WalterFootball Mock Draft

slats

I like Walter's site, but man does he have no respect for the Jets...

9. New York Jets: Jonathan Cooper, G/C, North Carolina

Yes, yes, I know, interior linemen don't go in the top 10. But please keep this in mind: A) With Rex Ryan making the decisions (according to agents) and the new general manager being just a cap guy, the Jets are stupid enough to do something like this. B) Jonathan Cooper might be their top available prospect, having gotten a very close look at him when they scouted Quinton Coples last year. C) The top of this draft class stinks, so two guards are expected to be chosen in the top 12. D) Cooper fills a huge need on the interior of the offensive line.

Oh, and nothing else really makes too much sense; Bjoern Werner is a worse reach at No. 9 than a guard is, while the Jets have eschewed smaller, stand-up pass-rushers like Barkevious Mingo under Rex Ryan. New York is in a tough spot in this scenario, so it might just take the best player remaining on its board.

*** OTHER 2013 NFL DRAFT POSSIBILITIES: ***

1. Cordarrelle Patterson, WR - Mike Tannenbaum was recently fired because he put the Jets in an awful cap position, but given that he's a recent, former employee, he almost definitely has some inside information about the team. He mocked Cordarrelle Patterson to New York in a 10-team mock draft a few days ago, and the other NFL Network panelists followed suit.

2. Ezekiel Ansah or Bjoern Werner, DE/OLB - The Jets need a lot of things, including a top-notch pass-rusher.

3. Desmond Trufant or Xavier Rhodes, CB - If the Jets trade either Darrelle Revis or Antonio Cromartie, they'll definitely consider the top cornerback available.

I don't buy his take on Rex/Idzik, but here's a link to his site: http://walterfootball.com/draft2013.php

I think the guy is knowledgable, he just hates the Jets. Lol.

39. New York Jets: Ryan Nassib, QB, Syracuse

The Jets need to take a chance on a young quarterback because Mark Sanchez is awful. They have to give their fans some hope, or they may lose more supporters than just Fireman Ed. They've shown lots of interest in Ryan Nassib.

Pick change; previously Eddie Lacy, RB

I think the guy is knowledgable, he just hates the Jets. Lol.

39. New York Jets: Ryan Nassib, QB, Syracuse

The Jets need to take a chance on a young quarterback because Mark Sanchez is awful. They have to give their fans some hope, or they may lose more supporters than just Fireman Ed. They've shown lots of interest in Ryan Nassib.

Pick change; previously Eddie Lacy, RB

I didn't see this. **** him. 

Nassib wouldn't give any Jet fans hope of anything.

There's a shot at the Jets in every pick!

72. New York Jets: Christine Michael, RB, Texas A&M

The Jets need to give their next quarterback some weapons to work with. Both the receiver and tight end positions need to be upgraded. Running back must be addressed as well. Shonn Greene's a free agent, but he wasn't very good anyway.

Pick change; previously Ryan Nassib, QB

The media-at-large has been waiting to skewer Rex and this team from his opening press conference. Because I'm a sad little person, I read as much about the Jets (etc) as I can and literally no one with a byline has a positive thing to say these about the team these days. If you talk the talk, you better walk the walk.

New York is in a tough spot in this scenario, so it might just take the best player remaining on its board.

I don't buy his take on Rex/Idzik, but here's a link to his site: http://walterfootball.com/draft2013.php

Oh no!! Not the best player available! What a horrific strategy that would be!

The media-at-large has been waiting to skewer Rex and this team from his opening press conference. Because I'm a sad little person, I read as much about the Jets (etc) as I can and literally no one with a byline has a positive thing to say these about the team these days. If you talk the talk, you better walk the walk.

I honestly don't remember them waiting.  They were skewering him the whole time, even when the team was winning. 

Speaking of which, has anyone else noted that the writers from ROTOWORLD absolutely tear into the jets whenever they can?  I know our generation as a whole has gotten progressively more snarky, sports media included, but the way they write about the jets you'd think they're either a pats, bills or fins fan.  

Speaking of which, has anyone else noted that the writers from ROTOWORLD absolutely tear into the jets whenever they can?  I know our generation as a whole has gotten progressively more snarky, sports media included, but the way they write about the jets you'd think they're either a pats, bills or fins fan.  

Absolutely. I've noticed this for a while now. It's almost like Ryan had insulted them in some way.

Yes, yes, I know, interior linemen don't go in the top 10. But please keep this in mind: A) With Rex Ryan making the decisions (according to agents) and the new general manager being just a cap guy, the Jets are stupid enough to do something like this. B) Jonathan Cooper might be their top available prospect, having gotten a very close look at him when they scouted Quinton Coples last year. C) The top of this draft class stinks, so two guards are expected to be chosen in the top 12. D) Cooper fills a huge need on the interior of the offensive line.

