Different rules for different teams

DonCorleone

Sean Payton is suspended for a whole season and fined $500,000 for knowing what was going on with the bounty deal. The Saints lose two number two picks...and so on and so on.

So if spygate had no effect on the outcome of a game, why would the Patriots lose a FIRST rounder and Belli also be fined $500,000? Why were the tapes destroyed and why was there no one year suspension for the culprit? Sorry, but in my opinion, the favoritism is just too evident. Reality is that admitting that spygate has had effect on the outcome of a game, would be too close to game fixing for the NFL to actually admit. Shame on the NFL for having different rules for different teams. Kraft is one powerful Mudda.

Twto things seperate this from Spygate-Payton demonstrably lied to the commissioner.

And bigger than anything-the NFL is faced with the Duerson injury lawsuit and probably a host of others in the future from retired players who will seek to win big money settlements against the NFL. Goodell is a turd, but I understnad why he came down so heavy. It will take one successful Duerson-type case to make a mess of the NFL's finances. Goodell wants to put it out that he would never tolerate any intentionally-caused injury players and coaches, no matter that merely playing NFL football definitively and unavoidably will cause you major havoc physically long-term.

The only thing I can think of what the saints did cost the league money with insurance and medical issues. For the pats the league made money with the whole tom Brady story and the 'dynasty' thing. What the pats did was worse, homerism aside.

Twto things seperate this from Spygate-Payton demonstrably lied to the commissioner.

And bigger than anything-the NFL is faced with the Duerson injury lawsuit and probably a host of others in the future from retired players who will seek to win big money settlements against the NFL. Goodell is a turd, but I understnad why he came down so heavy. It will take one successful Duerson-type case to make a mess of the NFL's finances. Goodell wants to put it out that he would never tolerate any intentionally-caused injury players and coaches, no matter that merely playing NFL football definitively and unavoidably will cause you major havoc physically long-term.

I agree with you on most except that if spygate had no effect on the outcome of a game....There would have benn no loss of a number one. No fine of $500,000 and the tapes would have been released. IMO, cheatting is as bad, if not worse. You cannot fine somone half a mill and not suspend him.

the reason the Saints didn't lose a first rounder is because they don't have one. Goodell took the highest pick they had this year.

(last year New Orleans traded their pick to the Pats for a trade up back into the 1st for Mark Ingram)

The crux of Goodell's wrath is the fact that the problems were addressed with the Saints, who assured the commish that they would handle the matter and then didn't. Lying was as big a factor as the acts themselves in the degree of punishment. I despise the Pats and like a good conspiracy theory as much as the next man, but the whining and sniveling about double standards and the Pats getting a pass are getting old.

Spygate should have received far worse punishment that Bountygate.

But Bountygate is classic case of doing the wrong thing at the wrong time. At a time when the players want nothing to do with a 18 game schedule and are making lot of noises about how bad its going to be for player health and the league wants to do pretend that its all about player safety so it can further its case to go to 18 game scheduling and reap the financial benefits that come with having 2 extra games, its very inconvenient to have a team officially have a program of intentionally hurting other players. A few years ago the league would not have even conducted an investigation.

Spygate should have received far worse punishment that Bountygate.

But Bountygate is classic case of doing the wrong thing at the wrong time. At a time when the players want nothing to do with a 18 game schedule and are making lot of noises about how bad its going to be for player health and the league wants to do pretend that its all about player safety so it can further its case to go to 18 game scheduling and reap the financial benefits that come with having 2 extra games, its very inconvenient to have a team officially have a program of intentionally hurting other players. A few years ago the league would not have even conducted an investigation.

Good points. and very possible.

Bingo. No one was suing the NFL over Spygate.

Always look towards the money.

what a bunch of babies....delusional babies...misinformed too.

BTW, trying to get someone taken out of a game in a stretcher is pretty bad, folks. Yeesh.

