Robert Mathis???

jetfan718

According to Adam Schefter there's Rumor swirling around that the JETS might try to trade a fourth rounder for him. Highly doubtful imo, he's a 4-3 DE, even though we do use 4-3 fronts. Bbut how would he fair in a 3-4 system when he's been playing in a 4-3 for his entire career?

According to Adam Schefter there's Rumor swirling around that the JETS might try to trade a fourth rounder for him. Highly doubtful imo, he's a 4-3 DE, even though we do use 4-3 fronts. Bbut how would he fair in a 3-4 system when he's been playing in a 4-3 for his entire career?

Yeah but he's small for a DE...think he's only like 6-2 245.

Surprised the Colts would do this...Freeney and Mathis are a serious duo.

Yeah but he's small for a DE...think he's only like 6-2 145.

Surprised the Colts would do this...Freeney and Mathis are a serious duo.

I don't know this, but I'm guessing Mathis is in the last year of his deal. If that's the case, they probably realize this season's over for them already anyway, so might as well get something for him now before losing him in FA.

I wonder with MTV coming up and Eddie Jones going to practice squad along with this rumor if w are going to run a little more 4-3?

Yup.

Fix the run defense. The thing I love most about having Rex here, every week he can trot out a completely different defense if he wants... last week at the Pats I was reading he implemented pressure schemes in the style of Mike Nolan and Wade Phillips just for that game.

Mangini was never able to tweak the D, he had one trick and just tried to force it to work every time. Sorta like what Schotty does with the offense.

No. give up a 4th rounder for essentially 10 games of pass rush? He's FA next season and will cost a crapload to keep. Even if we can resign him, it'll be one more bloated FA contract to absorb when we need help in other areas. Areas where we didn't just spend our two highest draft picks this year. Kenrick Ellis must be developed. Mo Wilkerson is already starting. If you need a rush that bad you should've addressed it before August. If you're going to trade for an established vet, make it an o lineman and salvage this season.

I don't know this, but I'm guessing Mathis is in the last year of his deal. If that's the case, they probably realize this season's over for them already anyway, so might as well get something for him now before losing him in FA.

Good point.

Holy crap JiF Mathis only weighs 145 Lbs?

Damn!!!

Typo. 245

He's 30 years old, same age as Calvin Pace, but one thing is for sure; Mathis can pressure opposing quarterbacks.

This wouldn't be the same situation as a player such as Gholston going from a college 4-3 DE to a 3-4 NFL OLB, Mathis has proven, over the years, on an NFL level, that he's able to pass rush the quarterback like a bat out of hell. I'm pretty sure he'll be able to rush the quarterback from a stand up position at the LOS. Now, I don't like the idea of Mathis dropping back into coverage, but hopefully we'd be able to make it work.

He's 30 years old, same age as Calvin Pace, but one thing is for sure; Mathis can pressure opposing quarterbacks.

This wouldn't be the same situation as a player such as Gholston going from a college 4-3 DE to a 3-4 NFL OLB, Mathis has proven, over the years, on an NFL level, that he's able to pass rush the quarterback like a bat out of hell. I'm pretty sure he'll be able to rush the quarterback from a stand up position at the LOS. Now, I don't like the idea of Mathis dropping back into coverage, but hopefully we'd be able to make it work.

Designated pass rusher

I love how people can complain about this. We need a pass rusher! We need a pass rusher! A pass rusher for a 4th? It's a one year rental and how can we find our depth?

Mathis would walk right on and take Maybin's place. Even if he can't play any standup OLB he's a fairly major upgrade over Maybin and would be a valid game day active every week. I don't think Maybin has rushed from a standup position twice this season and I'm sure Mathis won't go quite so far outside so running against him on 3rd and long won't be so ridiculously (redickulously?) easy.

I'm sure this is a bullsh*t rumor, but I'd take it.

I love how people can complain about this. We need a pass rusher! We need a pass rusher! A pass rusher for a 4th? It's a one year rental and how can we find our depth?

Mathis would walk right on and take Maybin's place. Even if he can't play any standup OLB he's a fairly major upgrade over Maybin and would be a valid game day active every week. I don't think Maybin has rushed from a standup position twice this season and I'm sure Mathis won't go quite so far outside so running against him on 3rd and long won't be so ridiculously (redickulously?) easy.

I'm sure this is a bullsh*t rumor, but I'd take it.

Exactly. Good post.

After losing Bryan Thomas, an upgrade at OLB is needed and if not, we'll just have to work with what we have in regards to both Westerman and Maybin; but that still doesn't change the fact that Mathis would improve our entire pass rush. We also run a 4 defensive front often, and having Mathis as a DE would become a huge upgrade for our defensive line.

Wake me up when a team is willing to part ways with an offensive lineman, as good as Mathis has been as a pass rusher, for a 4th rounder. It's not going to happen, so stop trying to bash the Jets front office for trying to improve our team all because it's not an "offensive lineman".

Not if he could become a reason why we went onto winning a SB for the first time since 68-69.

You are delusional -- compared the rest of this team's issues, push off the D-line is the least of our problems. Deals like this make sense only when a team is on the cusp of going all the way. The Jets are a long way from being on the cusp of anything good.

You are delusional -- compared the rest of this team's issues, push off the D-line is the least of our problems. Deals like this make sense only when a team is on the cusp of going all the way. The Jets are a long way from being on the cusp of anything good.

A long way? Anything good? A right tackle is now " a long way"? They aren't playing well, but c'mon.

Says a fan of a team that's been to two consecutive trips to the AFC Championship game.

Oh my god, oh my god, rebuilding mode at it's worst. What a joke, all because of a slow start 5 weeks into the season.

I bet you were the FIRST Jet fan, to "make it known", back in 2009, that the Jets were "a long way from being on the cusp of anything good" all because of a 3-3 record after losing 3 consecutive games. Yup, that team wasn't on the cusp of anything good. What a joke.

That would be awesome. I think he'd do alright in a 3-4. I think both of their DEs would do alright in a 3-4...Freeney probably would have been just as nasty as a 3-4 OLB, and he was a legitimate prospect as one going into his draft year. He'd probably mostly rush the passer anyway...

no this isn't a rumor. This is Schefter spinning his wheels and showing his ignorance of football. It would be very difficult for Mathis to make the transition to 3-4 especially midseason.

BTW this segment was moves he thinks should happen. Screw him and screw ESPN

Why? What's so fancy about it? Isn't the same basic goal in mind...stop the guy with the ball before he scores?

I worry very little about a veteran converting to 3-4 OLB so long as athletically he can handle it. It's the young guys that yo have to worry about...and you'd worry about them even if they weren't changing position.

Archived