Cimini says Beachum is going to play RT?!?!?

AFJF

So Cimini (who I don't hate nearly as much as most Jets fans) did a piece on the Jets O-line with the standard info and for the starting O-line he lists Ijalana as the LT and Beachum at RT.  Would they really give Bechum that kind of coin to play RT after the way Shell fininshed up last season?

IMO, it's Beachum on the left with Shell on the right.

This is the fifth installment of our position-by-position breakdown for the New York Jets as we head to the April 27-29 draft:

Position: Offensive line

Current personnel: Center -- Wesley Johnson (signed through 2017), Jonotthan Harrison (2017); Guard -- Brian Winters (2020), James Carpenter (2018), Dakota Dozier (2017), Brent Qvale (2017), Craig Watts (2017); Tackle -- Kelvin Beachum (2019), Ben Ijalana (2018), Brandon Shell (2019), Jeff Adams (2017), Donald Hawkins (2017).

Key newcomers: Beachum, Harrison.

Departures: C Nick Mangold (cut), RT Breno Giacomini (cut) and LT Ryan Clady (option not exercised).

Projected starters: LT Ijalana, LG Carpenter, C Johnson, RG Winters, RT Beachum.

Free-agent acquisition Kelvin Beachum is expected to help the Jets solidify the right tackle position in 2017. Logan Bowles/USA TODAY Sports

Overview: General manager Mike Maccagnan believes he "stabilized" the offensive line by adding Beachum and re-signing Winters and Ijalana. The offseason overhaul definitely made it a younger unit than last year, as the average age of the starters went from 29 to 27.2. But don't be fooled into thinking everything is peachy. Johnson is on a one-year contract and still is somewhat of an unknown (nine career starts). There's also some uncertainty regarding Beachum, whose surgically repaired knee (from 2015) still is a concern to some. Many figured he was signed to play left tackle, his position since 2013, but Beachum actually will start out at right tackle, according to coach Todd Bowles. Part of the thinking is that Ijalana made progress at left tackle and they don't want to move him. Beachum will compete with Shell, a 2016 draft pick, but we know how that will turn out. The Jets didn't give Beachum a $12 million guarantee to sit him on the bench.

The last lineman drafted: In 2016, they took Shell in the fifth round -- and they're still paying for it, meaning they traded a 2017 fourth-rounder to get him. Currently, they have no fourth-round picks. Shell showed some promise at the end of the season, but a tap of the brakes is in order. He got a lot of help in pass protection.

Potential targets: Maccagnan took care of business in free agency because he knows this isn't a great draft for offensive linemen. It wouldn't be a surprise if the Jets wait until Day 3 to address any needs, if then. They could use a center and a developmental tackle, but they haven't been linked to any of the top prospects in terms of private workouts and visits. Only five centers have draftable grades, according to Scouts, Inc. Perhaps if Pat Elflein (Ohio State) and Ethan Pocic (LSU) are still around in the third, when the Jets have two picks, they will give it some thought. Tackles Zach Banner (USC) and Julie'n Davenport (Bucknell) -- mid-round projections -- have received cursory interest from the Jets. It always helps to add young players to the pipeline, but they have so many other needs. This could be the first time since 2011 they don't draft an offensive lineman.

Need factor (based on a scale of 1 to 10) Center -- 6; guard -- 5; tackle -- 5.

This is how I see the 8 offensive lineman on the active game roster vs Buffalo

LT - Beachum - Ijalana
LG - Carpenter - Dozier
C - Johnson - Harrison
RG - Winters -  Dozier
RT  - Shell - Ijalana

Ijalana can play both tackles, Dozier can play tackle and guard, Harrison can play Center and Guard

Brent Qvale has to be right there in the mix for a roster spot as would a higher round draft pick

9 minutes ago, AFJF said:

So Cimini (who I don't hate nearly as much as most Jets fans) did a piece on the Jets O-line with the standard info and for the starting O-line he lists Ijalana as the LT and Beachum at RT.  Would they really give Bechum that kind of coin to play RT after the way Shell fininshed up last season?

IMO, it's Beachum on the left with Shell on the right.

This is the fifth installment of our position-by-position breakdown for the New York Jets as we head to the April 27-29 draft:

Position: Offensive line

Current personnel: Center -- Wesley Johnson (signed through 2017), Jonotthan Harrison (2017); Guard -- Brian Winters (2020), James Carpenter (2018), Dakota Dozier (2017), Brent Qvale (2017), Craig Watts (2017); Tackle -- Kelvin Beachum (2019), Ben Ijalana (2018), Brandon Shell (2019), Jeff Adams (2017), Donald Hawkins (2017).

