Great Job Referees

drago

Honestly, this is a big stage. If you heard the bio of the head ref from Collinsworth, it's pretty cool that he (and his crew) were able to take the step from low level college to the NFL.

This is a huge stage to jump into. Hats off to the referee crew.

Tonight was a disaster for the NFLRA. In primetime on national TV, they needed an embarrassing performance out of the replacements for people to be talking about the rest of the week leading up to the Sunday games. The opposite was the case. Good luck winning the PR battle now.

It only looked like they did well because they were barred from making judgment calls like pass interference and holding. The line of scrimmage was a judo tournament for both teams. That will fly for a game you're not really invested in, but if we're watching Coples and Wilkerson getting wrestled to the ground with no flags being thrown, we'll all be howling for Jeff Triplette's return.

Tonight was a disaster for the NFLRA. In primetime on national TV, they needed an embarrassing performance out of the replacements for people to be talking about the rest of the week leading up to the Sunday games. The opposite was the case. Good luck winning the PR battle now.

The PR battle can swing on one blown call, and it seems unlikely that the scabs are going to perform impeccably (or at least fail imperceptibly) in every single game, but it doesn't matter anyway. If Ginger & Co. are willing to sacrifice the integrity of the game to save a few bucks, they're not going to be swayed by Mark Schlereth getting butthurt. The boss never loses a lockout.

It only looked like they did well because they were barred from making judgment calls like pass interference and holding. The line of scrimmage was a judo tournament for both teams. That will fly for a game you're not really invested in, but if we're watching Coples and Wilkerson getting wrestled to the ground with no flags being thrown, we'll all be howling for Jeff Triplette's return.

So making it 1st and 30 didn't count as holding calls? Consecutive no less...

Why do you insist on spewing bs?

The refs called holding and pi...

Ok, so that explains the six or so plays in a row where there was a flag in the 4th quarter. There are calls missed in every game and the officiating in the NFL last year was brutal. I didn't notice any difference with last nights crew and the regular officials.

So making it 1st and 30 didn't count as holding calls? Consecutive no less...

Why do you insist on spewing bs?

The refs called holding and pi...

That last Cowboys' scoring drive had about 40 yards of penalties. The Austin TD was on 1st and 30.

Best you can say is they did a reasonable job. Some Jints fans are bitching about a noncall agaisnt Cruz in the 2nd quarter. But bigger problem for Jints is outside of JPP their defense looks very JAGgy. DIDN't hear Tuck nor Umeniyora's names all last night. If their only rush is JPP, they are on their way back to the bottom of the NFCE. Their secondary totally sucks.

Wait till Sunday's games-I think opinions might change on htis

I'm not so sure about that. The old officiating was ****ing awful and ridiculously biased to boot. At least the new officiating is equally ****ing awful across the board for everyone. Here's hoping they're still running the show once the Jets have to play the Pats. Granted, the Jets would still probably lose, but at least not nearly every positive defense play would be wiped off the board by phantom calls.

Ok, so that explains the six or so plays in a row where there was a flag in the 4th quarter. There are calls missed in every game and the officiating in the NFL last year was brutal. I didn't notice any difference with last nights crew and the regular officials.

This is it right here. The whole situation is more a matter of perception than reality. People are watching the officiating closer than ever and judging it even more because of the ref situation, but the fact remains that last year, while being officiated by the group of clowns who are currently demanding more money, we watched the single worst officiated season of professional sports that I can ever remember seeing, including two championship games that were decided by horrible calls.

I'm not so sure about that. The old officially was ****ing awful and ridiculously biased to boot. At least the new officiating is equally ****ing awful across the board for everyone. Here's hoping they're still running the show once the Jets have to play the Pats. Granted, the Jets would still probably lose, but at least not nearly every positive defense play would be wiped off the board by phantom calls.

Walt Coleman will cross the pickett line to ref that game.

You and Evan Cohen sitting in a tree....the less calls the better. I liked it.

idk about you guys but that should have been defensive holding in the endzone blown call was huge.

Close call, but the regular refs allow a little grabbing along the goal line as long as you don't redirect the guy. I thought it was a good no call and I have Cruz on my fantasy team.

