Mark Sanchez gets 5 year extension

Lupz27

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are so predictable....If the Jets sign Peyton, Tanny is an idiot signing an old man

The Jets rework Sanchez' deal, basically guaranteeing his final 2 years of his rookie contract, Tanny is an idiot because he doesn't know sh1t

Or maybe, juuuuust maybe, he's an idiot for getting the Jets into this kerfuffle in the first place.

Look at it from a pure numbers perspective they had to either cut Sanchez or extend him. I and others said this months ago. letting him play out the back loaded rookie deal was the worst of the possible options. It would leave the Jets cap constrained and lacking direction.

Whether you agree with Sanchez or not there was no point in letting him play out the rest of his rookie deal. That's the wrong way to manage an NFL team.

edit 5 year deal

I instantly like this move. it's the double down. the troop surge. and one of the only ways to free cap room before FA opens next week. Mike Tannenbaum has to make this move cause if Sanchez is bad he's getting fired either way.

I like Mark Sanchez as a human being, as a QB he needs to get better but overall Im glad he's staying.

I pretty much agree with this 100%.

They are almsot certainly wrong. This is called throwing good money after bad. the move was to cut bait on Sanchez and get a real QB, not see that his grandchildren want for nothing in 2080.

WHAT REAL QB, NAME ME 1 REAL QB AVAILABLE FOR THE JETS TO SIGN.

RIGHT THERE ISN'T ANY!

Look at it from a pure numbers perspective they had to either cut Sanchez or extend him. I and others said this months ago. letting him play out the back loaded rookie deal was the worst of the possible options. It would leave the Jets cap constrained and lacking direction.

Whether you agree with Sanchez or not there was no point in letting him play out the rest of his rookie deal. That's the wrong way to manage an NFL team.

Feel like it was a necessary evil.

As much as i hate Sanchez, I dont see the big deal. They made the investment. Its a sign of trust and a little bit of a message to those who had issues with him. Clearly Manning, Luck, RG3 are not realistic answers and I dont blame them for making a play of Scott Mitchel, I mean Matt Flynn.

The team is still good and win despite him, hopefully they add some talent around him and get mediocre play like 2010 and they win enough ball games to get to playoffs and get hot at the right time. Thats all it takes these days. Just sucks we have to watch this POS for another 4 years. He's really hard to root for. I suspect they'll continue to take QB's late in the draft and try to find a hidden gem.

WHAT REAL QB, NAME ME 1 REAL QB AVAILABLE FOR THE JETS TO SIGN.

RIGHT THERE ISN'T ANY!

Exactly, Flynn is a fraud btw. I'm fine with this really. Don't love next years crop of QB either and they're just not ever going to admit we are in rebuilding with the combination of Woody, Tanny and Rex. Haven't been a fan of Sanchez lately but he's probably their best chance right now. There still is a chance he turns the corner for the record people, lol. Ma gad.

Exactly, Flynn is a fraud btw. I'm fine with this really. Don't love next years crop of QB either and they're just not ever going to admit we are in rebuilding with the combination of Woody, Tanny and Rex. Haven't been a fan of Sanchez lately but he's probably their best chance right now. There still is a chance he turns the corner for the record people, lol. Ma gad.

Yep. I'd say the chance he turns the corner is small, but its definitely out there, somewhere, I hope. lol

As much as i hate Sanchez, I dont see the big deal. They made the investment. Its a sign of trust and a little bit of a message to those who had issues with him. Clearly Manning, Luck, RG3 are not realistic answers and I dont blame them for making a play of Scott Mitchel, I mean Matt Flynn.

The team is still good and win despite him, hopefully they add some talent around him and get mediocre play like 2010 and they win enough ball games to get to playoffs and get hot at the right time. Thats all it takes these days. Just sucks we have to watch this POS for another 4 years. He's really hard to root for. I suspect they'll continue to take QB's late in the draft and try to find a hidden gem.

Yes Yes and Yes. All that said WHAT I CAN'T ******* DEAL WITH IS SAYING YOUR GROUND AND POUND with Slausonjag And Huntersh*t. And either McNight needs to bulk up or they need another RB to carry the load with Greene. And go get a ******* blocking TE who can like, actually block without a penalty every other down.

This is one of the best posts on this board in a long time. Spoken like a true fan.

Whether you like Sanchez or not, it seems this was the only intelligent thing to do.

