Baseball

New York Yankees forum, New York Mets talk. Everything MLB goes here.

10,763 topics in this forum

• 3 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 20 replies
    • 4 replies
  1. Chien-Ming Wang

• 1 reply
    • 13 replies
    • 17 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 32 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 2 replies
  2. John Rocker

• 4 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 6 replies
  3. Arod is a Monster

• 12 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 15 replies
    • 3 replies
  4. Schilling placed on DL

• 5 replies
    • 9 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 6 replies
  5. Yanks salute Jeter

• 13 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 1 reply
  6. Arod!!!

• 0 replies
  7. Cashman is great!

• 12 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 9 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 11 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 20 replies

• So I did watch it on YouTube (or anyway, Wilson's possessions). All I knew before was his only pick was a Hail Mary as time expired in the first half, and that last pass that came up 1 yard short. I am NOT solidly in the draft-him corner. I'd still rather pool that pick with a couple others (if such a deal can be made) for Watson. I'm not against it either; I just don't haven't seen enough of him to say he's omg must draft. Anyway this is now the only game of his I've watched from beginning to end. It wasn't the train wreck it's made out to be by a long shot. Don't worry about how long this is; mostly it was me just making notes as I watched since my memory often stinks. There's a summary at the end, but if anyone cares to read this here anyway, since skimming this is still way-faster than watching: 1st half: 1st possession: started on its own 9, then backed up to the 4 on a holding penalty that erased a 91-yard TD pass. If his TE could hold a block for just 1 second without holding then it's a TD. On a 3rd & 8 Wilson ran for 18 yards (he has to learn to slide; his pretty little head will get separated from his body at the next level). All three 1st incompletions after the erased TD pass were under immediate/heavy pass rush. Drive died after a 3rd & 5 handoff run was stuffed for a loss. Punt.  CC scored on a 94 yd TD drive that ate up 9 min of clock basically to the end of the 1st quarter.  2nd possession: BYU TD. The only 2 Wilson plays were a 12-yard run after a pump fake with one defender between him & some open running room, and a 16-yard pass (receiver was open but Wilson led him well), before a 42-yd RB rushing TD. 3rd possession: run, then a backward sideline double-pass/option called, then another run, then a called double-pass on 4th & 1 Wilson hit his WR in the breadbox for a would-be 25-yard gain to CC's 25 but his receiver flat-out dropped it. Turnover on downs at midfield, and CC scored a TD on that next drive. 4th possession: BYU TD. The 41-yard TD pass probably should've just been a 10-15 yard sideline completion. Blown coverage on his #1 WR with no one within 7 yards of him when the pass arrived. Then 3 defenders on him and 2 more past him on the RAC and no one so much as shoved him out of bounds, let alone wrapped him up. I think they thought he stepped OOB so they gave up on the play even though the whistle hadn't blown. Hard to give Wilson too much credit for that TD, but I don't know what else he's supposed to do on that drive to make up for it; I mean, it's a TD. 5th possession: He did fumble without getting hit while rolling to his left (recovered it himself) by holding the ball too low while running & his knee hit the ball, knocking it out. Erased it with a nice running throw across his body on 3rd & 14 for a 21-yd 1st down. Next incomplete pass he was hit as he was throwing. Then came Wilson's lone pick (and one of just 3 he threw all season): a 60-yard Hail Mary with the clock expiring at the half, not an errant pass. After that pick, edge rusher Gunter on CC tackled & bashed Wilson's head into the turf; then after Wilson got up he outright tackled him & did it again; then tackled him a 3rd time incl a forearm to Wilson's neck after that). In the NFL that would've gotten him suspended for the rest of the season; here he wasn't even tossed from the game. Was almost Haynesworth-level dirty, though I admit it was amusing seeing 40 Mormons rush to the field & act like they were going to rumble. More likely they sang the Hello! song to Coastal's players once they actually got out there.  