Peyton - jets better be in the mix after schefter report

aec4

If Manning has a choice it will come down to only 2 teams. JETS and San Fran.

Not sure having played in a small market his entire career he would want to go to a small market team like Baltimore. Washington and Miami are teams in a huge mess and they cannot get out of their way.

Miami has a more talented roster than the Jets IMO.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depressing isn't it? The Ravens are the best example of what we're in for if this sh*t doesn't change considering Sanchez's ceiling for the next 3-4 years is having the capability of Flacco.

Yeah its a tough spot and the jets seemed resigned to the fact since they brought in a guy to run a run based offense. Maybe the steelers want to trade us Ben. They have somehow decided that the team is not blue collar enough and they need him to go back to throwing 20 times a game while they find their next 3.6 yard a carry runner that can carry the rock 30 times a game.

My page is actually incorrect on him and a few other guys. Its technically correct as of today, but once these players are on the rosters in a few weeks those 2013 base salaries become guarateed making the cap hits pretty high on a release. Ill really have to update them to reflect the real amounts since so many people are looking one year ahead already, which has never really happened since I started the site.

In that case

Neeeeeeever mind :winking0001:

By the way Jason thanks for all the effort you have put into that site. It’s the first place I go when we start talking about signing every FA out there.

i still don't see baltimore as more attractive then us. I guess it boils down to how much you blame on Sanchez. I see this team as having won at least 1 SB with Manning the past 3 seasons. Sure, Greene needs to be upgraded and so does Hunter, but by far the biggest problem has been Sanchez, for three years running

Yeah its a tough spot and the jets seemed resigned to the fact since they brought in a guy to run a run based offense. Maybe the steelers want to trade us Ben. They have somehow decided that the team is not blue collar enough and they need him to go back to throwing 20 times a game while they find their next 3.6 yard a carry runner that can carry the rock 30 times a game.

Jason let me ask you tihis.

In your opinion, if the Jets are serious about signing Manning, it would be likely they would cut Holmes next week before his bonus is due?

Just wondering

i still don't see baltimore as more attractive then us. I guess it boils down to how much you blame on Sanchez. I see this team as having won at least 1 SB with Manning the past 3 seasons. Sure, Greene needs to be upgraded and so does Hunter, but by far the biggest problem has been Sanchez, for three years running

Ravens are happy with flacco ,they will not go at manning

Yep. Of course he didn't finish the job.

The give and take of Parcells. There was a thing on Parcells recently where he praised Leon Hess for not bothering him while he built up the team, which was an indirect slap at Ross, Jones and Woody. If you're an owner, just stay away from Parcells and let him do what he does.

In your opinion, if the Jets are serious about signing Manning, it would be likely they would cut Holmes next week before his bonus is due?

Just wondering

I'm not Jason, but imo Holmes is a pro bowler with Manning

The technical term is "conscious denial."

I'm not Jason, but imo Holmes is a pro bowler with Manning

I'm not getting into the "football" impact of it. i was just wondering if they do push the cap hit down the road, and to sign him I think they have to, what impact it would have on the 2013 cap.

Just wondering

No. Manning justifies the investment in Holmes. He goes for 1200 yards with him. Their problem is with Sanchez he isnt even a 1000 yard receiver unless Sanchez improves a ton. I would think if Manning is here Keller and Holmes both stay. If Sanchez is here I could see one of those two leaving.

The technical term is "conscious denial."

It all boils down to how much blame you put on sanchez.. I reckon you've been quite taken with Sanchez since his first topless photo shoot, so of course you can't see the point.

Is Baltimore .12-4 with Colt McCoy behind center? Probably not, and that's what we had

“@AdamSchefter: Peyton Manning is willing to create a contract that would contain no guaranteed money up front and would be incentive laden with bonuses.”

You have to get in then. HAVE TO. it's risk free

If true... then there should be no discussion about the Jets getting in on the bidding. That said, since there will be multiple bidders, its most likely that guaranteed money will inevitably make the difference. So this report is a moot point, imo.

If true... then there should be no discussion about the Jets getting in on the bidding. That said, since there will be multiple bidders, its most likely that guaranteed money will inevitably make the difference. So this report is a moot point, imo.

If the Jets aren't in it heavily I'll be shocked.. Will be a major disservice to fans

GREATNESS personified in this one post

I saw them win their one SB. I am becoming convinced that I will die before they do it again. But then the Rangers won a Stanley Cup after 54 years. The other possibility is that I will live to see it, but I will have dementia. Better stock up on the supplements.

You know what would've been the better service to the fans? Not mortgaging an entire draft on a guy with one full season as a college starter based on the level of balls he showed by pretending he rode to the restaurant on a motorcycle.

Can;t change that. So moving on sooner rather thaen later is the move. I wan't a Manning and I want it now.

