Holmes out weeks...Jets not sure what the problem is

shawn306

I coined the term "Holmesian" after that play. Absolutely no regard or concern for winning.

Definitely Holmesian, but a more accurate assessment than the bolded would be: "Absolutely no regard or concern for his teammates."

That was a declaration of: "I don't give a damn about my teammates, I'm hurt."

Contrast that with Cotchery diving for first down with a groin injury. Cotch is gone because he hated Santonio's guts. That's the Rex Ryan Jets for ya.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lisfranc takes a while to diagnose anyways, doesn't it?

Not sure really. It's my understanding that it's a difficult injury to diagnose and is constantly misdiagnosed. It's often referred to as a lisfranc sprain, but from everything that I've read, the classifications that are more severe and that you hear about in athletes are technically a fracture or dislocation of one of the metatarsals. A single foot has 26 bones and something like 100+ ligaments, so whenever we get a case about foot problems, they're usually pretty complicated and not at all straight forward. Fun fact, between both of your feet, that's a quarter of the bones in your body. So yea, if you ever have a bad foot injury and the doc doesn't have a clear diagnosis for ya, I would just go ahead and get a second or third opinion before operating. I know school hasn't been in session long, but going to all the grand ortho rounds, it's the foot surgeries that seem to have the lowest success rate.

Either way, guess we should just call the american cancer society and tell them to quit dicking around with chemo and just focus on spraining cancer's foot. Seems much less invasive and more effective.

Not sure really. It's my understanding that it's a difficult injury to diagnose and is constantly misdiagnosed. It's often referred to as a lisfranc sprain, but from everything that I've read, the classifications that are more severe and that you hear about in athletes are technically a fracture or dislocation of one of the metatarsals. A single foot has 26 bones and something like 100+ ligaments, so whenever we get a case about foot problems, they're usually pretty complicated and not at all straight forward. Fun fact, between both of your feet, that's a quarter of the bones in your body. So yea, if you ever have a bad foot injury and the doc doesn't have a clear diagnosis for ya, I would just go ahead and get a second or third opinion before operating. I know school hasn't been in session long, but going to all the grand ortho rounds, it's the foot surgeries that seem to have the lowest success rate.

Either way, guess we should just call the american cancer society and tell them to quit dicking around with chemo and just focus on spraining cancer's foot. Seems much less invasive and more effective.

Is there any medical reasoning behind a foot injury where someone's knee would be in immediate pain? Not trolling either...

Right, my point was that it seems like it's one of those things that's probably silly to rip the Jets for not solving in 24 hours.

I was going to start my usual nickname for Holmes, you know the one. But a few people and 1 mod got a little mad at me for doing that even though "they" throw nicknames around other players.

I guess "they" like Holmes and everything he brings to our team. Like leadership, teamwork and all those other nice qualities.

But I won't use that nickname because Holmes is afflicted with a mistery injury.

I hope he feels better though.

Right, my point was that it seems like it's one of those things that's probably silly to rip the Jets for not solving in 24 hours.

Definitely agree. Say what you will about Woody and Dolan, but they have always been good about finding the best training staff and medical team for their players. Better than the blazers lol

when Holmes so readily flung the ball into air I couldn't help but think of Wayne Chrebet who somehow managed to maintain control of the ball while suffering his 20th (or however many) concussion.

Chrebet and Cotch hang onto that ball.

Just sayin'.

Up here in NE, I listed to Zolack and whatever other co-host talk about Holmes hurting his foot and flinging the ball in the air for about an hour yesterday. Zolakc literally said on air, "That was about as big a vag move as I've ever seen."

Zolack is retarded... BUT I agree with him 100%. They went on to talk about how the Jets exhibit zero toughness, how they are a soft team. Man, that Ape doesn't know wtf he's talking about eh?

Up here in NE, I listed to Zolack and whatever other co-host talk about Holmes hurting his foot and flinging the ball in the air for about an hour yesterday. Zolakc literally said on air, "That was about as big a vag move as I've ever seen."

Zolack is retarded... BUT I agree with him 100%. They went on to talk about how the Jets exhibit zero toughness, how they are a soft team. Man, that Ape doesn't know wtf he's talking about eh?

They are soft. Mentally and physically. It is obvious that this coaching staff coddles them and makes excuses for them.

In the pendulum that swings from player coach to hard-ass, the Jets are about to have to go hard-ass again. Does Mangini have a brother?

Your pecs are soft.

Collectively, the Jets are not a soft team which was the rubbish you were trying to sell in your look at me thread. I'm not sure what Holmes being a punk has to do with the rest of the guys.

I mean if Holmes would have just kind of dropped it while rolling over that's one thing.. the guy played fuc king hot potato with it.

Sure, has Rex's "players coach" type of tactics worn off? Probably...and players know they can take advantage if him....but it mostly just comes down to talent. This is a 4 win roster.

An argument can be made for what matters more, talent or will.

I don't know the right answer, but I do know I've seen far more teams succeed in this league with a unified team of over-achievers that "do their job" than I've seen teams that just have a good collection of talent succeed.

There is something to be said for most, but winning in football is usually about what beats in your chest and what you've got between your ears. Talent is nice, but these guys are all athletes in the NFL ... I'll take a roster full of determination any day over a roster full of blue chip talent.

sh*t, this Jets team might have more 1st round picks on it than any team in the league... but they are mostly all gutless. So I guess that's what talent gets you.

Your pecs are soft.

Collectively, the Jets are not a soft team which was the rubbish you were trying to sell in your look at me thread. I'm not sure what Holmes being a punk has to do with the rest of the guys.

I mean if Holmes would have just kind of dropped it while rolling over that's one thing.. the guy played fuc king hot potato with it.

