Macc choosing the right path

Jetster

I am 100% behind Maccs decision to blow it up & begin the NY Jets resurgence. While Brady & Belichick are up in New England & with the Jets playing in the same division you have to have to plan to build with young hungry players. Guys like Marshall, Decker, Clady, Mangold have been around long enough to know they have zero chance to succeed. Defeated before you even start.

Macc shouldn't even consider any older free agents, why? Build from the inside out, which I've always believed in, when you start with strong offensive & defensive lines you can at least compete. Once you do that you strengthen your defense at the backend. Trading back & getting a safety like Adams or Hooker, is a great start. 

The most important round of this upcoming draft might be the 3rd if we trade Sheldon & end up with 3 third round picks. In a deep draft that the meat of the draft where can build your football team. Hopefully we find that unicorn QB that propels you like the Seahawks did with Wilson. Each & every player the Jets have cut were flawed or long in the tooth. While Marshall played fantastic in 2015, his TD drop in New England forced them to win on the road in Buffalo. When's the last time you saw a Pats receiver drop an open TD in the endzone?

I personally think Macc has been pretty good at drafting & having all of his scouts in place 2017 draft will be our finest yet. Looking forward to seeing a young hungry team with speed compete & develop as the year progresses. We could have a worse year than 2016 & still see more hope for our future. NFL play has deteriorated & competing is easier than ever. Let's build the team that finally ruins the Pats run & their fans remember as the changing of the guard. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm more optimistic towards Mac than I am Bowles, that's for sure.  However Mac has made a few bonehead moves including the last minute hire of Fitz, the mishandling the Wilk contract, the entire DL situation, and in general overpaying on the defensive side of the ball.  I do blame the "Bowels influence" for many of these moves.

It is now time for Mac to step up and be his own man and use his own judgement going forward.    

13 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

I'm more optimistic towards Mac than I am Bowles, that's for sure.  However Mac has made a few bonehead moves including the last minute hire of Fitz, the mishandling the Wilk contract, the entire DL situation, and in general overpaying on the defensive side of the ball.  I do blame the "Bowels influence" for many of these moves.

It is now time for Mac to step up and be his own man and use his own judgement going forward.    

I truely believe that bringing Fitz back after the first season he gave us was the right move to make. Yes in hindsight it backfired but how do you not bring him back after his first season with us when your best players are lobbying to get the guy back? As for Wilkersons contract we resigned one of our more talented young players, I don't think that a full rebuild was our initial plan for this season so that contract might end up hurting us down the road but when you draft a good player you need to lock them up. Maybe Wilkerson turns into a trade chip down the road who knows.

2 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I truely believe that bringing Fitz back after the first season he gave us was the right move to make. Yes in hindsight it backfired but how do you not bring him back after his first season with us when your best players are lobbying to get the guy back? As for Wilkersons contract we resigned one of our more talented young players, I don't think that a full rebuild was our initial plan for this season so that contract might end up hurting us down the road but when you draft a good player you need to lock them up. Maybe Wilkerson turns into a trade chip down the road who knows.

1. The operative phrase is "last minute".  

2. Let Wilk (coming off an injury) walk and get a 3rd round comp pick the following year voiding the need to play Richardson out of position.

I'm no genius but these moves seems obvious.  

15 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

2. Let Wilk (coming off an injury) walk and get a 3rd round comp pick the following year voiding the need to play Richardson out of position.

Wilk was coming off an injury, Sheldon was coming off an offseason where he got busted doing like 130mph with a kid and loaded gun in the car. Kinda lose lose and to which you want to pay unless you let them both walk and draft another D lineman?

When you hire people doing the job for the first time, as Woody is apt to do, they will make mistakes.  You hope they learn from them.  Macc appears to be learning.  Bowles was not adapting during the saeason.   He appears to have learned something with his new coaches.

I do think that Bowles was completely stiffed by Gailey and Patullo last year.  Bowles was responsible for letting it happen.

Building a team is an art, but you definitely want to avoid signing the older vets until you build a core.  The Jets lack a core.  A capable QB can win you a decent number games but not more than that unless you have a team.  Thus, if the vets want a sustainable winner they should avoid the QB patches.

I think Macc believes in the total team build with ability of a middle of the road QB to pilot.   Given that QBs get hurt pretty regularly, that is not a horrible approach.  I think the Petty and Hack picks evidence that.   If you have an defense and other defensive pieces, that should work.  Basically the Broncos and Texans.

Starting the offseason intentionally tanking is not a realistic proposition, but they can be building for the long term.   The moves today are consistent with that.  What are frustrating are the late season victories that kill draft order.  When the season is done you play young players to give them experience and indirectly help your draft order.    They are not losing on purpose, but they are not seeking short term wins either.  