No. Manning justifies the investment in Holmes. He goes for 1200 yards with him. Their problem is with Sanchez he isnt even a 1000 yard receiver unless Sanchez improves a ton. I would think if Manning is here Keller and Holmes both stay. If Sanchez is here I could see one of those two leaving.

If the big idea was Ground and Pound there was no point ot signing Holmes/Burress over Cotch et al instead of a decent LT and a reasonable HB.

If the big idea was Ground and Pound there was no point ot signing Holmes/Burress over Cotch et al instead of a decent LT and a reasonable HB.

Burress - Giant possession WR

Holmes - Explosive WR.

A little 2003 Panthers-esque....Holmes as Smith and Burress as Muhammad....the boring but chug along running game...they went with old school TEs though, which is probably where they really f'd up.

Honestly if they wanted the whole ground and pound thing they should have went with Veldheer when going with giant small school OL prospects...or signed a veteran blocking TE in FA last year like that guy who was out there last year...oh and gotten a more competent QB.

“@AdamSchefter: Peyton Manning is willing to create a contract that would contain no guaranteed money up front and would be incentive laden with bonuses.”

You have to get in then. HAVE TO. it's risk free

Gotta say, I respect a guy coming off a scary neck injury who could end up putting his life on the line to prove he is still the man without any guaranteed money.

but why give away leverage and say you'll work cheap ? only reason is if his agent has been sniffing around and getting very tepid interest, or shefter made it up

Or you are an extremely prideful man who feels the ultimate disrespect and is not only out to prove he is still Payton Effing Manning, but is also certain in himself that he is.

Gotta say, I respect a guy coming off a scary neck injury who could end up putting his life on the line to prove he is still the man without any guaranteed money.

Can we all stop with the whole he's going to die thing...Every single one of those guys are putting their life on the line. Do you really consider it possible that doctors would clear Peyton Manning to play football again if he was significantly more at risk than any other guy on the field? If the guy is coming back to play then he's coming back to play. I highly doubt he's as much a dipsh*t as Brett Favre turned out to be.

All along I believed this jets/manning thing was absurd, and I don't think they are ready to give up on manning.

But.........

Two interesting things. First, it would be near impossible to sign Manning and keep Sanchez, but with Manning willing to work on incentives, that changes if he craps the bed you aren't jammed up in cap hell. But if he turns out to be Payton Manning and brings home the hardware, you are happy to write the check.

Second thing, last time we were staring at the misery of an entire season of having to hear about the Giants and their Super Bowl win and being the talk of the town, woody went and brought in Favre. Anyone remember hearing Jacobs b*tching about them having won the Super Bowl and all the media discussed was the Jets and their being the darlings of NYC. Now, what would be a quicker way to kill the giants super bowl win talk this time around than signing Manning.

Not saying it will happen, but it has gotten interesting.

All along I believed this jets/manning thing was absurd, and I don't think they are ready to give up on manning.

But.........

Two interesting things. First, it would be near impossible to sign Manning and keep Sanchez, but with Manning willing to work on incentives, that changes if he craps the bed you aren't jammed up in cap hell. But if he turns out to be Payton Manning and brings home the hardware, you are happy to write the check.

Second thing, last time we were staring at the misery of an entire season of having to hear about the Giants and their Super Bowl win and being the talk of the town, woody went and brought in Favre. Anyone remember hearing Jacobs b*tching about them having won the Super Bowl and all the media discussed was the Jets and their being the darlings of NYC. Now, what would be a quicker way to kill the giants super bowl win talk this time around than signing Manning.

Not saying it will happen, but it has gotten interesting.

The question is are they ready to give up on Sanchez *COMPLETELY* for what would be a 1-2 year solution? I appreciate the sentiment of people saying to hell with it all, I want a big gamble on a championship. I appreciate that. I feel the same way many days and then other days, I feel differently.

Supposing we give Peyton an incentive-laden deal, and he does get hurt. True, we're OK with the cap that way. But we're all going to be sitting around here nervously wondering what's going to become of Sanchez. My god can you imagine if he becomes halfway decent and we lost him because we took this gamble that didn't pay off?

I'm thinking about it... you know how hard it is to even get into the position to draft a franchise QB?

Then on top of that, no QB develops over night. Sorry, doesn't happen. Cam, Dalton, all these guys will have setbacks in year 2... probably even struggle a bit in year 3.

I'm sure someone's going to say, "No, those guys will be good next year and forever," but that's what people were saying about Sam Bradford and how did turn out? Stafford? A beast, but it took him 3 years just to play one full healthy year!!! Imagine how frustrated we'd be with that? We also heard about "big things" coming for Joe Flacco but sorry dude isn't impressive at all. Matt Ryan was probably one of the more consistent young QB's recently, but for some reason that guy can't do ANYTHING come playoff time. Imagine how frustrating *that* would be? Aaron Rodgers? Amazing, a huge long shot... but remember, sat behind Brett Favre all those years. I really can't think of a recent QB that has come up, had immediate success in his rookie year and continued to improve through year 3 who doesn't have a gigantic flaw (the unclutchness of Ryan, the health woes of Stafford, Freeman is just as bad as Sanchez, etc.)

