If the Jets ignored a need position in the draft

derp

Position groups  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you have the most confidence in heading into the season?

• OLB's - Thomas, Maybin
    • WR's - Schilens, Turner, Kerley
    • RT's - Hunter, Ducasse, Howard
    • FS's - Smith's (Eric, DeAngelo), Wilson

At what position would you have the most confidence in the players currently on the roster? Pretty sure most would agree that the consensus top needs on the team heading into the draft are OLB, FS, RT, and WR.

Right now at one OLB slot they've got Thomas and Maybin who would presumably both get some play time across from Calvin Pace who is probably a lock to start. At WR odds are Chad Schilens and Patrick Turner would compete to start across from Holmes, I threw Kerley in there but he's going to be a slot guy who comes in for 3 WR sets I think. It'd probably going to come down to Hunter and Ducasse at RT, though I threw in Austin Howard just because. And at FS odds are Eric Smith would start, but I threw in DeAngelo Smith and Tracy Wilson.

Basically the question is, which of those 4 positions do you think the Jets would be in best shape at if they didn't draft anyone there? And to go a step further, how would you rank them in order of best shape to worst shape?

I chose the OLB...cause S is a disaster even with Landry...the RT position is a turnstil unless Sparano is gods gift to teaching OL how to block...WR because we have Holmes, Kerley and questions marks plus we have no threat out of the backfield...might as well go Total T-bone and the most unwatchable offense ever...so yeah, OLB looks like our strongest unit out of the ones listed...but hey maybe we should draft another CB like Janoris Jenkins.

I voted safeties. Not because I think Eric Smith is good, its just the opposite but its because he's been a part of the best pass defense in the league over the past 3 seasons. So I think we can get away with not adding more safeties. Plus, I think the Jets resign Leonhard and they've already added Landry.

I chose the OLB...cause S is a disaster even with Landry...the RT position is a turnstil unless Sparano is gods gift to teaching OL how to block...WR because we have Holmes, Kerley and questions marks plus we have no threat out of the backfield...might as well go Total T-bone and the most unwatchable offense ever...so yeah, OLB looks like our strongest unit out of the ones listed...but hey maybe we should draft another CB like Janoris Jenkins.

Are you really that bent out of shape over me proposing a hypothetical scenario? lol

OLB, WR, OL - would be my list. Mark's had weapons and he cant get them the ball, so whats the difference? We're going back to pound and ground, we need some road graders.

Agree with this. The truth is that, health permitting, Thomas and Maybin could hold down the OLB position for a year without any major issues. I'm not sure the same can be said for any of the players at those other positions.

Are you really that bent out of shape over me proposing a hypothetical scenario? lol

OLB, WR, OL - would be my list. Mark's had weapons and he cant get them the ball, so whats the difference? We're going back to pound and ground, we need some road graders.

My Jets aren't bent...just adding a little levity...lol...don't want a Sanchez debate...but our offense was antiquated last year and without help...its totally Tebow all the time...hard to watch man.

My Jets aren't bent...just adding a little levity...lol...don't want a Sanchez debate...but our offense was antiquated last year and without help...its totally Tebow all the time...hard to watch man.

Tebow time was the most exciting thing going in Football last season. Who are you kidding?

Agree with this. The truth is that, health permitting, Thomas and Maybin could hold down the OLB position for a year without any major issues. I'm not sure the same can be said for any of the players at those other positions.

I agree with this, which is part of why I started the poll. If they could hold down that position for the season, why are the Jets so hellbent on bringing in another OLB who might be a part-time player in the first round? I'd get it if the team overall was strong, but there are some huge weak spots.

And if they move up for an OLB that means two of those positions won't get addressed until the 5th round at the earliest, if at all. Even if they bring Leonhard back which makes the FS position look a lot better, you're looking at absolutely needing to draft a WR/RT in round 3 or 2 depending on how far they move up, and still going into the season with Chaz Schilens or Wayne Hunter starting.

I'm wondering if they're smokescreening completely about OLB's or if there's some other plan in the works (they love Tracy Wilson, moving Kyle Wilson to safety, not running any 2 WR sets...).

differentiating between FS and SS in Rex's defense is a waste of time. they are all SS.