My guess is that the Jets make Glennon a low ballish offer.  The right answer for a Glennon contract is a short term prove it deal.  That is in both sides interests.   But Glennon will worry he can prove it with the Jets.  No sure Glennon is  WCO QB either   

2 hours ago, varjet said:

When you hire people doing the job for the first time, as Woody is apt to do, they will make mistakes.  You hope they learn from them.  Macc appears to be learning.  Bowles was not adapting during the saeason.   He appears to have learned something with his new coaches.

I do think that Bowles was completely stiffed by Gailey and Patullo last year.  Bowles was responsible for letting it happen.

Building a team is an art, but you definitely want to avoid signing the older vets until you build a core.  The Jets lack a core.  A capable QB can win you a decent number games but not more than that unless you have a team.  Thus, if the vets want a sustainable winner they should avoid the QB patches.

I think Macc believes in the total team build with ability of a middle of the road QB to pilot.   Given that QBs get hurt pretty regularly, that is not a horrible approach.  I think the Petty and Hack picks evidence that.   If you have an defense and other defensive pieces, that should work.  Basically the Broncos and Texans.

Starting the offseason intentionally tanking is not a realistic proposition, but they can be building for the long term.   The moves today are consistent with that.  What are frustrating are the late season victories that kill draft order.  When the season is done you play young players to give them experience and indirectly help your draft order.    They are not losing on purpose, but they are not seeking short term wins either.  

My guess is that the Jets make Glennon a low ballish offer.  The right answer for a Glennon contract is a short term prove it deal.  That is in both sides interests.   But Glennon will worry he can prove it with the Jets.  No sure Glennon is  WCO QB either   

Bowltite learning anything from anything - LMAO

Glennon - LOL @ bobblehead man. If he was so great why did TB take a QB the first chance they got?

You guys are dreamers and that's ok. After all, that is really all us Jet fans have to hold on to, our dreams.

My dream is that this team can win a SB again in my lifetime, and we discover alien life on another planet.

Wonder which will happen first?

3 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Glennon - LOL @ bobblehead man. If he was so great why did TB take a QB the first chance they got?

You guys are dreamers and that's ok. After all, that is really all us Jet fans have to hold on to, our dreams.

My dream is that this team can win a SB again in my lifetime, and we discover alien life on another planet.

Maybe the next great Jets QB can be an alien from planet QB. 

9 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

I absolutely do not want Glennon, but Glennon did show some skills in his limited starts. Glennon wasn't a proven QB so an argument could be made that Tampa Bay took Jameis Winston because he looked like a future star and if you have the #1 pick and there's a potential star QB that you fall in love with, you take him.

While all of the comparisons don't correlate directly, Washington traded their future for RG III and then picked up Kirk Cousins in the same draft because RGIII wasn't a proven commodity. The Jets continue to take a QB every year hoping to hit the lottery because they don't have a proven guy there now. The Colts took Andrew Luck and let Peyton Manning go because Andrew Luck looked like a future star.

While I am not advocating for Glennon, there is a legitimate possibility that he could be a top 32 QB, or even better. The Jets coaches are the only ones that have seen Hack and we've only seen Petty in limited action and maybe their lack of faith in their future potential opens the door to go after a guy like Glennon.

3 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

Not nitpicking, but if we void Wilk's contract, we don't get any compensation. Just like us cutting Mangold, Marshall, etc.  And it's a monster hit on our cap.

And to the OP, as of now, there are no mocks that show Adams or Hooker falling beyond 7, So trading back and getting either one of them does not appear to be an option.

And how Mac handles this offseason will be very telling.  If he dumps a monster contract on Glennon, than he is done in my book.  We needed a QB like Glennon in 2009 and 2015.  In 2017, he isn't good enough to raise the level of play on the young and inexperienced team we will be putting around him.  And his inexperience doesn't help.  He at no point in his college or pro career has he been able to overcome the adversity of playing on a roster that is bottom 5 in talent.

3 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

And if we let him walk, people would have screamed bloody murder for letting one of our best go.  It was a no-win situation

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Just curious, if he's learned so much - and the cutting of B.Marshall is the most recent evidence of this - then why did he (just prior to cutting him) offer this same player an extension?

It might not have been a real extension.  Might have been a "hey, thanks for the two years, we would like to extend you by paying you less money for 3 more years."  An extension that's not REALLY an extension....you know?

