Quick fixes for success this season

Gee Andrezzi

1. Keep revis only if he takes a pay cut (not to play safety; #2 corner if not then #3) he can help mold young cb's like juston Burris and whoever we select in the draft

2. Cut Marshall, decker (there's enough WR firepower with enunwa and Anderson) possibly pickup victor cruz on a vet-minimum deal;he wants to stay in NY,and if he plays well and injury-free then resign him after next year

3. Keep nick mangold and David Harris only if they take pay cuts (as veterans they can help mold the young guys at their position for the future; and finish their careers on a high note)

4. Cut giacomini and clady (we can pay bums off the street to do the production they did and not lose value at all)

5. Make Brandon shell the starting RT

6. Trade Calvin Pryor for at least a 2nd-rd pick in 2017 draft

7. Draft FS Malik Hooker with the #6 pick, Draft SS Obi Melifonwu In the 2nd-rd and let them learn and develop as the starters from day one and for the future (obi can be the next Kam chancellor if he develops right, and Hooker is a playmaking, athletic prototype FS like ed reed; both can be stars in 2-3 years)

8. Draft another edge rusher in the 3rd or 4th rounds in case Lorenzo maudlin isn't the answer (Jordan Jenkins looks like he will be a quality OLB for the future) plus Kevin Greene will help this position group alot

9. Let Hackenburg start from day one ( if he isn't the answer at QB at least we know and can find way better QB talent in 2018 draft) possibly draft MAHONES in the 4th round if he's still there

10. Cut buster skrine (he had a horrible year even for a bad cb's standards) and he doesn't fit the mold that Todd Bowles likes for his corners; he's very small and not good in 1-on-1 down field coverage

11. Cut Matt forte and let bilal Powell be the bell-cow starter and find a backup for him (Powell earned it and he had a monster end of the season behind a pretty bad and injured o-line) plus Powell is a more explosive version of forte at this point and can do everything forte does including catch the ball well

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Gee Andrezzi said:

2. Cut Marshall, decker (there's enough WR firepower with enunwa and Anderson) possibly pickup victor cruz on a vet-minimum deal;he wants to stay in NY,and if he plays well and injury-free then resign him after next year

No way in hell do you do this. You cannot let a rookie unproven QB or even a proven NFL QB have a WR corps that exists of J.Marshall,Devin Smith,Robbie Anderson and Charone Peake this would be a repeat of the year they did this to Geno Smith. NO WAY IN HELL

32 minutes ago, Gee Andrezzi said:

1. Keep revis only if he takes a pay cut (not to play safety; #2 corner if not then #3) he can help mold young cb's like juston Burris and whoever we select in the draft

3. Keep nick mangold and David Harris only if they take pay cuts (as veterans they can help mold the young guys at their position for the future; and finish their careers on a high note)

4. Cut giacomini and clady (we can pay bums off the street to do the production they did and not lose value at all)

7. Draft FS Malik Hooker with the #6 pick, Draft SS Obi Melifonwu In the 2nd-rd and let them learn and develop as the starters from day one and for the future (obi can be the next Kam chancellor if he develops right, and Hooker is a playmaking, athletic prototype FS like ed reed; both can be stars in 2-3 years)

8. Draft another edge rusher in the 3rd or 4th rounds in case Lorenzo maudlin isn't the answer (Jordan Jenkins looks like he will be a quality OLB for the future) plus Kevin Greene will help this position group alot

9. Let Hackenburg start from day one ( if he isn't the answer at QB at least we know and can find way better QB talent in 2018 draft) possibly draft MAHONES in the 4th round if he's still there

10. Cut buster skrine (he had a horrible year even for a bad cb's standards) and he doesn't fit the mold that Todd Bowles likes for his corners; he's very small and not good in 1-on-1 down field coverage

11. Cut Matt forte and let bilal Powell be the bell-cow starter and find a backup for him (Powell earned it and he had a monster end of the season behind a pretty bad and injured o-line) plus Powell is a more explosive version of forte at this point and can do everything forte does including catch the ball well

Respect the effort, but some disagreements.