I think Rex, Holmes and Sanchez set the tone for this team. I think they are an insecure windbag, a pussy and a gutless punk respectively. Not every guy on this team is soft, but the team's character/stature is as a result of it's leadership.

I think Rex, Holmes and Sanchez set the tone for this team. I think they are an insecure windbag, a pussy and a gutless punk respectively. Not every guy on this team is soft, but the team's character/stature is as a result of it's leadership.

WOW and EXACTLY.............

by the way, if the game was 14 - 31 and the Jets were down 17 but had shown at least some positive offense, I'd agree it wasn't quite over.

but being down 17 AND Not scoring a point all game, against that SF defense, It was over. Holmes fumble had essentially zero effect on the outcome of that game. Even the spread was not a factor. It was done by the time Holmes had his fumble. DONE.

This thread is at 5 pages (and counting) about a play that had nothing to do with them winning or losing.

and ya know what else you might never see Holmes in this uniform again. If it's a lis franc, he's out for the year and maybe his career. At the very least you won't see him for a month or more. So let's see how the Jets do, with this terrible cancer removed from the equation.

He's such a wuss, let's see if the offense is better without Holmes.

Their stature was that of a team appearing in back to back AFC Championship games a couple years ago. Were they hard then?

You think you don't act irrationally when it comes to the team but you most certainly do. They are still tied for first in the division and have 12 games left. If they curl up in the fetal position and finish 6-10 you might have a point. Until then I'll side with history which clearly shows Rex's teams compete and are in it till the end. Even during last years "disaster" they weren't out of the playoff race until the last game.

Sit back, drink a Caramel Machiatto, and watch Rex and Co. turn this thing around.

I think the way Rex placates Sanchez and Holmes sets the tone for the team.

by the way, if the game was 14 - 31 and the Jets were down 17 but had shown at least some positive offense, I'd agree it wasn't quite over.

but being down 17 AND Not scoring a point all game, against that SF defense, It was over. Holmes fumble had essentially zero effect on the outcome of that game. Even the spread was not a factor. It was done by the time Holmes had his fumble. DONE.

This thread is at 5 pages (and counting) about a play that had nothing to do with them winning or losing.

and ya know what else you might never see Holmes in this uniform again. If it's a lis franc, he's out for the year and maybe his career. At the very least you won't see him for a month or more. So let's see how the Jets do, with this terrible cancer removed from the equation.

He's such a wuss, let's see if the offense is better without Holmes.

he is talented, and the Jets will be worse off without him, no doubt.

But, if I were looking to build a championship team, he would not be on my team. End of debate.

But, if I were looking to build a championship team, he would not be on my team. End of debate.

Doesn't the fact that he has a ring and was SB MVP kinda re-open the debate? he can be a winning player and he can win a championship. in fact I think he's the only player on the offense that has hardware.

Doesn't the fact that he has a ring and was SB MVP kinda re-open the debate? he can be a winning player and he can win a championship. in fact I think he's the only player on the offense that has hardware.

Hardware he picked up in Pittsburgh with a hall of fame QB. If he was such an asset wouldn't they have held on to him? What's the lowest common denominator in the sucess of the Pittsburgh WR situation? I would venture to guess Big Ben.

And that winning team got rid of him. That winning team actually has an idea HOW to win. And they got rid of Holmes for a bag of balls in return.

Tells you what you need to know on Holmes.

When the going gets tough, he quits on the team, he quits on himself.

YOU can have him.

Yes - it opens it and quickly closes it for good when the guy who coached the team that won that hardware and positioned him to win the MVP couldn't wait to get rid of his mope ass and made sure that happened.

Their stature was that of a team appearing in back to back AFC Championship games a couple years ago. Were they hard then?

You think you don't act irrationally when it comes to the team but you most certainly do. They are still tied for first in the division and have 12 games left. If they curl up in the fetal position and finish 6-10 you might have a point. Until then I'll side with history which clearly shows Rex's teams compete and are in it till the end. Even during last years "disaster" they weren't out of the playoff race until the last game.

Sit back, drink a Caramel Machiatto, and watch Rex and Co. turn this thing around.

History is indeed on your side. Though, I would argue Rex's teams aren't in it until the end... like the year of the press conference where he announced they were out of it, or every time this team is trying to close out a win and the defense allows a 10 minute, 80 yards TD drive to give up the lead... regardless, it's an argument I don't want to have.

I know my doubt can be considered by some to be "over-reactive", but you can't deny much of what I voice concern about is relevant, but perhaps exaggerated because that is just my nature in how I talk about things here.

Whoa, Zolack backed you up? Boy, are our faces red.

In think Holmes is probably the best player the Jets have on offense and that that fumble/pitch to the defender is completely inexcusable. I don't care what the score is there, short of stepping on a landmine, a professional falls to the ground with the ball there.

Delayed Santonio diagnosis likely isn’t good news

Posted by Mike Florio on October 2, 2012, 11:46 AM EDT

On Monday, Jets receiver Santonio Holmes underwent an MRI exam on his injured foot. The team said only that he’ll miss “weeks.”

It’s now nearly Tuesday afternoon, and there has been no definitive word regarding the specific injury.

In this regard, no news is likely bad news.

We’ll still wait for the official diagnosis, but if there were good news it would be news by now. Chances are that it’s bad news (as in possibly season-ending news), and that the Jets want to line up a replacement via trade or free agency before it’s known to the world that they have no leverage.

The free-agent cupboard is limited to guys like Terrell Owens, Chad Johnson, and Plaxico Burress. The other possibility would be to look at every team’s depth chart at receiver, and to see if anyone has someone who isn’t being used like he could be.

Archived