Six Lessons Jets Can Learn From Super Bowl

flgreen

Six lessons Jets can learn from Super Bowl

February, 7, 2012

Feb 7

12:13

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

Tough day for the Jets. New York City is picking up confetti from the Giants’ victory parade. The Jets? Well, they're still picking up the pieces from a shattered season.

But, hey, life is a learning experience, and the Jets can learn plenty from Super Bowl XLVI. Six things they can take away from it:

1. You need a franchise quarterback. There are rare exceptions, of course, but the reality is you need an elite quarterback to win a Super Bowl. Unless they’re lying through their teeth, the Jets believe they have that guy in Mark Sanchez. We’ll find out the truth in about a month, when Peyton Manning is expected to become available.

2. Pass rush is important. Because it's a passing league, you need to have the ability to put the quarterback on the ground. Once again, the Giants proved that it’s vital to have pressure players. Instead of trying to manufacture a pass rush with scheme, the Jets need to bring in some horses. They've ignored this for too long.

3. Chemistry is key. The prevailing theme in the Giants’ locker room late Sunday night was team unity, how their belief in one another helped them navigate a turbulent season. The Giants were 7-7, and everybody wanted Tom Coughlin’s head on a platter, but the team never succumbed to the adversity. The Jets, who did, have a lot of work to do in this area.

4. Depth isn’t a luxury, it’s a must. Both the Giants and Patriots suffered a number of injuries throughout the season, but they kept it together, in many cases with no-name players. The Jets, now paying for having traded away so many draft choices over the years, have depth issues at quarterback, offensive line, wide receiver, defensive line, linebacker and safety.

5. Continuity is big. Eli Manning has been in the same offensive system his entire career. For the most part, so has Tom Brady. Both teams have a system that works, and they know how to find players to fit the system. The Jets have that on defense, but not on offense – and they won’t anytime soon. They’re starting over with a new coordinator, Tony Sparano, and a new system.

6. Strong leadership is essential. You may not like their styles, but Coughlin and Bill Belichick have a style, an unwavering philosophy on how to lead their respective teams. Rex Ryan still is finding himself, conceding he needs to tweak his approach. Ryan deserves some slack because he’s a lot less experienced than Coughlin and Belichick, both of whom are in their second head-coaching job, but it’s time for Ryan to settle in and chart a course for the Jets.

Disagree on #5. Continuity is only a good thing if what you have is working.

How many OC's has Tom Brady had? It doesn't matter because no one's going to tinker too much with success. Sanchez had the same OC (and same system) for the past 3 years, and other than Favre-imposed changes, has been the same the team's had since 2006. Few saw that type of consistency as a good thing.

If it's not working, you change it. How did the lack of consistency from 2010 to 2011 work for Alex Smith (or the rest of the 49ers team for that matter)?

The rest is spot on, but none are ground-breaking thoughts.

All good points. But the Pats had all of those as well. Maybe not a strong pass rush and Gronk getting hurt.

My lessons were:

1. Catch the freaking ball when it is thrown your way.

2. You are allowed to step away from the pass rusher to avoid a safety.

3. Never have 12 men on the field.

4. Never waste your timeouts on challenges for plays that are happening right in front of you. Pay Attention.

5. Do not have a supermodel gf in the stands who can throw you teamates under the bus.

6. Not having video cameras sucks!

All good points. But the Pats had all of those as well. Maybe not a strong pass rush and Gronk getting hurt.

My lessons were:

1. Catch the freaking ball when it is thrown your way.

2. You are allowed to step away from the pass rusher to avoid a safety.

3. Never have 12 men on the field.

4. Never waste your timeouts on challenges for plays that are happening right in front of you. Pay Attention.

5. Do not have a supermodel gf in the stands who can throw you teamates under the bus.

6. Not having video cameras sucks!

Disagree with #3. Don't have 12 men on the field when the other team fumbles you recover and the play is nullified. Have 12 men on the field when the other team is trying to score but running out of time so you can cover better. It's only a 5 yard penalty and the time comes off the clock.

1. Strange how you need an elite qb when big Ben won 3 superbowls and is not considered "elite", so statement 1 is false.