Key newcomers: Beachum, Harrison.

Departures: C Nick Mangold (cut), RT Breno Giacomini (cut) and LT Ryan Clady (option not exercised).

Projected starters: LT Ijalana, LG Carpenter, C Johnson, RG Winters, RT Beachum.

Free-agent acquisition Kelvin Beachum is expected to help the Jets solidify the right tackle position in 2017. Logan Bowles/USA TODAY Sports

Overview: General manager Mike Maccagnan believes he "stabilized" the offensive line by adding Beachum and re-signing Winters and Ijalana. The offseason overhaul definitely made it a younger unit than last year, as the average age of the starters went from 29 to 27.2. But don't be fooled into thinking everything is peachy. Johnson is on a one-year contract and still is somewhat of an unknown (nine career starts). There's also some uncertainty regarding Beachum, whose surgically repaired knee (from 2015) still is a concern to some. Many figured he was signed to play left tackle, his position since 2013, but Beachum actually will start out at right tackle, according to coach Todd Bowles. Part of the thinking is that Ijalana made progress at left tackle and they don't want to move him. Beachum will compete with Shell, a 2016 draft pick, but we know how that will turn out. The Jets didn't give Beachum a $12 million guarantee to sit him on the bench.

The last lineman drafted: In 2016, they took Shell in the fifth round -- and they're still paying for it, meaning they traded a 2017 fourth-rounder to get him. Currently, they have no fourth-round picks. Shell showed some promise at the end of the season, but a tap of the brakes is in order. He got a lot of help in pass protection.

Potential targets: Maccagnan took care of business in free agency because he knows this isn't a great draft for offensive linemen. It wouldn't be a surprise if the Jets wait until Day 3 to address any needs, if then. They could use a center and a developmental tackle, but they haven't been linked to any of the top prospects in terms of private workouts and visits. Only five centers have draftable grades, according to Scouts, Inc. Perhaps if Pat Elflein (Ohio State) and Ethan Pocic (LSU) are still around in the third, when the Jets have two picks, they will give it some thought. Tackles Zach Banner (USC) and Julie'n Davenport (Bucknell) -- mid-round projections -- have received cursory interest from the Jets. It always helps to add young players to the pipeline, but they have so many other needs. This could be the first time since 2011 they don't draft an offensive lineman.

Need factor (based on a scale of 1 to 10) Center -- 6; guard -- 5; tackle -- 5.

well that is just because he read my thread

The classic Cimini BS from that article is the jab that the Jets are still paying for Shell but minimizing his good play at the end of the season. And that doesn't even count Macc's stated rationale that he thought we'd be getting a 4th round compensatory pick in 2017 which actually turned into a 3rd 

Anything Cimini can spin to sound negative, he's all over it. That's the game he plays. He feeds the trolls and there aren't enough knowledgeable fans or media to counter it 

this is one of those questions that will settle itself after one of the two "starters" gets hurt

there's no way both Ijalana and Beachum make it through 16 games

that being said the Jets need an OL to develop, perhaps with that comp 3 pick. 

1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

The classic Cimini BS from that article is the jab that the Jets are still paying for Shell but minimizing his good play at the end of the season. And that doesn't even count Macc's stated rationale that he thought we'd be getting a 4th round compensatory pick in 2017 which actually turned into a 3rd 

Anything Cimini can spin to sound negative, he's all over it. That's the game he plays. He feeds the trolls and there aren't enough knowledgeable fans or media to counter it 

That "stated rationale" makes less sense than anything that idiot Cimini wrote.  How does getting a comp pick change the value of the player or the two picks?  He was either worth them or he wasn't.  

I can see complaining that he minimized Shell's good play at the end of last season, but I don't have a problem with that because I think many around here overstate it. 

Wait, does this mean we're supposed to still repeatedly list Shell as one of Maccagnan's top 5 accomplishments? In order to stay off the bench he has to rely upon Ijalana being even worse, Beachum getting injured again, and/or the Jets staying away from the tackle position(s) in the draft. #awesomesauce

I don't dislike Shell at all, but this is why it's a huge reach to give him kudos for players that haven't yet accomplished anything. Burris is another, as is Peake. In all honesty, so is Anderson, whom I like as well. But these guys have been talked up like they're not just locks to start, but like they're already sure things as really good starters. Meanwhile now it looks like, at least to start out, he's sitting so Ben Ijalana can play.

