Sources: Jets may cut Mark Sanchez

RSJ

Sources: Jets may cut Mark Sanchez
Updated: April 26, 2013, 7:36 PM ET
By Adam Schefter | ESPN

With the second-round selection of Geno Smith, the New York Jets now have a surplus of quarterbacks, leading some sources familiar with the situation to say the team will consider releasing quarterback Mark Sanchez.

Jets' Greatest Draft Thefts

From Gastineau to Klecko, we ranked the top 10 Jets draft steals.  Top 10 

The Jets could opt to designate Sanchez a post-June 1 salary-cap casualty, but clearly there is not enough room for all quarterbacks.

Newly signed free-agent quarterback David Garrard has impressed the organization with his play and personality and he is considered an ideal mentor for a young quarterback like Smith.

There also has been a slight change in the thought process surrounding Tim Tebow, who showed up to his team's training facility 15 pounds lighter. Tebow has won some support within the organization, per sources familiar with the situation.

Tebow appears lighter, faster and has worked to improve his throwing motion, which the Jets have noticed. The longer he is in the building, the more he wins support, one source said.

This could leave Sanchez as the odd man out. It's not the first time the Jets are considering this move, sources said.

Shefter has been 100% correct on this story the whole time. fwiw

Garrard, Geno, Tebow

Cut the rest. Absolutely NO reason not to hang onto Tebow at this point. 

Start Garrard, develop both Geno and Tebow. Transition to whichever is best, trade the other BECAUSE QBs are like GOLD!!!! 

Garrard, Geno, Tebow

Cut the rest. Absolutely NO reason not to hang onto Tebow at this point. 

Start Garrard, develop both Geno and Tebow. Transition to whichever is best, trade the other BECAUSE QBs are like GOLD!!!! 

You mean other than him being god awful, not worth the money and more of a distraction than an addition?  Rather have McElroy as the #3.

You mean other than him being god awful, not worth the money and more of a distraction than an addition?  Rather have McElroy as the #3.

He's not being brought in to threaten Sanchez anymore, or be the punt protecting gimmick... he's more likely to become a trade-able asset than Sanchez or McElroy.

Don't let your hate-boner get in the way of good business.

He's not being brought in to threaten Sanchez anymore, or be the punt protecting gimmick... he's more likely to become a trade-able asset than Sanchez or McElroy.

I agree with this. I think Tebow is less of a distraction a year later, especially with a new QB drafted fairly high. He seems willing to be a team player. His stock was at an all time low at the end of last year. If he can improve a little bit, maybe show something in the preseason against third-stringers and UPS drivers, he might fetch something in a trade next year. 

I'd also like to see the Jets get something for Sanchez in a trade. A late pick would be fine. Someone out there might want to control the process and take him on. 

It's not a matter of who he's threatening or anything like that, Tebow will always be a distraction because he's Tebow.  That's not even his fault, I know that, but it's still true.  Geno doesn't need to deal with that crap.

He won't bring anything of value to the Jets, and he isn't going to magically gain trade value by rotting away on the bench as the Jets' #3 QB.  You try to move him if you can, but if not there's not much point in keeping him around.  This is the same team who a couple of months ago jumped him on the depth chart for a second-year 7th round pick who missed his entire rookie year.

This would be great. I log on here everyday and read the new threads, and I am always excited to see what big news is going on. The worst news came a week ago "Revis traded", and this has the potential to be close to an equalizer "Sanchez released". Amazing. 2013 is going to be awesome.

It's not a matter of who he's threatening or anything like that, Tebow will always be a distraction because he's Tebow.  That's not even his fault, I know that, but it's still true.  Geno doesn't need to deal with that crap.

He won't bring anything of value to the Jets, and he isn't going to magically gain trade value by rotting away on the bench as the Jets' #3 QB.  You try to move him if you can, but if not there's not much point in keeping him around.  This is the same team who a couple of months ago jumped him on the depth chart for a second-year 7th round pick who missed his entire rookie year.