I don't even think Eli is "elite" because he's never put 2-3 really good seasons together.

Look, the giants didn't get in the Super Bowl just because of Eli, thank Williams from the 49ers for that, thank the giants defense for holding the Patriots to 17 points. John Harbaugh got the defense playing their asses off and played to Alex Smiths strengths because he's a real good coach. Coaching to your players strengths is something shotty never did and thank god he's gone...

Great COACHING leads to better chemistry and "team play" as long as the system fits their team and personnel. Period!

I'll take 11 good players on offense rather then 1 "elite" qb anytime. This is just another case of how the qb gets all the glory and all the blame if they lose.. It's such bs.

1. Strange how you need an elite qb when big Ben won 3 superbowls and is not considered "elite", so statement 1 is false.

I don't even think Eli is "elite" because he's never put 2-3 really good seasons together.

Look, the giants didn't get in the Super Bowl just because of Eli, thank Williams from the 49ers for that, thank the giants defense for holding the Patriots to 17 points. John Harbaugh got the defense playing their asses off and played to Alex Smiths strengths because he's a real good coach. Coaching to your players strengths is something shotty never did and thank god he's gone...

Great COACHING leads to better chemistry and "team play" as long as the system fits their team and personnel. Period!

I'll take 11 good players on offense rather then 1 "elite" qb anytime. This is just another case of how the qb gets all the glory and all the blame if they lose.. It's such bs.

Yes, John Harbaugh got his defense to play hard but he is the Baltimore coach who doesn't have a kicker. Jim Harbaugh helped Alex Smith this year. The bottom line is neither of these guys, nor their teams, did the Jets fans any favors.

Big Ben is in a different league then Sanchez. Big Ben might not be elite level, but he is very close. He also has a great physical attributes (tall, strong arm, sturdy build, deceivingly quick and tough to bring down) that often serves him well. I wish the Jets would stop drafting these wimpy QB's like pennington and sanchez.

Sounds like a thinly veiled attack on Tannenbaum's personnel decisions. 1. Sanchez not Elite 2.years of no pass rush 3. poor team chemistry (losing leadership/gaining douchebags) 4.trading away too many draft picks/no depth 5. Woody 6. Rex

Seems like 4 out of 6 gripes are directly targeting the CPA.

#05 is blatantly false. Eli Manning & the Giants switched offensive coordinators the offseason before they won the SB in 2007-08. The new system worked way better for Eli. So no, you don't necessarily have to have continuity forever and ever and ever. What you need is a system that plays to the strengths of guys on the team, which Schotty's system never did.

ETA: how does Cimini have a job covering the Jets/football if 1) he hates the Jets and 2) he sucks at football research? Not even hard football research, just something I can find from Google.

Trent differ won a super bowl, I guess he was elite, I swear analysts and reporters are so fn stupid

That was in 2001.

Continuity for it's own sake is pointless.

And chemistry is bullsh*te. But it keeps sportswriters employed. if the Jints don't come back on the Cowboys from a 12-point deficit, or Sanchez drives the field chemistry wouldn't have meant a damn thing. Brandon Jacobs could be the most collasal a$$hole in the NFL and yet they won.

Funniest post I ever read. Whatever it is you are drinking, please send some my way.

It's not? Tell me more about that.

Since it's so funny, obviously this should be a layup for a genius such as yourself.

Here I'll help you. During the regular season, the Jets were the fifth ranked defense in the NFL. The Giants, 27th.

The Giants have an offense that actually scores and keeps their defense off the field. And yet still, 27th.

The Jets on the other hand had one of the worse offenses in football, one so bad that their defense was just finishing their second sip of Gatorade and then putting their helmets back on.

You think Eli goes 9 for 27 against the Giants?

Obviously, you are the one that is drinking something since you are laughing where there is no joke. And the fact that my post was "the funniest you've ever read" makes me feel sorry for you on a few levels.

February, 7, 2012

Feb 7

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

Tough day for the Jets. New York City is picking up confetti from the Giants’ victory parade. The Jets? Well, they're still picking up the pieces from a shattered season.