Fun piece of trivia (and no they're not the end-all of assessments), but in PFF's LT ranking for 2016: Ijalana, Beachum, and Maccagnan's first choice Clady were all similarly ranked at the bottom of the pile. Their grades were all in the 60s. #funtimes

14 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Fun piece of trivia (and no they're not the end-all of assessments), but in PFF's LT ranking for 2016: Ijalana, Beachum, and Maccagnan's first choice Clady were all similarly ranked at the bottom of the pile. Their grades were all in the 60s. #funtimes

Remember when Brick's contract was considered an albatross? #funtimes

Turns out a player that never misses a snap in 10 years was worth the cash. 

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Wait, does this mean we're supposed to still repeatedly list Shell as one of Maccagnan's top 5 accomplishments? In order to stay off the bench he has to rely upon Ijalana being even worse, Beachum getting injured again, and/or the Jets staying away from the tackle position(s) in the draft. #awesomesauce

I don't dislike Shell at all, but this is why it's a huge reach to give him kudos for players that haven't yet accomplished anything. Burris is another, as is Peake. In all honesty, so is Anderson, whom I like as well. But these guys have been talked up like they're not just locks to start, but like they're already sure things as really good starters. Meanwhile now it looks like, at least to start out, he's sitting so Ben Ijalana can play.

What is your point? They are all rookies from 1 draft.  When was the last time 4 rookies from 1 draft taken in 4th,5th,7th,and UDFA shown so much promise?...how many teams in NFL have same production from those picks? What are the odds of success from those 4 picks?

Soj fan mentality

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Remember when Brick's contract was considered an albatross? #funtimes

Turns out a player that never misses a snap in 10 years was worth the cash. 

Nope. Brick's contract, in his last years, was way too high for his production. Just because he's playing doesn't mean he was an asset at that money, or that it was the best use of the amount. 

1 hour ago, SickJetFan said:

What is your point? They are all rookies from 1 draft.  When was the last time 4 rookies from 1 draft taken in 4th,5th,7th,and UDFA shown so much promise?...how many teams in NFL have same production from those picks? What are the odds of success from those 4 picks?

Soj fan mentality

The point is obvious. People bending over backwards to defend a general manager are citing prospects, who haven't turned into anything yet, as though they were already praiseworthy. They are not.

That is the other sojf mentality: believing that our backup players and meh or fingers-crossed prospects are the the stuff of bragging rights and accomplishments.

Who's shown "so much promise"?

• Burris? The guy who got burned and outrun by a 3rd string TE, and his lone pick came solely because of a pass badly underthrown by the 3 yards Burris lagged behind?
  • Peake was supposed to be this great value in round 7, and maybe he will be good, but the same was said about Reilly a couple years earlier. He was solidly behind 21 yr old Jalin Marshall and, for all the kudos some give, he was pretty unproductive as a rookie.
  • Shell cost this year's 4th rounder (pick 7 in that round), and it now seems they re-signed Ijalana and then signed Beachum (both coming off really bad seasons) to keep Shell on the bench.
  • Then there's Anderson. I like Anderson plenty as well, but he needs some polishing (and bulk). He isn't yet nearly as accomplished of an UDFA as the NT he let go in '16, instead of locking up in '15.  

I do like a couple of these kids, but you and others are vastly overestimating every one of them as though they've all already arrived. It's also very possible none of them becomes a regular starter beyond injury fill-in duty.

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The point is obvious. People bending over backwards to defend a general manager are citing prospects, who haven't turned into anything yet, as though they were already praiseworthy. They are not.

That is the other sojf mentality: believing that our backup players and meh or fingers-crossed prospects are the the stuff of bragging rights and accomplishments.

Who's shown "so much promise"?

• Burris? The guy who got burned and outrun by a 3rd string TE, and his lone pick came solely because of a pass badly underthrown by the 3 yards Burris lagged behind?
  • Peake was supposed to be this great value in round 7, and maybe he will be good, but the same was said about Reilly a couple years earlier. He was solidly behind 21 yr old Jalin Marshall and, for all the kudos some give, he was pretty unproductive as a rookie.
  • Shell cost this year's 4th rounder (pick 7 in that round), and it now seems they re-signed Ijalana and then signed Beachum (both coming off really bad seasons) to keep Shell on the bench.
  • Then there's Anderson. I like Anderson plenty as well, but he needs some polishing (and bulk). He isn't yet nearly as accomplished of an UDFA as the NT he let go in '16, instead of locking up in '15.  

I do like a couple of these kids, but you and others are vastly overestimating every one of them as though they've all already arrived. It's also very possible none of them becomes a regular starter beyond injury fill-in duty.

