Post: Jets considering "completely shaking up their franchise"

dbatesman

I think all things being equal, Matt Ryan makes us a lot better. Think about how many more picks we get too... We don't trade for Favre, we don't trade up for Sanchez... This team has more depth and a better QB right now. Huge improvement.

Ryan may not be elite, but if you're right about this team, you'd have to think he's enough.

Matt Ryan is overrated IMO. Chokes in playoff games like its nobodies business. I dont think he makes us that much better at all, personally. Is he better than Sanchez, hell yes, but I'll give credit to Sanchez, he's made plays in the playoffs Matty Ice just hasnt made with superior offensive talent.

And I dont see how Farve example equates in this debate. I thought we were talking about tanking meaningless wins late in the year to secure draft position. And BTW, the Farve trade rid us of Pennington....so theres that.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ANyone who thinks the Jets don't have a good core and solid coaching is out of their tree... THe giants had elite QB play and a pass rush and needed a ccowboys collapse to even make the playoffs.. THe jets had TERRIBLE QB play and were 1 game off... A healthy manning on last years Jets team and we win 13 at least

Everything about, this. Except you can't expect Manning to play with the same OL play. Maybe it's not the players as some are saying and it had more to do with Schotty scheme. But guys like Hunter and probably won't land you Manning at 36 and his 4 neck surgeries.

Matt Ryan is overrated IMO. Chokes in playoff games like its nobodies business. I dont think he makes us that much better at all, personally. Is he better than Sanchez, hell yes, but I'll give credit to Sanchez, he's made plays in the playoffs Matty Ice just hasnt made with superior offensive talent.

And I dont see how Farve example equates in this debate. I thought we were talking about tanking meaningless wins late in the year to secure draft position. And BTW, the Farve trade rid us of Pennington....so theres that.

Ryan would have rid us of pennington too.

And, we would not have needed to trade for favre, that's the point. So, we'd have had those picks too.

Everything about, this. Except you can't expect Manning to play with the same OL play. Maybe it's not the players as some are saying and it had more to do with Schotty scheme. But guys like Hunter and probably won't land you Manning at 36 and his 4 neck surgeries.

AND SF's line is worse.. And manning prior starting LT is now a backup RT with Giants... Manning would make the line better...

Realisitcally, we need to swap out 1 guy.. not tough to do

On behalf of all of those here who haven't played short-season A-ball, AAU against the likes of Half-man Half-amazing, poker with David Garrard, or mahjong with Jack Del Rio's housekeeper, I want to thank you for this insight as to how real athletes think and respond to locker room speeches.

"Everyone cool if we win this game so we can drop out of the McFadden sweepstakes?"

Well, for fans that have a more realistic outlook, it's not about the spin, but the fact that while "Priority #1" is winning, it's just not going to happen this year for a lot of teams. They know it before the season starts. Do you think in the Jacksonville Jaguars front office, they were shocked when the Superbowl started to slip away in the first quarter of the season.

In line with bitonti's and to a lesser degree, your claim, we should be happy about beating the Titans in OT in 2007 taking us from 3-13 to 4-12, and out of Matt Ryan territory and into Vernon Gholston territory. So glad we got that win. Brought me a whole bunch of joy that day.

No. I get where you are coming from. I'm not even sure why you are shaping this into an argument, my simple point is that the term "rebuilding year" is PR spin.

Every year, every team tries to do two things. Win first. Develop, or build, second. Those are the top 2 priorities, always. When the winning isn't there, then there is a priority shift. As you suggest with the Jags. However, it is ALWAYS reactionary to shift from win to build.

It really doesn't matter enough that we've now gone back and forth about it... tbh.

December 30, 2007.

A meaningless OT victory against KC "propels" the Jets to a 4-12 record, landing them the #6 pick in the draft instead of #3, with which they select Vernon Gholston.

EDIT: ninja'd.

Nice.

I think you get my overall point though... or not.

So by redoing Brick's contract and cutting Sanchez you have about 15-16M to go get him.

Possibly still enough room to get an aging vet like Wayne, Moss etc if you have him to help recruit.

Then you have your draft picks to either help solidify the OL or hit on a pass rusher...or both If you pick right. I'm just not worried about safety if you can make all of the above happen. NFL safeties to me are about 5-6 elites and then you just have the rest.

so, i was watching a baseball commentator talk about a catcher and how valuable he was to his team(I am pretty sure it was about Russell Martin of the Yankees). He threw out a stat and I forgot what it was called and it actually put a value in terms of wins that it would boost the Yankees if he was in the lineup. I think it was about him being a FA next year and the other catchers that were out there and how they compared in this same stat. I wonder if there is a stat for QBs that can actually guage the number of wins it would boost the Jets if we picked up a different QB, any QB. I still think we go with the sanchize this upcoming year. he dissappointed last year but we cant just sh!tcan him for a subpar season imo.