But, hey, life is a learning experience, and the Jets can learn plenty from Super Bowl XLVI. Six things they can take away from it:

1. You need a franchise quarterback. There are rare exceptions, of course, but the reality is you need an elite quarterback to win a Super Bowl. Unless they’re lying through their teeth, the Jets believe they have that guy in Mark Sanchez. We’ll find out the truth in about a month, when Peyton Manning is expected to become available.

Have you ever heard of Brad Johnson, Doug Williams, Trent Dilfer, Mark Rypien, and even Jeff Hostettler? Teams with exceptional defenses only need QBs who don't turn the ball over. While I admit that the Jets do not have that type of suffocating D, I would contest the notion that a franchise QB is crucial.

2. Pass rush is important. Because it's a passing league, you need to have the ability to put the quarterback on the ground. Once again, the Giants proved that it’s vital to have pressure players. Instead of trying to manufacture a pass rush with scheme, the Jets need to bring in some horses. They've ignored this for too long.

The Giants didn't beat the Pats with a good pass rush this time around, they did it with defensive schemes that threw off the timing of Brady's passes. Also, the years the Pats won the SB (against the Rams and the Eagles especially), they didn't have a good pass rush. When they beat the Rams, I don't think Belidick ever went with anything less then a nickel formation

3. Chemistry is key. The prevailing theme in the Giants’ locker room late Sunday night was team unity, how their belief in one another helped them navigate a turbulent season. The Giants were 7-7, and everybody wanted Tom Coughlin’s head on a platter, but the team never succumbed to the adversity. The Jets, who did, have a lot of work to do in this area.

Agreed.

4. Depth isn’t a luxury, it’s a must. Both the Giants and Patriots suffered a number of injuries throughout the season, but they kept it together, in many cases with no-name players. The Jets, now paying for having traded away so many draft choices over the years, have depth issues at quarterback, offensive line, wide receiver, defensive line, linebacker and safety.

Agreed, and ironically enough, the Jets had this very problem when Parcells didn't know what to do when Vinny Testaverde went down in the first game of the 1999 season.

5. Continuity is big. Eli Manning has been in the same offensive system his entire career. For the most part, so has Tom Brady. Both teams have a system that works, and they know how to find players to fit the system. The Jets have that on defense, but not on offense – and they won’t anytime soon. They’re starting over with a new coordinator, Tony Sparano, and a new system.

Agreed, but in this case, continuity under Schottenheimer was not a good thing. Hopefully, Sparano can create a good system, rather then passing patterns in which your WRs run long post routes and your TE and RB split wide for 0-yard dump passes.

6. Strong leadership is essential. You may not like their styles, but Coughlin and Bill Belichick have a style, an unwavering philosophy on how to lead their respective teams. Rex Ryan still is finding himself, conceding he needs to tweak his approach. Ryan deserves some slack because he’s a lot less experienced than Coughlin and Belichick, both of whom are in their second head-coaching job, but it’s time for Ryan to settle in and chart a course for the Jets.

Agreed. Rex has to learn that he's not there to be the players' friend (hence, his coddling of Sanchez thus far), he's there to be their coach. He gotta be willing to shout at obsceneties at Sanchez or other players when they screw up, and replace them mid-game if they're not playing well. When a player would screw up under Parcells, he'd say stuff like "somone's gonna be running the stairs all [bleeping] day tomorrow...All [bleeping] day

It's not? Tell me more about that.

Since it's so funny, obviously this should be a layup for a genius such as yourself.

Here I'll help you. During the regular season, the Jets were the fifth ranked defense in the NFL. The Giants, 27th.

The Giants have an offense that actually scores and keeps their defense off the field. And yet still, 27th.

The Jets on the other hand had one of the worse offenses in football, one so bad that their defense was just finishing their second sip of Gatorade and then putting their helmets back on.

You think Eli goes 9 for 27 against the Giants?

Obviously, you are the one that is drinking something since you are laughing where there is no joke. And the fact that my post was "the funniest you've ever read" makes me feel sorry for you on a few levels.

the Giant defense played well when it counted the most. The Jets only wish they had the front four of the Giants- in fact, 31 other teams wish they could strut out Tuck, Osi, JPP, Kiwanuka, Canty, Joseph etc. Many football analysts considered the Giant front four to be the best on the NFL.

