Are Tom Brady and Peyton Manning "done", now that they've reached 35?

BlackDynamite

Troy Aikman: Out of the league by age 35

Joe Montana: 2 mediocre seasons in KC after 35, with a steep drop in production

Drew Bledsoe: Out of the league at age 35

Donovan McNabb: Production stopped at age 35 (last season)

Dan Marino: Never threw 24 TDs or 60% completion after age 35

The track record for previous top-notch QB's after age 35 is not good.

Tom "Lady" turns 35 this summer.

Peyton Manning is already 36

"Father Time" loses to no man. Production WILL start to fade. But when?

35 has been the line in pro sports, even earlier in pro football, where playing well after age 30 is an accomplishment.

Tom will remain in his system, with his familiar suspects around him.

Peyton will be at a disadvantage, leaving the dome in indy, and starting from scratch in a new city, playing in a outdoor stadium with less than Hall of Fame-caliber receivers.

When do these two future Hall of Famers hit "The wall" EVERY pro athlete hits, and start to begin their retirement plans?

BD

Brady and Manning both have at least 2-3 more years of MVP type of football in them.. after that is when they slow down

Sounds about right---I'm thinking 2-3 more great years at least. Peyton is dicier because of the injuries. As for Brady though I'm *confident* that he'll have those 2-3 great years still.

Farve and Elway did good after turning 35 so there's no reason Brady shouldn't be able to, he hasn't been injured a lot. Manning is up in the air???

Both are dicey propositions but Brady less so due to the injuries to Manning and the benefit of staying in the same system.

However, when you consider that how awful and puss-like Brady played in both the AFC Championship and Super Bowl things don't look all that bright for him moving forward either.

Both are dicey propositions but Brady less so due to the injuries to Manning and the benefit of staying in the same system.

However, when you consider that how awful and puss-like Brady played in both the AFC Championship and Super Bowl things don't look all that bright for him moving forward either.

While there is some validity to your point, Brady played pretty well in the Superbowl.

Going forward, I do not see a decline for Brady in the next 2-3 years. For all the post 35 decline in production, Kurt Warner was still productive his final thee seasons at 36, 37 and 38.

Unfortunately Brady doesnt fall into this catagory yet. With the inability of defenses to hit QBs (especially guys like Brady) and the spread offense being so prevelant I think Brady has a good several years left. Consider the fact if the Pats defense makes one stop at the end this past Feb., Brady likely wins MVP of the SB and the media love affair would have been sickening.

While there is some validity to your point, Brady played pretty well in the Superbowl.

Going forward, I do not see a decline for Brady in the next 2-3 years. For all the post 35 decline in production, Kurt Warner was still productive his final thee seasons at 36, 37 and 38.

Fair point but Warner had played significantly less football at that age than Brady has. Warner was a 26-year-old rookie and also spent a few years in the middle of his career as a backup. That is significantly fewer hits. Warner was a young 37.

I agree with Peyton changing systems will keep him from being as comfortable as he was with the colts and will probably have an impact on his numbers but I never get the "Brady is a Pussy" quotes hes far from a pussy.

I think if Brady stays healthy he can play at a high level at 40 possibly even low 40's. He still has a strong arm hes sees the field probably better than any QB ever and the Pats run a short passing ball control offense. I think the question is not how long he can play but how long he wants to play.

Fair point but Warner had played significantly less football at that age than Brady has. Warner was a 26-year-old rookie and also spent a few years in the middle of his career as a backup. That is significantly fewer hits. Warner was a young 37.

Just looked it up, Warner was actually a 27-year-old rookie and played in a total of 138 games in his career, including postseason. Brady has played in 161 regular season games. He's got a lot more mileage on him than Warner did at the same age.

The one real valid point here are the rules changes that favor offenses. The rules favor Brady continuing to play at a high level for a couple more years because he is less likely to take some of the harder shots he took just five or six years ago. This is the reason Brady may play at this high a level for a few more years.

I think if Brady stays healthy he can play at a high level at 40 possibly even low 40's. He still has a strong arm hes sees the field probably better than any QB ever and the Pats run a short passing ball control offense. I think the question is not how long he can play but how long he wants to play.

Great points.

He says he wants to play well into his 40.

We shall see if that comes to fruition, but the question is will he finish his career a Patriot.

Just looked it up, Warner was actually a 27-year-old rookie and played in a total of 138 games in his career, including postseason. Brady has played in 161 regular season games. He's got a lot more mileage on him than Warner did at the same age.

The one real valid point here are the rules changes that favor offenses. The rules favor Brady continuing to play at a high level for a couple more years because he is less likely to take some of the harder shots he took just five or six years ago. This is the reason Brady may play at this high a level for a few more years.

I could not agree more.

As Smash pointed out, the Patriots offense short passing game favors Brady playing at his current level for awhile even if he loses a mile or two off his fastball.