1. No.  Cut Revis.  Sign BAP-FA that can be signed for materially less $$.

2. No.  Retain Marshall/Decker for 2017.  Young QB's will need both, the kid WR's aren't ready or good enough yet.

3. Agree, Mangold isn't going anywhere, his backup is not half as good as he is yet.

4. Agree, but doubt the team does it.  Not enough firepower in Draft/FA to replace them (the team likely thinks).

5. No.  Not gonna happen in 2017.  Maybe 2018 tho.

6. No.  Pryor is fine for now.  Can't fix everything and should force it to try and do so.

7. No.  A Safety at #6?  Are you kidding me?  Impact player of Offense of GTFO.  Starting QB.  Elite-level #1 RB.  All-World 10+ Year O-Lineman.  A Safety?  Ugh.

8.  Agree, I suppose.  A mid-round pick of a rusher LB is fine.   

9. No.  Absolutely not.  The kid was pure sh*t in 2016, and we have no evidence he is ready in any form to even play in preseason in 2017.  Petty, Hack and someone else (Draft Pick, young FA) can compete for the job, and winner plays.

10. Agreed, Skrine has been a huge disappointment, but replacing all the CB's in one offseason will be very hard.  

11. Agree.  Forte is horrible, no matter what his defenders here say.  He's a worn-out runner only decent between the 20's.  And he was horrible misused here last year too.  Either keep as a pure 3rd down pass catcher back, or cut him, but he cannot be the 1st/2nd down Runner.  Hell no.  Powell is fine....but expect him hurt by Week 10 as a #1, thats his MO thus far in his career, can't handle the abuse.  

23 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Quick fixes have put this team in the fix they are in. Cut the dead weight and rebuild. Its the only way. Otherwise we will be stuck in this malaise for years to come.

I agree but let's be honest this is NY were talking about. You can't do a complete rebuild in a city like ny. But by cutting the veterans who don't earn their money (skrine,clady, giacomini) and keeping on the vets who do (Harris,mangold etc) at positions where we can afford to keep veterans (Inside LB) we can still compete but still weed out the players who we don't need (like Marshall, skrine, etc)

1 minute ago, Gee Andrezzi said:

I agree but let's be honest this is NY were talking about. You can't do a complete rebuild in a city like ny. But by cutting the veterans who don't earn their money (skrine,clady, giacomini) and keeping on the vets who do (Harris,mangold etc) at positions where we can afford to keep veterans (Inside LB) we can still compete but still weed out the players who we don't need (like Marshall, skrine, etc)

This the mentality that has destroyed this team. They sign a few vets and look good with a terrible schedule. They go 9-7 or 10-6 then the next season with the tougher schedule they go 6-10 or 5-11 or 4-12 and are exposed. The cycle of stupidity must stop. This being NY stuff is bullsh*t. They need to bite the bullet, take the heat and tear it all down. Let a bunch of younger guys grow together and build something that will last for years and end the climate of losing and excuses that this team has been in for decades. Like the Jets some people never learn.

23 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

This the mentality that has destroyed this team. They sign a few vets and look good with a terrible schedule. They go 9-7 or 10-6 then the next season with the tougher schedule they go 6-10 or 5-11 or 4-12 and are exposed. The cycle of stupidity must stop. This being NY stuff is bullsh*t. They need to bite the bullet, take the heat and tear it all down. Let a bunch of younger guys grow together and build something that will last for years and end the climate of losing and excuses that this team has been in for decades. Like the Jets some people never learn.

100% agree. Which is why I said the only vets that should stay are mangold and Harris lol. Harris may have lost a step or 2 but he's still a 90+ tackles a season, smart MLB. 

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

what if we do?

Exactly lol plus look at darron Lee. He CLEARLY wasn't ready but by getting game experience he'll be a better player for the future. Not playing hackenburg only proves we wasted a 2nd rd pick. We saw petty isn't the starter now we can do the same process for hackenburg

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

No way in hell do you do this. You cannot let a rookie unproven QB or even a proven NFL QB have a WR corps that exists of J.Marshall,Devin Smith,Robbie Anderson and Charone Peake this would be a repeat of the year they did this to Geno Smith. NO WAY IN HELL

2 totally different scenarios...they had no weapons that year our best receiver that year was Jeremy kerley..a 5'9" slot receiver lol. Robby Anderson is a 6'3" 190 pound speedster who can also go up for the ball in the air. all he needs to do is add 10 pounds of muscle and he'll be a legit playmaker. He was making plays this year with worse than horrible QB play and being a 3rd option basically lol and put up decent numbers for an drafted WR and enunwa has TE build in a WR body with WR speed and skills. I'll take peake/Jalen Marshall as my 3rd option 

48 minutes ago, Gee Andrezzi said:

100% agree. Which is why I said the only vets that should stay are mangold and Harris lol. Harris may have lost a step or 2 but he's still a 90+ tackles a season, smart MLB. 

