Tebow picked NY to become a starter again...

A Jet from Oz

I would only react to this article if it said Tebow came here because he wants to be a backup and has no designs to ever be a starter. If he sees himself as a potential starter here, go make it happen. If he plays well and we win, good for me. There is no QB controversy here unless Sanchez plays poorly. Go out and play well Mark and you will have the job for as long as you want it. Up til now he hasn't, but has had a tomato can as a back up. We finally got a back up that can win a game and everyone is up in arms. This is what good teams do, create competition.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And for as much as Tanny may not have shown patience at the majority of the positions on the team, he's shown quite the opposite at the QB position, and this idea that he'll move on from not just one, but two QBs in the same offseason is likely just wishful thinking. I could very well be wrong there and I really hope I am, but I wouldn't bet on it. I think at best the Jets will throw some mid-to-late rate pick on a QB who's unlikely to become anything, will get buried third on the depth chart while this fiasco continues for a few more years.

This will be four years for Sanchez as the starter. If he doesn't show real improvement this year, they will have shown enough patience with him. If a FA becomes available that they believe is a guaranteed upgrade, they will make a Favre or Manning type move to get him. I have no doubts about that.

And they don't have to move on from both QB's to do that, either. They'd probably trade Sanchez in that scenario, and keep Tebow as the change of pace/backup. Tebow is by no means the heir apparent. I'm sure he'll be the subject of a lot of in house conversation, but he has no guarantees, either.

That's unfortunately true. But I'd at least prefer a backup who wants the starting job, as opposed to a player who's sole intentions are to be a backup and collect a paycheck. Not a ringing endorsement, but I do feel better about our backup quarterback situation now, than I did when we signed Stanton.

Never in my life would I have thought I'd have to defend Tebow in any way, shape or form. I should have to turn in my LSU fan card right now. But seriously, do you think any of these "journalists" sit back at the end of the day, look at their work and just weep??

...and the sooner we learn this the better. If we are going to have a change I want this to happen sooner than later.

Tebow's not at fault here. He sees Sanchez stunk, thinks he can outplay him and is out to do that. Exactly what we needed ... The issue is the extension.. If Sanchez was not extended, and Tebow came in and exposed him, I'd be thrilled. Same thing with Favre, Favre didn't work out, but I <3 him cause he rid us of the Penningdisease... Problem now is that if Tebow exposes Sanchez, we're left with almost 10% of our cap for next 2 years being devoted to an attractive bench warmer... will make it very difficult to compete

This.

Its amazing to me that all these people crying about how Sanchez will be butthurt, are all the same people that whined about him being coddled, not having any competition behind him, blah, blah, blah...

I highly doubt you can find anyone that fits that bill, more likely, we're still whining about the extension

Here's the thing... While its already been decided here on JN that Sanchez sucks and always will suck, the Jets haven't come to that conclusion yet. So they don't see it as guaranteeing failure. They see it as bringing in a guy fairly inexpensively who can gain some yards and eat some clock on a select number of plays each game while simultaneously sending a signal to their starter that despite his contract he's not locked into the starter's job.

And in no way, shape, or form do I think the presence of these QB's stops them from addressing the position as soon as next year. If they decide to agree with JN at the end of the season that these are the two worst QB's in the NFL, Tanny will once again look to overpay with picks and cash for the next QB he hopes will save his job. and he won't wait. If Tanny's demonstrated one thing in his tenure at the helm, it's that he's not a patient man.

The fear is that Tebow's presence and everything that comes with it will rush that decision. If they want to give Sanchez every opportunity to keep the job, then they should do it (which I believe was your position). If they don't believe in Sanchez, they should draft his replacement in the second round. Myself, I would have hedged my bets by bringing in Matt Hasselbeck or Jason Campbell. Neither guy puts half as much pressure on Sanchez, or Rex, or Sparano the way Tebow does. Tebow is the really hot French au pair you hire to live in your house the second your marriage starts to get boring.

