Now is the time to trade McCown

Pennington

1 minute ago, ChuckkieB said:

There's really nothing to debate here. The Jets would rather have Bortles any day of the week and twice on Sunday!  Regardless of the stats, Bortlles has something that McCown doesn't - UPSIDE. 

True, I'd agree there's a bit more upside to having Bortles over McCown, but this is Bortles 4th year starting, and in preseason it was looking like it might be his last in Jax. I think it's safe to say that he is what he is, and that is someone who CAN make big plays with his arm (and some really great targets to throw to) but he'll always end up making some bone-head mistakes a la Sanchez. My brother is a Jags fan and says that Bortles will seem like he's poised to put it all together and break out in a season, but always ends up falling on his face.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Pennington said:

He is every bit as good as Bortles, Hundley, and Stanton and those teams consider themelves playoff contenders. 

hes 38 years old and no one is trading for him and the Jets are not going to be stuck with 2 QB's it seems they feel can't be competent. That's not to say the Jets are right and that's not to say I would not LOVE to trade McCown its simply not happening

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It is rational to think that the Cards or Packers would look for a stop gap to win enough games if they think Palmer or Rodgers is coming back.  Doubt it would be McCown.  Not sure why the Jags would go to McCown over Bortles. The salary theory is okay, but they are making a run now and there is more chance that Bortles or Henne steps up Flacco style than McCown plays competent ball. 

@Spoot-Face posted the stats and McCown has 40% more INT and more than double the sacks.  It's nice that McCown's other numbers are good, but those numbers don't help you win with defense.  Sunday being a prime example.

That is true. For the record, I'm not saying that McCown > Bortles, or that I even believe that Jax or anyone would trade for him. I do not. I'd like for that to happen, but I don't expect it. My only point was that IF Bortles is better than McCown, than it ain't by much (I looked up the stats for my own edification and was surprised to see how similar they are).  I will say that it is quite telling, though, that a 38-year old career backup has been trusted to throw more this season than a 25-year former overall #3 pick with a big arm in his 4th season.

Just now, Smashmouth said:

hes 38 years old and no one is trading for him and the Jets are not going to be stuck with 2 QB's it seems they feel can't be competent. That's not to say the Jets are right and that's not to say I would not LOVE to trade McCown its simply not happening

^This

6 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

True, I'd agree there's a bit more upside to having Bortles over McCown, but this is Bortles 4th year starting, and in preseason it was looking like it might be his last in Jax. I think it's safe to say that he is what he is, and that is someone who CAN make big plays with his arm (and some really great targets to throw to) but he'll always end up making some bone-head mistakes a la Sanchez. My brother is a Jags fan and says that Bortles will seem like he's poised to put it all together and break out in a season, but always ends up falling on his face.

Sometimes, guys like Bortles (who reminds me of an early Vinny Testaverde gun slinger Int Machine) under the right coach will make a turn and learn to protect the football. Vinny did it with Parcells with 29 TD's and 7 ints ... time will tell but in todays impatient NFL theres no way Bortles stays in Jax if he continues to sh*t the bed

2 minutes ago, chirorob said:

McCown does not know anyone's offense.  You are 2 months into the season, there is no way he can help them.

And, he's not good.

Maybe, maybe you get a conditional 8th for him.   Maybe

McCown is the spitting Image of Bortles ...play great for 3 quarters then completely and totally sh*t the bed in the other quarter, Sometimes he fails  early sometimes he fails late but he always fails at some point. McCown's stats may say hes playing okay, he has a nice completion percentage but he has points in the game where you just have to shake your head. Also McCown has single handedly lost us 2 games this year and that transcends any stats you can show me.

7 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

That is true. For the record, I'm not saying that McCown > Bortles, or that I even believe that Jax or anyone would trade for him. I do not. I'd like for that to happen, but I don't expect it. My only point was that IF Bortles is better than McCown, than it ain't by much (I looked up the stats for my own edification and was surprised to see how similar they are).  I will say that it is quite telling, though, that a 38-year old career backup has been trusted to throw more this season than a 25-year former overall #3 pick with a big arm in his 4th season.

Leonard Fournette.

16 minutes ago, chirorob said:

McCown does not know anyone's offense.  You are 2 months into the season, there is no way he can help them.

And, he's not good.

Maybe, maybe you get a conditional 8th for him.   Maybe

How about a back-rub and a 25$ gift certificate to Starbucks?