Meh, most grown men don't get "distracted" as easily as Sanchez was. I think you are over-selling Tebow as a detriment. 

Any time you can develop a QB and grow his value, it's worth doing. The position should be treated like the stock market. Sell high, not low. 

Not going to argue it further, you are well-entrenched in an anti-Tebow position, I'm not asking you to change. I just don't think you are being logical. It doesn't matter. Debating our #4 QB is stupid.

I agree with this. I think Tebow is less of a distraction a year later, especially with a new QB drafted fairly high. He seems willing to be a team player. His stock was at an all time low at the end of last year. If he can improve a little bit, maybe show something in the preseason against third-stringers and UPS drivers, he might fetch something in a trade next year. 

I'd also like to see the Jets get something for Sanchez in a trade. A late pick would be fine. Someone out there might want to control the process and take him on. 

at this point,a late conditional 2016 pick would be a coup

Meh, most grown men don't get "distracted" as easily as Sanchez was. I think you are over-selling Tebow as a detriment. 

Any time you can develop a QB and grow his value, it's worth doing. The position should be treated like the stock market. Sell high, not low. 

Not going to argue it further, you are well-entrenched in an anti-Tebow position, I'm not asking you to change. I just don't think you are being logical. It doesn't matter. Debating our #4 QB is stupid.

Fair enough, but all I'm saying is his market is not going to increase while being buried on the depth chart of the freakin' Jets of all teams.  With Geno showing up, Tebow's chance of playing went from 0.01% to 0.  It's not even about hating him anymore, everything I said about him last season turned out to be right, but at this point he doesn't even really matter.  Rather, it's more about the flip side of people who are enamored with him simply because of his name.  He doesn't really bring any value to the team.  You use your bottom QB position fluidly in hopes you step in sh*t and have a legit player emerge out of that.  You don't spend millions of dollars there on a guy you already know sucks.

Keeping Tebow does two things for Geno.

1. It provides cover for him, in that The QB Story of 2013 will remain Tebow, and not "When Will Smith Start?" And

2. Smith is a little thin-skinned and distractable. There is perhaps no athlete alive who is able to tune out negativity and derision more than Tim Tebow. The guy gets sh*t on by crowds, coaches, and cowardly broadcasters everywhere and never, ever breaks. He could really mentor Smith in that aspect.

Not a chance. Geno sucks.

Man you are really holding on huh? haha I was a big Sanchez defender at one point but are you like related to him or something? The guy is trash. He is mentally destroyed here.

Geno was brought in to take his job. Plain and simple.

I think they are crunching the numbers right now, we get zero for Sanchez. No ones picking up that contract, no one. He's is worth a late rounder, but for the Tanny Albertross contract they gave him only 12 months ago. He's a goner, I have a cold one in the fridge just waiting for the good news.

I think are crunching the numbers right now, we get zero for Sanchez. No ones picking up that contract, no one. He's be worth a late rounder, but for the Tanny Albertross contract they gave him only 12 months ago. He's a goner, I have a cold one in the fridge just waiting for the good news.

Houston we have a problem

20511431_BG1.jpg

Keeping Tebow does two things for Geno.

1. It provides cover for him, in that The QB Story of 2013 will remain Tebow, and not "When Will Smith Start?" And

2. Smith is a little thin-skinned and distractable. There is perhaps no athlete alive who is able to tune out negativity and derision more than Tim Tebow. The guy gets sh*t on by crowds, coaches, and cowardly broadcasters everywhere and never, ever breaks. He could really mentor Smith in that aspect.

These are salient points, T0m.

You must be blocking out the Nets-Bulls debacle almost as well as Matt is blocking out the debacle of his beloved Nuggets.

Bottom line is that with the new CBA rules and allowing to cut a player at any time and designate him as a post June 1 cut, Sanchez should be gone soon.

Sad since he had a chance to be a good player but he, Tanny, and Rex blew it.

Archived