Jets have been bringing in a few CB's who look like they might be converting to safety, Trumaine Johnson the most prominent one. What do you think the point of that would be if they only want SS types?

I agree with this, which is part of why I started the poll. If they could hold down that position for the season, why are the Jets so hellbent on bringing in another OLB who might be a part-time player in the first round? I'd get it if the team overall was strong, but there are some huge weak spots.

And if they move up for an OLB that means two of those positions won't get addressed until the 5th round at the earliest, if at all. Even if they bring Leonhard back which makes the FS position look a lot better, you're looking at absolutely needing to draft a WR/RT in round 3 or 2 depending on how far they move up, and still going into the season with Chaz Schilens or Wayne Hunter starting.

I'm wondering if they're smokescreening completely about OLB's or if there's some other plan in the works (they love Tracy Wilson, moving Kyle Wilson to safety, not running any 2 WR sets...).

Well I think the difference is that, while OLB is probably the position that would be the least problematic without being addressed in the draft, I also think it's likely the position that could have the biggest impact on the team if a serious upgrade is found. If the Jets can get themselves a real pass-rushing force, it could be the difference that allows their D to take that extra step up. Their safeties are horrendous, but they've been far from great since Rex has been here and adding one real safety isn't going to make the hugest of impacts, and on the offensive side, until Sanchez gets his crap together or the Jets find another QB worth a damn, there's only so much upside the offense has regardless of who they bring in. I think that's the real reason that OLB may be the team's top priority because while it's not the teams weakest position, it's the one they see as potentially giving the biggest boost to the team.

The strength of this draft may just be the OLB position...I wouldn't favor a move up...but if either Ingram, Upshaw or even Hightower are on the board...grab one. They can learn the system without the expectations of starting...plus Thomas, Pace and Scott are most likely moving on soon...so now is the time to get younger...

Agree with you...the WR/RT have to get filled...luckily there are strength in numbers at those positions as well this draft...main reason why I'm against moving up...we need our 2nd/3rd round picks...they most likely bring Leonhard back...but the second season ending injury spooks me...just not sure he makes it all the way back. Looks like they visited with close to a dozen DB who either play safety or could move there...Many in the later rounds...wouldn't be surprised if we took a couple flyers in the 6th and 7th with the hopes one of them sticks...

Jets have been bringing in a few CB's who look like they might be converting to safety, Trumaine Johnson the most prominent one. What do you think the point of that would be if they only want SS types?

let me know when they draft players like that. They could just be looking at Trumaine Johnson as a corner.

Not confident in the players... Well I have some confidence there....but went with the RTs because Sporano and other Italian guy are two well known and touted OL coaches.

Are Aaron Maybin and Bryan Thomas post-knee injury really winning this? No people. You bet on he young, healthy, and properly sized to start in the NFL.

Well I think the difference is that, while OLB is probably the position that would be the least problematic without being addressed in the draft, I also think it's likely the position that could have the biggest impact on the team if a serious upgrade is found. If the Jets can get themselves a real pass-rushing force, it could be the difference that allows their D to take that extra step up. Their safeties are horrendous, but they've been far from great since Rex has been here and adding one real safety isn't going to make the hugest of impacts, and on the offensive side, until Sanchez gets his crap together or the Jets find another QB worth a damn, there's only so much upside the offense has regardless of who they bring in. I think that's the real reason that OLB may be the team's top priority because while it's not the teams weakest position, it's the one they see as potentially giving the biggest boost to the team.

Could be. I guess I'm somewhat skeptical though because they've got both of the things that it seems they need in an OLB, albeit from two different players. Maybin can rush the edge, even if that's all, and Thomas can cover and set the edge in the run game. I agree that adding somebody else into the mix would help, but does a rookie at a solid position get on the field enough to make that big of a difference?

Lots of positions could be big boosts to the team, too. Right tackle is a huge need, and if you solidify that spot you're able to help open holes in the running game and give whoever's under center a little more time to drop back. Running back doesn't get talked about, but add a guy who can find holes and catch the ball out of the backfield and that helps things too. The offense looked a lot better before Jones and Tomlinson wore down in the seasons they had big years. Add in a legitimate back and that opens things up a ton IMO. I can see not thinking safety (seems like they're not high on the priority list in this defense) and WR (who gets them the ball?) make a huge difference, but there are other spots that it does make sense.

