Peyton - jets better be in the mix after schefter report

aec4

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would I love too see a healthy Manning here???.hell yes....

But I just don't see why he'd want to come here...

You guys are just setting yourselves up to bitch about the organization more when he goes elsewhere. ....

You're not the first person to say that, but I don't know why because rarely is a reason attached to this line of thought.

Here's why he might come here: he wants to win.

Now the fact is there will be some other team that can afford a larger contract. So that is going to be a huge factor. But if winning is concern #1, then Jets and SF are tied for #1 destination. No other teams give him a better shot of winning... with the exception of Baltimore, if they cut Flacco loose (I'm not sure how realistic that would be.) If SF re-signs Smith, Jets become #1 destination for getting a ring.

...I FOCKING HATE that it isn't MY FOCKING TEAM PLAYING IN THIS FRICKING GAME TONIGHT GRRRRRRR

Come on Jim....you don't think I'm pissed too that they're not in it....F**k yeah I am...but come on....some guys bitch over the. Stupidest things...

Back to Peyton. .....id love to see him here....I just don't see any reason why he'd want to come here....especially with his bro. in the opposite locker room...it'll never happen......I hope I'm wrong though.....

Stan we're Jets fans-we only complain because we care-because we WANT to win-you've been commenting as if people here are Jets fans for one reason and that's to bitch and moan about the team. I can assure you that that is NOT the case. Every single one of us here that has been in these threads here, on twitter, and facebook is pissed because it SHOULD be the Jets in a focking Super Bowl someday instead of the Giants and Patriots-again....the last thing I want to do is complain about my favorite team-I WANT to be a happy Jets fan and right now, I'm not. Now you tell me not to become "like one of them, the idiots over at Jet Nation" well sorry I'm already in...and trust me, there is no congregation around here that meets to say how we are all going to approach each issue head on as complainers. I'm pissed because again, it's NOT the Jets playing in this game-again...fock...I FOCKING HATE that it isn't MY FOCKING TEAM PLAYING IN THIS FRICKING GAME TONIGHT GRRRRRRR

This is why Jimmy is co-captain of JN. A beautiful post.

Stan we're Jets fans-we only complain because we care-because we WANT to win-you've been commenting as if people here are Jets fans for one reason and that's to bitch and moan about the team. I can assure you that that is NOT the case. Every single one of us here that has been in these threads here, on twitter, and facebook is pissed because it SHOULD be the Jets in a focking Super Bowl someday instead of the Giants and Patriots-again....the last thing I want to do is complain about my favorite team-I WANT to be a happy Jets fan and right now, I'm not. Now you tell me not to become "like one of them, the idiots over at Jet Nation" well sorry I'm already in...and trust me, there is no congregation around here that meets to say how we are all going to approach each issue head on as complainers. I'm pissed because again, it's NOT the Jets playing in this game-again...fock...I FOCKING HATE that it isn't MY FOCKING TEAM PLAYING IN THIS FRICKING GAME TONIGHT GRRRRRRR

Seriously, I hate the "this is how you should be as a fan" crowd, but I don't know how you can be a fan of this team, and be anything but miserable. The Jets shot their wad to "win now". They didn't. They traded up for a "franchise QB". They missed. Meanwhile, the team that has sleepwalked to the division championship for the last decade is playing in their 5th Super Bowl in recent history and the team that we share a stadium with is playing in the their second. One of them will win either their 4th or their 2nd, while we're supposed to be happy about back to back losses in a conference championship game and the idea that a new offensive coordinator is magically going to turn one of the leagues worst QBs into a serviceable one. Blow me. Really.

Here's why he might come here: he wants to win. But if winning is concern #1, then Jets and SF are tied for #1 destination. No other teams give him a better shot of winning

How can you say that????? According to many on here we have sh*tty wr's and a fat slow rb....Oh...and a sh*tty ran organization. ...why would anyone to play for that...

If true, and I doubt it is, it would make it possible to sign Manning.

Looking at Jasons site, it seems that the Jets are really tight against the cap in 2012.

In 2013 not so much. If any or all of the following players are cut, here is the cap gain.