Just now, CanadaSteve said:

It might not have been a real extension.  Might have been a "hey, thanks for the two years, we would like to extend you by paying you less money for 3 more years."  An extension that's not REALLY an extension....you know?

I'm aware of what those are, but there is no evidence I'm aware of with that being the case. The only thing that has come out is that Marshall didn't sign it - and further wanted out now - because he said he wanted to play for a contender, not because the extension offer was phony and would have locked him in for cheap money.

Regardless, it surely would have locked the team into Marshall for the upcoming season, while he's now getting his face licked for shrewdly moving away from older veterans like Marshall. 

If Macc didn't fcukup the $50mil cap space two years ago, he would not have needed to blow this up. Those that continue to blow Macc, have no clue. Macc has been nothing less that terrible. When you miss in the FA as bad as Macc has, you're effed up. Outside of James Carpenter, name another FA acquisition that was worth the shirload cash Macc gave them. Go ahead. Try it. 

2015: Revis, Cro, Carpenter, Skrine and Gilly via FA and sh*tzpatrik n Marshall via trades. 

2016: Forte, Clady n Mcclendon

But, what a fantastic job Macc has done. 

4 minutes ago, j4jets said:

If Macc didn't fcukup the $50mil cap space two years ago, he would not have needed to blow this up. Those that continue to blow Macc, have no clue. Macc has been nothing less that terrible. When you miss in the FA as bad as Macc has, you're effed up. Outside of James Carpenter, name another FA acquisition that was worth the shirload cash Macc gave them. Go ahead. Try it. 

2015: Revis, Cro, Carpenter, Skrine and Gilly via FA and sh*tzpatrik n Marshall via trades. 

A bit over the top but I agree that Mac's failings are piling up a bit as well.  

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm aware of what those are, but there is no evidence I'm aware of with that being the case. The only thing that has come out is that Marshall didn't sign it - and further wanted out now - because he said he wanted to play for a contender, not because the extension offer was phony and would have locked him in for cheap money.

Regardless, it surely would have locked the team into Marshall for the upcoming season, while he's now getting his face licked for shrewdly moving away from older veterans like Marshall. 

I'm not trying to argue with you, because I know you will ban me if I do, but can you show me where he's being given credit, getting his face licked, or other things licked, for cutting the vets? I think most feel it should have been done 2 years ago, and are relieved it seems for now at least he's not going to go full Rex/Tanny and try to make one last ditch attempt with a group that can't work.

but I have not seen any licking, and you've mentioned this a few times. I'm always up for watching a good lick, so please point me to the licking, if you would be so kind.

16 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Well you're not incorrect but Didn't Macc win executive of the year for what he did.  So yes, in hindsight, the plan didn't work but had we won the Buffalo game, there's no telling how far we could have gone in the playoffs.

I just hope the front office realizes that this offseason to go for broke.  Yes bringing in Jefferson, Minter types will be great because they are young and can be part of the team for a while.  But bringing in a bunch of older, injury plagued vets that won't be part of our long term solutions, will be short lived.  This will tell me that either Woody isn't patient enough and Macc is fearful for his job or Macc doesn't have the long term vision needed to build a consistently great team.

22 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Well you're not incorrect but Didn't Macc win executive of the year for what he did.  So yes, in hindsight, the plan didn't work but had we won the Buffalo game, there's no telling how far we could have gone in the playoffs.

I just hope the front office realizes that this offseason to go for broke.  Yes bringing in Jefferson, Minter types will be great because they are young and can be part of the team for a while.  But bringing in a bunch of older, injury plagued vets that won't be part of our long term solutions, will be short lived.  This will tell me that either Woody isn't patient enough and Macc is fearful for his job or Macc doesn't have the long term vision needed to build a consistently great team.

So "executive of the year" equates to winning football games.how so? 

We have no idea what his plan is.  Everybody is saying "tank".  If he goes out and gets Glennon or Tyrod, signs a LT, signs a CB, drafts Hooker or best CB available, would he not be putting a team on the field that won't be great, but will win far too often to get a top 3 or top 5 pick?

If they sign Hoyer and Ijalana, it's safe to say the tank is on.

27 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

I'm not trying to argue with you, because I know you will ban me if I do, but can you show me where he's being given credit, getting his face licked, or other things licked, for cutting the vets? I think most feel it should have been done 2 years ago, and are relieved it seems for now at least he's not going to go full Rex/Tanny and try to make one last ditch attempt with a group that can't work.

but I have not seen any licking, and you've mentioned this a few times. I'm always up for watching a good lick, so please point me to the licking, if you would be so kind.