2nd half: 6th possession: Drive stalled on CC's 12. BYU FG. On it #94 Gunter with a late hit OOB. Plenty of time on 1st down pass for 23 yds; pass on the money but his receiver was also wide open over the middle. Then quick pass for another 5 as called. 3rd & 5 designed keeper & defender Gunter had him dead to rights with no blocker. Honestly pretty weak play calling at the end rather than poor play. FG. 7th possession: BYU RB Allgeier fumbled on 1st play of the drive on his own 29. Free FG for CC. 8th possession: 1st play plenty of time, 52-yard pass (65 yards of air) hits his WR Romney (yes, related to Mitt) in the gut & he drops another (though if caught it would've been one-handed because his left arm was locked up by CC's top corner; coverage was that tight; but the throw was right there). Next pass attempt under early pressure. A little behind the receiver but still hit his hands & should've been caught. Next play designed option, just a 2-yd run. Then a 16-yd pass on 3rd & 8 was a little low but good enough. Next play throws it fast under pressure for 2-yd gain (gotta say he's got a quick windup when he needs to). 2nd & 8 two rushers came in unblocked on a play action (nothing he could do), making it 3rd & 20. Punt. CC scored the go-ahead TD on the ensuing drive. 9th possession: first series Wilson throws 1st down pass on 2nd & 7. Next series on 2nd & 10 Wilson again flushed out of the pocket & completed a short pass which should've been for a short gain. Instead his receiver Jackson broke one tackle but then figured he could run around everyone, and ran 20 yards backwards from midfield & got tackled on his own 30. So a would-be 3rd & 6 turned into 3rd & 26. Noting it because that not only killed any scoring chances on that drive, but it also subtracted about 20 yards from Wilson's yardage stats (plus any other yards that would've followed). Punt. 10th possession: 1st down short completed pass, then 2 handoffs (the latter getting stuffed for a loss). Punt. Crazy 11th & final possession, on a drive that began on his 18 then further backed up to BYU's 9 after a 1st down holding penalty, then an incomplete pass made it 2nd & 19 from BYU's own 9 with 35 seconds left. Somehow got downfield and on the last pass came 1 yard shy of the game-winning TD.  So if you don't want to read all that (and I'll find out who skipped it and using site analytics & geofencing data I will come find you all): Wilson had a long TD taken away on a holding penalty; had another drive taken away when his WR dropped a 1st down pass on CC's 25; had another drive taken away due to his receiver running backwards 20 yards after the catch; and still came within 1 yard of a game winning TD pass at the end. Also in between a handful of snaps where he had plenty of time, an early pass rusher or blitzer (or a couple guys) got through very quickly to pressure him quickly on most pass attempts. Whatever people say about the Jets' OL all year long, this performance was noticeably worse on balance. His average time nowhere near the crappy average 2.5 seconds-to-pressure Darnold had in 2020. Not a banner day for Wilson, just looking at the numbers for his other games last year, but after actually watching the game it was hardly because of him crapping the bed like people repeat after looking at the final score or the box score. A couple of his worst throws were still caught or good enough to be caught anyway. Admittedly this is again the only game of his I've ever seen. My issue is there isn't a lot more footage of him under this type of duress for a whole game. He's not going to face Texas State or Troy at the next level. Wilson may very well be Trubisky II in the NFL, but he really didn't look bad here and this was supposedly his worst game of the season.
    • The Jets are not as bad or worse than 2020 Houston, though. Houston had Watson, two good WRs (one of whom missed the last 5 games), Watt, and Tunsil. I wouldn't trade QW for Watt, nor Becton for Tunsil; Watson is the one we're talking about; so really it's just the two outside WRs who've always benefitted from the good fortune of playing with upper-level productive QBs themselves.  I don't think we're just a few players away from being a realistic playoff team, but we're not a dozen players away either. Even most playoff teams have multiple weaker players (like 4/5 of KC's offensive line, which became 5/5 for the super bowl).   In terms of absolute need (not just want) if the Jets did have Watson? One starting WR. It may be Juju because the tag is so low it's so far looking like the other 3 all stick with their 2020 teams. We'll know in a week.  