Holmes +8.8 M, Pace +8.6 M, Cro +8.3 M, Scott +7.1 M, and E. Smith +3.0 M

If the Jets cut a deal with Manning, that is incentive based and can push the cap hit to 2013 it seems if some overpaid deadwood is removed, there will be room.

I’m not in favor of signing Peyton because of the health risks, and extreme uncertainty if he will ever be able to throw like he once did, but if Schefter isn’t just blowing smoke, perhaps it is at least financially feasible.

Seriously, I hate the "this is how you should be as a fan" crowd, but I don't know how you can be a fan of this team, and be anything but miserable. The Jets shot their wad to "win now". They didn't. They traded up for a "franchise QB". They missed. Meanwhile, the team that has sleepwalked to the division championship for the last decade is playing in their 5th Super Bowl in recent history and the team that we share a stadium with is playing in the their second. One of them will win either their 4th or their 2nd, while we're supposed to be happy about back to back losses in a conference championship game and the idea that a new offensive coordinator is magically going to turn one of the leagues worst QBs into a serviceable one. Blow me. Really.

You're blocking. It's the third fairly recently, not second.

2000, 2007, 2011. Well, 2000 is recent to me anyway.

Not counting the Giants' Tuna era, complete with two more appearances and two more rings, which we had to endure as well. So that's 5 that I'll have seen after tonight.

But I should be happy if the Jets don't pursue Peyton Manning, who is going to be available by a miracle of timing and contract terms and the Colts being just that bad in his absence. And why should I feel this way? Because my attitude should, for some reason, be that Mark Sanchez "deserves" another crack at it.

He deserves and is owed absolutely nothing. NOTHING. Loyal fans and supporters of this franchise who have never seen the Jets in (let alone win) a superbowl for decades are the ones who deserve.

Would I love too see a healthy Manning here???.hell yes....

But I just don't see why he'd want to come here...

You guys are just setting yourselves up to bitch about the organization more when he goes elsewhere. ....

If the jets go hard after manning and he signs with SF, why would anyone bitch?

but he could say that after the colts make their decision

why do it early ?

makes no sense

Because the bidding war is going to peter out quickly.Better you settle up and get where you're going. The shotgun marriage of Favre and the jets is instructive. We had a QB running his own offense and ignoring the OC,(probably with good reason). But still, he wants to get set up. And some of the bidders-the SKins, Cards and Dolpins-aren't teams that make any sense because of whack job ownership. In a way,kinda think this is where Rex may be more a hinderance than a help. Why does Manning want anything to do with on offense that(without a good OL nor a really good back) runs their mouths about Ground and Pound?On the other side, Tom Moore is already on the payroll. Does make the hiring of Sparano a little pointless.

You're blocking. It's the third fairly recently, not second.

2000, 2007, 2011. Well, 2000 is recent to me anyway.

Not counting the Giants' Tuna era, complete with two more appearances and two more rings, which we had to endure as well. So that's 5 that I'll have seen after tonight.

But I should be happy if the Jets don't pursue Peyton Manning, who is going to be available by a miracle of timing and contract terms and the Colts being just that bad in his absence. And why should I feel this way? Because my attitude should, for some reason, be that Mark Sanchez "deserves" another crack at it.

He deserves and is owed absolutely nothing. NOTHING. Loyal fans and supporters of this franchise who have never seen the Jets in (let alone win) a superbowl for decades are the ones who deserve.

GREATNESS personified in this one post

The Ravens should be a dark horse, which would be a bit ironic considering the whole Indy-Baltimore situation.

Getting Peyton would definitely mean the end of Flacco since his contract will be up in a year so it will be interesting what happens to him when he is on the open market.

Ive been hitting up the Ravens as the best destination for Manning for some time. It makes perfect sense. One of the few consistently good defenses in the NFL. Set up to win now. Its the town his idol John Unitas played for. From the Ravens persepctive they have the cap room to do it and hold Flacco until they can trade him. Flacco does have trade value(probably a conditional 2 and maybe a 5) so they dont lose him for hothing. We cant really do that with Sanchez nore does Sanchez have much trade value.