Agree with this as well. The key to me and why I like the idea of Tebow. When Sanchez throws another pick 6 he will hear the boo birds. If doesn't have the sack to play through this then he doesn't deserve the job. To the Sanchez detractors, criticize him all you want but he's a better passer than Tebow and he should win and keep the job. The major question for Sanchez is mental toughness/discipline and with Tebow on the roster we find out if Sanchez can master his weaknesses or moves on to another location.

I don't many QBs that can handle what's about to happen this season. The backup has a huge following and is waaaay more popular than the starter, Denver let him go for a reason and I don't believe they even have a backup behind peyton. seriously I don't know any QB that can handle what's about to happen to this franchise. This season will be a train wreck no doubt in my head

Stop. You're being to realistic here. Please become a drama queen and act like this team is going no where, are stupid as hell, have hit rock bottom and are the laughing stock of the NFL.

I'm curious, are you aware of the fantastic irony of you referring to others as drama queens, while remainder of your post is the height of being a drama queen? I'm pretty sure it's possible to have the opinion that the Jets made a stupid move that will hurt the team long term without saying what you claim is being said. Maybe you should try supporting your stance with something other than statements that different opinions than yours are wrong because you say so, as opposed to fabricating a stance for others.

The main reason I want this to work (other than the fact that I am a Jets fan and want to see my team do well, duh) is that I so want you to be wrong.

You want me to be wrong abotu extending Sanchez? lol... okay.. Even if he plays well, will be tough to prove, but have it

I hope he does. Why would you want a football player on your team who didn't think that he was good enough to be the starter?? The bottom line is that if Sanchez isn't good enough to keep Tebow from starting, then our season is screwed anyways. Knowing 100% that Tebow is going to work his a$$ off to become that starter and not be out partying with jailbait, should make Sanchez work even harder. If he crumbles under the pressure, then he doesn't deserve to be our QB anyways. I don't see how this is a bad thing.

perfectly said.

I don't many QBs that can handle what's about to happen this season. The backup has a huge following and is waaaay more popular than the starter, Denver let him go for a reason and I don't believe they even have a backup behind peyton. seriously I don't know any QB that can handle what's about to happen to this franchise. This season will be a train wreck no doubt in my head

Hahahahhahahahaa.... ooooga booga whats about to happen this horrible catastrophic seasons of doooooooommmmm....

Unreal.

Oh, its hilarious to me...really dont get it. Everyone wanted Schotty gone, they got their wish but it wasnt good enough. Everyone wanted Sanchez to be challenged, they got their wish but it wasnt good enough.

Nothings good enough. Which is fine. But stupid.

It's not suprising that you don't udnerstand the nuance of the situation..

Thank you.

Why would we want any player that didn't aspire to start? Short of maybe Brunell last year, he was just hanging on for the money. But veterans like that aside, if an athlete doesn't believe that they can be great, they probably never will be.

But wait, wasn't it just days ago that those trying to defend this move were using the stance that Tebow wasn't brought in to be a real QB and that there would be absolutely no controversy at the position, and the concerns that there would be are baseless? So which is it, is there no concern about an impending mess at the position, or is there going to be a season of controversy, because it can't be both.

But wait, wasn't it just days ago that those trying to defend this move were using the stance that Tebow wasn't brought in to be a real QB and that there would be absolutely no controversy at the position, and the concerns that there would be are baseless? So which is it, is there no concern about an impending mess at the position, or is there going to be a season of controversy, because it can't be both.

The onyl way there isn't controversy is if Sanchez plays well... Hopefully that's what happens

No, no, no he's just a baaaaaaackup. He's going to helllllllllllp Mark. He's only gonna play two or three snaps a gaaaaaaaaaaaame. Ignore the man behind the curtain!

Tebow's not at fault here. He sees Sanchez stunk, thinks he can outplay him and is out to do that. Exactly what we needed ... The issue is the extension.. If Sanchez was not extended, and Tebow came in and exposed him, I'd be thrilled. Same thing with Favre, Favre didn't work out, but I <3 him cause he rid us of the Penningdisease... Problem now is that if Tebow exposes Sanchez, we're left with almost 10% of our cap for next 2 years being devoted to an attractive bench warmer... will make it very difficult to compete

I highly doubt you can find anyone that fits that bill, more likely, we're still whining about the extension

That's the long and short of it. Best case scenario Sanchez gets sh*t together and becomes the QB the Jets hoped, in which case the Tebow trade was a waste of a draft pick. Worse case scenario the situation you described plays out, which there is no upside to given the way this offseason has progressed.

