hack both suck, no guarantees, but right now the 2018 draft is being called a very good QB draft.  

Bring a new regime with a good QB coach,actually develop a young talented QB.  Draft a good young OL, and WR's.  Later bring in some FA's where needed.  What a novel idea.

This "let's just win enough games to keep our jobs' thingee the Jets have been on hasn't been working.

12 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I'm not in that group (my plan is Petty, Hack and a new Draft Pick).

My risk plan is that it's ok to be bad at QB if you're cycling through QB's till you find a good one.

If, hypothetically, Petty and hack look like poo next year.....so what?  If we've cycled through them both, and found both wanting, we have a bad year, and we cut both that next offseason, and try, try again.

Personally, I'd carry three QB's and a Prac. Squad QB every year going forward.  Two fail, next two up.  Rinse and repeat till we find one that sticks.

Nothing about this says future QB picks cannot be #1 picks, or the like either.  Obviously, the higher the pick, the longer the test period window when they stay on our roster.  

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

No doubt, I just want a good QB.  

I have my doubts that Glennon, and especially Tyrod, will ever be legitimate good starting QB's.  

The point I was making is that trading for failed QB's doesn't have a great history of leading to titles.  

But t does have a great history of large contracts, some famously so, for QB's who were "hyped" backups or the like elsewhere, who when given a boatload of cash failed completely in their new homes.

As you say, Favre did it.  Is Glennon or Tyrod a Favre?  I don't think so based on what we've seen.  And Favre, unlike either Glennon or Tyrod, was a total unknown, having near never played at all.  He was not a big-dollar Free Agent signed based on "potential".

Well even if not a high dollar acquisition, could also be significant compensation in draft pick(s). 

But yeah, the odds that either of them is Favre II is pretty slim.

14 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm not in that group (my plan is Petty, Hack and a new Draft Pick).

My risk plan is that it's ok to be bad at QB if you're cycling through QB's till you find a good one.

If, hypothetically, Petty and hack look like poo next year.....so what?  If we've cycled through them both, and found both wanting, we have a bad year, and we cut both that next offseason, and try, try again.

Personally, I'd carry three QB's and a Prac. Squad QB every year going forward.  Two fail, next two up.  Rinse and repeat till we find one that sticks.

Nothing about this says future QB picks cannot be #1 picks, or the like either.  Obviously, the higher the pick, the longer the test period window when they stay on our roster.  

Makes sense.

My only concern is that Hack will not be ready for real time action until 21018 at the earliest because he really didn't get quality practice time this year.  

And even assuming a new capable rookie is drafted in 2018 you could be looking at 2019 at the earliest for a ray of hope and by then the team's play could certainly see the dismissal of Bowles and Mac and I'm not sure that they are going to be willing to take one for the team by waiting for a raw talented QB to emerge.....

Would Glennon sign a contract similar to the contract that Chase Daniels signed with the Eagles last season?  Daniels signed a 3 year $21M contract which included a $3M signing bonus.  $12M guaranteed.  Average annual salary of $7M.  Or do we think Glennon will be looking for more than that?  Is he worth more than that?

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I said it a few posts before, there are times when teams (with good QBs) opt to draft a "franchise QB" at the top of the draft because they think the college kid is going to be much better.  I am sure the Chargers liked Brees, but when given the chance to get Rivers they drafted Rivers and unloaded Brees.

I would rather tank this year and draft Darnold next year, but I am not going to be upset if we spend a few bucks on Glennon. Best case scenario he is a franchise QB, worst case scenario he isn't good and we go 2-14 and get to draft a franchise QB next year. Getting a guy like Glennon is infinitely better than spending half the money on a Jag like Fitz/Hoyer. At least there is some upside. I

If we had to trade a 1st round pick (or even a 2nd rounder) for him I would pass, but I am sure Macc will give him a front loaded deal where we can bail on him after 2 years if he busts out. 

Nothing against Glennon but the biggest fear (worst case scenario) is probably what happened to Houston and Osweiler this past year.  The defense carried the team into the playoffs but everyone is questioning if Osweiler is the future (probably not).  Great that they made the playoffs, but they are still searching for a QB, which would lead to longer term succuess.  They have Osweiler, Savage and Weeden on their roster and have the 26th pick in the draft.  They may have a top defense but they are stuck with Osweiler at least one more year.  It would take at least a year to develop a draft pick from this year (unless they find a Dak or Wilson in this draft).  Which means their best shot is 2018.  EXCEPT that Hopkins, Clowney, Joseph are only under contract until 2017 and if they re-sign Hopkins and Clowney they will demand a lot of money which they will probably lead to cutting some other players.  Their window for a run was this year and next before the roster sees some drastic changes.  

Not saying Glennon will be anything like the Osweiler situation.  The worst case scenario is being mediocre year after year without drafting top talent.  If Glennon is indeed an upgrade over the QBs from last year, he better be the one to get the Jets to the Super Bowl cause adding 3-4 wins to this year's team would mean drafting in the high teens to low twenties and then looking for another QB two years from now with a roster full of middle round talent.

3 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

If the Jets are truly rebuilding, they will not sign Glennon or any other FA QB for that matter, and will bite the bullet and let Petty and Hackenberg duke it out in preseason.  If they want to continue this cycle of mediocrity, they will clear up  some cap space only to sign overpriced veterans or unproven players so they can win 7-8 games and pick in the middle of the draft year after year. 

This isn't entirely true. The actual problem is the fact that the jets have done poorly when it comes to the draft.

We don't have to sign Glennon or anyone else for that matter, but for as long as we draft another defensive lineman/defensive player in the 1st round, draft a bust in the second round and not develop any of the players from the 3rd round on down the Jets will continue to be a sh*tty football team. 