Maybe Flacco saved his job with the NE game, but that defense doesnt believe in him and that window is going to close if he is the QB next year. Bad QB selections have more or less killed what has been a pretty good 10 year run with nothing to show for it/

If true, and I doubt it is, it would make it possible to sign Manning.

Looking at Jasons site, it seems that the Jets are really tight against the cap in 2012.

In 2013 not so much. If any or all of the following players are cut, here is the cap gain.

Holmes +8.8 M, Pace +8.6 M, Cro +8.3 M, Scott +7.1 M, and E. Smith +3.0 M

If the Jets cut a deal with Manning, that is incentive based and can push the cap hit to 2013 it seems if some overpaid deadwood is removed, there will be room.

I’m not in favor of signing Peyton because of the health risks, and extreme uncertainty if he will ever be able to throw like he once did, but if Schefter isn’t just blowing smoke, perhaps it is at least financially feasible.

If Holmes is cut it's a net loss against the cap not a net gain (it costs us more against the 2012 cap to cut him than keep him). Same thing with Pace and Cromartie and Scott. You sure you're looking at the right page?

To reach $15M - which we wouldn't need in 2012 if he signs an incentive-based deal - the big savings for expendable players would be in cutting or trading Mark Sanchez ($9.25M), Eric Smith ($2M), Wayne Hunter ($2.5M), and somebody - probably Harris - would need to restructure a bit. But he makes so much this year and next year he'd have to push off (guaranteed) money from 2012 to 2014. That's just to get to a net of zero. Keep in mind we still have needs at RT, OLB, S (x2), and it's a bit much to gamble most or all of that on rookies from the draft.

Last, those savings aren't even net savings. The net savings is that amount minus at least an NFL minimum salary (I think ~$350K) because that's the minimum we'd have to replace that roster spot with in our top 51 salaries. Can't just count the top 48 salaries we pay out. In other words, if we cut 4 players to make room for 1, we don't fully get the savings of those salaries. They're replaced with the lower salaries of the next guys in line.

but why give away leverage and say you'll work cheap ? only reason is if his agent has been sniffing around and getting very tepid interest, or shefter made it up

It's way too early to try to make assumptions based on this report. It's just as possible that nobody wants to commit any guaranteed money to him at all as it is that Manning has supreme confidence in himself and knows he can negotiate a lot bigger deal if he's willing to work off of incentives that he feels confident he can completely achieve. It can work out for both sides as there's less concern for the team to get burned, while Manning can build himself a contract that is designed to earn him what he feels he deserves to be paid, as long as holds up his end of the bargain.

Ive been hitting up the Ravens as the best destination for Manning for some time. It makes perfect sense. One of the few consistently good defenses in the NFL. Set up to win now. Its the town his idol John Unitas played for. From the Ravens persepctive they have the cap room to do it and hold Flacco until they can trade him. Flacco does have trade value(probably a conditional 2 and maybe a 5) so they dont lose him for hothing. We cant really do that with Sanchez nore does Sanchez have much trade value.

Maybe Flacco saved his job with the NE game, but that defense doesnt believe in him and that window is going to close if he is the QB next year. Bad QB selections have more or less killed what has been a pretty good 10 year run with nothing to show for it/

Sorry Flacco played very well vs pukes and evans deserves to be tarred and feathered

I think they're the obvious place as well. SF's line will get him killed worse than anyone imagines our line would do, and the whole planet knows we're replacing our RT who was the worst of the bunch.

but he could say that after the colts make their decision

why do it early ?

makes no sense

Two reasons. One is because they are upset with the Colts and the decision they made. Making the announcement now makes the Colts organization look bad when he comes out and says Ill play for cheap and earn every penny I make next year and they still release him and make no attempt to re-sign him. The second one is because there is no guarantee he gets cut tomorrow. They can wait until the first week of March. Teams need to start planning now for the offseason. So many contracts have guarantees tied into being in the roster in February that decisions must be made today if they want to have a chance to pursue Manning. Not that the Jets are cutting Holmes, but to use him as an example the Jets would cut ties with him in the next week or so to avoid future guaranteed salary. If Manning is really available they would never cut Holmes. His rift is with Sanchez. He would thrive with Manning and be an attractive player to have on the roster for Manning. It would change everything the Jets front office is planning on. So you make it known to certain teams to gear up and be ready for a chance to sign Manning.