I'm curious, are you aware of the fantastic irony of you referring to others as drama queens, while remainder of your post is the height of being a drama queen? I'm pretty sure it's possible to have the opinion that the Jets made a stupid move that will hurt the team long term without saying what you claim is being said. Maybe you should try supporting your stance with something other than statements that different opinions than yours are wrong because you say so, as opposed to fabricating a stance for others.

I think I've made it abundantly clear why I think Tim Tebow improves our offense. While you are taking this drama to heights rarely explored.

Oh, your back at it? I thought for sure your head exploded... "support your stance" blah, blah, blah

Nobody can predict the future. So your premonitions of gloom and doom is nothing but baseless conjecture. He's a ******* backup QB. Sanchez might grow a gigantic sack and come out and be the next Steve Young for all we know. Unwad your panties and take a deep breath. We are fans. We cannot control what the team does... we're just along for the ride. People like you that take on the stress of what they perceive to be stupid decisions, without really knowing if it is or isn't stupid, before letting the stupid come to pass, are doing nothing but making the rest of us laugh... while also taking years off your life.

Lighten up brochacho. Can't you find a fat chick to suck on your penis for a couple minutes or something? It works for JIF.

The fear is that Tebow's presence and everything that comes with it will rush that decision. If they want to give Sanchez every opportunity to keep the job, then they should do it (which I believe was your position). If they don't believe in Sanchez, they should draft his replacement in the second round. Myself, I would have hedged my bets by bringing in Matt Hasselbeck or Jason Campbell. Neither guy puts half as much pressure on Sanchez, or Rex, or Sparano the way Tebow does. Tebow is the really hot French au pair you hire to live in your house the second your marriage starts to get boring.

Completely agree with this. You just closed the window even more on a QB you just made a minimum of a two-year commitment to in favor of a guy we all know isn't capable of being the answer at QB.

The onyl way there isn't controversy is if Sanchez plays well... Hopefully that's what happens

It's gonna be tough to play QB when you have one eye on the defense and another eye focused on the sideline. Sanchez is gonna be feeling Tebow tapping him on the shoulder in his sleep. <insert obvious gay joke here>

Completely agree with this. You just closed the window even more on a QB you just made a minimum of a two-year commitment to in favor of a guy we all know isn't capable of being the answer at QB.

Isnt capable of being the answer? He can't even throw.

That's the long and short of it. Best case scenario Sanchez gets sh*t together and becomes the QB the Jets hoped, in which case the Tebow trade was a waste of a draft pick. Worse case scenario the situation you described plays out, which there is no upside to given the way this offseason has progressed.

Well, this is why I liked the Tebow move. He's a backup QB who can make some plays in WildCat type formations. And he only cost us a 4.. Which is exactly what BRad Smith cost us.. We're getting value out of the #2 QB besides insurance.

If Sanchez steps up and plays like a real QB, tebow gets 5-7 plays a game running wildcat.. this move willl be great...

The issue is the extension, even if Sanchez steps up, there was little reason to give it... We didn't spend the dollars in FA

If it cost the Jets a 4th round pick, to turn Sanchez into a man. Then its not a waste.

If Sanchez continues to suck, then having a backup that took that sh*tty Denver team to the playoffs is an asset. Accurate passes or not. It's not like Sanchez is Mr. Precision.

I think a Jason Campbell would've put a lot more pressure on Sanchez, and that Hasselbeck would've been little more than a younger Brunnel. And neither brings the wildcat ground & pound that Tebow brings to the table.

I don't love Tebow by any stretch. I do not see him as a complete QB, and I doubt the Jets do. But he is a viable backup who seems to be able to win games on will alone. That's a commodity. And I do think he puts pressure on Sanchez because they'll be willing to pull Mark for Timmy any time Mark stumbles - but at this stage he's really not a threat to take the starting job. Even if they pulled Mark for a half, I'd expect him to start the following week. Crusher was joking, but this applies pressure on Sanchez without really threatening him. It was a reasonable price, and he'll offer maybe five plays a game of wildcatness as a bonus.

