Cimini: Chad Addresses Possible Jets return

flgreen

Chad addresses possible Jets return

March, 5, 2012

Mar 5

6:35

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

The story of Chad Pennington tutoring Mark Sanchez on Tony Sparano's offense has fueled questions about the possibility of Pennington re-signing with the Jets to serve as Sanchez's backup.

Sounds intriguing, right? Well, Pennington threw some cold water on the prospect of returning to New York.

"You can say you want to go back someone up, but you gotta understand, starters go down and starters have to be relieved," Pennington said Monday on "The Michael Kay Show" on 1050 ESPN New York. "So if you’re a backup, you have to believe you can go in there and believe you can make something happen. That’s so important for me, to have that confidence that I can look Coach Sparano and Coach (Rex) Ryan in the eye and say, 'Yeah, you can trust my sholder.’ Right now, I don’t know if that’s the case or not."

Pennington, 35, he of the multiple shoulder surgeries and major knee surgery, didn't play last season and said he's "leaning toward retirement." He spoke glowingly of Sanchez, with whom he met recently to discuss Sparano's system. He said they had "really good sessions," noting they also talked about quarterback play in general and Pennington's meticulous preparation habits.

"Just talking to him, I think his demeanor is really good," Pennington said. "I think he has a hunger and desire to get better and take some of the criticisms he has received and turn them into something that can make him better, and learn from those."

Pennington was the ideal person to tutor Sanchez because he also knows the Brian Schottenheimer system, and he was able to help Sanchez with the differences in terminology between the Schottenheimer and Sparano offenses.

This makes me sad. First of all, the idea of our credible backup QB being Chad Pennington does not excite. While I appreciate Chad, I always have, his ability to throw the ball 5 years ago was significantly diminished. At some point, you have be able to inspire your teammates with your physical ability for them to buy in; Chad's comments lead me to believe that he simply cannot do that anymore. He was always a gutty player who really did more with less than almost any consistent starter in the last decade. I would have given him Cavanaugh's job, but I do not want him taking up one of our roster spots...

That’s so important for me, to have that confidence that I can look Coach Sparano and Coach (Rex) Ryan in the eye and say, "Yeah, you can trust my shoulder." Right now, I don’t know if that’s the case or not.

I bet it'll be the case by August, though!

I wish I had never been born.

This makes me sad. First of all, the idea of our credible backup QB being Chad Pennington does not excite. While I appreciate Chad, I always have, his ability to throw the ball 5 years ago was significantly diminished. At some point, you have be able to inspire your teammates with your physical ability for them to buy in; Chad's comments lead me to believe that he simply cannot do that anymore. He was always a gutty player who really did more with less than almost any consistent starter in the last decade. I would have given him Cavanaugh's job, but I do not want him taking up one of our roster spots...

I agree on all..............But

If Henne is to expensive,Chad really wants to play, he will become Sanchez's hand holder, and McElroy will be the real back up

When could you ever trust his shoulder?

It has nothing to do with you or me and everything to do with Chad's own self-delusion. By early summer, he'll leak a report to his media lapdogs that he did some light throwing at a high school and had more velocity on the ball than he's had in years. You can imagine where it goes from there.

It has nothing to do with you or me and everything to do with Chad's own self-delusion. By early summer, he'll leak a report to his media lapdogs that he did some light throwing at a high school and had more velocity on the ball than he's had in years. You can imagine where it goes from there.

Camp competition???

I'll say this too. I like Rex. For all his faults, I think he's a pretty good coach. But if he lets that conniving yellow-bellied noodle-armed piece of sh*t within a hundred miles of Florham Park, I'm done with him and Tannenbaum and this entire organization forever.

When could you ever trust his shoulder?

I listend to the interview and Chad said he didn't know himself whether the shoulder could be counted on if he had to play. His tone sounded all but officially retired -- humoring Kay to get through the interview. Any talk of him coming in a a possible back-up is not to be taken seriously. But, hell, it's the off season so we have to conjure up sumthin'.

I'll say this too. I like Rex. For all his faults, I think he's a pretty good coach. But if he lets that conniving yellow-bellied noodle-armed piece of sh*t within a hundred miles of Florham Park, I'm done with him and Tannenbaum and this entire organization forever.

forever?

When it was keeping him from being the starting QB of the NYJ.

Good point.

Are you insinuating that Chadwick Pennington was not a warrior?

Chad addresses possible Jets return

March, 5, 2012

Mar 5

6:35

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

The story of Chad Pennington tutoring Mark Sanchez on Tony Sparano's offense has fueled questions about the possibility of Pennington re-signing with the Jets to serve as Sanchez's backup.

Sounds intriguing, right? Well, Pennington threw some cold water on the prospect of returning to New York.

"You can say you want to go back someone up, but you gotta understand, starters go down and starters have to be relieved," Pennington said Monday on "The Michael Kay Show" on 1050 ESPN New York. "So if you’re a backup, you have to believe you can go in there and believe you can make something happen. That’s so important for me, to have that confidence that I can look Coach Sparano and Coach (Rex) Ryan in the eye and say, 'Yeah, you can trust my sholder.’ Right now, I don’t know if that’s the case or not."

Pennington, 35, he of the multiple shoulder surgeries and major knee surgery, didn't play last season and said he's "leaning toward retirement." He spoke glowingly of Sanchez, with whom he met recently to discuss Sparano's system. He said they had "really good sessions," noting they also talked about quarterback play in general and Pennington's meticulous preparation habits.

"Just talking to him, I think his demeanor is really good," Pennington said. "I think he has a hunger and desire to get better and take some of the criticisms he has received and turn them into something that can make him better, and learn from those."

Pennington was the ideal person to tutor Sanchez because he also knows the Brian Schottenheimer system, and he was able to help Sanchez with the differences in terminology between the Schottenheimer and Sparano offenses.

This is good news. No way CTM could stay away from the board if Chad signs with the Jets. COME ON CHAD!! LOL

hey-why-so-serious.jpg

this....god I hate Chad Pennington.

Honestly, this would be a set back. Chad is not nearly the same QB he was back then after all the injuries what can he bring to the table?

His passing now is worse than Sanchez, Look at Sanchez's completion rate. Come on Guys. We all loved him but we can not get our heartbroken again.

This is good news. No way CTM could stay away from the board if Chad signs with the Jets. COME ON CHAD!! LOL

I wouldn't bet on that one. This topic of Chad's return came up last offseason when it came to light that the Dolphins weren't bringing him back, and at the time, he and I both expressed a sentiment very similar to that of dbatesman in this thread.

I wouldn't bet on that one. This topic of Chad's return came up last offseason when it came to light that the Dolphins weren't bringing him back, and at the time, he and I both expressed a sentiment very similar to that of dbatesman in this thread.

You say that now. But if it happens the "ACM" light will light up the night ski and like weak armed hating moths you will come to fly the flicker and it will be good. I actually just PM's Westcoastoffense to hit his boy Letsgojets up in case it happens.

The perfect storm:

1) Manning signs with Miami, Jets don't make a serious push for him to spare Sanchez's feelings in case they don't get Manning

2) SIgn Pennington as backup/mentor

~done

Ryan openly mocked Chad before the Dolphins / Balt playoff game in 08.. I have doubts

It's the only thing that makes me feel even slightly better about the situation. I can't imagine how a DC who coached even a single game against Chadwick would want him anywhere near his team.

I'm not sure if the fact that it took 2 years for Mangini to figure that out was more a testament to how much he sucked as a DC or a HC.

Archived