Jets and the Third pick

Jetme23

1st off the Jets trading up is highly probable. let's start from there. The last 2 years Tanny had to sit tight and wait for Kyle Wilson and Mo Wilk. It must have killed him inside. Every other year he's a trade up machine.

this year he's got 9 or 10 picks (and he can't trade the comp picks). At this point I'd be surprised if he stuck at 16.

let me be clear I am not saying _THIS_ deal is likely but i guaruntee at some point next weekend the Jets will trade up. Even if it's just back into the 4th rd on day 3.

as for trading up the Jets probably did inquire. If they are talking to Jacksonville they are talking to Minny. These teams are desperate to trade down and the difference might not be that great (especially if Minny is interested in any Jets players).

Thoughts on a potential trade up into the back end of the first round? I think 47 and 77 would get it done, kind of a flashy move that would be pretty standard for Tannenbaum. They could be alright if they stand pat at 16, and still get another legit player in the back end of the first.

If he falls to 9 or so, I'd be ok with it. Getting all the way up there for a running back that's not a guy that can score from everywhere on the field seems like desperation.

Running back is a devalued position as it is. How the heck is a running back who can't score from everywhere on the field a consensus top 10 pick? I'm not saying you're claim is wrong, I just don't see why anyone would waste a top 10 on a guy like that unless he's at least Ray Rice type quality.

Won't surprise me a bit if they move up for Richardson. And I'd be very happy with that. For a team that wants to be known as "ground and pound" they have very mediocre RBs

I agree with this statement. Not necessarly the move in itself, but to be a ground and pound team, we don't really have the walk to back up the talk. Rb's are mediocre if not unspectacular, the O line has a glaring weakness at RT (and it looks like we're keeping it that way) and our passing attack allows teams to stack the box to stop the run. I would say that we need to upgrade somewhere on the offense and a top tier RB may be just that.

Running back is a devalued position as it is. How the heck is a running back who can't score from everywhere on the field a consensus top 10 pick? I'm not saying you're claim is wrong, I just don't see why anyone would waste a top 10 on a guy like that unless he's at least Ray Rice type quality.

I dont know. The Richardson thing is puzzling to me. Everyone and their mother knows backs have become more and more obsolete over the years...but here we go again with a guy expected to go top 10. at least the money isnt as crazy as it used to be, but Richardson isnt a once in generation player. These Bama guys are all really good and well coached players, but I think we may be overrating them on an individual level just a bit. Nobody cares what conference you played in when you get to the league. I thought Jones and Dareus where both better prospects coming out last year than anyone from Bama this year.

As for Ray Rice, I wanted us to take him at 6 back in 2008. :)

In no way, shape, or form do I want the Jets trading up for Richardson, but I do value first round RB's. To me, it's a young man's position. If you can find a stud, start him for five years, and then let someone else pay his second contract - I think you've won. Especially with the new rookie cap-like thing. Maybe one of the safest positions to take high.

If they trade up to three and take anyone other than Kalil it will be a bad idea. He is the consensus best player in the draft not named Luck or RGiii. If the Jets truly want to get back to Ground and Pound, they will do it through the line, not the RB position. In 2009 and 2010 the Jets had Woody at RT, a guy Rex dubbed the best run blocking RT in the game. I realize Wayne carried the torch in the playoffs the 2nd year of that stretch, but he has been exposed.

I hope they stay at 16, or maybe move to the back half of the top ten to get a defensive stud, but if the rumors about them moving up to 3, it better be for Kalil. The Browns would ponce on him if he is there at 4, and they have Joe Thomas. It doesn't matter because Kalil would be the BPA by far, and the AFC North is a run heavy division. The Jets want to be a run heavy team, but the won't accomplish that goal without a substantial improvement at RT. The Jets ran to the right side the majority of the time with Woody as the anchor over there. Moore has a few seasons left, and he is tremendous at run blocking.

Winning football games becomes easier when you dominate the LOS.

If they trade up to three and take anyone other than Kalil it will be a bad idea. He is the consensus best player in the draft not named Luck or RGiii. If the Jets truly want to get back to Ground and Pound, they will do it through the line, not the RB position. In 2009 and 2010 the Jets had Woody at RT, a guy Rex dubbed the best run blocking RT in the game. I realize Wayne carried the torch in the playoffs the 2nd year of that stretch, but he has been exposed.

I hope they stay at 16, or maybe move to the back half of the top ten to get a defensive stud, but if the rumors about them moving up to 3, it better be for Kalil. The Browns would ponce on him if he is there at 4, and they have Joe Thomas. It doesn't matter because Kalil would be the BPA by far, and the AFC North is a run heavy division. The Jets want to be a run heavy team, but the won't accomplish that goal without a substantial improvement at RT. The Jets ran to the right side the majority of the time with Woody as the anchor over there. Moore has a few seasons left, and he is tremendous at run blocking.

Winning football games becomes easier when you dominate the LOS.

Other than Revis, Woody might have been the best player on the team.

In no way, shape, or form do I want the Jets trading up for Richardson, but I do value first round RB's. To me, it's a young man's position. If you can find a stud, start him for five years, and then let someone else pay his second contract - I think you've won. Especially with the new rookie cap-like thing. Maybe one of the safest positions to take high.

So in other words draft a Stud RB run his a$$ into the ground ala Earl Campbell and get the most you can out of him. Only the true greats get past this stage ....Walter Payton, John Riggins, Emmitt Smith, Curtis Martin, Jim Brown, Marshall Faulk were all hard runners with a alot of carries. But its rare you see guys like this contribute at a high level after 7 or 8 years so unless you think you have a HOF fame back who can contribute for another 5 years at a high level I agree you let them go.

Archived