*THAT* is why we should be concerned about the Peyton deal. If it doesn't work out, it could be 5 or more years before we develop a young QB again.

I really have to laugh at Jets fans in their assessment of this teams offense and in some cases defense as well.

On offense we DO NOT have the talent at the skill positions to contend with elite defenses I dont give a sh!t who the QB is...... Also our so called super defense over the last 3 years has never made the big stops in the big games and they are getting much older at LB and have gaping holes at safety. Whos replacing those weaknesses after the Manning contract is signed ?

We have a 35 year old posession WR and a small so called #1 in Holmes who refuses to go over the middle and displays alligator arms at an alarming rate yet people look at him as some kind of pro bowler based on one season and one catch,,,,,, we have no RB's who can make plays in the passing game and a major problem protecting the QB with both RT and LT. If Manning comes here will all of this go away ?

Do you expect this team to make the big plays in the playoffs magiclly because Peyton Manning is here ? The Colts never seemed to do it for all the years in the playoffs and they actully had a pass rush and a few HOF WR's.

Peyton Manning is Obviously a better QB than Mark Sanchez but this team is going in the direction of a rebuild and if any of you think a QB like Peyton Manning will change all of that you simply do NOT understand the team concept. The Giants won the SB this year once again because their Defense got hot and because they limited mistakes down the stretch while other teams basicly handed them games......... they didnt even have to worry about a division rival because their division basicly sucked other wise they dont even make the playoffs.

Peyton even won his lone SB after many many years of Choke due to his defense playing out of thier minds that season shutting down everyone they played throughout the playoffs.

If you guys think the Jets can win a SB without Safties, Tackles, LB's and WR's just because Manning is here your out of your minds. I would love to see the reaction If Manning comes here and the Idiot pack of WR's we have run the wrong patterns and refuse to put in some extra work to improve their game. Wonder how all that pans out in a Peyton Manning Locker room. But wait I forgot Peyton Manning is not only going to make all these players better hes also a psycologist who can cure their stupidity as well.

I will say this ...If Manning comes here I can see us winning some more games during the REGULAR season 10 maybe even 11 just on his back alone ....BUT when it comes to the playoffs and you have to compete with COMPLETE playoff teams it all comes crashing down yet again no matter how good Peyton Manning is..... He was not able to do it all by himself his first 13 or so years what makes you think he takes this mess of a team all the way now ? 13-3 records in a weak division is nothing impressive when you keep getting knocked out in the playoffs VS better teams.

The question is are they ready to give up on Sanchez *COMPLETELY* for what would be a 1-2 year solution? I appreciate the sentiment of people saying to hell with it all, I want a big gamble on a championship. I appreciate that. I feel the same way many days and then other days, I feel differently.

Supposing we give Peyton an incentive-laden deal, and he does get hurt. True, we're OK with the cap that way. But we're all going to be sitting around here nervously wondering what's going to become of Sanchez. My god can you imagine if he becomes halfway decent and we lost him because we took this gamble that didn't pay off?

I'm thinking about it... you know how hard it is to even get into the position to draft a franchise QB?

Then on top of that, no QB develops over night. Sorry, doesn't happen. Cam, Dalton, all these guys will have setbacks in year 2... probably even struggle a bit in year 3.

I'm sure someone's going to say, "No, those guys will be good next year and forever," but that's what people were saying about Sam Bradford and how did turn out? Stafford? A beast, but it took him 3 years just to play one full healthy year!!! Imagine how frustrated we'd be with that? We also heard about "big things" coming for Joe Flacco but sorry dude isn't impressive at all. Matt Ryan was probably one of the more consistent young QB's recently, but for some reason that guy can't do ANYTHING come playoff time. Imagine how frustrating *that* would be? Aaron Rodgers? Amazing, a huge long shot... but remember, sat behind Brett Favre all those years. I really can't think of a recent QB that has come up, had immediate success in his rookie year and continued to improve through year 3 who doesn't have a gigantic flaw (the unclutchness of Ryan, the health woes of Stafford, Freeman is just as bad as Sanchez, etc.)

*THAT* is why we should be concerned about the Peyton deal. If it doesn't work out, it could be 5 or more years before we develop a young QB again.

I think a lot of the development woes of some of the QB's mentioned comes down to coaching especially in the case of Sanchez. In the case of Stafford the guy is damn good and is totally loaded down with talent we dont have that luxery nor do the Buc's Matt Ryan just is not a big game QB because he has a ton of talent surrounding him for sure

Archived