One iOL FA. Linsley or either of the two big-name guards. But there are others available. [Another can be a draft pick competing with last year's plus incumbent veterans, and/or another lower-cost FA. My guess from how JD's gone about things is he wants to leave room for one of his OL picks to be a low-cost veteran or mid/late round draftee, and that doesn't happen if he goes all-in on a FA or high pick 5-across. I'd like to upgrade from Fant, too, but that's a want not an immediate need; if they could do a swap of him for Daryl Williams it would add more guarantees but in dollars wouldn't cost more & I wouldn't get angry at Douglas over it.] One RB from round 3 or later and/or a lower-cost FA. I think they're fine with rotating fresh legs at the position rather than one big-name back. TE I'd like to swap a different veteran to replace Griffin. Maybe it's desire talking, but I think Herndon will do much better than last year if he's the starter again. So in terms of true need, on offense that's what, 3-4 starters so far? (WR, iOL, RB and/or TE). The first two are significant, no doubt, but I think he's going to try adding those pieces in FA whether we have those 1st round picks or not. Unless he's locked into Smith at #2 he's not heading into the draft with the hole he has now at the position. If they can add a serious veteran WR and iOL, and the rest are merely complementary-sounding names, I think this can still be a high scoring offense. Despite some fans' desires to devote this whole draft to the offense, the D needs much more help than the offense in terms of individual position starters. I'd see what it would cost to re-sign Hewitt & think he could play OLB when Mosely returns. Hopefully this isn't another that should've been extended before. I'm not going to cry over it if we lose him, though; he was fine but is of course very replaceable.  Drop H.Anderson. Let Jenkins go if someone else is offering him starter money, otherwise I think he's fine depth.  They definitely need two edge/ends and another OLB, but there should be plenty available in FA this year. Despite the ACL, I think they'll look at Dupree; he was already walking with a brace in mid-January (about 5-6 weeks after tearing it). Reddick is coming off a monster season for Arizona & they just gave big money to Watt, and can't overextend themselves with Hopkins's cap number about to skyrocket next year. Okwara is another I think they'll look at. Arizona's Golden is also due to become a UFA. They may take a shot on Solomon Thomas. Olivier Vernon is older but he's still very solid. Leonard Floyd finally had a double-digit sack season but LA blitzed him like crazy so I'd worry that absent doing so he'd be just-ok again. Then of course there are other bigger names like Barrett & Judon but they sound likely to stay where they are.  I think they've got some good pieces in the secondary. I wouldn't turn away a stud corner, and the team has to spend on someone in FA, but I don't think Davis reached his peak as a rookie. Maye's already been tagged. I think Guidry could be a reg NB if they can't re-sign Poole. Hall looked good for a rookie who missed the first half of his first season after an offseason of no minicamp & very limited full-team camp before he went on IR. Decent chance they bring in Sherman until they feel more confident in one of the younger starters. That's another 4 (call it 5 with Hewitt). But again, no matter what they're bringing in these players in FA anyway; they're not heading into the draft holes to fill no matter how many 1st round picks the team has.  And even though I'm willing to fork over more than you are, it's not like they won't have any draft picks left for 2 more years. They'll still have most of them, plus an extra 2 (or whatever Darnold's worth) and an extra 3 this year.  Anyway the above is all without even drafting anybody, and the Jets will still draft several players per year. I'm not of the opinion that it's hopeless if we don't make such a trade - far, far from it - but if it's not anything like the insanity that's been leaked through Houston's beat writer, I'm still very much in favor of it. And your punishment is I expect you to read all this lol. There will be a test on Friday.
    • This is not last season's draft.  Barrow and Herbert were clear starting prospects.  This year is Lawrence and Sewell.  Picks 3 - 15 are similar.  I do not think that any of the other QB prospects are worthy of a top 10 choice. 
  • Today's Birthdays

1. asdf221
      asdf221
      (77 years old)
    2. BroadwayBlue
      BroadwayBlue
      (29 years old)
    3. calvin.carl
      calvin.carl
      (43 years old)
    4. CanadianJet
      CanadianJet