The strength of this draft may just be the OLB position...I wouldn't favor a move up...but if either Ingram, Upshaw or even Hightower are on the board...grab one. They can learn the system without the expectations of starting...plus Thomas, Pace and Scott are most likely moving on soon...so now is the time to get younger...

Agree with you...the WR/RT have to get filled...luckily there are strength in numbers at those positions as well this draft...main reason why I'm against moving up...we need our 2nd/3rd round picks...they most likely bring Leonhard back...but the second season ending injury spooks me...just not sure he makes it all the way back. Looks like they visited with close to a dozen DB who either play safety or could move there...Many in the later rounds...wouldn't be surprised if we took a couple flyers in the 6th and 7th with the hopes one of them sticks...

I agree with a lot of that. Not sure OLB is the strength of the draft though, although it's just my opinion. The consensus top two guys in the draft are both short guys with short arms, not exactly the prototype, and one of them isn't athletic enough to drop into coverage. In fact, I think if Upshaw played for a 4-3 team there would be no way anyone would even consider him as a conversion guy. Ideally high in the draft you're looking for a big, long armed, rangy guy who can move, drop into coverage, and bend the edge. The lack of those guys in the draft is pushing up more average guys. I don't think Upshaw or Ingram would have been a first rounder a few years ago before the success of guys like Woodley, Harrison, and Dumervil. And recent guys like that (Brandon Graham comes to mind although he should've been drafted into a 3-4 I think). All of the guys after that have big question marks (one year wonder, stiffness, etc) too.

let me know when they draft players like that. They could just be looking at Trumaine Johnson as a corner.

I'd be surprised, he seems like he's going to be long gone by their 5th round pick and has questionable athleticism. They may not necessarily be looking to move them to safety, but it's an interesting trend. They've got to find bigger guys who can cover to match up with tight ends, maybe they're looking to play them in some modified role just to cover tight ends, who knows. And maybe they don't draft them at all. Odds are they're looking at as many potential safeties as they can because they know it's a need, but I don't think it can just be discounted that they've looked at a few guys who are obvious CB/S tweeners.

I put down safties as well and I agree with JIF to some extent. But lets be honest all of the positions discussed have issues.

OLB Thomas is a question mark with age and coming off injury and Maybin is in NO WAY a full time LB.

WR have not been happy with this position for years I think the Jets have lacked a true number 1 WR for a long time and I think it would go a long way into opening up our offense.

RT - I thought last year when the Jets did nothing via the draft and nothing during the short FA period they would certainly grab a TC casualty when a few decent OL became available since we were so horrid during preseason but they did not. Im really hoping that changes this year because it needs to in a big way if we want to label ourselves G & P we have to have viable back ups on the OL that can step in multiple positions across the line and Im not sure anyone is happy with a Ducasee Hunter Battle if they are then I basicly laugh at B & P and protecting the QB. This is IMO the biggest need on the team.

RB - there are still a few available that can come on the cheap. Ryan Torain shold be looked at because he did show a hell of a lot the year before last with a terrible Redskin line in front of him and hes only 25 years old without a lot of Miles on him. If he comes in and cant compete what did we lose ? I say bring a few guys in here.

Why I voted Safety ? Because I think if Landry comes in healthy we can do well Rex has gotten creative in the past when it comes to covering TE's by Using corners from time to time its certainly how we beat the Pats and Colt back to back in the playoffs a few years ago. I think our defense needs to get back to the attack style I think we went away from last year and that will certainly help the safties.

after the draft, many UFA's get signed to need positions, the draft is for future talent

and then there are roster cut down pick ups

we got vinny after 2nd cuts afterall

RIghtright right riiiiiiiiight.

What is this whole Wilson at FS thing btw? It's not real people.

RIghtright right riiiiiiiiight.

What is this whole Wilson at FS thing btw? It's not real people.

Kyle Wilson comment was tongue in cheek, the next thing after that was running no 2 WR sets. Tracy Wilson is a safety currently on the roster.