So is cheating at the super bowl in attempts to have an upper hand in the game

I found a good article on this just now.

http://www.steelerad...-more-laughable

That's a good article? Just a sour grapes piece through and through. The writer discounts the loss of a first round pick as a slap on the wrist. Essentially, the Pats lost their compensation for trading their SB MVP to Seattle. and that's nothing? Also, it claims the Pats filmed practice walk throughs, which was reported by the Herald prior to the SB. The story was later retracted and Matt Walsh, who claimed to the league to have copies of those tapes, later admitted he never filmed practices. But don't let the facts get in the way of a good Spygate soul cleansing.

I'm not niave enough to think I'll ever change even one Jets' fans (or Steelers' fan for that matter) opinion on the relevance of Spygate but if you truly want to read a good article, have at this one:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/199345-the-truth-about-spygate-punishing-success-and-promoting-parity

That's a good article? Just a sour grapes piece through and through. The writer discounts the loss of a first round pick as a slap on the wrist. Essentially, the Pats lost their compensation for trading their SB MVP to Seattle. and that's nothing? Also, it claims the Pats filmed practice walk throughs, which was reported by the Herald prior to the SB. The story was later retracted and Matt Walsh, who claimed to the league to have copies of those tapes, later admitted he never filmed practices. But don't let the facts get in the way of a good Spygate soul cleansing.

I'm not niave enough to think I'll ever change even one Jets' fans (or Steelers' fan for that matter) opinion on the relevance of Spygate but if you truly want to read a good article, have at this one:

http://bleacherrepor...romoting-parity

While most people here are a bit irrational regarding Spygate, the fact that you reference bleacherreport is pretty funny....

While most people here are a bit irrational regarding Spygate, the fact that you reference bleacherreport is pretty funny....

I know, it's often a crappy source. But read the article if you have a few spare minutes. It makes a few valid points I haven't seen written elsewhere. (I also could give you a link to a Boston Herald piece, but would that really be any better?)

Cheating and challenging the integrity of the game. Ok in Goodell's book.

Essentially doing your job with an extra little bonus on top. Not ok in Goodell's book.

Yeah, he's good at this job.

Well obviously not as there was a stiff monetary penalty as well as a loss of a first rounder...What I never understood, was the lack of a suspension. Yesterday's well deserved punishment, just reopened the doors to this for me.

Sean Payton is suspended for a whole season and fined $500,000 for knowing what was going on with the bounty deal. The Saints lose two number two picks...and so on and so on.

So if spygate had no effect on the outcome of a game, why would the Patriots lose a FIRST rounder and Belli also be fined $500,000? Why were the tapes destroyed and why was there no one year suspension for the culprit? Sorry, but in my opinion, the favoritism is just too evident. Reality is that admitting that spygate has had effect on the outcome of a game, would be too close to game fixing for the NFL to actually admit. Shame on the NFL for having different rules for different teams. Kraft is one powerful Mudda.

I hear you. It sounds like the player safety issue and the Saints lying were the two things that made the penalty so harsh.

I hear you. It sounds like the player safety issue and the Saints lying were the two things that made the penalty so harsh.

Am I misremembering that Goodell sent out a memo before the season SpyGate broke telling teams to stop filming?

You do realize Goodell was a former Jets' employee right?

Spygate was again....not that the Patriots 'stole' signals, but they "recorded them". Stealing signals is a part of the game. It is not and a team has never been punished for stealing signals. Goodell said as much. The Dolphins even went to a local TV station to geta tape of a Patriots game used the signals to shutout the Patriots. They were never punished.

Goodell's memo said that teams should not use a video recording device. It did not say that teams should not steal signals.

Recording them was wrong and far from fixing the game.

So is cheating at the super bowl in attempts to have an upper hand in the game

I am assuming you are alluding to the alleged taping of a Ram walkthru that was investigated and proved entirely false.

Listen, you all want to hang your hat on "cheatriots" go for it. Enjoy.

I am assuming you are alluding to the alleged taping of a Ram walkthru that was investigated and proved entirely false.

Listen, you all want to hang your hat on "cheatriots" go for it. Enjoy.

At the end of the day, that is all they have.

Obviously.. This is 100% about tryign to head off lawsuits that are coming

Archived