1. More emo & lies. Nobody has ever been banned for arguing, including you in any of your 15+ prior usernames.

2. There is plenty of credit being given to him for doing things the "right" way now, including the very title of this thread, among many others.

3. Beyond that, you can look yourself. It's not my job to do research for you. 

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

1. More emo & lies. Nobody has ever been banned for arguing, including you in any of your 15+ prior usernames.

2. There is plenty of credit being given to him for doing things the "right" way now, including the very title of this thread, among many others.

3. Beyond that, you can look yourself. It's not my job to do research for you. 

I'm pretty sure at least 16 of my 18 user names were banned for arguing. One other one was for retaliation towards you for telling me to take Sanchezs cock out of my mouth because I dared to say that others also shared blame at the disaster in addition to him, which obviously upset you. But you do carry a big stick. Boom!

I don't see any credit, I just see support. I think there's a difference. I've been researching and I still don't see it. Since I know you only post facts, just asking for some helpi finding those facts. Plus I really like seeing things get licked.

41 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

1. More lies. Nobody has ever been banned for arguing, including you. 

2. Read the board a bit. There is plenty of credit being given to him for doing things the "right" way now, including the very title of this thread. 

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

1. More lies. Nobody has ever been banned for arguing, including you. 

2. Read the board a bit. There is plenty of credit being given to him for doing things the "right" way now, including the very title of this thread. 

Man, you really hate the guy. who do you hate more, me or Maccagnan?

1 minute ago, NoBowles said:

I'm pretty sure at least 16 of my 18 user names were banned for arguing. One other one was for retaliation towards you for telling me to take Sanchezs cock out of my mouth because I dared to say that others also shared blame at the disaster in addition to him, which obviously upset you. But you do carry a big stick. Boom!

I don't see any credit, I just see support. I think there's a difference. I've been researching and I still don't see it. Since I know you only post facts, just asking for some helpi finding those facts. Plus I really like seeing things get licked.

Lol nope. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

So "executive of the year" equates to winning football games.how so? 

Not at all but the moves he made were applauded by fans and fellow NFL execs. So at the time, the moves were sound and almost got the Jets to playoffs.

No one could foresee Revis's decline and injuries to Mangold, etc.

4 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Not at all but the moves he made were applauded by fans and fellow NFL execs. So at the time, the moves were sound and almost got the Jets to playoffs.

No one could foresee Revis's decline and injuries to Mangold, etc.

I know a few posters on here that would beg to differ .  There are some around here who have nothing to say until something is done and then they pounce . 

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Try to stay positive dude.....maybe the love for Mac will come :)

16 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Try to stay positive dude.....maybe the love for Mac will come :)

It would be awesome if he did a 180 and suddenly started exercising good judgment more than poor judgment. He's already here, so that is my preference. He just seems so over his head it's difficult to stay positive.

Idzik followed the right path as well.  If Mac does not 100% nail his early picks then like idzik he will fail. 

I'll judge him for what he does in fa and the draft.  He has shed dead wood but he has to replace it with prospect fa's or cheap stop gaps and he has to have a team changing draft.

12 hours ago, Jetster said:

I am 100% behind Maccs decision to blow it up & begin the NY Jets resurgence. While Brady & Belichick are up in New England & with the Jets playing in the same division you have to have to plan to build with young hungry players. Guys like Marshall, Decker, Clady, Mangold have been around long enough to know they have zero chance to succeed. Defeated before you even start.

Macc shouldn't even consider any older free agents, why? Build from the inside out, which I've always believed in, when you start with strong offensive & defensive lines you can at least compete. Once you do that you strengthen your defense at the backend. Trading back & getting a safety like Adams or Hooker, is a great start. 

The most important round of this upcoming draft might be the 3rd if we trade Sheldon & end up with 3 third round picks. In a deep draft that the meat of the draft where can build your football team. Hopefully we find that unicorn QB that propels you like the Seahawks did with Wilson. Each & every player the Jets have cut were flawed or long in the tooth. While Marshall played fantastic in 2015, his TD drop in New England forced them to win on the road in Buffalo. When's the last time you saw a Pats receiver drop an open TD in the endzone?

I personally think Macc has been pretty good at drafting & having all of his scouts in place 2017 draft will be our finest yet. Looking forward to seeing a young hungry team with speed compete & develop as the year progresses. We could have a worse year than 2016 & still see more hope for our future. NFL play has deteriorated & competing is easier than ever. Let's build the team that finally ruins the Pats run & their fans remember as the changing of the guard. 

How hasn't Mac been good with drafts? Devin smith? Bust. Petty bust, hack bust. Lee way not a 1st rounder, some picks aren't even here anymore 

Archived