I do not put much stock in rankings. Were the Giants 27th? Yeah, I guess they were. But, did the Giants allow the Patriots 37 and 30 points this season? Absolutely not. The Jets have NO pass rush and SLOW linebackers. Safety play was erratic at best, even with Leonard healthy. The CB play continues to be strong due to Revis, but Cromartie is no prize as he has shown time and time again. Depth is also a huge issue with the jets- they have none.

The G-Men came together at the end of the year to go on a magical run, and a lot had to do with the play of the defense. And, if it were not for their defense, they would not have won the Super Bowl- doesn't matter how well Eli played.

So, yes, I will laugh. There is absolutely no way the Jet defense is anywhere near as good as the Giants. The Giants have the Lombardi trophy as proof. Your proof? An opinion.

the Giant defense played well when it counted the most. The Jets only wish they had the front four of the Giants- in fact, 31 other teams wish they could strut out Tuck, Osi, JPP, Kiwanuka, Canty, Joseph etc. Many football analysts considered the Giant front four to be the best on the NFL.

I do not put much stock in rankings. Were the Giants 27th? Yeah, I guess they were. But, did the Giants allow the Patriots 37 and 30 points this season? Absolutely not. The Jets have NO pass rush and SLOW linebackers. Safety play was erratic at best, even with Leonard healthy. The CB play continues to be strong due to Revis, but Cromartie is no prize as he has shown time and time again. Depth is also a huge issue with the jets- they have none.

The G-Men came together at the end of the year to go on a magical run, and a lot had to do with the play of the defense. And, if it were not for their defense, they would not have won the Super Bowl- doesn't matter how well Eli played.

So, yes, I will laugh. There is absolutely no way the Jet defense is anywhere near as good as the Giants. The Giants have the Lombardi trophy as proof. Your proof? An opinion.

You want to cherry pick games? Okay. Seattle hung a thirty six on you, the Redskins blew you out twice, the Saints score fifty on you, the Cowboys put up a thirty four on you, the Packers a thirty eight, even the Niners scored 27 the first time around and you let Vince Young go 23 for 36 for 250 yards and two tds.

You a$$ lucked your way to the Lombardi trophy. Your amazing defense barely beat the 49ers despite having one of the best punt returners in football replaced by a guy that basically handed you the game. You played a New England team without their best weapon in a guy that had perhaps the best year in the history of football at his position.

It's amazing with how horrible the Jets are at every defensive position that they managed to finish fifth in the league in total defense, despite being on the field all the time. Imagine if they had the talent the Giants have...

My original post was actually playing devil's advocate. I knew it woud be a provocative statement. The fact that you think it's so absurd makes you delusional.

You want to cherry pick games? Okay. Seattle hung a thirty six on you, the Redskins blew you out twice, the Saints score fifty on you, the Cowboys put up a thirty four on you, the Packers a thirty eight, even the Niners scored 27 the first time around and you let Vince Young go 23 for 36 for 250 yards and two tds.

You a$$ lucked your way to the Lombardi trophy. Your amazing defense barely beat the 49ers despite having one of the best punt returners in football replaced by a guy that basically handed you the game. You played a New England team without their best weapon in a guy that had perhaps the best year in the history of football at his position.

It's amazing with how horrible the Jets are at every defensive position that they managed to finish fifth in the league in total defense, despite being on the field all the time. Imagine if they had the talent the Giants have...

My original post was actually playing devil's advocate. I knew it woud be a provocative statement. The fact that you think it's so absurd makes you delusional.

Yes, the Giants played awful defense for 75% of the season. Packers, Saints, Seahawks etc all had their way with us. When we started to get healthy is when we started to become dangerous. Did GB hang 38 on us in the Playoffs? Nope. Did Atlanta score at all against us in the playoffs? Nope. Did Dallas hang 34 on us on January 1? They wish they did. Did SF score 27 against us in NFC Championship game? No, they did not. The Giants got better as the season wore on. No coincidence that we also got healthier at some very key positions. The Jets, on the other hand, with their 5th ranked defense, fell apart as the season came to a close. The vaunted defense could not stop a weak Dolphin offense that shoved it up your a$$ in the fourth quarter. As the saying goes, it is not where you start, it is where you finish, and this could not be more true than the case of the Giants and Jets. The Jets finished in embarrassing fashion while the Giants seized an opportunity and came away with a trophy.

