50 Greatest Jets as per ESPN

shawn306

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about we flip the script. Worst Jets ever.

Gholston

Stone Hands Becht

Blair Thomas

Who you got?

I take it you're speaking worst in a relative manner, as in related to the cost to the Jets? I assumed as much given that you listed only first round picks and quite frankly, as horrible as he was as a receiver, I'd gladly take Becht as a backup right now. At least the guy could throw a block without getting called for a penalty once every 4 plays.

Weapon?

Lol

who was more valuable on our offense in 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2004? especially 2004, he had his best yards per carry that year AND had a career high 371 carries.

same could be argued about 1998 but I have a personal boner for what Keyshawn did that year lol

who was more valuable on our offense in 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2004? especially 2004, he had his best yards per carry that year AND had a career high 371 carries.

same could be argued about 1998 but I have a personal boner for what Keyshawn did that year lol

Lol ok yeah. He was a huge weapon. I'm sure teams were constanty worried about how in the world they were going to devise a gameplan to keep Martin from totally taking over football games.

Did you even see the guy play in 1998? He was quite possibly the weakest link on our offense once Foley was benched, and choked big-time in what would be the biggest game of his Jets career.

He was a solid player who avoided injury for an impossibly-long time at a position that generally has short careers. Was a good (and willing) blocker, a decent receiver, and held onto the ball like no one's business. But as a player with mediocre speed & moves, who made getting arm (or one hand) tackled into an art form, a "weapon" he was not.

How about we flip the script. Worst Jets ever.

Gholston

Stone Hands Becht

Blair Thomas

Who you got?

Becht doesn't deserve that honor. He was a solid starting extra OL for a lot of years.

This is a team that drafted Lam Jones and Carl Barzilauskis (sp?) in the first round. DeWayne Robertson was a much bigger bust than Becht. Alex Van Dyke. Don't remember him? Neither do I. A second round pick for Justin McCariens? That still raises my blood pressure to this day.

Becht doesn't deserve that honor. He was a solid starting extra OL for a lot of years.

This is a team that drafted Lam Jones and Carl Barzilauskis (sp?) in the first round. DeWayne Robertson was a much bigger bust than Becht. Alex Van Dyke. Don't remember him? Neither do I. A second round pick for Justin McCariens? That still raises my blood pressure to this day.

The Mike Nugent pick was the most unconscionable piece of drafting I've ever seen.

Lol ok yeah. He was a huge weapon. I'm sure teams were constanty worried about how in the world they were going to devise a gameplan to keep Martin from totally taking over football games.

Did you even see the guy play in 1998? He was quite possibly the weakest link on our offense once Foley was benched, and choked big-time in what would be the biggest game of his Jets career.

He was a solid player who avoided injury for an impossibly-long time at a position that generally has short careers. Was a good (and willing) blocker, a decent receiver, and held onto the ball like no one's business. But as a player with mediocre speed & moves, who made getting arm (or one hand) tackled into an art form, a "weapon" he was not.

how many non weapons have 100 TDs?

curtis must be #1 on that list lol

actually I remember every week the opposing defenders saying exactly that, they felt they had to stop martin to beat the jets. they didn't fear him taking it 65 yards for a score, but they knew what was up, he was the teams best overall player

enough with the hate, it'e really old

if you want to hate on someone, hate on the jets not having a pass offense that could take advantage of 8 men in the box

actually I remember every week the opposing defenders saying exactly that, they felt they had to stop martin to beat the jets. they didn't fear him taking it 65 yards for a score, but they knew what was up, he was the teams best overall player

enough with the hate, it'e really old

if you want to hate on someone, hate on the jets not having a pass offense that could take advantage of 8 men in the box

That isn't what I said. I said teams didn't have to figure out how to stop him from taking over a game. I find it absurd that Blackout would bring up 1998 of all years since he was garbage that season. A few good games against bottom-ranked rush defenses does not an offensive "weapon" make.

He was without a doubt the single most overrated player the franchise has ever had, and prior to Vernon Gholston was the most grossly overpaid. When we acquired him from NE we gave up our #1 pick and a contract equivalent to (on today's $120M cap) $14M/year for 6 years. Then at age 29 another 8 year extension at $10M/year (if there was a $120M cap). Each was the biggest contract ever rewarded to an NFL RB yet we were never rewarded with anyone's opinion of the most lethal (or just about the most lethal) RB in the game at any time. It was so ridiculous he was still on the cap a couple of years after his last game because we couldn't absorb the accelerated hit.

For a team to give that up they should end up with far better than our ground game was. Instead we were rewarded with exactly two top-10 rushing teams over his entire career with the Jets (as though there aren't 10 such teams every single season). Like the bloated contract awarded to Pennington, this reputedly selfless player's compensation killed the franchise's ability to acquire true game-changers in free agency.

That isn't what I said. I said teams didn't have to figure out how to stop him from taking over a game. I find it absurd that Blackout would bring up 1998 of all years since he was garbage that season. A few good games against bottom-ranked rush defenses does not an offensive "weapon" make.

He was without a doubt the single most overrated player the franchise has ever had, and prior to Vernon Gholston was the most grossly overpaid. When we acquired him from NE we gave up our #1 pick and a contract equivalent to (on today's $120M cap) $14M/year for 6 years. Then at age 29 another 8 year extension at $10M/year (if there was a $120M cap). Each was the biggest contract ever rewarded to an NFL RB yet we were never rewarded with anyone's opinion of the most lethal (or just about the most lethal) RB in the game at any time. It was so ridiculous he was still on the cap a couple of years after his last game because we couldn't absorb the accelerated hit.

