Calvin Pace down on Darrelle Revis deal

F.Chowds

FLORHAM PARK – When Calvin Pace is in the defensive huddle these days, he sees plenty of unfamiliar faces. That's only natural, considering the Jets lost seven defensive starters from 2012. And when he looks across the line of scrimmage during practice, he sees something even stranger.

Yes, there is a No. 24 jersey, but it's being worn by first-year running back John Griffin.

"If I was him, I think I'd let that number sit down for a year," the Jets' veteran linebacker said. "It's big shoes to fill."

Of course, nobody is expecting an undrafted free agent from Massachusetts to be the next Darrelle Revis, especially when he plays a position on the other side of the ball. But the mere number is a stark reminder of what the Jets' previous No. 24 brought to the table before he was traded to Tampa Bay in April.

Revis wanted more money than the Jets were willing to pay.

"I was disappointed," Pace said when asked his opinion about the Jets dealing the perennial Pro Bowl cornerback. "I considered Revis a friend since the day I got here and I just watched him grow into what I feel is the best corner in the NFL. To not have that is disheartening."

But Pace went on to say Revis' departure is part of the "business" that is the NFL, adding, "You see him go and you wish him well. Hopefully, he doesn't have a good game against us in Week 1. I think it's a good situation for him. I'm sad to see him go, but I'm happy for him, too."

Pace was asked how he thinks the Jets did in the Revis trade. They received the 13th overall pick in the 2013 NFL draft, which they used to select Missouri defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson. They also got a conditional third-round pick in the 2014 draft.

"I'm not going to sit here and put pressure on Sheldon or anybody else," Pace said. "The jury is out on how our side of the deal worked out."

Pace knows all about the business of the NFL. He was released by the Jets in February to save money on the salary cap, and re-signed in April for a one-year dea

Honestly enough already. show some effing  gratitude to the team that took your sorry non preforming ass back. And,not just Calvin by all the player they are crying like a 7th grader that just found out that his 1st girlfriends father got a promotion and they are going to have to move to another state. I can't believe she is gone.

Hey Calvin if I was you I would concentrate on stepping up your own game or your ass will be gone next year as well!

John Idzik need to tighten the clamps down on all this sh*t!

Honestly enough already. show some effing  gratitude to the team that took your sorry non preforming ass back. And,not just Calvin by all the player they are crying like a 7th grader that just found out that his 1st girlfriends father got a promotion and they are going to have to move to another state. I can't believe she is gone.

Hey Calvin if I was you I would concentrate on stepping up your own game or your ass will be gone next year as well!

John Idzik need to tighten the clamps down on all this sh*t!

i can't wait until they replace all the players with Robots, so we don't need to hear their opinions.

Cyberball_Cover.jpg

I think Revis was just a confused dude....teammates all seemed to love him, great player...team guy when he was in the locker room....

The organization just had enough of Sean Gilbert. Not even the agents....it was Gilbert running this entire racket. Friggin Jets even let that guy on as a coach for a year to try and kiss his ass....

I think Revis was just a confused dude....teammates all seemed to love him, great player...team guy when he was in the locker room....

The organization just had enough of Sean Gilbert. Not even the agents....it was Gilbert running this entire racket. Friggin Jets even let that guy on as a coach for a year to try and kiss his ass....

I think it just stopped being fun for him when Tannenbaum left. He wasn't going to get Idzik to make an ass of himself driving to Roscoe's on national TV

i can't wait until they replace all the players with Robots, so we don't need to hear their opinions.

Cyberball_Cover.jpg

Seems to be working just fine for the NEP... and all I am saying is he is gone just get over it stop giving the NY media sh*t to sink there teeth into and STFU and play ball

Pace under performed his contract his whole time here...4 game suspension for PED's? Is that the business side too, Pace?

well when you consider that performance=compensation then yeah taking ped's is one way athletes can try to strengthen their stance when it come to negotiations

Revis is great, but Revis is a greedy Douche, no one but Tampa was willing to part with anything, and pay 16mill per. The corner market is flat and he's getting paid Q.B money to play Corner. The only reason Tampa have that kind of Money is because in the none CBA year, the Glazers only spend 85mill on the team in Salaries'. They did not go to the 115mill Min. Now the CBA is back in place, they have to reach a minimum salary, they had money to burn and needed a corner bad.

Revis is great, but Revis is a greedy Douche, no one but Tampa was willing to part with anything, and pay 16mill per.  

as an athlete trying to get paid he's a "douche" but it's ok for a guy like Pace to say he misses the other vets. It's a valid human emotion. We treat these guys like salary cap numbers but they are people. whether it's right or wrong for the Jets long term, isn't relevant to the team aspect where guys get used to seeing certain coworkers and then those coworkers leave. 

well when you consider that performance=compensation then yeah taking ped's is one way athletes can try to strengthen their stance when it come to negotiations

As dishonest as make up on a chick

As dishonest as make up on a chick

dishonest but whats the alternative? you can't just go get a masters degree in strength or speed. these guys are under so much pressure to perform at freakish levels of athleticism or return quickly from serious injuries (or risk being unceremoniously cut) that some of them resort to taking PED's to get that edge that they could never attain naturally. they then become all-pros or help their team win the superbowl and their contracts reflect that.

dishonest but whats the alternative? you can't just go get a masters degree in strength or speed. these guys are under so much pressure to perform at freakish levels of athleticism or return quickly from serious injuries (or risk being unceremoniously cut) that some of them resort to taking PED's to get that edge that they could never attain naturally. they then become all-pros or help their team win the superbowl and their contracts reflect that.