So, good luck with your 5th ranked defense- Scott, Cromartie, Kyle Wilson, Eric Smith and Calvin Pace. I will stick with Tuck, JPP, Boley, Rolle, Webster, Canty, Kiwanuka, Osi etc. A much stronger group that know how to WIN. And that is all that matters.

Yes, the Giants played awful defense for 75% of the season. Packers, Saints, Seahawks etc all had their way with us. When we started to get healthy is when we started to become dangerous. Did GB hang 38 on us in the Playoffs? Nope. Did Atlanta score at all against us in the playoffs? Nope. Did Dallas hang 34 on us on January 1? They wish they did. Did SF score 27 against us in NFC Championship game? No, they did not. The Giants got better as the season wore on. No coincidence that we also got healthier at some very key positions. The Jets, on the other hand, with their 5th ranked defense, fell apart as the season came to a close. The vaunted defense could not stop a weak Dolphin offense that shoved it up your a$$ in the fourth quarter. As the saying goes, it is not where you start, it is where you finish, and this could not be more true than the case of the Giants and Jets. The Jets finished in embarrassing fashion while the Giants seized an opportunity and came away with a trophy.

So, good luck with your 5th ranked defense- Scott, Cromartie, Kyle Wilson, Eric Smith and Calvin Pace. I will stick with Tuck, JPP, Boley, Rolle, Webster, Canty, Kiwanuka, Osi etc. A much stronger group that know how to WIN. And that is all that matters.

You really didn't refute the most important aspect of my post, you know that, right? Hard to play defense when you're on the field all the time and your QB throws two interceptions to 300 lb. linemen.

Did you even watch the Dolphin game?

Ginn plays, Giants lose. Gronk is healthy, Giants lose. No doubt.

February, 7, 2012

Feb 7

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

Here is lesson number 7 = STFU and play ball.

You really didn't refute the most important aspect of my post, you know that, right? Hard to play defense when you're on the field all the time and your QB throws two interceptions to 300 lb. linemen.

Did you even watch the Dolphin game?

Ginn plays, Giants lose. Gronk is healthy, Giants lose. No doubt.

Well, I cannot disagree- Sanchez does suck. But the Jet defense is not very good and I would rather have the Giant defense- my opinion, but I don't think I would get much of an argument from impartial football fans.

Was your defense on the field a lot? I do not really know. I did watch the Dolphin game and did notice the mighty Jet defense had trouble with the Dolphin offense, and not just at the end of the game.

Let me ask you- Tuck, JPP, Osi and Kiwanuka...or your d-line?

Boley, Williams and Blackburn (Kiwanuka too) or your slow LBs?

Rolle, Phillips, Webster and Ross or your secondary? Take away Revis, and I take the Giant secondary. Jet safety play sucked.

To a man, I take the G-Men at every position except CB- Revis clearly the best, but Cromartie is no better than Webster or Ross.

And, Ginn did not play and Gronk was hurt. Guess what, Giants had their injuries too...and still won. Keep calling the Giants lucky- luck is certainly an ingredient in any championship. Jets need some luck.

Well, I cannot disagree- Sanchez does suck. But the Jet defense is not very good and I would rather have the Giant defense- my opinion, but I don't think I would get much of an argument from impartial football fans.

Was your defense on the field a lot? I do not really know. I did watch the Dolphin game and did notice the mighty Jet defense had trouble with the Dolphin offense, and not just at the end of the game.

Let me ask you- Tuck, JPP, Osi and Kiwanuka...or your d-line?

Boley, Williams and Blackburn (Kiwanuka too) or your slow LBs?

Rolle, Phillips, Webster and Ross or your secondary? Take away Revis, and I take the Giant secondary. Jet safety play sucked.

To a man, I take the G-Men at every position except CB- Revis clearly the best, but Cromartie is no better than Webster or Ross.