Harris can't cover me

He's way overpaid and basically worthless in today's NFL.  Harris lined up in a nickel or dime formation is an opposing Qb's dream 

And no NFL Center is worth $9.5 million.  Only pay cut mangold should get is if he accepts the league minimum 

6 minutes ago, Gee Andrezzi said:

2 totally different scenarios...they had no weapons that year our best receiver that year was Jeremy kerley..a 5'9" slot receiver lol. Robby Anderson is a 6'3" 190 pound speedster who can also go up for the ball in the air. all he needs to do is add 10 pounds of muscle and he'll be a legit playmaker. He was making plays this year with worse than horrible QB play and being a 3rd option basically lol and put up decent numbers for an drafted WR and enunwa has TE build in a WR body with WR speed and skills. I'll take peake/Jalen Marshall as my 3rd option 

Brandon Marshall makes Enunwa and Anderson better.  I can see cutting Decker but not Marshall especially if he is at a reasonable cost ($7.5 mil) for one year left

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

they didn't go 5-11 because of the vets they signed.  they were that bad because of the locker room feud between sheldon and brandon and all of the bs in between.

Just now, rangerous said:

they didn't go 5-11 because of the vets they signed.  they were that bad because of the locker room feud between sheldon and brandon and all of the bs in between.

They were bad for many reasons worst QB in the NFL and worst coaching staff in the NFL to name a few. 

8 minutes ago, rangerous said:

My opinion: The so-called locker room feud was minor, although I understand the excitement people get here on JN by exaggerating its significance.  It was nothing like the Santonio Holmes blow up a few years ago, IMO.  It certainly didn't bring them down to 5-11.  The main reason for a crappy season?  I think it was terrible QB play, terrible  coaching, amateur game planning and failure to make any mid-game adjustmnets. Again, JMO.

Forgot Richardson. If he can be traded for even a 3rd rounder, his 8M comes off the cap and we have normalcy on the DL with Leo and Mo at DEs and Simon at NT. And as others have said, if Hack is not ready to start in 2017 then you don't put him or the team in that position. Also, I would consider as the Jets are keeping Clady if he takes a cut for LT. There are no good answers for a LT in FA or the draft this year and we need to keep what we have if possible. Also resign the LT/RT Ijgluna(sp?).

2 hours ago, Gee Andrezzi said:

most seem okay but i don't see a Lt in the mix.  i don't know that i'd bank on revis being a good mentor.  probablybetter to let him go.  i tnink i'd draft a qb maybe mahomes maybe not.  i don't think forte can be cut without a cap hit.  skrine needs to be put back in the slot.  doubtful pryor can be traded for a 2nd rounder.  we'll see what happens.  should start getting interesting in the next few weeks.

8 minutes ago, thadude said:

Hard to win when the best Qb on the roster by far can't throw past 2 yards and has 6 int's in one game

okay but you do realize that he started 11 appeared in 14 games and threw a total of 17 ints.  take away the 6 and that 11 in 10 starts and 4 appearance.  fitz' ints weren't what did this team in.  he's gone so we should just move on.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I will have no problem at all if they start Hackenburg from day one or Petty, it won't happen but if it did it would signal that the team was indeed finally in a real true rebuild and I'd have no issue with that.

2 Thoughts here:

1-Logically and long-term, starting Hack is the right thing to do.   He was drafted high to at least compete to play.  He has only 3 years left on his cheap contract.  If he starts, the Jets get an accurate reading of the team they have.  If he stinks, then they draft very high and get another chance at a QB in a QB-rich 2018 draft.  If he is good the Jets pick lower and continue to be good.

If rather than Hack some washed up Vet plays, the Jets still stink but win too many games,   They don't get the long term QB, and the cycle continues.

So they should sleep in the bed they made, play Hack and Petty (and a vet emergency back up) and see how they do.

2-this thread shows how hard it will be for the Jets' "Braintrust" to figure out who stays and who goes.

Archived