So when did Pace become All-Pro and when did the Jets when the Superbowl? Didnt happen.

In fact, he got caught and suspended.

So, just the contract, lol...which is kind of my point.

Now I really dont care what players do...shoot up, rub on themselves...no matter unless caught, right?

Granted Pace has been consistent/solid...at best.

But to me, he's hampered the Jets more then helped them...

1. Signing a contract more then his actual worth and taking up cap space that couldve been used elsewhere(obviously not completly his fault)

2. Pumping himself with sh*t and getting caught resulting in suspension. We did manage to go 3-1 but that loss we gave up 150+ rushing yds to the Saints...maybe he couldve contributed...maybe not.

While Im not a huge fan of media speak and vanilla answers...this is one time I think the cliche response for the betterment of the team is DESERVED by the fans...we earned it supporting him and his mediocre at best play.

"Hey, I wish Darrelle the absolute best every week but the first, BUT HEY THIS IS MY NEW SQUAD, I HAVE CONFIDENCE IN OUR COACHING STAFF AND TEAMMATES AND WE ARE GOING TO MOVE FORWARD AND KICK SOME ASS!

We need some of those types of guys.

Honestly, if the drop off behind him isnt that significant..I'd prefer he get cut.

In Idzik We Trust!

So when did Pace become All-Pro and when did the Jets when the Superbowl? Didnt happen.

In fact, he got caught and suspended.

So, just the contract, lol...which is kind of my point.

Now I really dont care what players do...shoot up, rub on themselves...no matter unless caught, right?

Granted Pace has been consistent/solid...at best.

But to me, he's hampered the Jets more then helped them...

1. Signing a contract more then his actual worth and taking up cap space that couldve been used elsewhere(obviously not completly his fault)

2. Pumping himself with sh*t and getting caught resulting in suspension. We did manage to go 3-1 but that loss we gave up 150+ rushing yds to the Saints...maybe he couldve contributed...maybe not.

While Im not a huge fan of media speak and vanilla answers...this is one time I think the cliche response for the betterment of the team is DESERVED by the fans...we earned it supporting him and his mediocre at best play.

"Hey, I wish Darrelle the absolute best every week but the first, BUT HEY THIS IS MY NEW SQUAD, I HAVE CONFIDENCE IN OUR COACHING STAFF AND TEAMMATES AND WE ARE GOING TO MOVE FORWARD AND KICK SOME ASS!

We need some of those types of guys.

Honestly, if the drop off behind him isnt that significant..I'd prefer he get cut.

In Idzik We Trust!

that should have read then they "hopefully" become all-pros etc etc. obviously there are a lot of players who take ped's and still never rise above mediocre.

that should have read then they "hopefully" become all-pros etc etc. obviously there are a lot of players who take ped's and still never rise above mediocre.

I get ya.

Hey if Pace sticks around and scraps up 6+ sacks...great, Im really here nor there when it comes to him.

I just think as a vet...he should live in the now and be a little bit more enthused about having a job...moreso with this team.

But, I dont recall who wrote this article and it could be one of those fantastic spin jobs we seem to be famaliar with...maybe he did show umpfff and it was omitted to keep that entertaining "circus" aura...like I said, here nor there, buddy.

well Tampa Bay can enjoy our sloppy seconds.  I hope Revis enjoys playing against Juiio Jones, Steve Smith and Drew Brees 6x a year.

well Tampa Bay can enjoy our sloppy seconds.  I hope Revis enjoys playing against Juiio Jones, Steve Smith and Drew Brees 6x a year.

Why wouldn't he? Those match ups will get much more media coverage and if he's succeeds then it back to '09 Revis hype machine. Also he will be shutting down Colston not Bress to correct you. Steve Smith  doesn't appear to love the island that much. Jones hasn't been on vacation to the island large part to his schedule. Not sure if you played football but if you have then you know players are excited for these thing not the other way around.

Why wouldn't he? Those match ups will get much more media coverage and if he's succeeds then it back to '09 Revis hype machine. Also he will be shutting down Colston not Bress to correct you. Steve Smith  doesn't appear to love the island that much. Jones hasn't been on vacation to the island large part to his schedule. Not sure if you played football but if you have then you know players are excited for these thing not the other way around.

now that Revis isn't on the Jets, he sucks.  Cmon. We all know that. 

now that Revis isn't on the Jets, he sucks.  Cmon. We all know that. 

If he's healed from the injury he's one of the top 5 defensive players in football.  No matter how bitter anyone is this is undeniable.  But that ACL is a big deal.  It'll be interesting around here if he starts getting torched.

If he's healed from the injury he's one of the top 5 defensive players in football.  No matter how bitter anyone is this is undeniable.  But that ACL is a big deal.  It'll be interesting around here if he starts getting torched.

With all the HGH and deer antlers, he's not only gonna come back, he could be better. See Peterson, Adrian. 

With all the HGH and deer antlers, he's not only gonna come back, he could be better. See Peterson, Adrian. 

RB's are not CB's.  CB's require much more lateral agility in every direction.  And Adrian Peterson is not human.  I thought this was well-established.  Just because he came back stronger from the injury does not mean Revis will.

Its going to be fun watching him in that division.  Clearly Revis is the best CB in Football, but I do wonder if it will be as glaringly obvious not in Rex's system.

Archived