Gutty Ryan would welcome firing if "Woody" doesn't fix offense. (From the YeahOKGuy Dept.)

T0mShane

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rex is refusing to take responsibility for the offense. Thats his original sin and it's the reason he doesn't belong as a HC.

No. It means a rookie qb was handed to him in year one and tebow was handed to him this year. He doesn't buy the groceries.

41 year old jet fan here,.Richard Todd finding Bill Simpson of the bills wide open in the end zone to end our wild card game when I was 10 should've clued me in on what was to come. Been reading jet nation for about 5 years now but never posted, had to sign up for this one it's too infuriating too pass up. What Rex has done by leaking this is cowardly and disgraceful, wow,.he's coming out and throwing tannenbaum under the bus in an effort to save his own sorry hide before black Monday. Meanwhile he has bragged in the past about having picked all of these players...didn't this clown say he was against drafting a wide receiver in the 2 nd round? Don't get me wrong tannenbaum needs to go Monday also but I stress ALSO,.Rex trying to distance himself from tanny now is a typical coward move from this bully clown.Rex your the HEAD coach you clown, so it's not your reposnsibilty at all to develop an offense? Not at all? So if the owner and the GM magically get you a big time offense then you'll win games? Oh ok thanks..one last thing,..it's apparent now that our HEAD COACH is manish's anonymous source,.that alone should get him fired Monday. Great site max..thanks.

Thanks for finally posting.

Yes. Granted, we probably wouldn't be smart enough to run a college-style read option like Washington does, but he's a tremendous talent and that would be pretty hard to f*** up.

What does Washington have surrounding RG3 that we wouldn't? Alfred Morris. End of list. We have a vastly superior defense and better weapons (yes, I said it) with a healthy Holmes.

He has an organization, it's a big difference. With the Jets he would stand alone at least iniially then he would crumble or leave. Lets be honest here, three players had had their reps tarnished in two years, Santonio, Tebow, and MCElroy. And now Rex comes out firing this stuff.

Dude, RG would give you one or two years of hope but he isn't superman, it is goin to take a wholesale remake, a new GM, new coaches, and changes in personsel by the new staff.

Teams that found a QB:

Colts: 1-15 to 10-5 Headed to the playoffs.

Redskins: 5-11 to 9-6. Headed to the playoffs.

Seahawks: 7-9 to 10-5. Headed to the playoffs.

There a trends here.

Colts and Redskins had no brainers. Seahawks are the only ones that actually "found" a QB, in the third round. The aren't any real no brainers this season and the Jets don't have a great history of "finding" a franchise QB or developing one that could be that.

I agree. I think Rex saw what happened to Mangini when you go from having alot of power (and its a joke to think that Rex has limited personnel power. Tanny puts his coaches more or less in charge of it) to no power and how it destroys you and your future as a coach. This is being done to distance himself from the decision making and give him a nice out to leave the organization. He'll pick back up as a DC and get a shot with another team in a year or two. If a new GM comes in, the team goes 4-12 because they need to not spend but instead rebuild, and then he fires Rex, Rexs head coaching resume takes a major hit.

Agree totally. In fact, if the next GM is savvy, he can keep Rex next year, tear the team down, then hang the whole disaster on Rex when he fires him and start with a clean slate in 2014.

No. It means a rookie qb was handed to him in year one and tebow was handed to him this year. He doesn't buy the groceries.

Rex doesn't buy the groceries? Well why was he in Bart Scott's supermarket first thing of free agency a few years back. Rex has some major influence on who they obtain.

Colts and Redskins had no brainers. Seahawks are the only ones that actually "found" a QB, in the third round. The aren't any real no brainers this season and the Jets don't have a great history of "finding" a franchise QB or developing one that could be that.

Yes.

Sanchez fell apart year 3. The team, Rex, company ****ed up. Sanchez wasnt the answer long term. Big changes should have came last year after it was obvious things had to change and the Steelers game was this cores peak.

Now we start again.

It wasn't a "no brainer" for the Redskins to mortgage everything to get RG3. Many people ripped them for how much they gave up. Yet now they look smart. Funny how that works.