Close call, but the regular refs allow a little grabbing along the goal line as long as you don't redirect the guy. I thought it was a good no call and I have Cruz on my fantasy team.

idk man he had him hook with both hands. I saw the replay and thought it was blatant (as did the announcers) but maybe i have to see it again

The PR battle can swing on one blown call, and it seems unlikely that the scabs are going to perform impeccably (or at least fail imperceptibly) in every single game, but it doesn't matter anyway. If Ginger & Co. are willing to sacrifice the integrity of the game to save a few bucks, they're not going to be swayed by Mark Schlereth getting butthurt. The boss never loses a lockout.

Do you even have a clue what the issues are or do you just like commissiner bashing? The NFL would like to move the refs to a 401 k plan instead of a pension like everone else in the country except govt employees. THey would also like to make the officials full instead of part time. Who the hell gets a pension for thier 2nd job working 24 days a year (and over 100k). By the way how many of you get a 20K a year contribution from your employeer for thier 401k? Why not take a look at the facts instead of just bashing away.

From a published letter to the NFL teams last week.

The NFLRA seeks both to retain the current defined benefit pension plan for the current staff for at least another 5-6 years, and to increase the amount of the defined benefit. We have proposed to freeze the defined benefit plan (preserving all vested benefits for all officials) and replace it with a defined contribution/401(k) arrangement - the same arrangement that is in place for all other league employees and which 13 clubs have adopted. We have offered a defined contribution that would average $20,000 per year, while the officials' union has proposed a substantially higher amount.

Do you even have a clue what the issues are or do you just like commissiner bashing? The NFL would like to move the refs to a 401 k plan instead of a pension like everone else in the country except govt employees. THey would also like to make the officials full instead of part time. Who the hell gets a pension for thier 2nd job working 24 days a year (and over 100k). By the way how many of you get a 20K a year contribution from your employeer for thier 401k? Why not take a look at the facts instead of just bashing away.

The NFLRA seeks both to retain the current defined benefit pension plan for the current staff for at least another 5-6 years, and to increase the amount of the defined benefit. We have proposed to freeze the defined benefit plan (preserving all vested benefits for all officials) and replace it with a defined contribution/401(k) arrangement - the same arrangement that is in place for all other league employees and which 13 clubs have adopted. We have offered a defined contribution that would average $20,000 per year, while the officials' union has proposed a substantially higher amount.

Oh good, we have an expert in our midst.

what you guys dont have pensions? With the amount of posts everyone has here I figured everyone worked for the gvt

Im all for the refs getting as much as they can from the NFL... just like the players and owners. Everyone is greedy. Everyone wants more.

I don't think they did a particularly bad job last night, but I don't think it's really fair to blame them for being inexperienced and underexposed. I was following a bunch of pro-writers on Twitter, and they had a lot of complaints about the referees. I mean, what do you really expect from them anyway?

I don't think they did a particularly bad job last night, but I don't think it's really fair to blame them for being inexperienced and underexposed. I was following a bunch of pro-writers on Twitter, and they had a lot of complaints about the referees. I mean, what do you really expect from them anyway?

writers job is to stir up controversy so they have something to write about. take it with a grain of salt.

idk man he had him hook with both hands. I saw the replay and thought it was blatant (as did the announcers) but maybe i have to see it again

I was on Twitter just after that no call and a lot of comments said, "announcers blew it, good no call" and the sentiment all night was that it was a well officiated game.

I was on Twitter just after that no call and a lot of comments said, "announcers blew it, good no call" and the sentiment all night was that it was a well officiated game.

I think the most important factor of all when it comes to officiating is consistency. You can disagree with a call all you like, but as long as it's getting called the same both ways, it all kind of nets out. When it comes to that, the new officials look to have a strong lead on the old ones, considering that was far and away that group's biggest problem.

Cutting a defined benefit plan for those employees reaching retirement age is just wrong. These are people who've planned their lives around that pension.

Screw the new guys, that's the union way.

It should be noted that there was 1 extra scab ref on the field and 1 extra scab ref watching from upstairs. Not sure how the logistics worked but having an extra 2 sets of eyes seemed to help protect the integrity of the game which is what the @NFLCOMMISH was/is trying to do while the get the pro refs back out there.

As for what they make, they are professionals that are required to travel. Some of these guys have legal degree's and aren't just JAGs that can correctly answer the "you make the call" segments during NFL games of the 80s(I miss those btw). So to have a professional commit to travelling weekends for 1/3 of the year, yeah, you are going to have to shell out a couple of bucks.

Archived