And, Ginn did not play and Gronk was hurt. Guess what, Giants had their injuries too...and still won. Keep calling the Giants lucky- luck is certainly an ingredient in any championship. Jets need some luck.

Yeah, the Dolphins offense was KILLING us. They scored six points in the first three quarters. Matt Moore threw for 135 yards for the game and their leading rusher ran for 55 yards. I was mortified. You have no credibility and I should stop typing here but I won't.

"Take away Revis and I like our secondary." That's hilarious.

Are you taking David Harris away from the equation at linebacker as well? Your linebackers were SO lightning fast they must have run themselves right past ballcarriers since you gave up 4.5 a carry this year. Or was that the fault of your amazing defensive line? Meanwhile, our slow linebackers held opponents to 3.9 a carry. Or was that our horrible defensive line?

What injuries did the Giants have in those games?

With such an amazing array of talent on the Giants and such a lack of talent on the Jets, again, it is amazing that you guys finished as one of the bottom five defenses in football as we finished as one of the top five.

I think it's hysterical that you point to an injury here and there as the reason why your defense was so absolutely putrid during the regular season yet injuries that lead DIRECTLY to wins for you, you discount almost entirely.

The fact that you think that it's not even ARGUABLE and actually LAUGHABLE that the Jets have the better defense can be either explained by one of three ways:

A) You are a delusional homer.

B)You are fifteen years old.

C) You say things just to say THINGS

BTW The idea of going man for man on when evaluating the strength of a defense is assinine.

Yeah, the Dolphins offense was KILLING us. They scored six points in the first three quarters. I was mortified.

Are you taking David Harris away from the equation at linebacker as well?

What injuries did he Giants have?

With such an amazing array of talent on the Giants and such a lack of talent on the Jets, again, it is amazing that you guys finished as one of the bottom five defenses in football as we finished as one of the top five.

The fact that you think that it's not even ARGUABLE and actually LAUGHABLE that the Jets have the better defense can be either explained by one of two things:

Giants remained relatively healthy throughout the playoffs but early on in the season the giants lost there starting MLB, Number 2 CB in terrel thomas who was set to have a huge year, Hixon there return specialist then on top of that they started having depth guys go down like witherspoon tryon coe.. tuck and osi were banged up all year and not healthy till about week 12.. also there oline had different lineups multiple weeks..will beatty there LT went on IR.. there center david bass missed multiple games..diehl was moved back and forth between LG/LT

Yeah, the Dolphins offense was KILLING us. They scored six points in the first three quarters. I was mortified.

Are you taking David Harris away from the equation at linebacker as well?

What injuries did he Giants have?

The fact that you think that it's not even ARGUABLE and actually LAUGHABLE that the Jets have the better defense can be either explained by one of two things:

Sorry, I did forget about David Harris- he is a good player. But Pace and Scott are past their prime and their lack of athleticism was exposed.

Again, rankings do not mean a lot, at least to me. What matters is where the team finished, not the defense. You harp on the fact that the Jet defense finished 5th and Giant defense finished 27th. What MATTERS is the Jets finished 8-8 and home for the playoffs while the Giants, and their 27th ranked defense, finished as Super Bowl Champions. That is the only "finish" I really care about.

What injuries did the Giants have? Where do I start? Terrell Thomas, Jonathan Goff and two other CBs lost before the season ever started. Osi, Tuck, Boley, all missed time during the season, and were not 100% for a substantial amount of time. Tuck was hurt ALL YEAR.

I guess I am a dilusional homer since I am not 15. I do believe the Giant defense is stronger. Revis is a star, and Wilkerson has potential and Harris is a solid player (All Pro??), but if you seriously believe that the Jets have better talent on the DL (JPP is a beast, Tuck and Osi high calibur players) and better LB and S play, you are the dilusional homer.

And why would you think my comment "Take away Revis and I like our secondary" is hilarious. jet safeties SUCK, and Cromartie is NOT better than Corey Webster.

Super Bowl Champions...I rest my case, 27th ranked defense and all.

Sorry, I did forget about David Harris- he is a good player. But Pace and Scott are past their prime and their lack of athleticism was exposed.