Yes, we suck at finding QB's. But this doesn't mean that 1) the new regime won't be able to or 2) that you give up trying. All that matters right now is who Woody hires as his new GM and if he's willing to hand over the keys on all football-related decisions to him. Everything else will flow from that.

Rex doesn't buy the groceries? Well why was he in Bart Scott's supermarket first thing of free agency a few years back. Rex has some major influence on who they obtain.

I think the amount of say he's had on personnel decisions has waned as his tenure here has gone on. He had success initially so you can't say that all the decisions he DID make on personnel were poor ones, at least not at first.

Agree totally. In fact, if the next GM is savvy, he can keep Rex next year, tear the team down, then hang the whole disaster on Rex when he fires him and start with a clean slate in 2014.

Oh god, that's really what's gonna happen, isn't it.

Good chance. I don't think it's so bad. By having a new GM you avoid Tannenbaum pushing salaries to the future to gain modest success and keep his job. If Rex gets the D back to the top he has a decent chance to stick around, if not - easy scapegoat.

That's not the way it works, with him winning in those first two seasons he more than likely put in the orders even if it was contractually Tannenbaum's job. In every organization I've been the winner calls the shots regardless of title. It happens behind the scenes.

Probably the best case scenario, really.

Best case scenario? The best case scenario here is that Captain America shows up to Florham Park and beats Woody to death with his shield, then gorilla presses Staplez while he cries some more about believing, and then he takes all of us out for ice cream. That's the best case scenario. Ok? And that sounds like nothing that you said.

Rex is probably coming back. Next year is gonna be pretty ugly regardless of who's sitting in the big chair. Hopefully they put a couple building blocks in place for the future, but I don't see the QB issue being anywhere close to fixed next season.

They should put the games on closed circuit TV then.

Oh god, that's really what's gonna happen, isn't it.

Probably. There is going to be alot of money flying out the door this offseason as they eat costs to fix the team. I would think last on his list is a big check to Rex Ryan for being one of the guys to mess this up. Essentially the Jets GM will end up being someone Parcells knows, Joey Clinkscales (though I do think Rex was a big reason why he left), or someone like Charley Casserly who has the old track record and knows time is running out for one last shot so he would be willing to take anyone on for a chance.

Best case scenario? The best case scenario here is that Captain America shows up to Florham Park and beats Woody to death with his shield, then gorilla presses Staplez while he cries some more about believing, and then he takes all of us out for ice cream. That's the best case scenario. Ok? And that sounds like nothing that you said.

MOAR VIBRANIUM

Probably the best case scenario, really.

Rex only stays if Jets cant get or are too cheap to get a high profile MVP-type GM. If we get a up and comer candidate (aka will accept job with caveat Rex stays) Rex stays so Woody can save cash.

If high profile GM hired, he will bring in his guy Day One as Year One in new regime is a free pass for GM/HC alike.

Rex only stays if Jets cant get or are too cheap to get a high profile MVP-type GM. If we get a up and comer candidate (aka will accept job with caveat Rex stays) Rex stays so Woody can save cash.

If high profile GM hired, he will bring in his guy Day One as Year One in new regime is a free pass for GM/HC alike.

Most coaches get canned with ayear left on their contract, so that is a sunk cost anyway. If Woody loses anything he loses next year's three mil. If he cannot swallow three mil he is too much of a chump to own a team.

Oh let me try to look at the other side of the coin.

This team minus Revis, and with the Sanchez+Tebow+McElroy freak show still won 6 games. They convincingly beat the Colts who are headed to the playoffs. How far away can it be from being a playoff bound team. Substitute the QB's with even an average QB like Matt Moore and this team is headed to the playoffs this season despite all the injury issues.

Add to that Mo Wilk has been in beast mode in the 2nd half of the season. Coples has improved. Our AARP linebacking corps are gone. Do not think this team is that far away from being a good team. It feels like that when you have god awful QB's.

Stop believing every single unnamed source in the media. Fools!

Also, gotta love the whining about Rex's *alleged* comments when you've all been making those same comment all season. Seriously just shut up.

That Mehta dude has been on his game this year, gotta give him credit. He might take a few things out of context to better serve his story but by and large he is correctly capturing the situation.