For a team to give that up they should end up with far better than our ground game was. Instead we were rewarded with exactly two top-10 rushing teams over his entire career with the Jets (as though there aren't 10 such teams every single season). Like the bloated contract awarded to Pennington, this reputedly selfless player's compensation killed the franchise's ability to acquire true game-changers in free agency.

you can't hold it against him that he got paid. nobody turns down that money. don't be silly. I would have to say a players cap figure might be the worst way to judge a player, because nobody here would ever turn the money down, and the contract is negotiated by the agent and the GM and the owner anyway

I think if you take into consideration every team, every week tried to stop him as the #1 proirity in beating the jets, he did just fine.

I don't give him any extra credit for being a good interview and saying the right things, looking the part and all the rest, and I agree he is not a "highlight" runner, but I just have to disagree with the whole anti-martin sentiment when it rears it's ugly head here

you can't hold it against him that he got paid. nobody turns down that money. don't be silly. I would have to say a players cap figure might be the worst way to judge a player, because nobody here would ever turn the money down, and the contract is negotiated by the agent and the GM and the owner anyway

I think if you take into consideration every team, every week tried to stop him as the #1 proirity in beating the jets, he did just fine.

I don't give him any extra credit for being a good interview and saying the right things, looking the part and all the rest, and I agree he is not a "highlight" runner, but I just have to disagree with the whole anti-martin sentiment when it rears it's ugly head here

He made a habit of showing up big in meaningless games and against lousy defenses. Big whoop.

His compensation was part of the package with him. Take someone like Brandon Moore as an example. He's been an excellent player for us for years. Solid, a leader-type, and like Martin had, Moore hasn't missed a game since I can't remember when. At his dollars ($4M/year I think off the top of my head), whatever shortcomings he has are more tolerable than if he was being paid like the best at his position in NFL history, which Martin was paid like.

He made a habit of showing up big in meaningless games and against lousy defenses. Big whoop.

His compensation was part of the package with him. Take someone like Brandon Moore as an example. He's been an excellent player for us for years. Solid, a leader-type, and like Martin had, Moore hasn't missed a game since I can't remember when. At his dollars ($4M/year I think off the top of my head), whatever shortcomings he has are more tolerable than if he was being paid like the best at his position in NFL history, which Martin was paid like.

his deal is on the agent, GM and owner

nobody turns down big money, especially NFL running backs who have notoriously short careers.

I have a suspicion you are about my age and the '98 denver game is probably at the root of your ill will

because if he gets the job down there, the jets have a 70% chance of winning it all that year

god what an awful memory, sorry about that, lol

his deal is on the agent, GM and owner

nobody turns down big money, especially NFL running backs who have notoriously short careers.

I have a suspicion you are about my age and the '98 denver game is probably at the root of your ill will

because if he gets the job down there, the jets have a 70% chance of winning it all that year

god what an awful memory, sorry about that, lol

Still can't believe it's dragged on this long. I only made one little comment about him but you had to go taking it to the next level. Shame on you.

As long as we agree now that he sucked. You are forgiven.

Next topic: Ken O'Brien's awesome Pro Bowl season of 1991.

Still can't believe it's dragged on this long. I only made one little comment about him but you had to go taking it to the next level. Shame on you.

As long as we agree now that he sucked. You are forgiven.

Next topic: Ken O'Brien's awesome Pro Bowl season of 1991.

hey there are about 3 posters here I can disagree with without someone throwing poop and you're one of them so deal with it !

Revis is an "all-time" player. Namath belongs in the top 5, maybe even top 3, but Revis is #1. Period.

Revis can turn out to be the greatest football player of all time and it would not matter. Nothing Revis will ever do will equal what Joe Namath did for the Jets franchise and for professional football itself. Not even if Revis changes the course of pro football by holding out for the TENTH time in his career for the largest contract ever given to a homo sapien (which will happen, by my estimation in the year 2019) will that equal that one shining event in an otherwise dismal Jet universe.

Namath, whether you like it or not, is the face of the franchise. That finger raised in the air while jogging off the field is one of the iconic images in all of modern sports history. It's not about being the best player. It's about being the greatest Jet. So, the next time Revis does something to change the very fabric of the NFL itself, we can re-open the argument.

Super Bowl III is the one goddamned thing that makes me proud to be a Jet fan. Not just a surface pride that comes from whipping the Pats last year or going to the conference championship twice in a row, but real pride, the kind that goes straight to the bone (please, Shane, no) the kind that cannot ever be taken away.

If you are talking most importat momenents in jet history you are right.

If you are talking best player in jets history it's revis by far. Was Namath ever the best player at his position in the nfl? Revis has been a majority of his career

Revis can turn out to be the greatest football player of all time and it would not matter. Nothing Revis will ever do will equal what Joe Namath did for the Jets franchise and for professional football itself. Not even if Revis changes the course of pro football by holding out for the TENTH time in his career for the largest contract ever given to a homo sapien (which will happen, by my estimation in the year 2019) will that equal that one shining event in an otherwise dismal Jet universe.

Namath, whether you like it or not, is the face of the franchise. That finger raised in the air while jogging off the field is one of the iconic images in all of modern sports history. It's not about being the best player. It's about being the greatest Jet. So, the next time Revis does something to change the very fabric of the NFL itself, we can re-open the argument.

Super Bowl III is the one goddamned thing that makes me proud to be a Jet fan. Not just a surface pride that comes from whipping the Pats last year or going to the conference championship twice in a row, but real pride, the kind that goes straight to the bone (please, Shane, no) the kind that cannot ever be taken away.

Archived