18 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

I will say that it is quite telling, though, that a 38-year old career backup has been trusted to throw more this season than a 25-year former overall #3 pick with a big arm in his 4th season.

It might not be that telling.  They did lose Allen Robinson week 1 and having drafted Fournette with Ivory and Yeldon, it makes sense to go run heavy.  Especially with that D.

15 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Sometimes, guys like Bortles (who reminds me of an early Vinny Testaverde gun slinger Int Machine) under the right coach will make a turn and learn to protect the football. Vinny did it with Parcells with 29 TD's and 7 ints ... time will tell but in todays impatient NFL theres no way Bortles stays in Jax if he continues to sh*t the bed

Yeah. Bortles certainly has the physical tools to be a great QB, but I feel his days in Jax are numbered. A strong performance in the playoffs may be the only thing that saves him there. If not, he'll certainly get a chance elsewhere.

12 minutes ago, section314 said:

Leonard Fournette.

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It might not be that telling.  They did lose Allen Robinson week 1 and having drafted Fournette with Ivory and Yeldon, it makes sense to go run heavy.  Especially with that D.

Good point on Robinson. That certainly changed the look of their offense. It'd be like if we lost both ASJ and Kearse.

BUT, I'd counter-argue by pointing out that it's quite telling that a team would rather mold their offense around a running game (Fournette or not), instead of their big-armed, overall #3 picked QB who's in his 4th season. If this was still year 2 for Bortles, than sure, ease him into the game and protect him with a strong run game, but they picked him that high so that he could be dictating games with his arm by now, not simply supplementing the game with his arm.

1 hour ago, Pennington said:

I agree that the Jets are too stupid to make a move like this but I think Jacksonville or Arizona would consider giving us a pick for McCown.

Your out of your mind. First off even though he's been in umpteen offensive systems he would have to learn yet another. Why would the Jags or Cards go for that when they have backups who already know their system . And on top of that you want them to throw us in a pick as well.

37 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

McCown is the spitting Image of Bortles ...play great for 3 quarters then completely and totally sh*t the bed in the other quarter, Sometimes he fails  early sometimes he fails late but he always fails at some point. McCown's stats may say hes playing okay, he has a nice completion percentage but he has points in the game where you just have to shake your head. Also McCown has single handedly lost us 2 games this year and that transcends any stats you can show me.

But, he gives us the best chance to be in the game for 40 minutes.

17 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Does that $25 count towards next year's cap?

Yes, but only for UFA's who are Starbucks employees.

18 minutes ago, chirorob said:

who is giving the back rub?  

Whoever walks by the other GM's office door when Macc calls.

1 hour ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

In his best of years, he had a 6-7 record as a starting QB. What GM in their right mind wants a shopworn Josh McCown?

A GM who works with a HC that can't develop his own QB and needs a plain label acme hack that was semi-baked by 9 other teams.

I'd have no problem with it. Except they wouldn't get much in return not enough to make it worth their while. There would be buyers due to all of the injuries of Qbs. And McCown has been with so many teams that his transition to a new system wouldn't take him that long. And he's a better option than most available Qbs. But even if they got a 4th round pick (and I don't think they would) that basically was Petty's original value and he isn't worth that now on the open market. I wouldn't trade for a 5th to a 7th. 

1 hour ago, Pennington said:

Listen I don't want McCown on this team and starting any more than you do but your belief that he wouldn't be in the league at all if the Jets didn't sign him is completely wrong.

No its right, if not on the NY Jets not on 31 other NFL teams. 

6 minutes ago, August said:

Yeah they'll trade for McCown and then bench Bortles. How ridiculous does that sound? 

Have you actually watched Bortles play because he sucks every bit as much as McCown does. Now picture you have Bortles getting injured and missing the 2018 season; there goes 19 million dollars on a guy you would have looked to replace next offseason anyway.

It would be worth it to a team who is a contender but has no true starting option at Qb if their starter is injured. If they think they could win with McCown. His value to them would be higher than to a lower rung team. In other words if it takes them to the playoffs it would be a pick well spent. What would you rather have a 3rd round pick or a better chance at making the playoffs. (I know I shouldn't ask a question like that on this site--but the answer is: chance at making the playoffs). Plus this season almost any team who qualifies for the playoffs has a real chance to go to the SB. There is no clear cut favorite. 

Archived