Stat pirates- was Sunday Sanchez's best game of his career?

Matt39

Yes , no?

Join this thread and pass the rep around like I know you will.

As of now, based on DYAR, yes. However, that number is based on some assumptions regarding the strength of the Bill's defense being that it was Week 1. If Buffalo continues to get shredded on a weekly basis, then Sanchez's performance in this game will be viewed less favorably and his DYAR will be adjusted accordingly.

I am led to believe that this game counted toward 1 win in the win/loss column. Based on that, it equates equally with the other wins that Sanchez had in games he quarterbacked.

Even if one were to actually subscribe to the notion that win-loss record is the best way to measure relative success (highly fallible in baseball and downright asinine in football), a Week 1 win at home against Buffalo can't be considered equal to Mark's fabled road playoff victories.

It's up there, but the problem is that efficiency measures simply can't answer the question right now because it's Week 1. Absolutely nothing gets answered in the paradigm you've been trying to create this week. Not any one thing about a player or team.

As of now, I'd probably rank it 2nd or 3rd personally. The New England game in week 2 of 2010 being #1 and his game against KC last year duking it out for #2.

It's up there, but the problem is that efficiency measures simply can't answer the question right now because it's Week 1. Absolutely nothing gets answered in the paradigm you've been trying to create this week. Not any one thing about a player or team.

As of now, I'd probably rank it 2nd or 3rd personally. The New England game in week 2 of 2010 being #1 and his game against KC last year duking it out for #2.

Have to see how the season unfolds, but if Sanchez has a good season (tangibly good where everyone will agree it was good rather than debatable), then that would fit into the "QBs improve once they leave Schitty" meme which will make Gato's head explode.

Even if one were to actually subscribe to the notion that win-loss record is the best way to measure relative success (highly fallible in baseball and downright asinine in football), a Week 1 win at home against Buffalo can't be considered equal to Mark's fabled road playoff victories.

Considering that qb stat are often the most eye-popping in losses, I consider the win to be 85% of performance evaluation for a QB.

Coaches would agree.

Have to see how the season unfolds, but if Sanchez has a good season (tangibly good where everyone will agree it was good rather than debatable), then that would fit into the "QBs improve once they leave Schitty" meme which will make Gato's head explode.

Which is the one thing I don't get. If the dunsky club had to set up fallacies, couldn't it at least have been done in the interest of that? It'd be like the armchair quarterback version of A Beautiful Mind. Everybody wins.

Stats aside, he looked more like a confident and competent NFL QB than ever before. We've seen it in spurts, but he played as well as I think he is capable of playing for the entire game. Hopefully, this is not a one-game wonder.

This, however, I do agree with. Always seemed that plays like that moronic flip spiraled into more of the horrific, but he rebounded pretty well. Gotta hand it to Sparano for not yanking the leash after that one either. Thought we were looking at something like 45-50 rushing attempts after that play.

This, however, I do agree with. Always seemed that plays like that moronic flip spiraled into more of the horrific, but he rebounded pretty well. Gotta hand it to Sparano for not yanking the leash after that one either. Thought we were looking at something like 45-50 rushing attempts after that play.

Same here, although I think Revis coming up with a quick pick of his own shortly after probably helped make it a little easier to just forget that play even happened. While I'm obviously glad we didn't end up having to find out, part of me wonders if it would have been handled the same way had that Sanchez pick led to a Bills' TD drive, giving them the early lead.

what i liked is that he started strong. sanchez used to look like crap for an entire first half when he first came in to the league. he needed to get warmed up and get rid of the butterflies. first game oif the season and he looks ready to go right off the bat. it's his 4th season. he starrted only 1 in college. if he had started 3 in college this year woudl be like his 2nd starting in the league. he wa sinexperienced when we got him, now he is at the point where he should look like he belongs or not. this is the year he needs to take a nice big step, imo. around 30 td's, reduction in int%, increase his completion % to around 60% and we will be happy to have him on the team.

Which is the one thing I don't get. If the dunsky club had to set up fallacies, couldn't it at least have been done in the interest of that? It'd be like the armchair quarterback version of A Beautiful Mind. Everybody wins.

LOL. Exactly.

Yep, and we have seen Schitty go into the shell even with Chad. Sparano kept with his chunks gameplan.

Also, that bonehead play reminded me of Eli's left-handed passes. Maybe Sanchez was trying to take these Eli comparisons to the extreme.

Same here, although I think Revis coming up with a quick pick of his own shortly after probably helped make it a little easier to just forget that play even happened. While I'm obviously glad we didn't end up having to find out, part of me wonders if it would have been handled the same way had that Sanchez pick led to a Bills' TD drive, giving them the early lead.

Cameraman conspiracy theory.

After that play we saw Sanchez huddled with Sparano, Tebow & Mac looking at field photos. Can anyone remember Sanchez doing that before? Did the cameraman always miss that?

From what I gathered, as an uninformed onlooker, Sanchez looked confident. I hope it continues. If this is Sparano's influence, then that guy deserves a lot of credit. We'll see. Big test for Sanchez on Sunday. Regardless of stats, if he maintains that swagger, then I think we might be on to something... This is the first game that I thought Sanchez played a complete game, in his career.... Just my 2 cents

As RJF said you need to wait to see how the season unfolds. If Buffalo gets lit up the next 3 weeks for 900 passing yards it makes Sanchez' game look less impressive.

From a pure numbers standpoint his best games have probably been his first game against Houston, Miami in Sept, 2010, the KC game last year and the Detroit game in 2010. The problem is its hard to find games where he was good throughout. Miami he put up good numbers because of a few big passes. same goes for Detroit. Sanchez only has 11 games in his career where his completion percentage is higher than the average for that opponent and in 4 of them his YPC is pretty far below the norm so it was more a safe plan that good play, I think that is what made this game seem so much better since it was an all around performance but I guess well wait and see.

Personally I was more impressed with the receivers. They got so wide open that either the Bills secondary is that bad or we really underestimated our guys. Im not sure if there were many difficult throws there. Sanchez had to feel like he was back at USC the team was so open.

Archived