We rarely threw the ball in the second half. If we did, it wasnt on first or second down. You dont remember Braylon Edwards after the game?

Braylon had a rookie corner on him who he was abusing in the first half and we never went back to him.

We never went back to him or Sanchez never went back to him? First off, it's not true. We did; they just weren't completed passes. Second, Sanchez was throwing, not Schottenheimer. Third, immature high-talent receivers always complain about not getting the ball enough and you don't know how many other times Braylon was the primary read but he just wasn't open. Maybe none, but we don't really know.

As far as the "we rarely passed on 1st/2nd downs" claim, it was a long time ago so I'm sure everyone's memory is a little hazy. So I looked it up and it seems your memory is as hazy as mine is. Excluding the last drive where every down was a pass attempt vs a D that allowed us to complete all short passes so long as we stayed in bounds (since we were down by two touchdowns with 1:06 left on our own 10):

First downs in the 2nd half:

7 rush attempts, 5 pass attempts (really 6 rush attempts since one was a replay of 1st down due to a holding penalty)

The 7 rush attempts:

• Greene gain 7
  • Jones gain 12 (1st down)
  • Jones gain 5 (holding Jets; 1st & 20)
  • Jones gain 3
  • Jones gain 0
  • Jones gain 2
  • Jones gain 5

The 5 pass attempts:

• complete gain 5
  • incomplete
  • incomplete
  • incomplete
  • interception

Second downs in the second half:

3 rush attempts, 7 pass attempts

3 rush attempts

• Greene gain 7 (1st down)
  • Jones gain 3
  • Jones loss 2

6 pass attempts

• complete gain 19 (1st down)
  • incomplete
  • complete gain 4
  • incomplete
  • incomplete
  • complete gain 15 (1st down; interception on next play 1st & 10)

Bro, even more than I remembered, Sanchez was atrocious when Schottenheimer let him pass on 1st & 2nd downs.

Success running on 1st or 2nd down: 4 of 9 (4 of 10 if you count the holding penalty, but the penalty wasn't because of the type of play it was, run vs pass)

And in the first half there were 2 big pass plays for the Jets and Sanchez didn't even throw both of them. One was the 80 yarder to Braylon. The other was when Brad Smith connected with Cotchery for a 45 yard gain. On that drive we got a TD, but Sanchez didn't even attempt a pass until we were already on Indy's 9 yard line.

Success passing on 1st or 2nd down: 3 of 12 (unless one considers a 4 yard pass on 2nd & 10 to be a truly "successful" play; even still that would be 4 of 12), with an interception.

After that 80 yard TD to open the 2nd quarter, Braylon didn't catch another pass. 3 incomplete pass attempts to him. If he was so open, then blame Sanchez for not throwing it his way or not hitting him when he did attempt to. But don't blame some fiction about the Jets never attempting to pass the ball on 1st or 2nd down. We passed more than we ran on 1st & 2nd downs in the 2nd half. And that doesn't even count the last drive when all 4 of our 1st/2nd downs were pass attempts.

Schottenheimer wasn't exactly a genius offensive coordinator, nor Rex a brilliant offensive strategist either. But we didn't pass the ball more because it was a close game, because Sanchez was a rookie who sucks at passing, and because our strength on offense was running the ball not passing it. The Colts were the opposite so they did the opposite. We were the #1 rushing offense and #31 passing offense; Indy was the #2 passing offense and the #32 rushing offense.

If Sanchez was half the passer Manning was we'd have won that game. Other than the bomb to Braylon - which was friggin' awesome - I don't know that Sanchez completed another single pass before or after that for the entire rest of the game that traveled even 10 yards from the line of scrimmage. That's how much of a non-asset he was to our offense.

Sanchez is and has been a curse on this already-cursed franchise.

Give me a break with "handed to him." It's been reported EVERYWHERE that he wanted Sanchez and there is no way I believe that he didn't OK the Tebow trade. He's been picking the players from the second he got here. Why do you think the Bart Scott's and Eric Smith's of the world are still on this team and they keep drafting DL's?

Not sure what that has do with anything, we're just trying to show what a QB does for a team.

Archived