Lol give me a break ...I am not getting into another long winded debate with you again...no changing your mind and you are not changing mine but I will say you talk out both sides of your mouth.

In one side you argue what a horrible job Macc is doing 

While from out the other end you argue it is too soon to know whether his picks are successful yet even though you admittedly like them

So apparently he is a sh*tty gm making picks that are sure to fail because Cimini told you 1 of them will...lol 

20 hours ago, bitonti said:

this is one of those questions that will settle itself after one of the two "starters" gets hurt

there's no way both Ijalana and Beachum make it through 16 games

that being said the Jets need an OL to develop, perhaps with that comp 3 pick. 

The Jet OL, with basically 4 swing tackles, is passable.  Barely, but passable.  They are also generally signed for awhile   

When taking into account who is going to be on the team in 2018, the Jets basically have NO S, NO CB and no TE.   Those are plentiful in this draft.  I would keep drafting those.

Cimini has no clue, and if we attempt to move Shell to LT it would be an enormous mistake.  The kid has excelled on the right side in college and the 3 games he played as a starter last year.  At the same time, he had a very average year as a college LT and a horrendous preseason as a LT on the Jets.  This all while he flat out said that he is much more comfortable as a player on the right side.  We should keep him there, give him some competition in TC and hope that he grabs hold of the job and the position for us on the right side.

As for Ijalan/beachem there are 2 ways to invest in your Oline - spend a lot of money on a star player (ie Brick/Mangold) and fill in around them, OR invest that money across the line as a whole, without paying anyone a huge contract.  We dont have a Brick or Joe Thomas to pay, so instead we resigned winters, and paid Ijlana more then a regular backup, but did so because we saw him give decent play at both tackle spots last year, he is young, and the staff knows his personality/character.  Investing in a guy who can come in at LT or RT if necessary, and not be a complete abomination isnt bad cap management.  Especially when the other LT we have, also isnt paid a ton of money and is also someone we hope has upside.

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think we're supposed to wait and see what happens as opposed to believing a Cimini fluff piece in April.  Well, that's what I'm gonna' do anyway.

14 minutes ago, section314 said:

Ijalana and Johnson are bums. We will draft a center this year who will start, and Ijalna maybe makes the team as a backup.

We will likely draft a Center.  I believe that we are better off with an Eflein for the next 4 years than SR for one year.  It would be nice to trade SR and use the pick for a center.

With our existing first 4 picks, we need a S, CB, TE and RB.

Just now, varjet said:

We will likely draft a Center.  I believe that we are better off with an Eflein for the next 4 years than SR for one year.  It would be nice to trade SR and use the pick for a center.

With our existing first 4 picks, we need a S, CB, TE and RB.

Make that either 2 Ss or 2 CBs.  

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Qvale the 4th Swing tackle? Cause that might be an overstatement 

Donald Hawkins? 

Yes.  I actually thought Qvale played RT ok when he was rotating with Ijalana.

But then again, no one is saying that this is a great OL.  It is just passing professional grade and could be in 2018.  The Secondary may not be that in 2017 and will not be in 2018, unless it gets a substantial injection in the 2017 draft.

3 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

Lol give me a break ...I am not getting into another long winded debate with you again...no changing your mind and you are not changing mine but I will say you talk out both sides of your mouth.

In one side you argue what a horrible job Macc is doing 

While from out the other end you argue it is too soon to know whether his picks are successful yet even though you admittedly like them

So apparently he is a sh*tty gm making picks that are sure to fail because Cimini told you 1 of them will...lol 

You're the one who chose to respond.

I said I like a couple of them. Likiing or disliking something about a prospect he's brought in doesn't make them good NFL players. That's not a logical conclusion. I can like a player and also recognize he hasn't done anything yet and may never do anything in the future. But yeah, I'm sure his conveying what Bowles told him is less reliable than your personal opinion based on blind wishes.

I think it's ridiculous the rationalization over what a wonderful job he's done, and most of the "best" reasons why are backup players that may never start.

Your attempt at rewording my opinion is as ridiculous as the kudos you give him for being a huge failure and a dumbass. My words are poetry. Your failed attempt to reword them into meaning something they don't is like pissing on a Rembrandt. 

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

I think we're supposed to wait and see what happens as opposed to believing a Cimini fluff piece in April.  Well, that's what I'm gonna' do anyway.

All he did was tell readers what Bowles told him. If it was just his personal opinion, that would be completely different, and would carry no weight.

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

All he did was tell readers what Bowles told him. If it was just his personal opinion, that would be completely different, and would carry no weight.

Bowles told him that?  I totally missed that when I read the article.

Archived