Getting Manning would have been a mistake, IMO, but that was never really an option anyway. Can we win with Sanchez? We already have, though not all the way.

I just really respect this post coming from you JiF. It shows an objectivity that has been hard to find on this forum lately.

This is one of the best posts on this board in a long time. Spoken like a true fan.

Whether you like Sanchez or not, it seems this was the only intelligent thing to do.

Getting Manning would have been a mistake, IMO, but that was never really an option anyway. Can we win with Sanchez? We already have, though not all the way.

I just really respect this post coming from you JiF. It shows an objectivity that has been hard to find on this forum lately.

Dont get me wrong, its not my ideal situation. I'd love to upgrade Sanchez, I'm really not a big fan of the guy...but there wasnt a realistic option out there and this was a move to show a little faith and create some cap space.

I get the you dont reward a guy for being a pos stance but I'd prefer this than giving him 9 mil this year and having no room to add talent.

Dont get me wrong, its not my ideal situation. I'd love to upgrade Sanchez, I'm really not a big fan of the guy...but there wasnt a realistic option out there and this was a move to show a little faith and create some cap space.

I get the you dont reward a guy for being a pos stance but I'd prefer this than giving him 9 mil this year and having no room to add talent.

I get it completely. If you look at the bigger picture (The entire team) rather than single out one's dislike for one particular player, then this move makes sense. Your post indicates that you did just that. I get that you don't like Sanchez, and you have reasons that are compelling. However, I respect your ability to look at the bigger picture, and also maintain hope for a player that at this current time, you don't like.

I, am holding out hope that Sanchez will be the QB he was supposed to be. I'm a bit more optimistic than most in that regard I suppose. Does it make me a dumb football fan? Maybe, but I'll tell you what, it's a lot happier in my jet fandom, holding on to hope and positive perception, than to try to prove myself as being some uber-intelligent fan. I'd rather enjoy whatever the Jets bring me, as getting all bent out shape does nothing for me.

With that in mind, I'm glad we're staying the course, and it's an intelligent move. For me, this is a win-win.

@TheJetsStream: #Jets QB Mark Sanchez on his 3-year extension: "It gives the team just a reminder that I’m the leader of this team." #nfl

This is almost as repulsive as some of the things pussington said when he was here. It gives the team a reminder that I'm the leader of this team...good god... FML for becoming a fan of this god awful franchise..

I get it completely. If you look at the bigger picture (The entire team) rather than single out one's dislike for one particular player, then this move makes sense. Your post indicates that you did just that. I get that you don't like Sanchez, and you have reasons that are compelling. However, I respect your ability to look at the bigger picture, and also maintain hope for a player that at this current time, you don't like.

I, am holding out hope that Sanchez will be the QB he was supposed to be. I'm a bit more optimistic than most in that regard I suppose. Does it make me a dumb football fan? Maybe, but I'll tell you what, it's a lot happier in my jet fandom, holding on to hope and positive perception, than to try to prove myself as being some uber-intelligent fan. I'd rather enjoy whatever the Jets bring me, as getting all bent out shape does nothing for me.

With that in mind, I'm glad we're staying the course, and it's an intelligent move. For me, this is a win-win.

Ha! Well, thats the right perspective. Dont let these doom and gloomers around here get you down.

OK, but we could have just cut him all around and gone after Eli. Cutting him would have done the same.

I made a point that it was an option to just cut him, save 9.2 then get a Henne for 3 and play with the extra 6 mill along with the 7 from Brick and go get Super Mario and resign Pouha, then draft DeCastro...possibly draft a RT in round 2 and literally practice what you preach with a dominant OL, power back and a pretty killer Defense. But restructure and extending was the other option....which was better than status quo. Time to move on with what you got.

This really isn't the end of the world. We were going to have to commit to Sanchez anyway since Manning wasn't coming here. Instead of doing a simply restructure of the contract to free up cap space we did it this way. Sanchez is guaranteed to be here for the next few years, but that was going to happen anyway. The kid isn't a complete scrub, and we have done some really nice things in his short tenure. If we can ever get back to building a legitimate roster we will be fine. The world did not just spin off its axis...

This kind of knee jerk signing is exactly what happens when the GM and HC are on the hot seat -- they have no qualms about vivisecting the team's future in one last ditch attempt at redemption. Thank God I still have boxing and bull fighting, because Sunday's are dead to me now.

Archived