I just want this Peyton Manning noise to stop. It's a bad idea. Period.

If Manning were healthy he'd still be with the Colts, Luck or not. they'd draft Luck and keep Manning for a swan song.

but he's not healthy and his arm is shot.

HE's gonna sign with some team and suck. Please let it not be the Jets.

Someone needs to let Jim Irsay know that no team ever plans to rebuild prior to the beginning of the season, but only after they've already lost a bunch of games. I mean, if he was in the know, he certainly wouldn't have said "We're going forward as a rebuilding team with salary cap problems", amirite?

If Manning were healthy he'd still be with the Colts, Luck or not. they'd draft Luck and keep Manning for a swan song.

Joe? j/k

No way the Colts would be prepared to keep both and drop over 40 mil on the QB position alone, no matter what the circumstance, healthy or not. Terrible allocation of team capital. Makes zero financial sense. Can't disagree more with this thought process.

No way the Colts would be prepared to keep both and drop over 40 mil on the QB position alone, no matter what the circumstance, healthy or not. Terrible allocation of team capital. Makes zero financial sense. Can't disagree more with this thought process.

considering how important the QB position is in the league, and how bad the Colts were without Manning (from playoff contender to 2-14) there's really no amount of money that's too much to spend on HOF QBs. So what you get another undrafted guard. Big damn deal.

Jets fans live in this bubble where we need a perfect OL and a perfect WR corp and a perfect RB to suppliment our mediocre QB. and it's not just Sanchez we've lived like this forever... since Namath basically.

if you have a healthy Manning you don't need any of those things. You can have a 2 win team around him at every other position, and win a Super Bowl.

the reason they cut manning wasn't just the money. it was that old Manning is gone. That guy who was the 4x MVP and 11 time pro bowler is gone. What's replaced him is a slightly better Chad. Noodle Arm city.

considering how important the QB position is in the league, and how bad the Colts were without Manning (from playoff contender to 2-14) there's really no amount of money that's too much to spend on HOF QBs. So what you get another undrafted guard. Big damn deal.

Jets fans live in this bubble where we need a perfect OL and a perfect WR corp and a perfect RB to suppliment our mediocre QB. and it's not just Sanchez we've lived like this forever... since Namath basically.

if you have a healthy Manning you don't need any of those things. You can have a 2 win team around him at every other position, and win a Super Bowl.

the reason they cut manning wasn't just the money. it was that old Manning is gone. That guy who was the 4x MVP and 11 time pro bowler is gone. What's replaced him is a slightly better Chad. Noodle Arm city.

need to protect them or you get a broken arm qb

need to have receivers that can seperate or you have a ton of ints/sacks

need to have a running game to semi balance your attack

imo

This entire claim is nothing more than speculation. Impossible to prove at this point.

No amount that is too much? Do you really believe that?

This entire claim is nothing more than speculation. Impossible to prove at this point.

just like it's speculation that he's healthy. Manning isn't gonna hold a pro day style workout and he's not even gonna do it in private. He's not gonna let team doctors prod and poke him.

Whoever signs this player will have to do so hoping that the nerves will regenerate in 6 months. It will take a huge amount of cash and even more blind faith. Talk about speculation, signing Manning is the most speculative move a team can make right now.

just like it's speculation that he's healthy. Manning isn't gonna hold a pro day style workout and he's not even gonna do it in private. He's not gonna let team doctors prod and poke him.

Whoever signs this player will have to do so hoping that the nerves will regenerate in 6 months. It will take a huge amount of cash and even more blind faith. Talk about speculation, signing Manning is the most speculative move a team can make right now.

I disagree both are speculating. Saying he will be healthy and capable of performing at a high level after more than one doctor (including the Colts doc) said the same thing makes it more fact based, as opposed to speculative. Saying he will be the next Chad Pennington noodle arm, in spite of medical expertise is pure speculation, however.

Talk about speculation, signing Manning is the most speculative move a team can make right now.

Even if that's the case, taking money out of the equation (since it's not mine and I don't care), is the alternative of sticking with Sanchez, bringing in some half-assed competition for him, and hoping to get semi-competent QB play any less speculative?

It's blind faith either way and I'd rather put my faith in the physical rehabilitation of has-been than the mental improvement of a never-was.

+1.....but if he is healthy...just imagine that!

Don't agree...its called $28million bucks, he was NOT going to get that regardless of if he was ok or not.......

http://www.nypost.co...tm_content=Jets

Buried in a boilerplate "the Jets will inquire about Manning" story is this little nugget:

No elaboration on the latter. It's a little late in the offseason to be jettisoning coaches or execs, so I assume it means we're considering spending a high pick on a QB and/or dumping as much salary as possible and doing a top-to-bottom rebuild.

Feel free to speculate.

They sure have showed their intentions by paying Holmes his money and keeping him!

Archived