Mark Sanchez gets 5 year extension

Lupz27

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Mark we were trying to get a better QB but he doesn't want ****all to do with us so we're stuck with you, how about a two year extension.

Tanny said they have been negotiating for 3 weeks, and said he looked into Manning, but was pushing extension with Mark at the same time.

edit 5 year deal

I instantly like this move. it's the double down. the troop surge. and one of the only ways to free cap room before FA opens next week. Mike Tannenbaum has to make this move cause if Sanchez is bad he's getting fired either way.

I like Mark Sanchez as a human being, as a QB he needs to get better but overall Im glad he's staying.

Post image for Mark Sanchez Gets A Contract Extension

The New York Jets held a press conference tonight, shortly after it was announced that they were pulling out of the running for Peyton Manning.  GM Mike Tannenbaum announced that the Jets have signed Mark Sanchez to a new five year deal.  This is essentially a three year contract extension added to the remaining two years on the original deal.  Tannenbaum told the media that they explored the possibility of adding Peyton Manning but also stated they have been negotiating the new deal for Sanchez over the past few weeks.

For more information and to see fan reaction, be sure to visit the

di
di

T85oJtWcsNQ

View the full article

Interesting. Any numbers? What does this save?

in the short term possibly a huge amount. Sanchez had roughly 3 mil roster bonus and 9 mil salary. He gets all that money guaranteed but suffice to say, his cap hit this year will be much smaller. this could free up room for Pouha or another move they want to make (the timing is interesting, with FA about to open next week...)

Jets give Sanchez contract extension

Share on twitter Share on facebook Share on myspace Share on stumbleupon Share on digg Share on fark Share on reddit Share on email | More Sharing ServicesMore icon_print.gif Print

10:33 PM, March 9, 2012 ι By BRIAN COSTELLO

The Jets have given quarterback Mark Sanchez a three-year contract extension, officially ending their brief pursuit of Peyton Manning.

The team announced the new agreement with Sanchez on Friday night.

GM Mike Tannenbaum said the negotiations had been ongoing for several weeks. He confirmed to team looked into Manning but said the Jets are comfortable with Sanchez as their starter.

The deal adds three years to the two Sanchez had remaining on his contract. It is worth and additional $40.5 million ($13.5 per season), according to a source.

Sanchez had been the topic of much debate since the Colts officially released Manning this week. The new deal likely will clear salary-cap space for the team and will be viewed as an effort to repair any hurt feelings that may have been caused by the Manning speculation.

Sanchez is entering the fourth year with the Jets.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/jets_give_sanchez_contract_extension_DesYs644pS83XNOVQeukgM#ixzz1ogMcRO1L

It is worth and additional $40.5 million ($13.5 per season), according to a source.

Sanchez had been the topic of much debate since the Colts officially released Manning this week. The new deal likely will clear salary-cap space for the team and will be viewed as an effort to repair any hurt feelings that may have been caused by the Manning speculation.

Do the Jets have any idea how much they've hurt my feelings over the last 40 years? I can be bought off for a lot less.

Could it be more obvious that the Jets fell on their face with Manning? This was clearly plan B.

I don't know the terms, but I assume Mark gets more guaranteed money somewhere in all this. Whether Sanchez pans out or not, I still think it's stupidly risky to invest more years into an unproven commodity. But probably the Jets had to resort to this since Plan A failed.

If there is 27 million guaranteed for the next 2 seasons, the Jets could knock Sanchez' cap hit for 2012 could be as low as 6 million in 2012, 25 million signing bonus puts 5 mill on every season cap hit, but this makes cutting him impossible without severe cap ramifications in the future. Could be base salary as 2012 1 mill 2013 1 mill 2014 10 mill 2015 15 mill 2016 16 mill, plus add 5 mill in cap hit to every season, so 12' 6 mill, 13' 6 mill, 14' 15 mill, 15' 20 mill, 16' 21 mill.

I would be more inclined to believe he will have a huge 2013 salary something like 20 million because of the new TV contracts, and the significant cap increase. This could push Sanchez down to 7 mill cap figure in 2012, saving like 10 Million on this years cap.

If there is 27 million guaranteed for the next 2 seasons, the Jets could knock Sanchez' cap hit for 2012 could be as low as 6 million in 2012, 25 million signing bonus puts 5 mill on every season cap hit, but this makes cutting him impossible without severe cap ramifications in the future. Could be base salary as 2012 1 mill 2013 1 mill 2014 10 mill 2015 15 mill 2016 16 mill, plus add 5 mill in cap hit to every season, so 12' 6 mill, 13' 6 mill, 14' 15 mill, 15' 20 mill, 16' 21 mill.

I would be more inclined to believe he will have a huge 2013 salary something like 20 million because of the new TV contracts, and the significant cap increase. This could push Sanchez down to 7 mill cap figure in 2012, saving like 10 Million on this years cap.

Edit guaranteed money now only 20.5 over next 2 seasons, this could be a Holmes like deal with Samchez only counting like 1-5 million in 2012 cap creating significant space!

If Manning was out then there was no better option than Mark. Surprised they've made him basically uncutable for the foreseeable future but it is what it is.

Perhaps there was a lot more to this pinched nerve business than anyone ever let on. I expect a resurgence.

The Jets had to lower Sanchez 2012 cap number it was $14.25 million way to high. They took the easy road and extended him spreading the money out surely reducing his 2012 cap hit. I haven't heard anything about a signing bonus, yet, but it looks like you will be stuck with this contract for at least two more seasons maybe three.

Archived