Jeremy Kerley already sees difference between Tim Tebow and Mark Sanchez

RSJ

Jeremy Kerley already sees difference between Tim Tebow and Mark Sanchez

Published: Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 6:56 PM Updated: Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 7:04 PM

10878383-large.jpg

William Perlman/The Star-Ledger

Jeremy Kerley, seen here in a file photo, already sees difference between Tim Tebow and Mark Sanchez.

Jeremy Kerley said he's gotten a chance to catch passes from both Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow and he already notices a stark contrast.

"Different than Mark, different than Mark," Kerley said at the NFL Pop-Up store on 41st today. "(Tebow's) ball comes out a little bit stronger, but he's accurate, he's more accurate than what I thought he was going to be. But he's a good dude, he has a great personality, he'll bring a lot of personality to the team."

When asked how much more velocity on a throw than Sanchez, Kerley said: "A LOT, a lot more velocity. No dis to Mark, he brings it, man."

Kerley said he was "shocked" when the team decided to bring in Tebow but that "It was a good shocked. We got a winner on our team. Obviously, that's what he is. I was shocked but I was happy."

During a brief interview session, Kerley covered his desire for the No. 2 wide receiver spot as well as his meeting with new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano. Here are some quick hits:

On the No. 2 receiver spot:

"I feel like I'm in the running, whether I get it or not that'll be up to the coaches," he said. "I'm not too worried about it, I hope I get it, who wouldn't want to be the No. 2 receiver? But No. 3 is alright too. No. 3 catches the ball just as much.

"You could never fully make your case, a guy like me in my second year, but I mean you gotta think they're always looking for a No. 2 receiver, they're always looking for a No. 1 receiver. That's how I approach the game. If they get a No. 2 (in the draft) they get a No. 2, it is what it is."

On new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano:

"Man, he's outspoken," Kerley said. "Tony Sparano, he's a good dude though, he knows what he's doing. He brings a different approach to the game and if everybody buys into it I think we'll be alright.

"He's the man, so all I'm doing is trying to buy into it right now. Our running game is strong so that's what we need to be relying on now."

Sparano didn't mention the Wildcat to Kerley -- a formation he ran sparingly last year -- though Kerley said he'd still be interested.

• Kerley said he tweaked his back running hills in Texas during the offseason which is why he couldn't go work out with Sanchez and Santonio Holmes in Florida. He's fine now, though.

Conor Orr: corr@starledger.com; twitter.com/ConorTOrr

who cares what they sell, all sanchez has to do is consistantly play well. Not to much to ask a QB in 4th year

This.

Tired of all the boo-hoo'ing fans complaining about the media spinning this for the sake of controversy, or calling for Mike T's head for creating a controversy... If Sanchez didn't hand other teams wins on his worst days, and redefine mediocre on his best days, then Mike T wouldn't have gone out and found a guy that could replace him if needed.

Frankly, I like that we have a viable option behind Sanchez. No, he's not a probowl QB, but a #2 shouldn't be. However, he may be the most experienced backup QB in football right now. I'll take it. I also like that we have a roster spot devoted to a backup QB who can also get on the field in other capacities, it maximizes the ROI in Tebow.

Many teams will draft backup QBs this weekend in rounds 4-6 that may never take a snap for their teams. We spent a 4th on a guy that will be kneeling in the endzone for us this year, guaranteed.

This.

Tired of all the boo-hoo'ing fans complaining about the media spinning this for the sake of controversy, or calling for Mike T's head for creating a controversy... If Sanchez didn't hand other teams wins on his worst days, and redefine mediocre on his best days, then Mike T wouldn't have gone out and found a guy that could replace him if needed.

Frankly, I like that we have a viable option behind Sanchez. No, he's not a probowl QB, but a #2 shouldn't be. However, he may be the most experienced backup QB in football right now. I'll take it. I also like that we have a roster spot devoted to a backup QB who can also get on the field in other capacities, it maximizes the ROI in Tebow.

Many teams will draft backup QBs this weekend in rounds 4-6 that may never take a snap for their teams. We spent a 4th on a guy that will be kneeling in the endzone for us this year, guaranteed.

agreed. we got a back up qb that:

can come in and is a known(albeit contriversial) talent

will have utility in the game every sunday as opposed to carrying a clipboard

will benefit the "culture" of the locker room

we only paid a 4th rounder for

I don't appreciate there being any chatter about Kerley not running the wildcat. He was a beast last season. A BEAST!

Also, this article reeks of Tebow replacing Sanchez.

You're right, but my stance is still that the kittycat doesnt win you a SB. He was pretty good at it though.

Pardon me, im just a hater when it comes to the domestic cat. We need a real offense. Sparano needs to provide that.

So the difference between Sanchez and Tebow, according to Kerley... is that Tebow has more velocity. That much is clear. There's also the bit about accuracy, it almost sounds as if he wants to say that Tebow is more accurate, too..but he doesn't actually come out and say that directly. He seems to like his personality too...

So the difference between Sanchez and Tebow, according to Kerley... is that Tebow has more velocity. That much is clear. There's also the bit about accuracy, it almost sounds as if he wants to say that Tebow is more accurate, too..but he doesn't actually come out and say that directly. He seems to like his personality too...

the accuracy part to me seemed more like he expected a dumpster fire, and instead realized Tebow is an NFL QB for a reason. I beleive it has been brought up already that a pro qb better be pretty damn accurate while wearing shorts in practice, but if you go by what the media make sit sound like you would expect only 1 out of every 5 passes Tebow throws to be anywhere in the vicinity

the guy can thorw the ball, he proved it in college. The question is can he adapt to NFL defense and speed

We can have two different offenses, but we need everyone to be on the same team!

They should come up with a creative way to make this more clear... Like making them all wear the same colored shirt or something.

Archived