****NY Jets Superbo...Errr, 1st Round Draft Selection Gameday Thread****

gangreenman

Eifert to the Bengals. A ballsy move on their part. Already have Jermaine Gresham at TE. Their GM realized that Eifert could be an offensive weapon regardless if they already had a TE. Nice move. Maybe Idzik can learn something from him.

But Eifert is a very capable blocker and can play on the line.  Gives them a ton of versatility.  For the most part, I do not see Eifertt and Gresham being redundant.

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's very much like the 2008 draft where everyone was clamoring for Limas Sweed, Devin Thomas and James Hardy and not one of them went in the first. Outside of Tavon Austin it just seems that no one feels highly of any of these offensive skill positions. Would not be surprised to see the Jets land Nassib with the second if Geno keeps on falling and the Jags nab him.

Also, don't sleep on Cornelius Washington in the 2nd or 3rd, he could be the OLB we were truly targeting all along.

Jamie Collins

And again, unless there is a really really deep run on skills players, the Jets will have their choice at top 3-5 WR and TE prospect in the 2nd. 

But no, everyone wanted them to reach for offensive skill players just because we need them.  For months, all I've read was that this draft was top heavy with defensive players and that there were not a lot of real offensive skill position players at the top of the draft.  So the Jets draft defense which is where the talent was at the top and get killed for it, but if they were to reach for offensive players based on need, they would get applauded for it.  Some Jets' fans are just embarrassing.

Mo, Coples, Davis are 3 of 7 players drafted by Rex.  Ellis, a 3rd round pick, is solid when healthy and has shown some signs of beast mode.  I think Wilson is a good nickel corner.  Who knows what Josh Bush and Antonio Allen's careers will look like but they we're 6th and 7th round picks.  The only defensive player he's drafted that has 3 years under his belt to assess, is Wilson.  And for a late 1st round pick, he's been part of a very good secondary.

Wilson is far from great as a nickel and he absolutely sucks against the opposition's #1's and #2's.  Ellis ranges from average to slug most of the time -- no beast mode.  Bush and Allen have shown nothing.   Keep drinking the Kool-Aid.

Wilson is far from great as a nickel and he absolutely sucks against the opposition's #1's and #2's.  Ellis ranges from average to slug most of the time -- no beast mode.  Bush and Allen have shown nothing.   Keep drinking the Kool-Aid.

Ellis showed signs early. But like ok they have 4 really good DTs. Wilson is a solid nickle. Not great but solid. I think they like Bush to play with Landry and then they'll probably look at S late again this year. 

Ellis showed signs early. But like ok they have 4 really good DTs. Wilson is a solid nickle. Not great but solid. I think they like Bush to play with Landry and then they'll probably look at S late again this year. 

I do have hope for Bush.  No rationale, just hope and a wishful gut feeling. 

Maybe Idzik on a 2 year plan here....putting some finishing touches on the defense this year since its way closer to being a good squad than the offense is....and between the later rounds this year and free agency and draft next year we start stacking the offense. Along the way, we find our franchise qb somewhere. Sucks bc ya wanna win now but maybe Idzik is looking further ahead.

Bush and Allen were rookie 6th and 7th round picks with a 5% chance of making a team.  Using them to damn Ryan is ridiculous. 

Wilson is a good nickel.  Never said great anything.  Ellis has been mostly injured but very solid when healthy on very little snaps.  Hard to asses him since he hasnt eve played but in 12 games.  Hopefully he stays healthy this year and lives up to his potential for a 3rd round pick. 

I'm not drinking Kool-Aid.  I'm being rational and realistic.  

Maybe Idzik on a 2 year plan here....putting some finishing touches on the defense this year since its way closer to being a good squad than the offense is....and between the later rounds this year and free agency and draft next year we start stacking the offense. Along the way, we find our franchise qb somewhere. Sucks bc ya wanna win now but maybe Idzik is looking further ahead.

I think this is obviously the case. Lots of draft left too.... I'm not rushing to judgement.

I just would have preferred getting different players, but I don't know sh*t.

Hard to say no.

It really would be, although I doubt he'd get past both Jacksonville and Philly to get to us, but if so I say you pull the trigger.  Same thing goes for Nassib; I don't particularly like him, but if the coaching staff has a first round ground on both, I say pounce on him.

I think this is obviously the case. Lots of draft left too.... I'm not rushing to judgement.

Exactly. Both picks could end up great. But given the circumstances, needs and holes....they suck.

I'm still depressed. 

That's how I felt after Mingo and Austin were gone; Mingo was the only player of the top ten I really watched extensively this year and outside of that, I have to just trust the scouting department to go BPA, which it seemed like they did. Idzik and everyone knows how sh*tty our offense is, which makes me think that they went BPA.  Who outside of Warmack or Eiffert was really worthy of a pick there? And didn't Eiffert drop another half dozen spots?  IF it's true Sheldon was top 5 on their board, which it's quite possible he was, I have no problem with it.  I'm more pissed we didn't get Mingo and Austin as opposed to pissed at our picks.

But no, everyone wanted them to reach for offensive skill players just because we need them.  For months, all I've read was that this draft was top heavy with defensive players and that there were not a lot of real offensive skill position players at the top of the draft.  So the Jets draft defense which is where the talent was at the top and get killed for it, but if they were to reach for offensive players based on need, they would get applauded for it.  Some Jets' fans are just embarrassing.

? No. The draft was not top heavy at defense. It was top heavy at offensive line. Guards and tackles galore. Guards and tackles that will be all pros. And we need a guard and a tackle badly. Ridiculous. Three of top four picks were tackles. Two guards in top ten. First round is dominated by guards and tackles. And we drafted two defensive players. Milliner I can forgive. But there were two better DTs available, better OL available, better TEs available, and at least three better OLB available. And we went with that mutt with the Revis pick. Disgusting.

Archived