Oh, and nothing else really makes too much sense; Bjoern Werner is a worse reach at No. 9 than a guard is, while the Jets have eschewed smaller, stand-up pass-rushers like Barkevious Mingo under Rex Ryan. New York is in a tough spot in this scenario, so it might just take the best player remaining on its board.

1. Cordarrelle Patterson, WR - Mike Tannenbaum was recently fired because he put the Jets in an awful cap position, but given that he's a recent, former employee, he almost definitely has some inside information about the team. He mocked Cordarrelle Patterson to New York in a 10-team mock draft a few days ago, and the other NFL Network panelists followed suit.

2. Ezekiel Ansah or Bjoern Werner, DE/OLB - The Jets need a lot of things, including a top-notch pass-rusher.

3. Desmond Trufant or Xavier Rhodes, CB - If the Jets trade either Darrelle Revis or Antonio Cromartie, they'll definitely consider the top cornerback available.

So here's the irony.  According to Walter:

1) Two Guards are expected to go top-12

2) No other pick makes sense

3) He fills a huge need

But the Jets would be idiots to take him.

Yep...I like the site too, but Walter is a flat-out idiot when it comes to being objective sometimes.

D'Brick - Cooper - Mangold - Ducasse/Colon - Howard would be the most athletic OL in the league. Of course it's a long shot that Vlad can start.

Ducasse and Revis to Tampa for pick #13.   Draft both Warmack and Cooper in Rd 1 and have the best line in the NFL for the next decade.  

Ducasse and Revis to Tampa for pick #13.   Draft both Warmack and Cooper in Rd 1 and have the best line in the NFL for the next decade.  

While for the duration of their rookie contract it would indeed be great, but if they live up to their billing, it would be almost impossible to keep that line together for longer than that, unless you want to sink a quarter of your cap into the offensive line.  I'd have less of a problem drafting cooper or warmack with the 13th overall selection, but I don't think there's any way I could pull the trigger in the top 10.  Will be interesting to see the type of move that Idzik makes with his first ever draft selection.

Absolutely. I've noticed this for a while now. It's almost like Ryan had insulted them in some way.

Alright, good.  I've been wanting to ask this for some time now as it's the level of snarkiness has honestly gotten to the point you'd think one of our posters was writing it up.  

Seems like nobody would be willing to trade up to that spot though.

Seems like it, but you never know.  In 2008 there were supposedly 6 "blue chip" prospects (with Gholston being the 6th).  And after we made that #6 pick, NE was still able to trade out of the #7 slot.

Even if a player at #9 is not a notably better prospect than one could get at #18, if there is a run on a type of player in the top-8 (like pass rusher) that could increase the value of the #9 pick.  Also there's another month of free agency to sort out before the draft.  Given who's gone off the board by #9, a team that picks 5-10 slots later may look at the teams between their pick and ours and conclude that, based on other teams' needs and rumors, neither of the 1 or 2 players they're in love with will be available.

Just because the consensus is that there isn't a great deal of disparity in the level of prospects from the top 10 to the late teens, it does not mean that there aren't a few teams that have fallen in love with a few of those players, with a bunch of teams valuing a select player or two far above the rest of that batch of prospects.  If that happens - and it happens quite often - we may yet get someone to move up to #9.  

The worst part about this is he has Chance Warmack still on the board, I am no expert, but I'm pretty sure Warmack is regarded as the can't miss/best interior lineman in the draft. He doesn't know dick about Idzik, and won't even consider the fact that Idzik just witnessed one of the best drafts by a team in a long time last year with the Seahawks, yea it might not translate on his own, but you can't just say he is an idiot either.

Seems like nobody would be willing to trade up to that spot though.

That might all change thou if certain crazy picks happen in the 1st 8, say by some miracle one of the 2 OT's fall to 9 the Jets would have 5+ teams calling for that pick, also if no WR has been selected yet, and one team (it just takes one) absolutely loves a certain WR, and has him graded much higher than any other WR we could get a taker, and if G Smith is still available someone might want him (I doubt it thou), not to mention the crazy swings in which DT is the next V Wilfork, it seems every week there are 3, or 4 of the same guys getting slotted anywhere from 1st overall to 30th, and each week the guy who was 1st is now like 11th, and vice versa, it all depends on each teams draft board, each team has completely different views, also the conventional wisdom of you don't take certain positions that high is out the window in my eyes because of the new salary limits these guys can make, if you think Warmack, or Milliner, or a Safety, or any good damn player at any position other than punter, or kicker is the BAP on YOUR board, and you can't trade down, you take said player even if its the 5th pick, and your BAP is an interior lineman, or CB, or S, or ILB ect....