So for a 4th round pick and a modest contract, they've improved the backup QB position, improved the wildcat they would've been running anyway, and put a little added pressure on a struggling starter. I think that's a decent move.

It's gonna be tough to play QB when you have one eye on the defense and another eye focused on the sideline. Sanchez is gonna be feeling Tebow tapping him on the shoulder in his sleep. <insert obvious gay joke here>

Hahahhaha... trolling at its finest. Well done sir.

there's not a controversy just because Gary Muscles Meyers says so...

why don't you give the chosen one a chance to speak before giving yourself heart palpatations. my guess is he'll use his Wally Clever wit and humblity (my new word) to woo you into submission.

relax frenchie.

Oh, your back at it? I thought for sure your head exploded... "support your stance" blah, blah, blah

Nobody can predict the future. So your premonitions of gloom and doom is nothing but baseless conjecture. He's a ******* backup QB. Sanchez might grow a gigantic sack and come out and be the next Steve Young for all we know. Unwad your panties and take a deep breath. We are fans. We cannot control what the team does... we're just along for the ride. People like you that take on the stress of what they perceive to be stupid decisions, without really knowing if it is or isn't stupid, before letting the stupid come to pass, are doing nothing but making the rest of us laugh... while also taking years off your life.

Lighten up brochacho. Can't you find a fat chick to suck on your penis for a couple minutes or something? It works for JIF.

I love the fact that your position has completely changed over the past two days since your original stance has already fallen apart. I'm sorry you have such a great issue with me expressing my opinion on a move with next to no upside. But hey, at least it gives you another chance to turn the topic of conversation into me personally despite me intentionally no longer even addressing any of your posts. Just go ahead and keep convincing yourself what a great stand-up guy you are though.

Well, this is why I liked the Tebow move. He's a backup QB who can make some plays in WildCat type formations. And he only cost us a 4.. Which is exactly what BRad Smith cost us.. We're getting value out of the #2 QB besides insurance.

If Sanchez steps up and plays like a real QB, tebow gets 5-7 plays a game running wildcat.. this move willl be great...

The issue is the extension, even if Sanchez steps up, there was little reason to give it... We didn't spend the dollars in FA

The success of the wildcat formation ended years ago. Letting Smith go was the smart move by the Jets, and all they did is turn around and trade for his slower replacement who doesn't even contribute as a top notch special teams player, kick returner or (admittedly mediocre) WR. I agree the extension was not a wise move, I think the trade just makes it even dumber.

Hahahahhahahahaa.... ooooga booga whats about to happen this horrible catastrophic seasons of doooooooommmmm....

Unreal.

It took u to the last game of the season last year to realize that this team wasnt a playoff team. Not surprising, its all sunshine and rainbows. Can't wait to read ur thread about how ur done with this team. I'm hope I'm wrong of course but whatever.

The beauty in all this will be that Wayne Hunter will be Tebow's blindside Tackle.

as a Giant fanatic what are your thoughts on the chances of Tebow being effective in his hybrid role? I've seen some of your normal whining and gloating but haven't seen what you actually think.

The beauty in all this will be that Wayne Hunter will be Tebow's blindside Tackle.

That might just end all the talk the first time Tebow drops back in preseason. lol

My biggest problem is that this stupid move takes snaps way from Sanchez in practice. New OC, entire new system that mark needs to learn and he will be losing lots of first team snaps in practice. Can we ever give a QB a real chance to develop? Scotty was an idiot and I don’t know if Tony S. is any better but I would like to just see if Mark improves with new system.

I also don't know if Mark sucks. If he was to fail in a second system then make plans start over at QB.

This is why the extension does not make any sense except it created cap room. Which we have not used to address any real position of need.

Bringing in Tebow does nothing but screw with everything.

When this all comes crumbling down Tanny and Rex should pay with there jobs.

Archived