Great points.

He says he wants to play well into his 40.

We shall see if that comes to fruition, but the question is will he finish his career a Patriot.

I could not agree more.

As Smash pointed out, the Patriots offense short passing game favors Brady playing at his current level for awhile even if he loses a mile or two off his fastball.

Well when it comes to being a Patriot Belichick is the type of coach who wants to get optimal value for a player like Multiple Draft Picks. If he was ever thinking of trading Brady the window will probably stay open for another year or 2

Both are dicey propositions

Elway best seasons were 93,95,96,97. He turned 35 in 95

Farve had three 25 plus TD, 64% plus and 4K yards plus seasons after turning 35

Both did well after turning 35 nothing dicey about it. Having a good running game helped them but they still put up the number so they still had the ability to do so after turning 35.

Brady should be able to do the same.

Elway best seasons were 93,95,96,97. He turned 35 in 95

Farve had three 25 plus TD, 64% plus and 4K yards plus seasons after turning 35

Both did well after turning 35 nothing dicey about it. Having a good running game helped them but they still put up the number so they still had the ability to do so after turning 35.

Brady should be able to do the same.

So because two out of how many hundreds of guys did well after age 35, these two should be fine? That's a weak argument.

The best argument in their favor is the rules favoring offenses which will make it easier for both of them to continue to be successful moving forward.

Brady recently said something to the effect that they will have to drag him off the field. Here's hoping his punk bitch a$$ gets gets scraped off the field, preferably after meeting Quentin Coples.

Well when it comes to being a Patriot Belichick is the type of coach who wants to get optimal value for a player like Multiple Draft Picks. If he was ever thinking of trading Brady the window will probably stay open for another year or 2

Funny you should say that.

If ever there was a time for the Patriots and Brady were to part ways, the year will be 2015. Brady is signed through 2014. Which, coincidentally, is the same year Alex Smith's contract expires with the 49ers.

If Alex Smith does not make it impossible for the 49ers not to extend him, I could see Brady closing his career with a few season as a 49er. His hometown team.

wrong sport

It is a metaphor....never mind you would not understand even if I explained it.

So because two out of how many hundreds of guys did well after age 35, these two should be fine? That's a weak argument.

The best argument in their favor is the rules favoring offenses which will make it easier for both of them to continue to be successful moving forward.

Brady recently said something to the effect that they will have to drag him off the field. Here's hoping his punk bitch a$$ gets gets scraped off the field, preferably after meeting Quentin Coples.

It's been done so it's not impossible and Brady has the best chance at the moment to do it as well. Manning is a question mark.

And the last time a Jet ended a Pats QBs season it didn't turn out to well for us.

It's been done so it's not impossible and Brady has the best chance at the moment to do it as well. Manning is a question mark.

And the last time a Jet ended a Pats QBs season it didn't turn out to well for us.

It's a Yin and Yang thing. We need it to happen to restore balance.

Super Bowl winning QBs and age at time of win:

Bart Star 33

Bart Star 34

Joe Willie 25 :cool:

Len Dawson 34

Johnny U 37

Staubach 29

Griese 27

Griese 28

Bradshaw 26

Bradshaw 27

Stabler 31

Staubach 35

Bradshaw 30

Bradshaw 31

Plunkett 33

Montana 25

Theismann 33

Plunkett 36

Montana 28

McMahon 26

Simms 32

Williams 32

Montana 32

Montana 33

Hostetler 29 (Sims 36)

Rypien 30

Aikman 26

Aikman 27

Young 33

Aikman 29

Favre 27

Elway 37

Elway 38

Warner 28

Dilfer 28

Brady 24

Johnson 34

Brady 26

Brady 27

Ben 23

Peyton 30

Eli 27

Ben 26

Brees 31

Rodgers 31

Eli 31

Notable losers

Tarkenton 36

Staubach 36

Gannon 37

Warner 37

Magic 8 Ball says outlook not so good. Pretty short list. Staubach, Johnny U, Plunkett, and Elway (twice).

That said, Brady seems to be capable of playing at a high level and all his teamattes, current and former, would tell you that he will play until he is 50. Peyton had the NFL's active consecutive starts streak until the neck thing. The year off actually could end up prolonging his career if his neck is 99%.

Dumbest thread of the month.

Do not worry. There is still time in the month. ;)

Watching Brady in the playoffs and the SB sure didn't remind me of someone who has 2-3 years of MVP like football in him.

Really?

You missed the 6 TD performance?

As bad as he played against the ravens, he did consistently drive the team down the field and put points on the board. He also threw some dumbass passes. Similar in the Superbowl, he was the MVP going into the 4th. Then a bad pass and receivers started dropping the ball.

Again, I am not saying he is blame free, but he clearly has MVP seasons in him.

Archived