Go back, and look at the top 15 picks in last years draft, and you will see the NFL organizations are recognizing this, and some no longer follow those said old drafting unofficial rules anymore. A busted pick no longer sets your franchise back 5 years in the top 5, financially you could take the 1st QB of the draft 3 straight years, and if those 3 QB's were your whole depth chart year 3 you would be paying A LOT less than what the top tier QB's make by themselves, not including their backups.

So here's the irony.  According to Walter:

1) Two Guards are expected to go top-12

2) No other pick makes sense

3) He fills a huge need

But the Jets would be idiots to take him.

Yep...I like the site too, but Walter is a flat-out idiot when it comes to being objective sometimes.

I go there for Charlie Cambell's mock, he isn't the best either, but instead of writing why he thinks this team will choose each player, he writes a small piece on said players skill set, and why he might fit the needs of each team, quoting stats, combine numbers, and his comparisons to what type of player he could be using current NFL players they compare to, much better info even if the mock is out of whack

historically guards don't go top 10. even really good ones. 

As in historically you mean Pre-Lockout drafts, with the new cap system on how much draft picks are allowed to make, you can throw historically out the window for 5 years, and then reevaluate what the new drafting patterns are IMO, yes nobody wanted to pay a G top 10 money, but now you don't pay him a kings ransom, so if the interior G is BAP at 9 there is no reason not to take him anymore, and the position is really underrated IMO, you can't run power O without an ATHLETIC, QUICK, SMART, mauling LG in this league anymore, and you also can't find a LT who can protect a QB, so LG for a team who wants to run should be considered the 3rd most important position on offense behind QB, and LT (again I can count on 1 hand how many LT's can actually protect the QB, and these teams with elite QB's still win inspite of this).

historically guards don't go top 10. even really good ones. 

How much of that is money related thought?  Does the new CBA and rookie salary structure change that?  The Jets don't like paying guards a lot so under the old structure, the 10th pick was going to make a lot more money than what the 10th pick will get this year.

The worst part about this is he has Chance Warmack still on the board, I am no expert, but I'm pretty sure Warmack is regarded as the can't miss/best interior lineman in the draft. He doesn't know dick about Idzik, and won't even consider the fact that Idzik just witnessed one of the best drafts by a team in a long time last year with the Seahawks, yea it might not translate on his own, but you can't just say he is an idiot either.

Not any more.  Warmack didn't have a good combine.  Short, slow, mediocre positional drills.  He didn't lift or participate in much beyond the 40. Plenty of people were just as high on Cooper before the combine. From what I have read about them, I'd think Cooper will better fit what MM wants to do, but I don't think they are going to pay too much attention to Mornhinweg when drafting.

I respect the importance of OL play, but OL was solid last year... proving that a good OL alone does not make an offense. We were sorely lacking in the skill positions, we need to upgrade there while spending more smart, 2nd day picks on the OL like we did with Matt Slauson who has been a very good value.

Not any more.  Warmack didn't have a good combine.  Short, slow, mediocre positional drills.  He didn't lift or participate in much beyond the 40. Plenty of people were just as high on Cooper before the combine. From what I have read about them, I'd think Cooper will better fit what MM wants to do, but I don't think they are going to pay too much attention to Mornhinweg when drafting.

I did not realize Warmack had such a poor showing, and yes I agree the Jets should not draft ANY offensive position with the idea of how does he fit with MM's system, Idzik should sit MM down, and tell him you need to fit into the players I give you on offense, don't bitch this guy is talented, but doesn't fit what I want to do, the NFL is such an ever evolving game, your coaches NEED to be open minded when it comes to adjusting offensive, and defensive strategy, like the Seahawks did last year.

How much of that is money related thought?  Does the new CBA and rookie salary structure change that?  The Jets don't like paying guards a lot so under the old structure, the 10th pick was going to make a lot more money than what the 10th pick will get this year.

Money is part of it but the other part of it is impact. How does drafting this player radically impact the team (for the better). in the cases of guards and nose tackles, it probably doesn't. When we look at the Jets it's ludicrous to say if only they had better guard play they'd be a good team. It's not really the problem.

I like Cooper and Warmack but Iupati is probably a better prospect than both. I've gone back and forth on this... if the Jets get a rd 1 for Revis, maybe guard is the BAP at 13 (slight reach). It's probably too early at 9. It's a safe pick but it's not an exciting one. In this draft, if they had 2 early picks, one should probably be safe. 

dont forget this is entertainment. kids aren't making their parents buy Cooper jerseys. 

I respect the importance of OL play, but OL was solid last year... proving that a good OL alone does not make an offense. We were sorely lacking in the skill positions, we need to upgrade there while spending more smart, 2nd day picks on the OL like we did with Matt Slauson who has been a very good value.

We are 2 years away from competing again minimum, BAP, BAP! How do the Giants look for drafting JPP when they had Tuck, and Osi?

Archived