Again, rankings do not mean a lot, at least to me. What matters is where the team finished, not the defense. You harp on the fact that the Jet defense finished 5th and Giant defense finished 27th. What MATTERS is the Jets finished 8-8 and home for the playoffs while the Giants, and their 27th ranked defense, finished as Super Bowl Champions. That is the only "finish" I really care about.

What injuries did the Giants have? Where do I start? Terrell Thomas, Jonathan Goff and two other CBs lost before the season ever started. Osi, Tuck, Boley, all missed time during the season, and were not 100% for a substantial amount of time. Tuck was hurt ALL YEAR.

I guess I am a dilusional homer since I am not 15. I do believe the Giant defense is stronger. Revis is a star, and Wilkerson has potential and Harris is a solid player (All Pro??), but if you seriously believe that the Jets have better talent on the DL (JPP is a beast, Tuck and Osi high calibur players) and better LB and S play, you are the dilusional homer.

And why would you think my comment "Take away Revis and I like our secondary" is hilarious. jet safeties SUCK, and Cromartie is NOT better than Corey Webster.

Super Bowl Champions...I rest my case, 27th ranked defense and all.

If you want to say the Giant defense is better fine. But the idea is that the Jets defense is better being the "funniest thing you've ever heard" either means you are ******* dumb or that you haven't heard many funny things, which is sad.

You're right, the Giants won the Super Bowl, so clearly they have the leagues best defense. That makes sense. The Super Bowl winner always has the league's best everything, right down to the trainers and ballboys.

Yeah, the Dolphins offense was KILLING us. They scored six points in the first three quarters. Matt Moore threw for 135 yards for the game and their leading rusher ran for 55 yards. I was mortified. You have no credibility and I should stop typing here but I won't.

Are you taking David Harris away from the equation at linebacker as well? Your linebackers were SO lightning fast they must have run themselves right past ballcarriers since you gave up 4.5 a carry this year. Or was that the fault of your amazing defensive line? Meanwhile, our slow linebackers held opponents to 3.9 a carry. Or was that our horrible defensive line?

What injuries did the Giants have in those games?

I think it's hysterical that you point to an injury here and there as the reason why your defense was so absolutely putrid during the regular season yet injuries that lead DIRECTLY to wins for you, you discount almost entirely.

The fact that you think that it's not even ARGUABLE and actually LAUGHABLE that the Jets have the better defense can be either explained by one of three ways:

C) You say things just to say THINGS

BTW The idea of going man for man on when evaluating the strength of a defense is assinine.

One more FACT:

Yes, i did watch the Jet/ Dolphin game. The Dolphins executed a 21 play, 94 yard drive, that took 12 minutes off of the clock. This drive was BEFORE Sanchez started throwing passes to 300 pound linemen, so your argument that the Jet defense was on the field for a long time due to interceptions is 100% inaccurate. Long drive took place, THEN two interceptions which resulted in two field goals.

Such a powerful defense allowed a 21 play TD drive to a 6-10 team further proves my point. 5th ranked or 27th ranked does not matter. FINISH- that is what wins championships. The Giants did, and the Jets did not.

And your comment about the Giants not having injuries makes you appear to be clueless. Either you are 15 or a delusional homer.

Jets defense was not that good this year- exposed for lack of speed and no pass rush. And when we had to hold a team like Denver could not do it.

Oh, we got Tebowed on one drive during a game in which they scored 10 points for the first 58 minutes means the defense is bad, right?

Maybe if we scored more than 13 goddamned points ourselves, we wouldn't have been in that position in the first place.

Like as if EVERY drive during a football game doesn't COUNT.

If you want to say the Giant defense is better fine. But the idea is that the Jets defense is better being the "funniest thing you've ever heard" either means you are ******* dumb or that you haven't heard many funny things, which is sad.

You're right, the Giants won the Super Bowl, so clearly they have the leagues best defense. That makes sense. The Super Bowl winner always has the league's best everything, right down to the trainers and ballboys.

And not once did I say the Giants had the best defense, just said rankings do not matter. 49ers, in my opinion, had the best defense in the NFL this year.

Archived