SF's line will get him killed worse than anyone imagines our line would do, and the whole planet knows we're replacing our RT who was the worst of the bunch.

\

And he should weight that in ... problems come into play when he looks at our bottom half RB, absolutely nothing special TE, and punk/felon WR's except Kerley

Sounds a bit familiar doesn't it?

They have been better than us though. The only year where Sanchez really cost the team was 2009. A better QB and the Jets win the AFC East and probably the Super Bowl. 2010 wasnt on Mark. The team just wasnt prepared for the start of that game. All the other seasons were a mix of terrible coaching and the QB spot. Baltimore had the goods in 2001, 2006, 2008, and 2011 to get there but had guys like Kyle Boller and Elvis Grbac at the controls.

He would thrive with Manning and be an attractive player to have on the roster for Manning. It would change everything the Jets front office is planning on. So you make it known to certain teams to gear up and be ready for a chance to sign Manning.

Chances that Keller gets Clark or Davis money on the market after having a banner year under Peyton?

They have been better than us though. The only year where Sanchez really cost the team was 2009. A better QB and the Jets win the AFC East and probably the Super Bowl. 2010 wasnt on Mark. The team just wasnt prepared for the start of that game. All the other seasons were a mix of terrible coaching and the QB spot. Baltimore had the goods in 2001, 2006, 2008, and 2011 to get there but had guys like Kyle Boller and Elvis Grbac at the controls.

Depressing isn't it? The Ravens are the best example of what we're in for if this sh*t doesn't change considering Sanchez's ceiling for the next 3-4 years is having the capability of Flacco.

If Holmes is cut it's a net loss against the cap not a net gain (it costs us more against the 2012 cap to cut him than keep him). Same thing with Pace and Cromartie and Scott. You sure you're looking at the right page?

To reach $15M - which we wouldn't need in 2012 if he signs an incentive-based deal - the big savings for expendable players would be in cutting or trading Mark Sanchez ($9.25M), Eric Smith ($2M), Wayne Hunter ($2.5M), and somebody - probably Harris - would need to restructure a bit. But he makes so much this year and next year he'd have to push off (guaranteed) money from 2012 to 2014. That's just to get to a net of zero. Keep in mind we still have needs at RT, OLB, S (x2), and it's a bit much to gamble most or all of that on rookies from the draft.

Last, those savings aren't even net savings. The net savings is that amount minus at least an NFL minimum salary (I think ~$350K) because that's the minimum we'd have to replace that roster spot with in our top 51 salaries. Can't just count the top 48 salaries we pay out. In other words, if we cut 4 players to make room for 1, we don't fully get the savings of those salaries. They're replaced with the lower salaries of the next guys in line.

http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary13.html

I’m looking at the 2013 page. I’m talking about if the Jets thru Peyton’s willingness to not play with a guaranteed contract in 2012, But playing for not easily attained incentives (like staying healthy for 16 games)and allowing the cap hits to fall against the 2013 cap, instead of 2012

Chances that Keller gets Clark or Davis money on the market after having a banner year under Peyton?

Definitely would happen. Manning makes receivers stars and he wouldnt have any of Kellers take off games either. Hed be all over Keller in the games he plays like crap and his head is out of it. Hed be consistent for a change. Then someone would get the real Keller in 2013 and wonder just what happenned.

http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary13.html

I’m looking at the 2013 page. I’m talking about if the Jets thru Peyton’s willingness to not play with a guaranteed contract in 2012, But playing for not easily attained incentives (like staying healthy for 16 games)and allowing the cap hits to fall against the 2013 cap, instead of 2012

My page is actually incorrect on him and a few other guys. Its technically correct as of today, but once these players are on the rosters in a few weeks those 2013 base salaries become guarateed making the cap hits pretty high on a release. Ill really have to update them to reflect the real amounts since so many people are looking one year ahead already, which has never really happened since I started the site.

Archived