Was just explaining the Wilson reference in the main post/poll. Landry's obviously starting at one safety spot, was questioning who'll be starting at the other. Same deal with the WR position, Holmes obviously starting at one spot, not sure who the other starter will be.

wait wait you guy dont get it you draft for depth and we are low at ILB MAGUA IS OUR BACKUP REALLY WE NEED TO DROP BACK GET THE EXTRA PIC OR PICS the guys that drop to 2nd round will be great players we are low on depth if one of the key players gets hurt we are f_____ and olbs are old and we have no depth we need speed and heart we dont draft well sorry we will crap the bed here also

How many starters do you expect the Jets to draft next week? They average about one. Sometimes that one is Mark Sanchez or Mike Nugent. The last non-first round pick to start as a rookie for the Jets was David Harris back in '07.

I'm expecting zero starters out of this year's draft. They could land a starter if they opted to go WR or S, but they haven't taken either position higher than the 33rd pick of the 3rd round since McGraw and Santana Moss, respectively. That seems to be against their philosophy.

Wasn't Brick, Mangold and Keller starters they're first year?

Yes.

So if the Jets have two first rounders, they're more likely to draft two starters. Unless they draft Vernon Gholston with one of them.

How many starters do you expect the Jets to draft next week? They average about one. Sometimes that one is Mark Sanchez or Mike Nugent. The last non-first round pick to start as a rookie for the Jets was David Harris back in '07.

Lowery got a few his rookie year if I remember correctly.

I'm expecting zero starters out of this year's draft. They could land a starter if they opted to go WR or S, but they haven't taken either position higher than the 33rd pick of the 3rd round since McGraw and Santana Moss, respectively. That seems to be against their philosophy.

Wilkerson played alot last year.

Wilkerson played alot last year.

Right. So that would be the one starter from last year.

Jets are returning to their Rex Ryan roots of running the football and stopping the pass. So I expect them to draft the DE/OLB in the first round, who'll be a situational player. From there, it wouldn't surprise me if they take a RB and CB in the next two rounds, who would also be rotational. So all the talk about the safety position here, I think Rex values the #4 CB higher. Jets RB's suck, Tebow or not.

Right. So that would be the one starter from last year.

Jets are returning to their Rex Ryan roots of running the football and stopping the pass. So I expect them to draft the DE/OLB in the first round, who'll be a situational player. From there, it wouldn't surprise me if they take a RB and CB in the next two rounds, who would also be rotational. So all the talk about the safety position here, I think Rex values the #4 CB higher. Jets RB's suck, Tebow or not.

Rex values corner backs like he likes feet. Safeties like he likes sit ups. Agreed.

I keep thinking is it possible for Rex and Sparano to think they can do the Ground and pound thing with the line they have now regardless of who is running the ball? I agree we need a running back but not sure it matters if we dont bolster the line( primarily RT, secondarily blocking TE) first. Not concerned about pass protection as much because nobody is dropping back to throw the ball this year. Play action and dump offs will be the flavor of this offense.

I agree we need a running back but not sure it matters if we dont bolster the line( primarily RT, secondarily blocking TE) first. Not concerned about pass protection as much because nobody is dropping back to throw the ball this year. Play action and dump offs will be the flavor of this offense.

I think the Jets could use some OL help, but I'm willing to guess that they're pretty content with what they have there.

A complete RB, a guy who can catch the football as well as having a second gear when he gets into the open field, would probably be the biggest addition the Jets could make. A guy like Lamar Miller in the second, maybe?

Drafting a RB could free up Joe McKnight to move to the defensive backfield, too.

Expect? About 1. But if they do things right they could pull in 3 starters and a significant rotational player easily. Now I don't expect that, and it's unfortunate that I assume it'll get screwed up, but it is what it is. They'd have no real problem bringing in at least legit competition for 3 starting spots if they tried to though, hell anyone they draft before round 6 at RT, S, and WR could be better than who'd be starting at those spots if the season began today

We have at least 2 players to throw at the RT position. Not great, but easily the best circumstance of those mentioned in the poll.

The other positions cannot be ignored.

Great topic. I do think every one of those positions gets addressed before the start of the season though... maybe not in the draft.

Archived