We had 13 picks just a couple years back with John Idzik and the only thing we have to show for that is Quincy Enunwa, a guy who's a fan favorite but isn't a top 30 wide receiver in this league. 

It doesn't matter if we pick in the middle of the draft...there are 7 rounds total and we do terrible in every one of them no matter where we pick. C'mon, our last respectable 2nd round pick is David F'ing Harris. That's just embarrassing and that incompetence has nothing to do with Glennon.

6 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

This isn't entirely true. The actual problem is the fact that the jets have done poorly when it comes to the draft.

We don't have to sign Glennon or anyone else for that matter, but for as long as we draft another defensive lineman/defensive player in the 1st round, draft a bust in the second round and not develop any of the players from the 3rd round on down the Jets will continue to be a sh*tty football team. 

We had 13 picks just a couple years back with John Idzik and the only thing we have to show for that is Quincy Enunwa, a guy who's a fan favorite but isn't a top 30 wide receiver in this league. 

It doesn't matter if we pick in the middle of the draft...there are 7 rounds total and we do terrible in every one of them no matter where we pick. C'mon, our last respectable 2nd round pick is David F'ing Harris. That's just embarrassing and that incompetence has nothing to do with Glennon.

I completely agree about the draft.  The Jets inability to draft effectively for the last 5 or so years has debilitated the franchise.

5 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

It's not just a "tweak" of the offensive line. It's finding a left tackle in a year bad for left tackles in free agency and the draft. And it's not just fixing the secondary, it's completely revamping it. Again. For the second time in Macc's short tenure. I'm going to get into how bad it is to draft a running back in the first round. Or how naive it is to sign Glennon for 15-18 million a year at the thought he would compete with Petty and Hack. That's not how any of this works. 

Yup we need a L tackle.

Yup the secondary needs infusion.

Ask Dallas about drafting a RB in the first round. 

Still think Glennon may be a good grab considering there are not many other options.

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

If Petty and Hack both suck, no guarantees, but right now the 2018 draft is being called a very good QB draft.  

Bring a new regime with a good QB coach,actually develop a young talented QB.  Draft a good young OL, and WR's.  Later bring in some FA's where needed.  What a novel idea.

This "let's just win enough games to keep our jobs' thingee the Jets have been on hasn't been working.

You aren't wrong, but this strategy may end up firing Bowles and Mac, and something they maybe very weary to sign on to.

On 1/14/2017 at 10:51 PM, CrazyCarl40 said:

As long as it isn't for starter money or starter length. Like a 1 year 7 million dollar deal as a "show me" contract. Anything else is overspending on a QB who isn't likely to be a long term solution or a "franchise" QB like this team so desperately needs. 

He'll get way more than 7 because Macc just screwed the pooch signing our moron below average guard to 8 million a year contract.

3 hours ago, MaxAF said:

Yup we need a L tackle.

Yup the secondary needs infusion.

Ask Dallas about drafting a RB in the first round. 

Still think Glennon may be a good grab considering there are not many other options.

People keep saying look at Dallas when in comes to first round running backs. While I can appreciate that line of thought, it doesn't hold water under scrutiny. Long story short, first round running backs are an unnecessary luxury that the Jets can't afford. 

3 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

People keep saying look at Dallas when in comes to first round running backs. While I can appreciate that line of thought, it doesn't hold water under scrutiny. Long story short, first round running backs are an unnecessary luxury that the Jets can't afford. 

All we need is the best OL in the nfl and we will look smart for drafting rb in rd 1

9 hours ago, flgreen said:

There's a better chance of me becoming a franchise qb than Putridy or "His play makes me" Hack

10 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Carl, think about it. The Jets for so many years...Forever practically..has depended on the run game. Since we haven't had good QB's the team needs a ground and pound run game. It's been Jets football for a long time. And you know establishing a run game opens up the pass game. And it doesn't look like we will have a franchise QB next year. I think the Jets will get a stable of RBs for next year. They're gonna need them 

32 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Carl, think about it. The Jets for so many years...Forever practically..has depended on the run game. Since we haven't had good QB's the team needs a ground and pound run game. It's been Jets football for a long time. And you know establishing a run game opens up the pass game. And it doesn't look like we will have a franchise QB next year. I think the Jets will get a stable of RBs for next year. They're gonna need them 

I think the Jets definitely need to draft a RB in this draft because it's supposedly very deep. But I place zero value on that in the first round. Any round after that? Sure. Knock yourself out. The average lifespan of a running back in the NFL is much shorter than any other position. You don't put a high pick and therefore high money on the position. What round were the four backs that are left playing drafted in? Hell, Green Bay's running back is actually a wide receiver!

The Jets need a QB, Glennon has starting experience, so the Jets certainly should be kicking the tires on Glennon.  Not sure that means they have to sign him, but if I were GM I would certainly have him in.  My number would probably be much lower than most of you guys though. 

7 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I think the Jets definitely need to draft a RB in this draft because it's supposedly very deep. But I place zero value on that in the first round. Any round after that? Sure. Knock yourself out. The average lifespan of a running back in the NFL is much shorter than any other position. You don't put a high pick and therefore high money on the position. What round were the four backs that are left playing drafted in? Hell, Green Bay's running back is actually a wide receiver!

I don't understand why this means you shouldn't draft a RB high.  They are generally plug and play.  If you get a good one and can ride him for 4-5 years, why wouldn't you?  I think the fact that teams avoid RBs in the first is an advantage.  That being said I am not advocating a RB this year for the Jets.  I think the problem is that so many lower and un-drafted players succeed it seems like a wasted resource.

Archived